Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #196
Marlton Mom
My favorite ride is the "ladies room"...... it's air conditioned and you get to sit down! *Marlton Mom is Rockin a Nikon D90!

Thoughts on "Technicolor"

When I got the Tokina 11-16 it was because I had a craving to go wide and get everything in. I have not yet even begun to explore the possibilities of going in close for the creative distortion/emphasis effect.

I feel like I got lucky with the exposure on this shot since the sign was not blown out like it always seems to be for everything else I shot at night. It buffed up quite nicely in photoshop too..... This leads me to believe that you expose the image to reign in the blow outs and blinkies and then open up the rest of the image with the fill light adjustment in the "Camera Raw" editing software.

I feel so fortunate to be photographing in an age where one can use software like photoshop to bring the image out of the camera and align it with ones intentions for the image.

To me it's almost like living in the golden age of "Technicolor" which was used in the late 40's and early 50's. Disney utilized Technicolor for Snow white and Fantasia!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor

Marlton Mom
Marlton Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 PM   #197
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

^Excellent shot, I have one just like it from during the day. The only suggestion I might make, if you're interested, is maybe opening it in Photoshop and using an adjustment layer to darken the sky just a tad (and then mask out the rest, as the editing for the rest of the image is spot-on). Either way, beautiful work!

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #198
Marlton Mom
My favorite ride is the "ladies room"...... it's air conditioned and you get to sit down! *Marlton Mom is Rockin a Nikon D90!

Mission Space at night

I took a gajillion exposures of Mission Space at night hoping to HDR some of them. First attempt at HDR was a mess. (I haven't had the time to learn how to work my software)

This one is just old Camera raw processing with further refinement in Photoshop (Levels, Hue, Contrast). Cropped it and topped it with a copyright notice.

Connect to my flicker site for the story of my daring do in capturing this shot. Note to self, must wear ninja pajamas for night photography on next trip.

Smoochies
Marlton Mom
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #199
DisFam95
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlton Mom View Post

I took a gajillion exposures of Mission Space at night hoping to HDR some of them. First attempt at HDR was a mess. (I haven't had the time to learn how to work my software)

This one is just old Camera raw processing with further refinement in Photoshop (Levels, Hue, Contrast). Cropped it and topped it with a copyright notice.

Connect to my flicker site for the story of my daring do in capturing this shot. Note to self, must wear ninja pajamas for night photography on next trip.

Smoochies
Marlton Mom
Cool shot! What's your flickr site..am I missing it?
Sum/74; Sum/78; Sum/82; Sum/87 Polynesian; Sum/93 Caribbean Beach; 8/95 Port Orleans - Honeymoon; 5/97; 8/99 Caribbean Beach; 9/01 Wilderness Lodge - became a DVC member!!!; 12/02; 1/04; 2/05; 2/06; 10/06; 5/08 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; 6/11 Wildreness Lodge
Me DH DS12 DS8
DisFam95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:36 PM   #200
RweTHEREyet
What makes you think the Tag Fairy doesn't know you?? :D
Will get my Grapefruit Cake at Starring Rolls from now on!
I can't stand not having another trip booked!

Disneyland Hotel pool at night

See who is the first to see this really is?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:45 PM   #201
Marlton Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisFam95 View Post
Cool shot! What's your flickr site..am I missing it?

Thanks!
Just click on the picture to peep at my flicker site.

Here is a link (I think ) http://www.flickr.com/photos/45933094@N08/
Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 AM   #202
DisneySuiteFreak
DIS Veteran

Nice shots everyone! I was wondering if any of you know how to fix the distortion problem when shooting buildings and if you could post a little tutorial for us noobs. I have the Sigma 10-20. I have PSCS3 and NX2, but know next to nothing about using them.
Here are a couple of shots that I would like to correct in CS3 if possible. Both were shot at 10mm. Help! Thanks!

My June 2009 Summer Nightastic Photo Intensive Trip Report Disneyland, Magical Fireworks, Disney's Electrical Parade, Fantasmic!, Ride pics, SeaWorld, Aquarium of the Pacific and Knotts Berry Farm...Updated 3-17-2010 ~ Better late than never!

Previous Trips: 7/2012, Desert Inn and Suites; 1/2012, Hojos Bld 1; 6/2011 DL, Hojos Bldg 2; 9/2009 DL, Hojos King room & Pool Review; 6/2009 DL, Seaworld SD, Aquarium of the Pacific & Knotts Berry Farm, Fairfield Inn and more FFI; 1/2009 DL, Hojos; 1/2008 DL, Hojos Premium 2 Queen DL facing room; 1/2007 DL, Hojos; 1/2006 DL, Hojos; 12/2005 DL, Hojos; 10/2005 DL, Hojos; 12/2004 DL, Hojos; 12/2003 DL, Hojos; 12/2002 DL, Hojos; 12/2001 DL, Hojos; 7/2-14 2001 WDW & US IOA;10/2000 DL Desert Inn and Suites; 10/1999 DL, Anaheim Plaza, 10/1997 Anaheim Plaza...and many previous trips to DL as a kid... We are once again Deluxe Annual Passholders! Just went June 15-18, 2011, am planning a short trip in August 2011, and will be running my first Half Marathon in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon January 2012!!! Nikon D90, Nikon 18-200mmVR, Nikon 70-300mmVR, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm 1.2 AI, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 85mm 1.8, Nikon SB800, and a whole bunch of other stuff to go along with it!
DisneySuiteFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #203
saturndb
I'm Dave and I approved this Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
Nice shots everyone! I was wondering if any of you know how to fix the distortion problem when shooting buildings and if you could post a little tutorial for us noobs. I have the Sigma 10-20. I have PSCS3 and NX2, but know next to nothing about using them.
Here are a couple of shots that I would like to correct in CS3 if possible. Both were shot at 10mm. Help! Thanks!

A quick google search found this:

http://www.khulsey.com/photoshop_tut...orrection.html

See my FLICKR photos

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Del Griffith

My Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D, Canon D30 IR, , Casio Exilm, Canon 70-200 2.8 L, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 28-70 F2.8 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon EF 2X II Extender, BlackRapid, Canon 500D Lens, Cullman Tripod, Gitzo Tripod, gorrillapod and Canon Speedlite 270EX, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, (2) YONGNUO YN-462 CANON FLASH, Zeikos Flash, many back up batteries and memory cards.

saturndb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #204
Marlton Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturndb View Post
THANK YOU!!!
This was awesome.
For reading my mind and knowing just what I needed YOU are now in the running for the Marlton Mom ~Corporation~ 'employee' of the week award.

Winners will have their avatar smooshed on a "plaque" and featured prominently on the front of the family refrigerator.

Competiton IS TOUGH however and you will have to defeat the 11 year running champion known as 'dear son".

Good luck!
Smoocies
Marlton Mom
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #205
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

Just as a little note on shooting with UWA lenses - most of the lenses for UWA sold nowadays are 'rectilinear' lenses - which essentially means they've been designed to minimize distortion on the vertical and horizontal lines when shooting - they emphasize the distortion control most in the center of the frame, with a sharper drop off near the corners. However, this is based on shooting straight-on to your subject - level shooting is crucial to avoid distortion. As soon as you tilt the shooting angle upwards or downwards from the horizon line, you introduce extreme distortion effects.

While this can be very desirable and intended, making for some very cool shots, it should be a tool in your arsenal to use when you want it, not something that happens unintentionally and requiring lots of correction in post processing. So think about the way you are shooting the shot, and decide if distortion is wanted or not. If not, shoot nice and level, straight on to the horizon, 90 degrees from your subject's vertical lines. The lens will usually do an amazing job of keeping those lines nice and straight, without the barrel distortion and perspective skew. If you want that cool UWA distortion effect, then play around with your shooting angle and have fun!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #206
Marlton Mom

First shot: tilting up because if I went back any further to get the top of the building in I'd be in the lagoon. (Cast members have a problem with photography nuts being in the lagoon )

Second shot: the miracle of photoshop.

The moral of this story: Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do and you see if you can fix it later.

Smoocharinos
Marlton Mom
Old 01-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #207
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

You can also use Photoshop's "free transform" tool to fix the issue without having to crop (or without having to crop as much); however, this is not "scientific" (for lack of a better term) and you can end up with odd results. Still, it's what I use most of the time. Normally, I duplicate the layer before doing the transformation so I can use the layer under if it becomes necessary to mask.

EDIT: looks like that article discusses free transform. I have to say I use it in a different manner...when I use it (which is not often as I like the distortion) I normally stretch the photo in ways that 'hide' distortion and possibly actually introduce more distortion that somehow compensates for the original distortion. Yes, my technical knowledge is very limited. I just "do stuff" that looks good to me...

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest

Last edited by WDWFigment; 01-25-2010 at 01:29 PM.
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #208
BorisMD
Mouseketeer

Very nice before and after demonstration. Any idea if Photoshop Elements can do this?

Thanks,

Boris

BorisMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #209
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlton Mom View Post
First shot: tilting up because if I went back any further to get the top of the building in I'd be in the lagoon. (Cast members have a problem with photography nuts being in the lagoon )

Second shot: the miracle of photoshop.

The moral of this story: Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do and you see if you can fix it later.

Smoocharinos
Marlton Mom
Great job! I bookmarked that link since I have ordered my Tokina. It's on backorder, but it will show up eventually. I imagine I'll need to try some straightening myself.

Lovely shot though! What a warm photo!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #210
Marlton Mom

QUOTE: mom2rtk Great job! I bookmarked that link since I have ordered my Tokina. It's on backorder, but it will show up eventually. I imagine I'll need to try some straightening myself.

Until Dave (SaturnDB) posted that link, I hadn't found out how to do that yet on Photoshop. I took a Community College course but we didn't get to that in the software. Now that I have found it, I got busy noodling around and now I have another "tool" in my photo editing tool box! (Thanks again Dave!! )

See what a good influence we are on each other!

I have to balance that by saying there is The Dark Side on the Dis Photography boards..... Those that preach of Tripods and lenses and doohickeys that we MUST have!

Yes I'm talking about the "Acquisitionistas".

I too have fallen to the dark side and now I must repent at the alter of Quicken. With appropriate intervention and soup for dinner 3 times a week I should be back on Ebay in NO TIME!!!

Quote:Lovely shot though! What a warm photo!

Thanks! I like the warm ones vs trying to fiddle with the white balance. I think the stone on the facades is a tan color and they seem to be lit with a not very white light so the yellow is really working overtime here. I'll take the warm tones vs the 'tighty whiteys' anyday!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: