Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 05:43 AM   #91
NikkiLovesWDW!
"Are you seeing an increase in lateral forces?" "Sure am!"

DH and I NEVER go to Universal but we are so excited to go to Harry Potter. BUT there is no way we are going on our trip this summer! Has anyone mentioned the fact that everyone and their mother wil most likely be there, especially in the first few months? It's not going to be crowded...it's going to be a MADHOUSE!!! I just don't think it'll be worth it, in my opinion. Not yet, anyway.

BUT I bet people who are visiting the REST of Universal Studios will have empty parks!
NikkiLovesWDW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #92
arielmomma
DIS Veteran

We are planning on going over there in September during our adult only trip. It will be our first time at IoA. We've never gone b/c our kids are so little it was just easier to stay at WDW.

DH Me DS10ickeybar: DD7
arielmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 AM   #93
Docwoods
Mouseketeer

Going in October-RPR-can't wait!Actual hotel with real restaurants.Harry here we come!
Docwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #94
SabbyR
Mouseketeer

We are going in December. It's one of the reasons we are going!!! My family can't wait to see the HP theme park. We are really excited about Ollivander's!We are staying at Disney and Taking one day to go over to IoA, just to see Harry Potter!
SabbyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #95
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes8380 View Post
Some people just don't like Harry Potter. I wasn't going to read any of them until I had to read the 1st one for a children's literature class. I honestly went into it with an open mind and could barely finish it. I just don't like fantasy books, the fact that it's Harry Potter isn't going to make me like a genre I don't enjoy reading. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but I'd hardly consider that hating on people who are excited.

I get a LOT of crap from people for being a children's librarian who does not enjoy Harry Potter It's just not for everyone, although I do love what it has done in getting children to read
Agreed. It is not my genre either. I don't think it makes me a hater. I love country music and others don't. I don't consider them haters for it.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #96
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag

Been to WDW nine times and never been to Universal...usually go for 7-11 days. This summer our trip of 10 days will include 4 nights at the Royal Pacific Resort and we will be there for WWoHP!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:49 AM   #97
wdwfan16
DIS Veteran

Absolutely. We even bought our tickets already. We will most likely get there in late 2010.
wdwfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #98
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Absolutely!! For us, Universal is always a part of our "Disney" vacation! I have never been to one without the other. Usually it is just two days, but this last trip, DH and I spent 7 days in Disney parks and 3 in Universal. We stayed at Bonnet Creek, so we were able to spread our Universal days out through the week. Next time we go back (which may not be for a few years), we'll probably do the same thing and spend 3 days at Universal. This past trip, we found we didn't really need 3 days to see & do everything we wanted, but with HP opening, we may need/want the extra time to explore. We are both big Universal & Harry Potter fans, so this is just another reason why our "Disney vacations" are so exciting!

I'm kind of surprised by how many people are hating on Universal/IoA. If you love thrill rides, you are missing out. If you love great theming, you are missing out. Yes, it's Disney's competition, but really...loving one doesn't mean you have to hate the other! And more often than not, people who choose to visit both parks during their vacations are still going to spend a bulk of their time & money at Disney compared to Universal.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #99
rstamm
DIS Veteran

DS and I like Universal, DW does not.

We try and go one day during our Disney trip but not excited at all about 1 new ride for HP.

I was expecting at least 3 new rides since they are putting so much money into HP.

We will ride it like all the other rides they have, I am hoping it will be good but for what they spent it should be the greatest ride of all time.
November 1993--POR; November 1995--POR; December 2003--ASMo; June 2004--PC; December 2004--CSR; July 2005--ASMu & AK; November 2005--ASMo; February 2006--Off Site & ASMu; June 2006--PP (DL); August 2006--ASMo; December 2006--PC; June 2007--Windsor Hills; July 2007--Disney Cruise; August 2007--ASMo;Sep./Oct. 2007--ASMo; June 2008--HoJo (DL); June/July 2008--Windsor Palms; August 2008 ASSports-- December 2008--ASSports/Windsor Palms; June 2009--Windsor Palms; August 2009--DLH; September 2009--ASSports; December 2009--BLT; January 2010--PC; May 2010--AKL, Jambo House; June 2010--Boardwalk; June 2010--Backstage Magic ABD + GCV; August 2010--ASMo; September 2010--AKL, Kidani; November 2010--BLT; June 2011--AKL, Jambo House; July 2011--GCV; October 2011--BLT; November 2011--ASSports; December 2011--BLT; June 2012--Off Site; June 2012--Disney Cruise; June 2012--GCV; June 2012--Aulani; July 2012--GCV; August 2012--VWL; October 2012--AKL, Jambo House; December 2012--BLTJuly 2013 BLT, Oct. 2013 BLT, June 2014 BLT, Oct. 2014 DL GCV.
rstamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #100
parkers218
Mouseketeer

for those who've been....

Hey we always go to disney..never paid attention to US/IoA because our kids were too short to ride anything...but we are planning to go see Harry Potter World. SO My question is any tips?? Places to stay-- Nick hotel? Royal Palm Resort? Best tix to buy for a 1-2 day stay? Any input would be appreciated. I am not familiar with US or that area. I am very excited!! We are going to Disney in Aug so we will take 1 or 2 days to go take a look. Don't know when we will be in FL again and I don't want to wait 5+ years b4 I go. I just hope ther is enough for my 5 and 2.5 year old to do Maybe we'll just do 1 day there and do sea world the other day?..what do you guys think?
Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #101
DisneyGerry
DIS Veteran

was at IOA yesterday and all looking great

BTDT: CSR, POFQ, Y&BC, WL, POR, SSR, CBR, GF, BWV, OKW, HH, and DCL.

Also, AP, DVC, CCL, D23, & Tables in Wonderland.
DisneyGerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #102
Kumquatmelon
Desiring Disney

I'm planning on going, I am not a huge HP fan, but I do want to see how Universal is doing for themselves.
When I was younger, US was apart of my Disney vacation. But, as I have grown to love Disney a bit more, Universal has gone down one on my list. We did go 3 years ago, and it was great. IoA was tons of fun, and I enjoyed it because I was in that stage where kiddie rides were so not cool. But, if I want a vacation that will truly make me cry and laugh and make me feel like a kid inside, it's Disney all the way.
But, from the pictures that I have seen, I think that WWoHP will help boost up US's reputation of theming. US/IoA is known for their thrill rides, not their "WOW" factor. But, I'm not hating on US lovers, it's just that I know there is better. US was never really a competition in my mind. It's just like Six Flags, it's an amusement park... not a magical getaway.

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of sound. A dimension of sight. A dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into...The Twilight Zone. Hollywood, 1939. Amid the glitz and the glitter of a bustling, young movie town at the height of its golden age, The Hollywood Tower Hotel was a star in its own right; a beacon for the show business elite. Now, something is about to happen that will change all that. The time is now on an evening very much like the one we have just witnessed. Tonight's story on The Twilight Zone is somewhat unique and calls for a different kind of introduction. This, as you may recognize, is a maintenance service elevator still in operation, waiting for you. We invite you, if you dare, to step aboard because in tonight's episode, you are the star. And this elevator travels directly to - The Twilight Zone."

Last edited by Kumquatmelon; 01-22-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Kumquatmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #103
Iwant2BAprincess
DIS Veteran

wish we were...

I am dying to go check it out. Until the kiddos came along Dh & I would take a few mini trips to IoA each year-we are both coaster junkies. That being said I just can't justify the ticket cost since my boys are too short to ride most of the rides there, same reason we haven't gone to sixflags with them yet-what is the point if you can't ride..

But for those who are going-have fun!!
Iwant2BAprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #104
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiLovesWDW! View Post
DH and I NEVER go to Universal but we are so excited to go to Harry Potter. BUT there is no way we are going on our trip this summer! Has anyone mentioned the fact that everyone and their mother wil most likely be there, especially in the first few months? It's not going to be crowded...it's going to be a MADHOUSE!!! I just don't think it'll be worth it, in my opinion. Not yet, anyway.

BUT I bet people who are visiting the REST of Universal Studios will have empty parks!
I've been mulling over possible crowd levels and I expect IOA to be a complete madhouse. Those who visit to see HP will probably go ahead and see the rest of the park since they paid for it. I'm undecided about the Studios and since it's my favorite park...
Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #105
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumquatmelon View Post
I'm planning on going, I am not a huge HP fan, but I do want to see how Universal is doing for themselves.
When I was younger, US was apart of my Disney vacation. But, as I have grown to love Disney a bit more, Universal has gone down one on my list. We did go 3 years ago, and it was great. IoA was tons of fun, and I enjoyed it because I was in that stage where kiddie rides were so not cool. But, if I want a vacation that will truly make me cry and laugh and make me feel like a kid inside, it's Disney all the way.
But, from the pictures that I have seen, I think that WWoHP will help boost up US's reputation of theming. US/IoA is known for their thrill rides, not their "WOW" factor. But, I'm not hating on US lovers, it's just that I know there is better. US was never really a competition in my mind. It's just like Six Flags, it's an amusement park... not a magical getaway.
I was with you even if I didn't agree until you compared Universal to Six Flags. Um, no.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: