Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
matosfam
Mouseketeer

Florida child carseat laws?

I have been looking around and I am very confused about child carseat laws in Florida...
I will have children aged 4 and 7 (both 35-40lbs -ish) when we go to WDW in June and I want to be sure we are obeying the state laws.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Only children thru the age of 3 MUST be in a car seat. I'm only the messenger so please don't start with the accusations..........
What you want to do is your choice but neither of your children need a car seat to legally ride in a car in Florida, they must have their seat belt on.

http://sheriff.org/safety/carseat.cfm

I don't think this has changed for 2010
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
IggyLans
DIS Veteran

Um... they need a booster seat... quote:

"Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat."

'96CBR; '05ASMo; '06CBR; '07POFQ; '07DVC!; '08SSR; '09BWV; '10VB; '10BCV; '11VB; '11SSR; '11BWV; '12VB/SSR/Cruise;
'12AK/BWV; 1/13BWV/OKW; 3/13VB; 11/13DCL/BWV; 1/14SSR-10K; 3/14 VB; 7/14 AKL/BWV
IggyLans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
matosfam
Mouseketeer

Thank you both for your replies. I appreciate it!

I think I see what the PP means though. There does seem to be an intentional "gray area" left by the law when it states that 3 and under must be in a carseat but 40-80 lbs should be in a booster....

We are in PA where all kids must be in a booster until age 8 so I guess we will probably just pack 'em...
Old 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyLans View Post
Um... they need a booster seat... quote:

"Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat."
They should be, but they are not legally required to be.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Florida law is among the most lax in the US in terms of car seats. Here's a short, crisp summary of the legal requirements:

http://www.dmvflorida.org/seat-belt-laws.shtml

Most parents will probably be more conservative than this, but I confess that I allowed my seven year old, 4' 7" son to ride in the back seat with only a lap/shoulder belt and no booster. Yet another entry in my long list of parenting failures, but perfectly legal in Florida.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #7
momhmmx2
Life is a gift...Have Fun!

This topic comes up often and it drives me CRAZY

Why would you provide the safety your child needs at home and not when on vacation?

I work in a Pediatric I.C.U. and have seen the effects of seatbelt injuries that could have been prevented by a booster seat.

So please, please please protect your child.

Thanks!

Me,DH;dd16,ds13
momhmmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momhmmx2 View Post
This topic comes up often and it drives me CRAZY

Why would you provide the safety your child needs at home and not when on vacation?

I work in a Pediatric I.C.U. and have seen the effects of seatbelt injuries that could have been prevented by a booster seat.

So please, please please protect your child.

Thanks!
FWIW, in this particular case, the OP was trying to make sure she was following the laws, thinking that maybe FL was more strict than her home state.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
busyshrew
Mouseketeer

We are planning to bring our child's booster - does anyone know if you can gate-check a booster seat? It is not a big one, it's a lap type.

TIA.
busyshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
syudelson
Mouseketeer

Yes you can gate check any car seat.
syudelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
crashbb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyshrew View Post
We are planning to bring our child's booster - does anyone know if you can gate-check a booster seat? It is not a big one, it's a lap type.

TIA.
Which airline?
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #12
busyshrew
Mouseketeer

We're going JetBlue out of BUF. DH and I will each be carrying on a bag, but are hoping to use our DD's carry on capacity to gate-check the booster seat.
busyshrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
ajkmom3
Earning My Ears

Child Seats w/ Airtran

I had the same questions as well. We will be flying Airtran in February and the e-mail I received back from Airtran said there are no fees for car/booster seats or strollers.
ajkmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 PM   #14
skelooch
DIS Veteran

I am very much in favor of children being in car seats or using seat belts at a minimum in any type of vehicle. But it always amazes me that when riding on Disney Transportation nobody seems to care. There are no restraints of any kind on any forms of Disney Transportation, and often you will see children standing while riding on buses, boats or the monorail.
Why is it any less important while at Disney.

2003 Feb-BCV, May-BCV, Oct-BCV++++2004 Feb-BCV, Mar-BCV, May-BCV, Nov-BCV
2005 Mar-BCV,May-BCV, Sep-BCV, Nov-BCV++++2006 Feb-BCV,May-VB,VWL & BCV,Sep-BCV,Nov-BCV
2007 Feb-BCV,May-BCV,May-OKW,Sep-BCV,Nov-OKW++++2008 Feb-BCV, May-OKW, Aug-BCV, Nov-BCV
2009 Feb-BCV, May-BCV, Aug-OKW, Sep-OKW, Nov-BCV++++ 2010 Feb-BLT&OKW, Apr-OKW, May-OKW, Jul-OKW, Sep-BCV, Nov-BCV
2011 Feb-OKW, May- OKW, Aug-AKV, Sep-OKW, Oct-OKW, Nov-OKW
2012 Feb-OKW, May-OKW, Aug-BCV, Sep-OKW, Nov-OKW, Dec-OKW
2013 Jan, Feb, April, May, Jul, Oct, Nov,
skelooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #15
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelooch View Post
I am very much in favor of children being in car seats or using seat belts at a minimum in any type of vehicle. But it always amazes me that when riding on Disney Transportation nobody seems to care. There are no restraints of any kind on any forms of Disney Transportation, and often you will see children standing while riding on buses, boats or the monorail.
Why is it any less important while at Disney.
It's not that it's less important at Disney, it that it's less important on buses. For a number of reasons, unrestrained people on buses are much less likely to be injured than restrained people in cars.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: