Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #136
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

Haven't been to Universal in awhile, and when we were there wasn't too impressed. However, we are for sure going to see Harry Potter!!! Also planning on a second day to do other IOA and Universal rides, I did love the mummy rollercoaster! Never have done IOA though. Can't wait. I do feel kind of weird planning a trip w/ only 2 disney days and the other 2 days being universal!
Old 01-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #137
basas
The majority of people are still good people

Interesting replies everyone.

I tend to always spend some time (4-5 days) at Disney in addition to a few days (3-4) at the other area attractions. My next trip looks like I will actually (probably for the first time) be spending more time outside of Disney. Besides the American Idol experience, Disney didn’t add anything significant (and to classify AME as 'significant' is certainly debatable!) to their parks last year (and has nothing planned for this year). I have yet to ride Manta (Sea World), see Aquatica (Sea World’s water park) or ride Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket (Universal Studios) so am tempted to visit those 3 parks and, of course, am really looking forward to the Wizarding World at Islands of Adventure.

Sounds like there are quite a few who are visiting Universal for the first time or the first time in years. Should be interesting to see if Harry Potter is good enough to earn return visits.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #138
Ciciwoowoo
we would both run like heck to get home before the ghosts got us!

We are total WDW fans...have not been to Universal since 1998.

That said, we are going to make sure our next visit to Florida includes a visit to see Harry Potter land! In fact, we are kicking around the idea of making our next visit a Sea World/ Universal trip and skipping WDW altogether. I think the MK is going to look pretty bad, all torn up while they are expanding Fantasyland. It might be worth passing on this time.

We are DVC members, so our trip will probably be onsite at WDW... just won't go to the parks this time.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:42 PM   #139
softball chick
Flying through time and space in the Tardis with my Doctor
ALONS-Y!

As much as the idea of it kills me, we will not be going to visit it on our next trip this coming August. This is mostly because its newness will make it crazy busy and we feel that our time would be better spent at Disney. But being as much of a huge crazy Harry Potter fan as I am, I know that my family will be visiting it at some point. I got to go check it all out since it will basically be my heaven on earth!

The Good Person of Sichuan ~ The Sound of Music ~ The Government Inspector ~ Annie ~ Macb*** ~ Life With Mother Superior ~ The Pajama Game ~ Funny as a Crutch ~ Once in a Lifetime ~ Dracula ~ Beauty and the Beast ~ [Insert Title Here]
softball chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 12:56 AM   #140
Timmy Boy
Choose Thy Fate

Wow, all you Disney people who are thinking of trying Universal for the first time seem "scared" to go over there. It's a theme park just like Disney! Sheesh, just give it a chance. You judging a book by its cover makes you look really childish.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #141
softballmom3
DIS Veteran

In answer to the question, Yes, Yes and Yes!!!! we are definitely going to Universal just for Harry Potter. I have NO desire to go there otherwise. We love Disney! That being said....if I start reading here about how CRAZY it is, we just may wait a yr
softballmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #142
jamstew
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Boy View Post
Wow, all you Disney people who are thinking of trying Universal for the first time seem "scared" to go over there. It's a theme park just like Disney! Sheesh, just give it a chance. You judging a book by its cover makes you look really childish.
Neither scared nor judging a book by its cover in my case. I hate thrill rides, my children are grown, and my grandchildren are too young. Disney is a big part of my childhood. I grew up with the classic movies and the original Mickey Mouse Club. Universal holds no interest for me -- it's that simple. As far as I am concerned, there's nothing "like" Disney, but I do love Harry Potter and will go simply to see the attraction, without riding the ride.

jamstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #143
Scrap_Vamp
DIS Veteran

Our wedding trip last year was the first time we didn't also visit the Universal resorts!

So we are going in order to experience HP, and got a great rate on 2 nights at the Hard Rock Hotel.

However, this year we are going to skip Seaworld for the first time, and do a couple of nights in Fort Lauderdale as well.

If we make it over for Christmas that will probably be a solely Disney trip for us as we can only do a week.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #144
Rip
Proud Redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstew View Post
Neither scared nor judging a book by its cover in my case. I hate thrill rides, my children are grown, and my grandchildren are too young. Disney is a big part of my childhood. I grew up with the classic movies and the original Mickey Mouse Club. Universal holds no interest for me -- it's that simple. As far as I am concerned, there's nothing "like" Disney, but I do love Harry Potter and will go simply to see the attraction, without riding the ride.
Most of the rides there aren't thrill rides.
Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #145
disneylovin24
~Let It Go~

Well, it looks like Harry Potter World will be doing exactly what Universal wanted it to. It will be attracting a lot of new guests and even taking some from WDW

disneylovin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #146
Ericadawn
Earning My Ears

Since so many of you are thinking about trying other things, I'd definitely recommend Busch Gardens in Tampa. It's a great city and BG has animals that AK doesn't, like white tigers.

I love IoA but I think I'll wait for 2011 when all the kinks are out and the crowd will be thinner.
Ericadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #147
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by basas View Post
I'm curious:

For those of you who usually stay on-site at WDW and do not normally venture off property, how many of you plan to spend a day at Universal on your next vacation to check out the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?

It will be interesting to see what impact (if any) it has on Central Florida theme park attendance and if it impacts WDW in any way.
We probably will but we usually do a day at universal anyway. My kids are teens and although we love disney, the coasters are better over at Universal.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #148
Katie Dawn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylovin24 View Post
Well, it looks like Harry Potter World will be doing exactly what Universal wanted it to. It will be attracting a lot of new guests and even taking some from WDW
I know several people who hadn't seriously considered a visit to Orlando but are planning a visit because of HP World. It will be interesting to see how many do US/IOA + Disney and how many do US/IOA + Seaworld/Aquatica.

You know, we just did a Disney + SeaWorld trip and the fact that we were going to be spending part of our time "off Disney campus" did impact our decision to stay off-site -- we weren't going to get free dining or free parking for several days of our stay. It will be interesting to see how all of that plays out!

As you plan, remember... there's nothing magical about being exhausted.

January 2010 Trip to the World: Absolutely Wonderful! Thank You Disboards!
Katie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 AM   #149
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Boy View Post
Oddly, some people think that, if they like Universal, they are doing a disservice to Disney. That's crazy. Disney and Universal have a good relationship in the Orlando area. Yes, they are competitors, but they also know that what brings tourists to Orlando is the many and varied things to do. They actually work together to promote the area and help with Orlando community projects.

A PP was right. Universal is not just thrill rides. I hate thrill rides. I have never ridden Space Mountain, Everest, TOT or Rock'n Rollercoaster at WDW. I don't ride the thrill rides at Universal, yet I find many things to do. Universal has some great live shows. They have a lot of rides that are not thrill rides. What I like best about Universal is the themes. I feel much more like I am on an actual movies set at US than I do at DHS. I still love DHS, but for different reasons. At IOA, I feel like I'm walking into Jurassic Park and I love Suess Landing.

There is something for everyone at both parks. I feel sad for those that refuse to give Universal a chance. They are missing out on some wonderful things, but it is their choice. One of the wonderful things about living in the Orlando area is that I can experience all of the various venues over and over. Life is good!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #150
Timmy Boy
Choose Thy Fate

^Nicely put.

Also someone else said "Universal holds no interest, it's just like a Six Flags park, no themes, just amuesment".

Wow.

EDIT** I mean, just look at the lack of theming in these pictures. Simply unbearable. It's such a shame that a major competitor doesn't theme like Disney does.

Last edited by Timmy Boy; 01-24-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Timmy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: