Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Low season, high life DL adventures--complete 6/17!

It's official...we're going back to Disneyland in just under two weeks! Jan 29th to be exact. I've been wanting to start a pre-trip report but feeling guilty because I hadn't finished my August (yes, August!) trip report. That trip report is finally complete (http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2192566) so I can start this thread with a clear conscience. Well, almost...I never wrote a trip report for our Gay Days weekend...

Here's the cast of characters:
Me(32): Hawleys
DW(31): Disboards name coming soon! Maybe...I'm trying to convince her.
DFM(36): DW's childhood friend and one half our favorite couple.
DFC(31): DFM's longtime girlfriend and the other half of our favorite couple.

Here's a pic of DW and I from our August 09 trip

No pics of DFM and DFC as I haven't asked yet if I can post a picture.

M and C haven't been to Disneyland since they were kids and since they have had to hear ALOT about our trips this year, we were pestering them to come on a trip with us. A free ticket through the Give a Day, Get a Disney Day volunteer promotion is what finally convinced them. We had a great time volunteering last Saturday. You can read about our fun encounter with Mickey and Minnie here: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2296674&page=11

Coming up: The hotel dilemma

Last edited by Hawleys; 06-17-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: I can't spell.
Hawleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Sign me up!!!

Blogging about life and Disney
Live Well - Laugh Often - Run Disney

Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle Ella View Post
Sign me up!!!
Done. And welcome.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

The hotel dilemma

I've been doing much waffling about where to stay on this trip. I booked the Hojo several weeks ago because the Entertainment Rate was available and because we had a really great stay in August. I know the rooms are clean and comfortable and the skylights are great.

But...M and C are for now planning to just go to Disneyland for one day using their GADGADD tickets. (I'm sort of hoping they will upgrade to 2-day hoppers but that's $$$ so I don't want to push it.) DW and I have APs so we're going to trade one of our GADGADD tickets in for the fastpasses. Even so, to really show them the park in just one day, DW is insisting we need a Magic Morning. With just two days and two nights in Anaheim, I have to agree with her.

Of course, to get Magic Morning, we have to stay at a Disney hotel. AP rates for Paradise Pier are pretty reasonable; $139 + tax and resort fee. But secretly, I've had my heart set on renting points to stay at the DVC villas at the Grand Californian. Despite some serious trolling on the DVC rent/trade board, I've been unable to come up with a rental. So somehow this morning, I talked to DW and she convinced me that we should just make a reservation at the Grand Californian. OMG! She reminded me of how great we've been at funding our retirement and told me I could consider it a wicked early birthday present.

Long story short: I got on the phone this morning and booked a Grand Californian park view reservation with a very nice part fairy godmother cast member. I can't believe it!! This reservation is an even bigger splurge than our original trip. The Disney snowball has hit me hard.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Single Digits Dance!

Today I am doing my single digits dance!

We sent M and C a little pre-trip package yesterday. It included a letter from Mickey Mouse with Disneyland training tips (walk, walk, walk!), a Disneyland map and a CD of our favorite songs from Disney movies. DW had a blast making the mix and has been playing it pretty much non-stop. I just love the song "He's a Tramp".

The weather in the Bay Area been nothing but rain, rain, rain, thunder and rain. Hope that everyone in SoCal is staying dry and safe.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Just got Friday the 29th off from work so that we can fly in earlier in the day and spend more time at the Grand Californian...DW advocated for this plan even though we will pay a change fee on our plane tickets. She is becoming quite the enabler.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Pixar Play Parade

Nasty weather seems to have subsided in the Bay Area.

A big shout out to MyMonkies who shared preferred seating passes to the Pixar Play Parade which we have never seen. We'll be there on Friday evening! One week to go...
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #8
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Just one more day...

...until we head to Disneyland! I am so excited. I have a sore throat this morning but I am ignoring it and drinking lots of tea.

DW and I have decided that over the course of our DLR visits this year we would like to experience all the attractions. That means that we're going to spend some time Friday going on NEW to us attractions like the Astro Orbitor and the Maliboomer. I'm scared (in an excited way) to go on the Maliboomer. I did a smaller version at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and really didn't like it at all. But I've done ToT several times since then and really liked it so I'm hoping I'll be ok. At least there is usually only a short line to be nervous in.

Last night DW made a cute Disney first aid kit for DFM and DFC. Toy Story bandaids, ponchos and Lifesavers candy wrapped in plain brown paper with a red first aid cross drawn on it then tied up with plain twine. We found a cute Mickey tag to attach with their names.

Fingers crossed for good weather and good health!!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Great report so far! Weather should be pretty good, but even when the sun's out it's a little chilly.DD10 and I went on Monday and wore our jackets most of the time.

You'll love Maliboomer! My DD finally got tall enough just recenty to ride it and she just loves it. She loves ToT was well.

Funny thing you should mention the Pixar Parade and preferred seating. I don't know where that is but on Monday my DD were walking by just as the parade was starting and there was a roped off area (for guest to walk from one side of the street to the other-the whole street is boarded off in Hollywood). A CM was just taking down the ropes so we were able to sit right up front with no problem. The area was right at the start of the parade route, just East of Sun Plaza and at the end of Hollywood.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I'm so jealous that you are staying at CG. We've never stayed at DLR but we have at WDW. I love staying on property. Unfortunately since we live so close it just doesn't make sense to spend the night. But I like the rate of $139 at PP. Sounds interesting!
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneydaz View Post
Great report so far! Weather should be pretty good, but even when the sun's out it's a little chilly.DD10 and I went on Monday and wore our jackets most of the time.

You'll love Maliboomer! My DD finally got tall enough just recenty to ride it and she just loves it. She loves ToT was well.

Funny thing you should mention the Pixar Parade and preferred seating. I don't know where that is but on Monday my DD were walking by just as the parade was starting and there was a roped off area (for guest to walk from one side of the street to the other-the whole street is boarded off in Hollywood). A CM was just taking down the ropes so we were able to sit right up front with no problem. The area was right at the start of the parade route, just East of Sun Plaza and at the end of Hollywood.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I'm so jealous that you are staying at CG. We've never stayed at DLR but we have at WDW. I love staying on property. Unfortunately since we live so close it just doesn't make sense to spend the night. But I like the rate of $139 at PP. Sounds interesting!
Hi Dizneydaz! We have our fingers crossed for good weather but will definitely bring our jackets as well. Thanks for the tip. Send me your good luck thoughts for the Maliboomer too! It seems scarier than ToT to me because you are outside so you can see how high up you are.

I'll make sure to report back about priority parade seating...it may be so uncrowded that we don't even need it.

As for staying at the Grand Californian, this is a total one time splurge for us and I can't wait! You may miss out on staying at the resort because you live so close but I wish I could get to Disneyland by driving for 30 minutes. Totally jealous.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Saturday Magic Morning Plans

Here's the email DW sent to our friends to get them pumped up for Magic Morning. It made me laugh so I thought I would share.

You guys said you were ready to go native with us.

Your mission: Magic Morning
Date: 20100130
Time: 0700-0800
Rendezvous: 0630, Disneyland Entry Gates

Magic Morning Mission Objectives

- Maximize Fantasyland Fun
- Calibrate DFC's Scary Ride Meter using a Binary Search Algorithm

Plan of Attack

- 0700, Enter through gates and "walk with purpose" to through
Sleeping Beauty's Castle to Fantasyland.
- Hit Peter Pan, the most popular slow loader
- Knock off Dumbo, the second most popular slow loader.
- Engage the Matterhorn, the middle tier Disneyland roller coaster.
Constructed 1959. No drops or loops. Harold, the Yeti installed in the
1979 refurbishing.*
- Investigate line for Finding Nemo, the third most popular slow loader
- Return to Fantasyland, continue ground assault on desired rides
- 0800, retreat to Tomorrowland

Mission Reward: Sleep in as late as you want on Sunday, January 31st.

Over and out.
- Agent Collett

* If Matterhorn goes well, Space Mountain, will be targeted. If not,
the alternate target of Big Thunder Mountain Rail Road will be
engaged.

Code Phrases
"Walking with purpose" - Fast walking. There is no running in Disneyland.
Slow Loader - Rides that accumulate long, slow lines because they
load/unload people into the ride slowly.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 AM   #12
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawleys View Post
Hi Dizneydaz Send me your good luck thoughts for the Maliboomer too! It seems scarier than ToT to me because you are outside so you can see how high up you are.
That's what makes it so great! One of the best things about Maliboomer is when you get to the top your bottom comes off the seat and your legs go up! So fun!
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizneydaz View Post
That's what makes it so great! One of the best things about Maliboomer is when you get to the top your bottom comes off the seat and your legs go up! So fun!
Ooohh..my stomach dropped just reading this. I'm going to have to screw up my courage to do this!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Hawleys
DIS Veteran

And we're off!

Getting on the train in 1 hour, the plane in 3 hours. Disneyland at 9am tomorrow!

Catch you all on the flip side.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawleys View Post
Getting on the train in 1 hour, the plane in 3 hours. Disneyland at 9am tomorrow!

Catch you all on the flip side.
Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Blogging about life and Disney
Live Well - Laugh Often - Run Disney

Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: