Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
Brygida
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheatl View Post
We went just last weekend (New Year's weekend) and loved it, but it was PACKED. There were no tables available in the cafe, and outside it was about 50 degrees. Thank goodness I found some French guys with whom to share a table inside.
We paid an extra $10 to watch a film (about 1 hour) on Christmas with Walt Disney. There were a lot of home movies, and it was very touching.
People in the museum were very friendly. I chatted with one lady about the death of WD's mother (very heart-breaking) and with another lady about the song "Baby Mine" from Dumbo. We agreed that it's difficult for a mom to listen to it without shedding at least a few tears.
That view out the window is stunning. I was so swept up in the Disney story, I really felt like I was in Hollywood/L.A. Then I came around that corner and knew I was in S.F.
We spent 5 hours total, but I know I will be back.
I am so happy that other Disney Fans are finding this Disney treasure. It is absolutely worth a day out!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 AM   #17
Brygida
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brygida View Post
I am so happy that other Disney Fans are finding this Disney treasure. It is absolutely worth a day out!
Forgot to mention, that for Christmas, my DH got me the Walt Disney Family Museum book... which is now out and available on their website. I devoured it and I reminisced about my recent visit in October (see previous post). Living in New England, we don't get to San Francisco often. But next time I am anywhere near I will visit the museum again!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
disneylandfan60
Earning My Ears

Lovin that Walt Disney Museum

Me and my wife became members to the Museum and checked it out for the first time on 01/09/10 and loved it. We got tickets for 12:00PM and left the exhibits at 3:30PM and we still could not see everything. I thought I knew allot about Walt Disney until I visited this Museum and relied I knew nothing. Then at 4:00 we went down to the Theater that they have on the lower level and watched a screening of 20 Thousand Leagues under the Sea. This theater is small but very nice. I plan to go back to the museum for special exhibits and to watch more films in there theater. I know I could watch these films at home, but there is something about watching them at the museum on the big screen. Next month Lady and the Tramp, I can hardly wait. If anyone is interested in going I do recommend it. Parking is free and the museum is worth every penny, bring your walking shoes.
All Star Movie Resorts 2001
Port Orleans 1992
disneylandfan60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #19
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Thank you all so much for the info here ~ we are planning on visiting California in 3 years time for our silver wedding anniversary and this is going to be a must-do!
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #20
Cinderella

Thank you. We're hoping to visit California for the first time this summer. I didn't know about the museum and it will be high on our list of must do's.
Cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ware Bears View Post
Thank you all so much for the info here ~ we are planning on visiting California in 3 years time for our silver wedding anniversary and this is going to be a must-do!
Our visit to the museum was part of our silver anniversary celebration. Congratulations in advance to you!
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
dwheatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #22
peloha86
"Dis"place and the "Dispeeps" my happy place and happy people!

Just thought I'd bump this for the summer just in case people are curious
peloha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #23
stitchy626
Living the Dream in 2011

I went earlier this month with friends and we had a wonderful time. We got there at 12:30 and left around 6 and did not see everything. I too loved seeing the Lilly Belle and many other personal items. What hit me the most emotionally was reading his hand written letters. I thought I new a lot about Uncle Walt but boy was I wrong. He led a facinating life of perserverance and determination. I left feeling very inspired and can not wait to go back hopefully later this summer since my DD (15) who soaks up everything Walt couldn't make it that day
Old 06-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #24
Belle Ella
DIS Veteran

Aw man. I was so hoping to get a visit in tomorrow with my dad, but it looks like we have to put it off yet again. Just a touch sad over here.

wish journalmy new blog
live well - laugh often - run disney
Belle Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #25
mickeymouse1017
I am such a Disney nerd I am such a Disney nerd
I guess that I just got too excited! Sorry everyone!

We went earlier this month and it was incredible. We got to the museum at 10 and were there for 5.5 hours and could have easily been there another 2 hours if we had had the time. I really enjoyed the entire thing but especially enjoyed talking to other people and the CM's at the museum. I felt a little funny that I was standing there crying at the part about his death until I realized that I was not alone. What an amazing person Walt was! That museum only confirms my extreme love of all that is Disney!!!
mickeymouse1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #26
CADisneyMom
DIS Veteran

I live less then 30 minutes away from there and haven't been yet. Maybe I'll go there this week before I head back to work on Thursday.
CADisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #27
amjt660
Earning My Ears

We are going to go in early August this year.
I do not understand the tickets and that some people are saying "they got tickets for 12:00".
I thought you just walked up but it seems this is not the case.
If someone can explain how I go about purchasing I would appreciate it.
Thanks
amjt660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #28
peloha86
"Dis"place and the "Dispeeps" my happy place and happy people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjt660 View Post
We are going to go in early August this year.
I do not understand the tickets and that some people are saying "they got tickets for 12:00".
I thought you just walked up but it seems this is not the case.
If someone can explain how I go about purchasing I would appreciate it.
Thanks
You can walk up to the desk an purchase tickets, but if you want a guaranteed time, purchase online.

It's just a method of crowd control, to control the flow of traffic. Weekends are probably busier than the weekdays. Look at the beginning of the thread, I posted some pictures and links to help people out, JIC here it is again:

www.waltdisney.org
good luck

good
peloha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #29
CADisneyMom
DIS Veteran

If you walk up you may not be able to get in at all. It's the same price whether you do it online or there. You can even book it the same morning that you want to go if it's available. Since I never know what I'm doing I can never preplan but I do still want to go, maybe on Monday.
CADisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #30
Miss SD
Mouseketeer

I volunteer at the museum, and I'd say the best time to go is early. Get a 10 a.m. ticket so you'll have time to unhurriedly see all the exhibits and the monthly movie, if you want. During the weekend, there tends to be an after-lunch rush that lasts until 3 p.m. or so. (Museum is closed Tuesdays.)
Miss SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: