Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #451
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post
Your photo session turned out some great shots!

Quote:
Never had one of these yet...

Quote:
I could go on and on and on and on (and Michael could too) about how great our meals were. It was just fantastic.
That's great that you loved your meal and were glad you kept the ressie!

Quote:
So pretty!

Quote:
It sure doesn't look like Michael is serious about the game!

Sounds like you two had an absolutely wonderful evening in Magic Kingdom!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 AM   #452
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

just came across the photo of the entrance to disney and got that warm fuzzy feeling!!! loving your trip report, hope our trip in july will be as funfilled!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #453
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

so started this morning and am now up to date with your really cool trip report!!! has definitely cheered me up and diverted me from my financial accounting case study! so on board for the next installment...

also from the UK, I would love to meet you and your hu8sband on holiday, you seem what the irish would call really good 'craic'!
Old 01-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #454
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridora View Post
What a great update! I loved your pictures of the Polynesian.....it is so peaceful there. And Kona--Yum! You are making me want to get an ADR there for our May trip....Dumbo during Wishes sounds Magical. Too bad the Laugh Floor was closed--I like it. Can't wait for another update!!
Thanks so much! Oh, the Poly was just gorgeous. We loved it there! If you get one, you won't regret it! I would go right now if I could!! We didn't plan to be on Dumbo during Wishes, but I'm so glad it worked out that way!! I'll post another update tomorrow hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandClub23 View Post
I'm new and late to your TR . Whew! I just read the whole trip report so far and wanted to leave my comments

You guys are the cutest couple ever! What a fantastic trip and it makes me smile just reading it. I hope you and Michael have a very happy New Year and I can't wait to read more!!
Hi! Thank you so much for reading! Aw--thank you so much! That's so sweet. We have a ton of fun together. Thank you! We had a wonderful start to the New Year--I hope yours is wonderful too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Your photo session turned out some great shots!

Never had one of these yet...

That's great that you loved your meal and were glad you kept the ressie!

So pretty!

It sure doesn't look like Michael is serious about the game!

Sounds like you two had an absolutely wonderful evening in Magic Kingdom!
Thanks for all the comments, Denise! I'm so glad that the Photopass Photographer was set up in the lobby! It made it easier to get non-humidity hair pics! You need to try a Lapu Lapu--I'm just a wimp--but most people love it!! It was by far our favorite meal of the trip! Thank you--the sun was just gorgeous on the buildings. haha--he was SO into it!! It was fantastic. We loved every minute of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post
just came across the photo of the entrance to disney and got that warm fuzzy feeling!!! loving your trip report, hope our trip in july will be as funfilled!!!
Hi! Thank you so much for reading! Isn't that entrance just so wonderful? You can just feel the excitement so much as you finally see it! Thank you--I'm having a lot of fun writing it and re-living everything. I'm sure your trip will be fantastic!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdancer86 View Post
so started this morning and am now up to date with your really cool trip report!!! has definitely cheered me up and diverted me from my financial accounting case study! so on board for the next installment...

also from the UK, I would love to meet you and your hu8sband on holiday, you seem what the irish would call really good 'craic'!
Wow! You read a lot! I'm glad it could help cheer you up! I'll hopefully have the next installment tomorrow. That's so neat that you're from the UK! We had a lot of fun meeting our new UK friends on the bus. Michael and I have always wanted to visit the UK. Hopefully someday! Haha--thanks!! I've never been called craic before!

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 01-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #455
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Day 5: Keys to the Kingdom Tour!

First of all, I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas and New Years!! It’s hard to believe that it’s already a week into 2010. Thank you again for reading along as I re-cap our Disney Trip! It means so much to me to know that I have friends here on the DIS who are excited about Disney, and who love to share in each other’s adventures. I really do consider you all friends!

Now, back to the trip! When I last left you, we had just finished a wonderful day at the Magic Kingdom. We’d accomplished more than we thought possible in just a few hours, rode SeaRaycers, at the most incredible meal of our trip, and rode Dumbo while Wishes was starting! It’d been a fabulous day!

This morning, Thursday, September 24, Day 5 of our trip, was perhaps the day we were most looking forward to. Why? Because we were going to take the Keys to the Kingdom Tour that morning!!!

As many of you know, this was a later addition to our trip. We knew we wanted to do something extra-special, but we didn’t have a clue what that could be. One evening, I was reading one of my Disney Planning Books, and I came to the tours. I mentioned them to Michael, and we decided that we definitely wanted to try one—the only question was which one… After reading about them in two different books, and reading up on the on the internet, we finally decided that the Keys to the Kingdom Tour was the one for us!

I went ahead and called to reserve our spot, and they had spots available for the exact day/time we wanted! If you were with me during my PTR, you know that we were originally planning on sleeping in and then heading to the World Showcase at 11:00 that day. Well, we were more than willing to sacrifice a little sleep for an amazing tour!

I showed him jenjolt’s TR where she talked about the KTTK tour, and we were both so excited! I think at one time we both said something to the effect of “I don’t want you to think I’m a complete nerd, but this might be the thing I’m most excited about!” You see, we’re both closet nerds—we really, really enjoy things like this (and One Man’s Dream, as you already know).

So needless to say, when our alarm went off at 7:13 to something from Snow White (Michael thought it’d be funny since I can’t stand her voice! ), I didn’t even care about the song! We were ready to get up and get going!!

Since Michael finished getting ready before me, he went down to the Mara to use an extra CS meal we had for a breakfast platter. It was very yummy, according to him. I had what became the usual: half of a bagel at the bus stop.

We were out of our room by 7:40, and when we got to the bus stop, there was a bus waiting for us! We arrived at the MK at 8:10, which worked out perfectly, since we needed to check in for the tour by 8:15. I’d been hoping that this would be a chance for us to get some empty Magic Kingdom shots, but since it was an EMH, we didn’t even bother getting there earlier for pictures. Besides, we were too excited for our tour!

When we got to City Hall, where we checked in, we were greeted cheerily, given nametags, lanyards, and water, and asked to fill out our lunch choices (Lunch at Columbia Harbor House is included in the price of the tour). Speaking of prices, we were also given a 15% discount at the time of our booking for being “DVC Members”—since we were renting points. The perks of renting we SO great!

PS. Can you see how tired we looked?? We didn’t feel tired because we were so excited, but we sure looked it!

Anyway, after we filled out what we wanted for lunch, we started visiting with a few people who were going to be on the tour with us. The man we hit it off with the most was there with his family, but he had decided to take the tour by himself. They’d been to Disney World countless times, and he wanted to try something new this time. It was fun meeting everyone and learning their different reasons for why they wanted to go on the KTTK tour.

Before long, we were given our headpieces (so that our tour guide could just speak in a normal voice, and we could all hear him) and introduced to our tour guide. Our tour guide was named Brick, and he was incredible!!

He had been a Cast Member for around 15 years, and he’d been in multiple roles as a Cast Member. He’d been “friends” with some characters, worked as a puppeteer, driven floats, and been a tour guide, among other things. If anyone knew about Disney World, it was Brick! He was also very witty, and we loved having him as our tour guide!

I don’t want to give anything away because 1) we promised we wouldn’t tell the “secrets”, and 2) I want you to experience this amazing tour for yourselves! But I will share different non-secret things about the tour and our experiences.

We started our tour on Main Street, USA, and he told us different things about the park and Main Street, in particular. As we walked down Main Street, we were taught different things (via our headsets and Brick stopping our group to point something out) that we never would have known had it not been for the tour. Little tidbits of information were given to us all during the tour. It was SO neat!

Sometimes we’d stop and sit somewhere so that he could tell us about Walt or Mickey or Disney World. Other times, we’d just walk around learning new things. Whatever we were doing, though, was very interesting! He took us to different buildings and told us different facts (like why it was built the way it was) or showed us a hidden tribute to Walt or Roy on the building. Brick was also very, very good about answering questions! Sometimes he’d answer it right away, and other times he’d make up something “kid friendly” and then tell us the real answer when we were “backstage”. It was amazing to be able to learn about the magic behind the magic.

During our tour, we went on the Jungle Cruise, but instead of the original Skipper showing us around, Brick told us some of the not-so-known facts about the ride and about Walt.

Here you can see on of the headsets:

I love all of the detail that goes into this ride! (Oh—and let me note here that no cameras were allowed during a lot of the tour, but we could take pictures of things like this)

So Jungle Book-esque!

Sorry this one is blurry, but I love this part of the ride!

Hehe. The water’s backside!

Bye, Mr. Name (Nah-Mee)!

Continued

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 01-08-2010, 01:44 PM   #456
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Day 5: Keys to the Kingdom Tour (cont.)

Continued from previous

It seemed like everywhere we went, Brick was pointing out different things, and giving us more information. It really helped us to appreciate Walt and Roy Disney, and Walt Disney World even more!

We also went through the servant’s quarters of the Haunted Mansion and got to ride it with Brick explaining different things (via our headsets) during the ride. Talk about interesting!!

He pointed out the lamps hanging from the Liberty Tree and explained their meaning

And then we went into the Hall of the Presidents (we didn’t watch it, he just talked about it a little bit)

I love this part of the queue area! It reminds me of the Smithsonian—the Presidents’ wives’ dresses were one of my favorite displays there!

We also went “backstage” at different times during our tour. It was amazing to see how things really work at Disney World. I left with even more respect for the company, the parks, and the people behind the magic!

Before long, it was time to eat lunch—our tour was almost over!

We each had the Chicken and Fish basket

When we got there, these were pinned to our placeholders!

After a relaxing lunch and visiting with another couple that we were paired with at the table, it was time to finish our tour. Brick talked to us about a few more things “onstage” (and I snapped a few more pictures)

(Michael was SO intrigued by this man! He videoed him for a long time…)

And then it was time to go “backstage” again—but this time to the Underground Tunnels!!! It was amazing to be underneath the Magic Kingdom, and learn even more about the workings of Walt Disney World. Brick did such an amazing job, and we wouldn’t trade that time for anything! After Brick answered any other questions we had, it was time to hand over our headsets and lanyards—the tour was over. But we were so, so thankful that we were able to do this incredible tour! We left with a much greater knowledge of and appreciation for Walt Disney World and all of the people who were and are a part of making it so magical.

Up Next:

More at the Magic Kingdom
The Magic keeps on coming!!
The best drink of the trip

Old 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #457
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Oh I'm so glad you loved the KTTK tour!! It was the best part of my January solo trip! I had one of the most amazing tour guides and I learned so much and I would gladly go again!! Loved your pictures and I'm glad you and Michael had such a great time!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #458
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Joe and I really have to do this tour the next time we are in Disney! Probably not the trip in Feb because it's so close but definitely the next time. I think it would be something we would both really enjoy, especially Joe. Did you see any characters without their heads in the underground tunnels??
Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #459
Queila
DIS Veteran

As usual, great post.

The tour sounds amazing and I would love to be able to do it someday but I guess it will have to wait. Can't really do it with a two year old, can I?

And by the way, you guys did not look tired at all. I guess the adrenaline just kept you going. There is just too much to see and to do at WDW ... sleeping is simply not a priority.

Q

Last edited by Queila; 01-08-2010 at 06:59 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #460
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

The KTTK tour sounds so cool! You did an amazing job of conveying how awesome it was without giving away any secrets!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #461
blabbermouth
DIS Veteran

Sounds neat... even made DH interested in the tour.

Love the presidents' wives' dresses... I'm a fashion kinda girl though.

How was your lunch? It looked kinda mediocre? Although I do hear good things about CHH.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #462
cdotla
Trish

Sounds like a great Tour, and another great day!

Can't wait to hear about your favourite drink!

As for the video, I believe you can break it up into 10 minute intervals on youtube fairly easily. If you are able to do it, I would love to see your video!

Looking forward to the next update!
Old 01-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #463
CS3SONS
Earning My Ears

Wow great report
We're staying at AKL in February, loved seeing all the resort photos

Old 01-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #464
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Great post! DH and I absolutely LOVED the KTTK tour too! It will probably be a nice long post in my TR. Our guide was married to the janitorial manager so she was kinda obsessed with showing us their trash system? But it was still a great tour. And I enjoyed it even though I knew a lot of what she told us. There was still quite a few things that were new to me! Glad you enjoyed it too.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #465
LilAnn
DIS Veteran

I've been wanting to do the KTTK tour for a while now and your post definitely cements that. I think it'll be a while before we can do that tour since our munchkin is so young. You guys didn't look tired at all. Can't wait for more! Happy new year by the way!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: