Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 AM   #61
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insoin View Post
Thanks, I had not thought of that. Great advise. I will stick to the plan as directed.
I just started reading Running for Mortals by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend it. They explain that your heart and lungs will adapt much more quickly than your muscles and joints. So, sometimes we feel like increasing our duration and speed, but the rest of our body isn't ready for that and can lead to injury.

**NEW TR** S.O.C.K. and Stitch Return to the World with a Dog
carissanboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #62
QTnursestudent
Earning My Ears

I love this program!! I've done it before but I'm starting over again. My new treadmill should be here on Tuesday. It's gonna go right in front our the little window air conditioner we have in the exercise room. It'll be great on those hot, steamy, windy South Texas days! (a/c's blowing right now in fact)

Will start the C25K again this week! Still haven't thought too much further than that.

1980 Fort Wilderness Campsites
1988 Off Site (high school band trip)
1/2010 POR 1st half marathon (1st race ever)
1/2011 WL 2nd WDW half marathon (hubby in Afghanistan)
QTnursestudent is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #63
princessfionasmom
DIS Veteran

Oh I'm so excited I found this!!! My friend and I are doing the WDW half marathon Jan 2011 and it will be our first. We are walkers and have decided to take the plunge to running. I was at my spinning class and the instructor who did the full marathon a few weeks ago was talking about it and I was so inspired that when we left spinning I said to my friend "I'm gonnas ask DH if he wants to do half marathon next year" her reply, "screw your DH, I'm doing it with you!" So now we are doing the couch to 5k. I just started last week, then got sick but I'm getting back into it tomorrow. My friend is in much better shape than I am, I'm with the group that when I step on the wii fit is says "OOOOH", yeah, I'm obese. I was horrified. Time to get in shape once and for all.
2/02 ASSp - 5/03 offsite -5/04 Pop - 9/04 DCL - 5/06 Pop - 3/07 SOG - 12/08 SSR/POP - 10/09 BLT/OKW - 06/10 BWV/BLT 01/11 BLT - 1/2 Marathon 09/12 celebrate DH's recovery from BMT & 15 yr wedding anniversary! 05/13 Expedition Everest 5k w/DS 10/13 GFV Adult only W&D Next up 11/14 BLT for W&D 1/2 marathon
princessfionasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #64
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTnursestudent View Post
I love this program!! I've done it before but I'm starting over again. My new treadmill should be here on Tuesday. It's gonna go right in front our the little window air conditioner we have in the exercise room. It'll be great on those hot, steamy, windy South Texas days! (a/c's blowing right now in fact)

Will start the C25K again this week! Still haven't thought too much further than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfionasmom View Post
Oh I'm so excited I found this!!! My friend and I are doing the WDW half marathon Jan 2011 and it will be our first. We are walkers and have decided to take the plunge to running. I was at my spinning class and the instructor who did the full marathon a few weeks ago was talking about it and I was so inspired that when we left spinning I said to my friend "I'm gonnas ask DH if he wants to do half marathon next year" her reply, "screw your DH, I'm doing it with you!" So now we are doing the couch to 5k. I just started last week, then got sick but I'm getting back into it tomorrow. My friend is in much better shape than I am, I'm with the group that when I step on the wii fit is says "OOOOH", yeah, I'm obese. I was horrified. Time to get in shape once and for all.
There's quite a few of us "newbies" doing the half marathon this year.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #65
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

I have given the program a "trial run" this week and I think I will start tomorrow with week 1. No reason for me to wait until Feb 1st. I feel I am mentally ready to start this!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #66
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
I have given the program a "trial run" this week and I think I will start tomorrow with week 1. No reason for me to wait until Feb 1st. I feel I am mentally ready to start this!
Good for you! I ended up getting too excited to wait for a Monday start date so I started on a Thursday. Let us know how your first day goes.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #67
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Week 2 Day 1 was not bad! I was careful with my speed, but I still felt really good when I was on my last run!

I did make one change. I had read someplace that you should put the treadmill at a .5-1.00 incline to simulate outdoor running. Well, I was doing .5 and my shins were killing me, so I dropped it to no incline and I felt tons better today.

Good luck to all of you starting this week!!
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #68
jeepgirl30
DIS Veteran

I was all set to start this am. I downloaded the podcast and all. I hit the gym at 5am and crap, headphones don't work.

I didn't print the program as I planned to use the podcast.

However, I decided to do something anyway. I did a variation of walking/running/walking, etc. I did 3 miles in 40 minutes. I know I can do this!

Throughout I kept thinking forget it, i'll do this on my own and maybe work up to running 2 miles. But now I know I can do the 3 miles and so what if i didn't do the exact program today, I can wed. or tomorrow even!

I'm so happy to have found this thread. My DH is not exactly supportive. He is one of "those guys" at the gym, the ones that lift insane weights, run for 5 miles and snicker at people who "waste their time walking". So when I say I did three miles he just rolls his eyes at me. I can't wait for the day i can say "honey I did three miles today and RAN the whole way"!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #69
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl30 View Post
I was all set to start this am. I downloaded the podcast and all. I hit the gym at 5am and crap, headphones don't work.

However, I decided to do something anyway. I did a variation of walking/running/walking, etc. I did 3 miles in 40 minutes. I know I can do this!

Throughout I kept thinking forget it, i'll do this on my own and maybe work up to running 2 miles. But now I know I can do the 3 miles and so what if i didn't do the exact program today, I can wed. or tomorrow even!

I'm so happy to have found this thread. My DH is not exactly supportive. He is one of "those guys" at the gym, the ones that lift insane weights, run for 5 miles and snicker at people who "waste their time walking". So when I say I did three miles he just rolls his eyes at me. I can't wait for the day i can say "honey I did three miles today and RAN the whole way"!
Good for you!! That is so awesome that you worked out anyway, despite having a headphone failure. That takes dedication instead of using it as an excuse.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 AM   #70
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl30 View Post

Three miles in 40 minutes is respectable in my book. That's better than 15/mile, and the requirement for the Disney marathons is 16/mile. You're ahead of the game there! Keep it up!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #71
IWISHFORDISNEY
Cant get enough of the mouse!
It was tricky with only one bathroom
I will never ever forget that embarrassing episode of being farted upon

Location: The First State but wishing it was the Sunshine State...

I did D1W1 today and it felt really hard on the last two cycles. I am such a whimp. I thought I was ready and it seems today was worse than my two trial runs. Oh well I will keep up but I dont know how I will be able to move past week one at this pace. Wish me luck.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #72
palmettocharm
Mouseketeer

I am actually contemplating repeating Week One so I know I'll be ready to start on Week Two. I thought I was going to be ready for Week Two today, but I did W1D3 on Saturday outside and realized I might need to stay put for another week...

palmettocharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #73
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWISHFORDISNEY View Post
I did D1W1 today and it felt really hard on the last two cycles. I am such a whimp. I thought I was ready and it seems today was worse than my two trial runs. Oh well I will keep up but I dont know how I will be able to move past week one at this pace. Wish me luck.
The 2nd to last run is always the hardest for me. The last one is difficult too, but I know it's the last one so I know I can get through it. You're doing fine. And there's nothing wrong with repeating week 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettocharm View Post
I am actually contemplating repeating Week One so I know I'll be ready to start on Week Two. I thought I was going to be ready for Week Two today, but I did W1D3 on Saturday outside and realized I might need to stay put for another week...
The book Running for Mortals follows a similar approach as the C25K program, but I think they take it even slower. I say definitely repeat week 1 if you feel the need. You'll prevent injury that way too.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #74
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

I've been doing Master's swimming for quite some time now and the first thing you learn in that group is the word "MODIFY!". If the workout is beyond your current fitness level, you can modify and adjust the # of laps or the pace to what you can do today. You do that until one morning, you find yourself keeping up with the full workout. One of my coaches used to respond this way when anyone would say "I can't!" His answer was "Yes you can, but not if you quit. You can modify, and then you will build up to it."

This applies to C25K too. You can modify and succeed, but you can't succeed if you quit.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #75
carissanboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan09 View Post
I've been doing Master's swimming for quite some time now and the first thing you learn in that group is the word "MODIFY!". If the workout is beyond your current fitness level, you can modify and adjust the # of laps or the pace to what you can do today. You do that until one morning, you find yourself keeping up with the full workout. One of my coaches used to respond this way when anyone would say "I can't!" His answer was "Yes you can, but not if you quit. You can modify, and then you will build up to it."

This applies to C25K too. You can modify and succeed, but you can't succeed if you quit.
Great post.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: