|01-27-2010, 04:46 PM||#1|
Hidden Mickey for Haiti
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Hidden Mickey for Haiti REVEALED!!! - $2035 raised.
Goal: at least $1000
UPDATE - TOTAL MONEY RAISED SO FAR: $2035, including $360 Gov't of Canada match
Last week I was staying at Coronado Springs with my wife. We had gotten the news about Haiti, and, boy did we feel odd (guilty?) being at the most magical place on earth while just a few hundred miles away so much suffering was going on. Well, we made a donation to the Red Cross via their website, yet still didn't feel quite right.
Now, I'm somewhat known for having half-baked ideas and marching to the beat of a different drummer. So, when I saw a work crew repairing some decorative "stuff" at the resort, it was no great surprise that the idea popped into my head about commissioning a "Hidden Mickey for Haiti." I didn't take the time to think this all the way through, but went ahead and "persuaded" the crew to make a Hidden Mickey in the work they were doing. I must say, I was very impressed at the quality of their work!
There were a few conventioneers still out by the bar area, so I hit them up to make a $10 donation via text (by texting "haiti" to phone number 90999) in exchange for being one of the first people to see this. Well, this generated a little bit of money, but certainly not much...
So, this is where YOU FOLKS come in, being, as best I can tell, some of the leading authorities of "all things Disney," and obviously a good, caring group of people.
Here's how the HIDDEN MICKEY FOR HAITI fundraiser works:
WHAT YOU DO:
1) You pick a charity that is saving lives in Haiti as we speak. I suggest you look at Charity Navigator to see the 4-star charities and their plans if you need help selecting one. Here is a super-quick link to the American Red Cross Haiti Fund.
2) Make a donation of ANY AMOUNT, EVEN IF IT IS JUST A DOLLAR, directly to that charity.
3) Private message me that you have done this, letting me know what name to honor.
WHAT YOU GET:
1) First and foremost, a "warm fuzzy" that you have helped save lives and ease the suffering of the people of Haiti
2) Pictures of the Hidden Mickey, as well as exact directions to it. IT IS A GOOD ONE!
3) Public recognition on these forums (in the name you specified), as well as the "rights" to use the title "Official Helper of Hidden Mickey for Haiti," and the Official Badge, in these forums and anywhere else you'd like.
I have been in touch with Steve and Vickie Barrett, THE AUTHORITIES on Hidden Mickeys about this. Here is an email of support I received:
MY FUNDRAISING GOAL IS ONLY $1,000. Surely we can meet and exceed that. I know many of you, or MOST of you, have already done something for Haiti. If you haven't, here is an opportunity. If you HAVE, well, can't you dig a little, tiny bit deeper, even if it is just $1?
I wish to thank my nephew, WeatherbySwann, who is a frequent poster on these boards. He inspired me to take the time to give this a go. I'd encourage you to take a look at his website http://www.blakeonline.com, which is a great Disney resource.
Last edited by Slippy; 04-15-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Donor and Donations Update
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|