Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #76
connie1042
DIS Veteran

We are doing HP in July. We will stay a night at the resort so we have FOTL pass. FOLP can only be used once a day for HP. That is what is on their website.
connie1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #77
Timmy Boy
Choose Thy Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
Nope. I am a huge Harry Potter fan but won't waste any of my Disney time to go see the attractions for at least a few years, if then. When I'm in the Orlando area is all Disney all the time, that other place doesn't even exist to me.
Wow. I feel bad for you, there's a whole city worth of stuff to discover.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #78
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

We actually ended up getting an annual pass for Universal to go with our Disney annual as we figured that Universal will probably raise rates after Harry Potter opens.
We went to Universal on our last Disney trip as we were at Disney for 14 days. Found out that the annual pass to Universal was just a little more than 2 of the 2 park/7 day passes and figured that we would go again when we visit Disney after HP opens so it would be to our benefit to get the annual pass - we would probably visit at least once per Disney trip during the year.
Also, we want to go again so that we can see Elliot Dyson (the great sax musician at POFQ) when he performs with the Blues Brothers at Universal.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #79
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Nope, not a Harry Potter fan at all.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #80
bjakmom

DIS Veteran
Tag Fairies DO have a lot of love to go around!

We will be spending 3 nights at UO in the middle of our WDW Aug vacation. It's been 3 years since we've been there (did visit Univ CA 2 yrs ago, though) and HP is definitely the biggest reason we are going this summer - DNeph is a huge HP fan and DGrD will be watching the movies with him this summer before our trip, I'm sure!

bjakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #81
nooneshome
but us dis shutins-send help or APs

DW is going to insist we see HP. I plan to wait a year or so.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #82
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

ABSOLUTELY!!!! We're going to spend at least 3 days there in August and can't wait. I don't understand all the haters ,
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #83
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
I wonder if there's somewhere from where one can see the Castle without being in a moving car. I'll be at WDW next week, and driving past Universal next Sunday morning. I know my wife would love a photo or video of some sort.

We're planning on being there just about a year from now. That should give the opening crowds a chance to cool off a bit. Plus, Universal sees much bigger downswings in the off-season than WDW does.
There's a bridge where Universal Blvd. goes over I-4, as you are driving from the direction of International Drive toward Universal Studios. Ahead and to your left as you are at the stop sign just before the bridge, you can see the top of the Great Hall and Gryffindor Tower at Hogwarts. I tried to get pictures with my camera phone but they didn't turn out, but if you've seen the movies then the castle is very recognizable. I suspect you can see it well from the sidewalk along there also. It isn't the whole castle, but it's enough to be exciting for a big Harry Potter fan. As you drive along Universal Blvd. there are several points where you can see it fairly well.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #84
mmafan
DISDAD #780

Ttt

Yes. I'm looking foward to seeing it.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #85
Hallowishes
DIS Veteran

i will definitely check out the wizarding world of harry potter ... but ill wait till the hype dies down a bit. probably next january, ill take a trip to wdw and spend a day at universal.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #86
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

For August I have 7 nights booked for disney and 1 night 2 days for universal. We did the same thing in December 2008, HP was under construction, at that time we decided that we would not go back until it was open. We did go to disney the last week of 2009 and did not visit universal. There are many great places to visit in Orlando, take the blinders off. If time allows and it has in the past we visit and do many other things while there.

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #87
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I'm going..we'll be there for 10 days so we can take one day out to see the Harry Potter park..it's supposed to be really cool.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #88
goldwest
Earning My Ears

We did not get to US on our trip in 08. Plan to hit it in Jan 11. Having trouble deciding if we will stay at US for front of line privleges or stay whole time at POR. Hate to give up ME but costs for dining and resort would be premium when we arrive (plan on Dec 28) so had thoughts of doing universal first for 4 nights, then heading to POR for the rest of our stay (would have 8 more nights). Budget wise I will have to figure out the cost/benefit!
Old 01-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #89
Ashes8380
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8t Fan View Post
ABSOLUTELY!!!! We're going to spend at least 3 days there in August and can't wait. I don't understand all the haters ,
Some people just don't like Harry Potter. I wasn't going to read any of them until I had to read the 1st one for a children's literature class. I honestly went into it with an open mind and could barely finish it. I just don't like fantasy books, the fact that it's Harry Potter isn't going to make me like a genre I don't enjoy reading. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it, but I'd hardly consider that hating on people who are excited.

I get a LOT of crap from people for being a children's librarian who does not enjoy Harry Potter It's just not for everyone, although I do love what it has done in getting children to read

A few trips that I was too little to remember...
October 1992, Dixie Landings
May 2001, All Star Music
January 2004, Pop Century
January 2005, Pop Century
January 2006, Fort Wilderness
October 2008, Port Orleans Riverside
January 2010, Pop Century
Ashes8380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:27 AM   #90
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post

I'll use Mears to get there. That allows me to eat at Emerils and Tchoup Chop and get wine pairings. (Another reason I don't do the Disney dining plan)

I've never been to Universal and have never even had any interest in checking it out. However, last week I took advantage of the $99.00 unlimited admission 2 parks for seven day tickets and bought three tickets. I plan to be there for at least two days during my May 1st-9th trip (if HP is open) and again for our Oct 23rd-31st trip. If I decide I do like Universal I'll probably upgrade the ticket I use in May to an AP and save the others for another year. The only problem I'm having is if Harry Potter's World is not open by my May trip, then I'm thinking about doing the DxDDP for that trip, but if it is, I'll stay with my basic DDP. I'd need to change my ADRs completely around though if I go with the DxDDP (change to mostly Signature meals). Harry Potter is messing up my ADR planning. If it wasn't for Harry Potter I'd never consider going over to the dark side (US).lol I've always been perfectly happy at WDW.

Nala please tell me how to use Mears to get from CSR to Univiersal. Do they pick you up at your resort or the TTC? How late do they pick you up at Universal? How much is it? Phone number?

Last edited by aubriee; 01-22-2010 at 05:47 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: