Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

A Surprise Christmas, 15th Anniversary, We're taking your MOTHER??? Trip- 3-8Finished

This is the beginning of our trip report continuing from the MVMCV - Melanie's Very Merry Christmas Vacation PTR. See link below if you want some background.

If anyone is just joining us, here is the cast:

Me (34) - the disney freak - I could go once a month if I lived close enough. I love to read about, watch, look at pictures, etc anything that has to do with Disney. I commonly refer to Disney as my happy pill. Hey - you have yours, I have mine.

DH (35) - the reluctant Disney vacationer. Sure he likes disney but not to my extent. He goes to make me happy and enjoys having fun with the kids. He thinks my "research" verges on obsession.

DD8 - She like Disney but doesn't like to admit it unless it has to do with Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers. She doesn't show her enthusiasm as much as she shows her attitude. I believe she is a closet Disney fan and just won't admit it.

DS4 - My little disney freak in training. Unlike his older sister, he wears his excitement on his sleeve and boy, does he love Disney World!!! He is finally tall enough to go on a lot of the big rides especially the "fast cars" which translates into Test Track!

DM-in-law - DH's mom (73) - has decided to join us on our SURPRISE/Merry Christmas/Happy 15th Anniversary Trip thanks to my husband. When her coming with us was a HYPOTHETICAL idea, I was game. When she decided THIS trip would be the one only a couple of months before we left, I had a slight breakdown. She didn't give me a whole lot of time to get used to the idea and the last vacation we took with her ended with a 2 week silent treatment from her and a big blow out over a stupid comment that I didn't even know had offended her????? God help me.... I won't even start on the fact that I plan my trips a year ahead of time and make all my ADR's the minute you possibly can on the first morning you can....

So anyway, I have lots of Christmas pics to share and I hope you come along for the ride!

Last edited by DisneyMom14; 03-08-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
raider97
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Can't wait to hear how your trip went!

Stephanie
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

The Big Reveal - video below picture

When we left our PTR, I was at work anxiously awaiting the moment I would leave and get this show on the road. It's soooo hard to concentrate when you are about to leave for Disney World!!!! Finally, my DH got to my school and loaded up my small fridge that I always take with us. We then split up - he had to take the dog to the vet for boarding, and I had to get the balloons, gas up, and prepare for the big "SURPRISE!" Once he got back, we loaded up the van and took the truck to check the kids out of school. The teachers knew we were coming but the kids had no clue. They were a little perplexed about the early check out - DD especially. We told them that there was a BIG surprise for them at home that needed to be opened NOW. They really had no clue! I had done it!!!! All of my scheming had paid off. So many times had we almost slipped!

We get home and have a fairly large present on the coffee table - one of which I forgot to take a picture of. Grrrr... Mother-in-law is also there for the big surprise.

We had the kids unwrap the present. First balloons came out and they freaked because they were afraid that they would go all the way up to 12 foot ceilings. I taped them to the box so no problemo. Then they saw all the Disney goodies and I asked DD to read the sign taped to the front top side. She reads "Surprise! We are going to Disney World RIGHT NOW!!!" Imagine this in the most monotone voice ever. They continue to dig in the box... I ask her to read it again and she reads one of the envelopes (invitations) that are in the box. I asked her once again to read the sign...She reads it again and...They DO NOT BELIEVE US!!! Why in the world would I have signed them out of school for a bunch of $1 Disney stuff in a box??????
Basically we had to bring them out to the van and show them that the van is packed and ready to go. DS starts to realize we are really leaving - after he says "uh-uuuhhh!" a couple of times. They finally show some enthusiasm! Yay!
Here's a pic of them with all their Disney loot:

Here's the Youtube video.

Last edited by DisneyMom14; 01-03-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Joining in. Love the video tape...guess it took the kids a little bit to get the "surprise."

Waiting for the next installment.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
mumto2
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to this one - our families sound SO much alike! We surprised DD with a trip for her eighth birthday (sent her on a scavenger hunt for clues that spelled out "You're going to Disney World in three weeks.") - and she got mad at us - she thought we were playing a joke on her. I had to get the paperwork out from Disney and show her the reservations before she'd believe me - then she freaked out! So now I'm wondering if it is just the age?
Last trips: Fort Wilderness Cabins 2008, Mommy and Me weekend at ASMo, Grand Gathering at the Cabins, both in 2010, POP surprise in 2011, 2012 Harry Potter and Cars in the same trip, Disneyland for a day solo 2013

Next trips: DLR with the kids and Thanksgiving on the Dream 2014

Trip Report: Guess What Kids? You get to plan your first trip to Disneyland!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider97 View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to hear how your trip went!

Stephanie
Thanks for coming!!!! I'm keeping up with you too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Joining in. Love the video tape...guess it took the kids a little bit to get the "surprise."

Waiting for the next installment.
Yeah - it took a little while Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
okay....here...but I'll be back to read a bit later...
Hey Jordan!!!!! Thanks for following me here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto2 View Post
Looking forward to this one - our families sound SO much alike! We surprised DD with a trip for her eighth birthday (sent her on a scavenger hunt for clues that spelled out "You're going to Disney World in three weeks.") - and she got mad at us - she thought we were playing a joke on her. I had to get the paperwork out from Disney and show her the reservations before she'd believe me - then she freaked out! So now I'm wondering if it is just the age?
Welcome!!! Hmmm - may be the age but definitely the personality. My DD is like that for anything. She saw me put the video on youtube and fussed me! "Why do you have to put that on youtube???" pout, pout, sulk, sulk, etc.
I tried to tell her it was cute and Granny and Nanny want to see it... I think the age is now amplifying the personality. Should be some great years coming up... Thanks for coming along!
Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #8
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Joining in!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #9
4hunters
Earning My Ears

I'm in! Can't wait to hear more!!
Old 01-04-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
raider97
DIS Veteran

Loved the surprise!! Ashley, dd 7.5, also kinda sulked a bit after a while. When I asked her why she said she wanted me to surprise her the day of not the night before -- picky, picky. Oh Well, it worked out great! And I am super proud of myself for keeping that secret so long!

And that is a great picture!

Stephanie

Last edited by raider97; 01-04-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider97 View Post
Loved the surprise!! Ashley, dd 7.5, also kinda sulked a bit after a while. When I asked her why she said she wanted me to surprise her the day off not the night before -- picky, picky. Oh Well, it worked out great! And I am super proud of myself for keeping that secret so long!

And that is a great picture!

Stephanie
Sooo funny! I'm proud of us for being able to pull this off!!! I'm glad it is over though - so hard to not be excited in front of the kids!
Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

I wanted to post an update tonight but it was my first day back at work since we left for Disney and I am brain-dead!!!! I can get soooo spoiled for the holidays when we get so much time off. I'm totally off schedule. Once we got home from Disney we pretty much went on our "summer vacation schedule" which is basically stay up late and wake up even later. So 6am was waaaaaaay too early this morning. I'm so sad to have to wake up at 5:30am tomorrow. It'll be the kids first day back at school and it is going to be rough!!!! On top of wanting to stay in bed, it's the coldest temperatures yet this winter. 35 degrees in South Louisiana we're expecting 20's and a "wintry mix" later this week. All I want to do is wrap up in a blanket, drink hot cocoa, and watch movies! Oh well, if I don't go to work, I can't save up for the next Disney vacation, right?

So my goal for tomorrow is to give you guys a substantial update. Good night and stay warm!
Old 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4hunters View Post
I'm in! Can't wait to hear more!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Joining in!
Thanks for visiting! Update coming soon!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #14
DisneyMom14
DIS Veteran

We're on our way!

So after having to convince the kids we are really leaving for Disney, we load up our final items and my mother-in-law and...dead battery! Ok so we're going to back up a little. The week before we left, we were cleaning out the van and from having the doors open so long, the battery died. Then, a couple days later, I was trying to leave for work and...the battery died. We figured maybe we had left a door ajar or a light on. We thought about changing the battery but with the hectic days before the trip and with no other incidences, we never got around to changing it. So now we're trying to leave and actually ahead of schedule and dead battery. We used DH's truck to jump us and decide to hit a Walmart somewhere en route to Tallahassee which is where we were going to spend the night. We started driving around 3pm which should put us in Tallahasee at 10pm (central time).

We had packed an ice chest and loads of snacks where we could reach them. DS has a severe peanut allergy and I just didn't want to stress having to stop at a restaurant for supper. We drove to Biloxi without stopping for a battery and it was getting dark. Being somewhat familiar with Biloxi, I knew there was a Walmart down a major road connecting I-10 with Hwy. 90. A few of us really had to use the restroom as well and low and behold we exited at the exact right exit! We stopped at Wendy's for a pitstop and I asked a worker where the closest Walmart was. She says "Turn around and look up." yay! Walmart in the distance! So after everyone had decided to go inside to use the facilities, we crossed the hwy to Walmart. We were also getting hungry and I forgot to pack the bread for the chicken salad so DH and I ran into Walmart for a battery and bread. DD and DS stayed in the van with M-in-law. M-I-L was sitting in the very back nearest the food. When we got back to the van, DH put in the battery as I tried to facilitate supper. When we are at home (and home is next door to M-I-L), we often share dinners. I'll cook, she'll come eat. She cooks, we'll go eat. Every time we eat together, M-I-L always makes sure that everyone else is served before she gets her food. Now that she is the only adult capable of helping divvy the food as she was sitting right next to it. She decides she is going to fix her sandwich. So when I'm trying to get the kids and DH fed she has no place to put her sandwich, she can't find stuff, ugh! I know it sounds petty but I swear sometimes she makes no sense. She knew we were trying to get supper to everyone. Thank goodness we have a van and not an SUV so I was able to walk to the back and help. My DH tried to butter me up about her coming to begin with by telling me she would be a big help with the kids, maybe she could even watch them one evening while we have dinner, etc. Negative as it sounds, with that little bitty incident, I had a feeling that was NOT how it was going to go.

We did move pass supper and drove to Tallahassee where we did make it by 10pm (11pm Florida time). We had connecting rooms and when we checked in, we were anxious to get to bed. We had packed overnight bags so as not to have to unload the WHOLE VAN. I did spend some time cleaning up the mess in the back of the van from the kids' stuff and the disorganized food from the search for supper. Grrrr. I like my stuff organized in order of need people.

So we're getting the kids ready for bed and we get a knock. M-I-L can't find her medicine bag. I ask her if she is absolutely sure she checked EVERYTHING in the room - Yes. Ok, I go outside, open the van and let her look where she was sitting, nope. So we then open the back of the van and UNLOAD EVERYTHING. The very thing I was trying to avoid but no way was I going to have her miss her meds. Plus she was still trying to get over Bronchitis so...after about 20 minutes of not finding it outside in the chilly air...I go inside her hotel room and right there on the sofa was......her bag of medicine. Strike two. Me - "Hey, are you sure your medicine isn't in this bag? Her - "Well I looked in there already." Me - "you might want to double check cuz I see some prescription bottles." Her - "Oh yeah, I put some pills with these others..." Me - "Well, glad we found them. Good night."
Sigh. Again - sounds petty but do you see the road this trip is taking???

I have to say we had a pretty good night except that in the middle of the night I hear croup coughing from the kids' bed. If you read my PTR, you might remember that both kids(and DH and M-I-L) were VERY sick right before the trip with bronchitis almost to the point that DD's doctor considered putting her in the hospital, but we managed to get everyone well. So when I heard that, oh man. M-I-L was still taking breathing treatments and had her nebulizer. I usually bring ours just in case but to save space, I just brought our meds and masks with tubing and figured if we needed we could use her machine. Well, at 3 am DH knocked on her door and got her machine to give DS a breathing treatment. I REALLY wasn't expecting it to be DS who rarely gets this. We started him on treatments and mucinex.

We loaded up the next morning, ate breakfast in the hotel and got out around 8:15am headed to Disney!!!!

At a pitstop for gas and bathrooms, we attempted an eat in the van lunch and again. M-I-L just gave me that helpless look when she had one thing in one hand and looked around like "where do I put all of this?" Since we hadn't started rolling yet, I made her get out so that I could go to the back of the van and get everyone's sandwiches together. I know I am impatient but I just don't get how she could have raised a child and be so ineffecient and clueless. Of course I probably looked like a whirlwind to her in the back of the van because we are going to Disney and we need to get rolling people!

Around 1:00pm, I saw the best sign in the world:

Notice the clouds???? Since we hadn't gotten enough rain in South Louisiana (sarcasm - we'd been flooding!), we thought we'd bring the rain with us! It wasn't raining yet but rain was expected tonight. Tonight would be our MVMCP. The second to last MVMCP with the last one being sold out. Sigh. Maybe the rain will hold out???

Then we arrived at POP!!!

We checked in and was pleased that we had a pretty good location and connected rooms. We unloaded and quickly showed M-I-L around the important areas. This was our 2nd stay at Pop and I really enjoyed the familiarity of it. Our room was close to the same area we stayed last time. We then said goodbye to M-I-L as we left to go to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. We didn't get her a ticket as we planned to stay until the very end and knew she wouldn't want to. We had one stop to make before we arrived at the Magic Kingdom. My best friend from childhood and her fiance were finishing up their trip (her first time) and would be catching the Magical express at 4pm from the Polynesian. We decided to drive in case the rain got too bad. We figured we'd rather drive back then wait in the rain for busses. We drove to the ticket and transportation center and took the monorail to the Polynesian....or so we thought. OOPS! We got on the Magic Kingdom Express Monorail. So we got off and got on the other monorail that took us to the Polynesian. We didn't realize we could have walked to the Polynesian! We then got to meet up with the happy couple for a few pics.

Right before 4pm, we said our goodbyes and headed to the Magic Kingdom to do some partying!!! Will we get rained out??? Will we get to see anything due to the weather??? You'll have to come back to see!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: