Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #151
Kazzy1548
Listenning to my music, Dreaming about Disney

We are planing to go see HP at universal on our next trip. I was lucky enough to buy tickets before they raised their prices. I am very proud of myself.
DD 13 DD 18
Kazzy1548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #152
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Boy View Post
^Nicely put.

Also someone else said "Universal holds no interest, it's just like a Six Flags park, no themes, just amuesment".

Wow.

EDIT** I mean, just look at the lack of theming in these pictures. Simply unbearable. It's such a shame that a major competitor doesn't theme like Disney does.

In fairness, a lot of this could be Universal's fault. They market themselves as cutting edge and exciting and so on. The first time we went, I was surprised when I found out that Universal has so much variety and such great theming. People just don't know because they've never been or because it's been a long time since they checked it out. Some people go in with certain ideas and you sometimes can't change their minds.

I give money to BOTH companies now and that seems fair.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2010, 12:40 PM   #153
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

The reason I have never gone to Universal has nothing to do with the rides are theming. Actually, from what I've seen online I think I would enjoy Universal and I have considered going there in the past. But, I go to Orlando for one reason and that is disney. Once I get to Disney I don't want to leave! I feel so secluded from the rest of the world, I don't want to leave that.

disneylovin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #154
chrisn
DIS Veteran

We are HUGE WDW and Universal fans! In our half dozen or so trips since 2000, we've never even entertained the idea of not doing one without the other.

We have an upcoming trip next month and it is KILLING me that WWOHP will not be ready.

So....this is the first time EVER that we are actually planning a Florida trip just to do the Universal parks for HP. We will be going in October for Halloween and will not do Disney.

I simply cannot wait another couple years to go and see what it's all about, and I know for a fact that you will be living the movies when you walk into that land.

IOA's theming is spectacular and nothing but!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #155
theDisneyCouple
Earning My Ears

We'll probably go to Universal for the first time when Harry opens. But I agree that we go to Orlando for Disney. Universal is just a bonus...and probably not one I'll go to more than once.

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/lknjgj8ls4gakywk.png[/img]
theDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:03 PM   #156
seadd67
DIS Veteran

We are planing on adding two and a half days to Universal studios on our trip this July.We will be staying at the HRH.When we seen that US was opening Harry Potter that was a given for us to go.But honestly for the exception of a couple of rides we would of avoided US If It wasent for Harry Potter.We just hate to drag our selfs away from the Disney Experince. But we swore when US open HP we would make It a point to go.So this could be our last trip to HS for a long time.And no I do not think Disney will lose any Money on HP,because for the ones that are comeing down for HP,will at least make a apperince at WDW.
seadd67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #157
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I love the looks of Poseidon's temple or whatever that is - but the show they do inside is pretty lame. I usually root for the guy in the old football helmet.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #158
jamstew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Once I get to Disney I don't want to leave!

I'm 64 years old and have been traveling most of my life? There are tons of places I love and will continue to go. Why does anyone care whether or not someone else goes to Universal and why?

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #159
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

I love Universal almost as much as Disney but even so a week at Universal parks is around $100 and a week at Disney is about $250, I just cannot spend the whole week at Universal, all I need is 2 days. Since it adds a lot to do both, we usually do Disney only, but we will definitely hit HP next time, I think it is major upgrade. Universal is pretty themed but in a very different way from Disney.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM   #160
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstew View Post
:thumbs up2

I'm 64 years old and have been traveling most of my life? There are tons of places I love and will continue to go. Why does anyone care whether or not someone else goes to Universal and why?
I don't think anyone really cares if people go to Universal. I just find it interesting when I see people post about how bad Universal is compared to Disney. How lame the theming is, etc. and they've never been there. Odd.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #161
tink1957
DIS Veteran

We are going in May for a 5 night stay at Doubletree Universal, it will be our third time staying near or onsite & the only time we have ever done a strictly Universal trip. I'm trying to talk my kids into going to WDW for a few days as I can't see going to Orlando without visiting my happy place, but they are getting older & WDW has little to interest them. We did a 2 night stay at HRH last Sept with an 11 night stay at WDW & I think I burned them out on WDW for awhile. The only reason we are going back so soon is because of Harry Potter, we are big fans and can't wait to see it.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #162
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feralpeg View Post
I don't think anyone really cares if people go to Universal. I just find it interesting when I see people post about how bad Universal is compared to Disney. How lame the theming is, etc. and they've never been there. Odd.
I agree but I can see how it happens.

Universal ->(associated with) Trill Rides -> Roller Coasters -> Six Flags -> No theming

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #163
newharmony
Mouseketeer

No desire to go to Universal...we got as far as the parking garage once and hated that! All that concrete! How about the new Legoland? I just read that Cypress Gardens has been sold and a Legoland! Florida will be built there.
newharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #164
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

My DH and oldest DD are huge HP fans so we will definitely check it out at some point in the future

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #165
jamstew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newharmony View Post
No desire to go to Universal...we got as far as the parking garage once and hated that! All that concrete! How about the new Legoland? I just read that Cypress Gardens has been sold and a Legoland! Florida will be built there.
I'm definitely looking forward to taking my grandchildren to Legoland!

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: