Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 PM   #736
52plan4
Mouseketeer

Keeping our fingers, arms, toes and eyes crossed for some sort of access while we are there April 12-16!

What can you tell me about what a soft opening typically involves?

Is it reasonable to hold out hope that we may participate in a soft opening during our April visit if the grand opening hoopla takes place the end of May-please give me your educated speculations-we cannot make another family trip for at least 2+ years.`
Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #737
52plan4
Mouseketeer

Also fogot to ask-Would staying on site increase our odds in any way of participating in some sort of preview? We will be staying at RPR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #738
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Just got our park passes from AAA. WooHoo! They still have the special: it was $95 for 7 consecutive days if anyone is looking for them.

Also, finally saw the HP exhibit at the Museum of Scienc (Boston). It was fantastic! If anyone is going to be in the Boston area before Feb. 21st, it is a must see for Potter fans.

Thanks for all the picture updates.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #739
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52plan4 View Post
Also fogot to ask-Would staying on site increase our odds in any way of participating in some sort of preview? We will be staying at RPR
Probably not for a soft opening.

Quote:

Is it reasonable to hold out hope that we may participate in a soft opening during our April visit if the grand opening hoopla takes place the end of May-please give me your educated speculations-we cannot make another family trip for at least 2+ years.`
A soft opening is when the new attraction is opened sporadically for guests who just happen to be in the area at the time. There is no schedule for soft openings and they can end at any time. To say it's a "hit or miss" is an understatement.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #740
yaytezIOA
ioacentralveteran

I had heard that the hours extend in March and April, but that ends up being Spring Break. Someone else was convinced we'd have a soft opening then.
The more I think about it, the less I think they'll soft open it. They have to nail this out of the park. It will be the whole experience or nothin.
That being said, another photo update.
On one hand it makes sense to soft open, to get reaction and to make sure its working properly and to train....on the other hand, so much is riding on this they can't afford any bad reviews from people who dont know its just "in rehearsals".
Old 01-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #741
the Dark Marauder
Proud Redhead
Time Travel Grand Master
It has achieved Legendary status

Quote:
Originally Posted by rie'smom View Post
Darth, please tell me that we'll all be at Hogwarts by April 28th.
No guarantees. You'll just have to keep watching updates. I know, no fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trstno1 View Post
Hey Darth,
Can you say how you are in a position to know, without giving too much away. I am going to Clearwater Beach in March, and I am trying to decide on a side trip to Orlando.
I personally know some of the TMs that will be working at Forbidden Journey. That's all I can say.

Quote:
Keeping our fingers, arms, toes and eyes crossed for some sort of access while we are there April 12-16!

Soft opening = technical rehearsal. Express is NOT honored, operating hours could be very erratic, or it could be not operating at all. You are not guaranteed that you will be able to ride. Various effects may not be functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaytezIOA View Post
I had heard that the hours extend in March and April, but that ends up being Spring Break. Someone else was convinced we'd have a soft opening then.
The more I think about it, the less I think they'll soft open it. They have to nail this out of the park. It will be the whole experience or nothin.
That being said, another photo update.
On one hand it makes sense to soft open, to get reaction and to make sure its working properly and to train....on the other hand, so much is riding on this they can't afford any bad reviews from people who dont know its just "in rehearsals".
Bolded text = crucial. No amount of practice runs can prepare the TMs for when there are real riders riding/getting stuck on the ride. It does help so that things can be figured out/tweaked before the Grand Ceremony. Merlin forbid the staff is not prepared if JK Rowling and Daniel Radcliffe were to get stuck on the ride.

Example of Excellent Soft Opening: ROTM
Example of Being Fed to the Wolves: Rockit
Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 PM   #742
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of Felipe, Orlando United
http://www.orlandounited.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe
Harry Potter fan sites have been getting this from Universal:

Quote:
The magical transformation continues. Although still very much a work in progress, the magnificence of Hogwarts castle is beginning to take shape above Hogsmeade as work continues on The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Hogwarts will be the home of a thrilling, new, state-of-the-art attraction - Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey - that uses ground-breaking technology to bring the magic, characters and stories of Harry Potter to life in ways never before experienced. Set to open in Spring 2010 only at Universal Orlando Resort, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will feature multiple themed attractions, shops and a restaurant.

I recommend viewing it in one of the fansites, such as here on Leaky, where it's in enormous resolution.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #743
Don Pacho
Uncle Frank

Courtesy of Samuele, Orlando United
http://www.orlandounited.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuele
Here there are some:

Many others are at Orlando theme Parks News.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM   #744
ky07
Proud Redhead
Earning My Globe •o•
Yeah and we all are trying to get together

Boy they have gotten alot done since last year

Old 01-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #745
tzuhouse
DIS Veteran

Very excited! Purchased tickets online at the beginning of the month. Spent 28 days at WDW in November. Now we'll finally venture elsewhere, for Harry. We are going in October. Not sure of exact dates yet. Having to work between different events. We won't be staying onsite. Do you think it would be worth it to buy the passes I read about that act like FPs?

Mary
2010 - 9 nts Bonnet Creek 10/17 - DVC OWNERS!!!!
2011 - 2 nts ASMo, 4 nts Yacht Club, 1 nt ASSp
2012 - 1 nt Pop, 1 nt CBR, 5 nts Bonnet Creek, 2 nts OKW, 4 nts Disney Dream, 2 nts SSR, 4 nts ASMo, 7 nts Disney Magic, 11nts OKW
2013 - 4 nt Disney Magic, 8 nt Disney Magic, 5 nts CSR
2014 - 4 nts BW, 4 nts OKW, 3 nts Disney Magic, 1 nt BLT, 2 nts GF, 2 nts AKL, 1 nt BW

Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #746
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Uh Oh! Not what I wanted to hear. I'll be there May 1st-9th. I cut and pasted this from the blog at the top of the main DIS page:

'Regarding opening date, Universal plans to open the Wizarding World of Harry Potter late spring 2010. Delays may push the opening date back to summer 2010 (remember the opening delays for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit), but a hopeful opening estimate is late May/early June. Interestingly, unlike other new theme park attractions in the area such as: Universal’s the Simpsons Ride, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Manta at SeaWorld, or Disney’s Toy Story Midway Mania, no soft-openings are planned for the attractions in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. However, there will be an invitation only gala VIP Grand Opening sometime in late spring 2010. Universal is likely to increase the 2-Park Unlimited Admission ticket price in 2010, so purchase tickets now to save money. Those tickets will be valid when you visit Universal next year.'
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #747
fayt19
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Uh Oh! Not what I wanted to hear. I'll be there May 1st-9th. I cut and pasted this from the blog at the top of the main DIS page:

'Regarding opening date, Universal plans to open the Wizarding World of Harry Potter late spring 2010. Delays may push the opening date back to summer 2010 (remember the opening delays for Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit), but a hopeful opening estimate is late May/early June. Interestingly, unlike other new theme park attractions in the area such as: Universal’s the Simpsons Ride, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Manta at SeaWorld, or Disney’s Toy Story Midway Mania, no soft-openings are planned for the attractions in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. However, there will be an invitation only gala VIP Grand Opening sometime in late spring 2010. Universal is likely to increase the 2-Park Unlimited Admission ticket price in 2010, so purchase tickets now to save money. Those tickets will be valid when you visit Universal next year.'
That's really irritating. Late May/early June is NOT Spring.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #748
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayt19 View Post
Unfortunately it is. The first day of summer is officially June 21.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #749
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fayt19 View Post
I know it's discouraging but you know what's going to happen. Technically...Universal has until 6/30 before WWoHP must be open per the contract. So...let's hope it opens well before 6/30.

Quote:
Interestingly, unlike other new theme park attractions in the area such as: Universal’s the Simpsons Ride, Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, Manta at SeaWorld, or Disney’s Toy Story Midway Mania, no soft-openings are planned for the attractions in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. However, there will be an invitation only gala VIP Grand Opening sometime in late spring 2010.
I think it makes perfect sense not to do a soft opening considering the majority of the project has been kept quiet...which is very unusual. I would imagine Universal wants to make sure people are blown away right from the start instead of "leaks" taking some of the fun away.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #750
ready4mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:

It's funny- I'm actually split between being disappointed and being relieved! We'll be there at the end of April, and as much as I'd love to see WWOHP, I was truly dreading the crowds if it wound up being close to opening weekend! This way here, I know the crowds will be manageable (especially with FOTL) and we can go back next year for HP! It'll give us something to look forward to
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: