Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2009, 12:32 PM   #1
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

The Disney Grump & Family Take on the World-Our '09 Christmas w/ the Mouse, COMPLETE

Ahhhh, Christmas with the Mouse. Were we fortunate or foolish to be going to WDW during the actual week of Christmas? That will eventually be revealed. I will say that I have dreamed of seeing WDW all dressed up for the holidays for quite some time now, and Christmas week was really my only option of doing so. Since my oldest started Jr. High last year it’s much too difficult to take him out of school, so we were stuck waiting until Christmas break.

For this trip, my dream was to stay at the Boardwalk Inn. On mine and DHs first visit to WDW we stayed at the Swan and I loved the whole Boardwalk area. The idea of being within walking distance to Epcot and just a short boat ride away from DHS just sounded heavenly to me. But, alas, my pocketbook would not support my dream, so I booked us a room for 8 nights at Port Orleans French Quarter, from December 19th-27th.

Before I go any further, for those of you who don’t know me, let me introduce my family.

There’s me, Michelle, I just turned (gulp) 40 this year. I was never able to visit WDW when I was a kid, in fact my first visit wasn’t until 2000/2001 (we were there over New Years), and that trip came about rather accidentally. The real purpose of our visit to Florida was to watch the Oklahoma Sooners play the Florida State Seminoles for the College Football National Championship in Miami. We were using DHs free SW flights for our trip and at the time they didn’t fly from Oklahoma City to Miami, so we had to fly into Orlando. I thought to myself that it might be fun to spend a couple of days at Disney World before we headed south to Miami. So, last minute I was able to get a room at the Swan and we were off to WDW! In those short two days I fell for Disney hook, line and sinker! I just love it!

Here’s a picture of me from a girls only trip I took this summer to celebrate my 40th (uggg) birthday. (I don’t think a photo of me by myself exists, so I’m with my girlfriends here – I’m the one in the middle)

Then there is DH, also known as Don. Unfortunately he has never been bitten by the Disney bug. He tolerates our trips, and for the most part has a good time while we are there, he would just rather go someplace else. I lovingly refer to him as the Disney Grump. In fact, I bought him this shirt for Christmas last year as a joke; he got a big laugh out of it and actually wears it quite often!

When I broached the subject of a WDW Christmas trip with him, his first response was no, but it wasn’t his typical “don’t bring it up again” kind of no, so I didn’t give up! He finally agreed, as long as I agreed that this would be it for a long time, he was tired of going to Disney. I said fine (with my fingers crossed, of course – hey, if I hadn’t, I wouldn’t have gotten the trip!).

Here we are together - a do it yourself kind of shot

We have two boys, ages 13 and 9. My oldest, Justin, is in the eighth grade and in true teenage style likes to test his mother’s patience. He loves sports, and excels at both basketball and baseball. He is my more tentative child; he’s a worrier and is very detail oriented just like his mother. And when he has that teenaged mouth closed, he is very sweet.

Here's Justin

Our younger son is Jared, he is more like his father, he’s my wild child. I swear I have more than a few gray hairs (cleverly covered up, thanks to my beautician) due to him. He is a thrill seeker, and he's messy, and loud and it’s sometimes difficult to get him to focus on what he is supposed to be doing. I’m sure he hears the words “focus, child!” in his sleep! He also loves sports, and in addition to basketball and baseball, plays football.

Jared (this 1st pic about sums him up ) :

They are both generally wonderful kids and are usually well behaved, but like all children, they have their moments! My boys -

Sweet:

Crazy:

And last but not least, is our sweet Abby. She was a stray that adopted us when I was pregnant with Jared, and she has by far been the best dog I have ever had! Unfortunately she couldn’t make the trip to WDW with us, so she went to Camp Grandma for a full week of R&R!

So that’s us in a nutshell – thanks for reading along!

Up next: Bringing a little fun to the waiting game!

I should have reserved the 2nd post for links to my updates, but I forgot, so I'll add them here:

Adding some fun to the waiting game
We Arrive!
Epcot Day 1, Part 1
Epcot Day 1, Part 2
A Mom & Daughter Trip, Plans for May
Day 2, Animal Kingdom, Part 1
Day 2, Animal Kingdom, Part 2 & An evening @ POFQ
Day 3, A Morning at the Magic Kingdom
Day 3, The Epcot Storytellers, Part 1
Photopass Pictures
Day 3, Epcot Storytellers & Teppan Edo
Day 4, Breakfast with Pooh
Day 4, Magic Kingdom, Part 1
Day 4, Magic Kingdom, Part 2 Celebrate It Parade & Cinderella's Wish
Day 5, Hollywood Studios, Part 1
Snow!
Day 5, Hollywood Studios, Part 2 - Osbourne Lights!
Day 6, A Christmas Eve Shopping Excursion
Day 6, An Evening at Epcot
Day 6, Candlelight Processional & Souvies!
Day 7, Christmas Morning and an empty Animal Kingdom
Day 7, Animal Kingdom, Part 2
Day 7, Mini Golf
Day 7, The Surprise and Whispering Canyon Cafe
Day 8, Epcot, Le Cellier & The Grand Floridian
Day 8, Our disastrous dinner & what would happen with our evening plans?
Day 9, Departure Day
Final Thoughts

Last edited by SoonerGirl; 03-19-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
wigdoutdismom
DIS Veteran

I'm here!
and first to boot!
Woot!
If I was Dawn I'd probably use toot in the next sentence....
but I'm not so I won't.
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Bengalfan32
Earning My Ears

Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
kbheap
Mouseketeer

I'm in. Can't wait for more.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
If U Had Wings
DIS Veteran

I can't wait to hear more. Boardwalk is my dream resort too.

Hockety Pockety Wockety Wack a Tale of a Trip from the Back of the Pack

Ferb, I Know What We're Going to Do Today! 12/5-12/1213.1 Before I hit 40 - A New PTR
Old 12-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
stace208
DIS Veteran

I clicked over from Wigd's report! Can't wait for more
Old 12-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
marsa1969
Can we go to Disney yet??

I'm in since we are state neighbors! Like me, I turned 40 in August - with regret!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
MaryAz
DIS Veteran

First page, first page. Can't wait to read more!!

Wanted to make first page so I posted first. Now that I have read, I understand ur screen name now I am turning 40 in June, my hubby is not a Disney fan until he gets there and I have 2 kiddos-girls though. Why are 2nd kids always crazy??

Last edited by MaryAz; 12-30-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
Cinderumbrella
Wench

I'm here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great start Michelle!!! Can't wait to hear what Grumpy thought of the decs!!

The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Happydog
DIS Veteran

Hey! How exciting! I am looking forward to your TR! We must have crossed paths! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Twas the Night BEFORE Christmas 09?!PTR! Ho Ho Ho!Away we go!A WDW Christmas 09 TR! All aboard a WONDERful TR! Boo to YOU! Sept 09 TR
WDW 4th of July 09 PTR!I Want to Ride the Cotton Ball! July 4th 09 TR!Snow, Savannah, & NO School! Feb '10 TR Christmas fix MVMCP 2010 TR
One Family, One Year - a June '10 PTR The Ingredients for Pixie Dust - June '10 TR Disney-Landing Halloween - a Halloween '10 PTR/TR
Dream for two - Feb '11 TRSummer of Sea and Shore - June '11 PTR Strapping Turtles on our Feet! - June/July '11 TR
MY MAGICal Black Friday Thanksgiving Cruise - Nov '11 PTR/TR

Oct 2000 - Disney Magic 7 night cruise * Oct '03 - Contemporary * Oct '05 - WLV * Nov '08 - SSR * June/July '09 - OKW * Sept '09 - CBR * Dec '09 - BCV * Feb '10 - AKL * Feb '10 - Disney Wonder 3 night Cruise/Disney HH * June '10 - BLT/BCV * Oct '10 - Grand Californian * Dec '10 AKV - Kidani * February '11 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/BLT * June '11 - Disney Dream 5 night cruise/Disney's Vero Beach/Ft. Wilderness/AKL Jambo * Oct '11 - WLV/SSR * Nov '11 Disney Magic 7 night cruise * February '12 - Disney Dream 4 night cruise/AKL Jambo * June/July '12 - BCV/WLV * Nov '12 Disney Fantasy 7 night cruise * July '13 AKV - Jambo * Sept '13 - AOA * Oct '13 - F & W SSR * Jan '14 AKV - Kidani * June '14 - BLT * Halloween '14 Disney Wonder 5 night cruise *
Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
wsushocker
DIS Veteran

subbing
All Star Movies June '06 Port Orleans French Quarter '07 Old Key West June '08 Saratoga Springs July '08 Saratoga Springs October '08 Old Key West March '09 Saratoga Springs/Beach Club May/June '09 Animal Kingdom-Kidani/Saratoga Springs December '09 Boardwalk March '10 Beach Club/DCL (Wonder) May/June '10 Bay Lake/Beach Club/Boardwalk July '10 Boardwalk October/November '10 Beach Club/Riverside December '10 Beach Club March '11 Beach Club/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach May/June '11OKW/Saratoga Springs December '11/January '12 Boardwalk March '12 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo)/Wilderness Lodge/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach/Beach Club June July '12 Bay Lake October 2012 Beach Club Villas December/January 2012/2013 Beach Club Villas March 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL (Fantasy)/Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach/Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani/ May June 2013Bay Lake Tower October 2013
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I'm here!
and first to boot!
Woot!
If I was Dawn I'd probably use toot in the next sentence....
but I'm not so I won't.
Woo Hoo! Anita's first!

Call me crazy, but I kinda think you did use toot in the next sentence. Just sayin'......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalfan32 View Post
Not sure if I can make this report popcorn worthy, but I'll try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbheap View Post
I'm in. Can't wait for more.
Welcome!! I hope to get some more written later tonight. Right now I have 3 boys wondering when I'm going to get in the kitchen and cook dinner....

Quote:
Originally Posted by If U Had Wings View Post
I can't wait to hear more. Boardwalk is my dream resort too.
Isn't it just gorgeous over there?! So much to see and do in that one little area. We tend to spend most of our time in Epcot anyway, so that short walk is VERY attractive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stace208 View Post
I clicked over from Wigd's report! Can't wait for more
Yay! Thanks for coming over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsa1969 View Post
I'm in since we are state neighbors! Like me, I turned 40 in August - with regret!
Aren't 40th birthday's the worst 40 just sounds so much older than 39 for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAz View Post
First page, first page. Can't wait to read more!!

Wanted to make first page so I posted first. Now that I have read, I understand ur screen name now I am turning 40 in June, my hubby is not a Disney fan until he gets there and I have 2 kiddos-girls though. Why are 2nd kids always crazy??
Thanks for coming over Mary! I don't know what it is about child #2, all I can say is, if I had had him first - he would be an only child!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
I'm here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great start Michelle!!! Can't wait to hear what Grumpy thought of the decs!!

Yay! Kristin's here, Kristin's here!!!

Probably nothing in that first post that you didn't already know, but I hope to get more up tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydog View Post
Hey! How exciting! I am looking forward to your TR! We must have crossed paths! Looking forward to hearing about your trip!
I know, there were lots of DISers there that week! I'm sure we walked past (or given the small amount of personal space that was available bumped into) each other at some point.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #13
wsushocker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
I'm here!
and first to boot!
Someone needs to read this book....

All Star Movies June '06 Port Orleans French Quarter '07 Old Key West June '08 Saratoga Springs July '08 Saratoga Springs October '08 Old Key West March '09 Saratoga Springs/Beach Club May/June '09 Animal Kingdom-Kidani/Saratoga Springs December '09 Boardwalk March '10 Beach Club/DCL (Wonder) May/June '10 Bay Lake/Beach Club/Boardwalk July '10 Boardwalk October/November '10 Beach Club/Riverside December '10 Beach Club March '11 Beach Club/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach May/June '11OKW/Saratoga Springs December '11/January '12 Boardwalk March '12 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo)/Wilderness Lodge/DCL (Dream)/Vero Beach/Beach Club June July '12 Bay Lake October 2012 Beach Club Villas December/January 2012/2013 Beach Club Villas March 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo/DCL (Fantasy)/Beach Club Villas/Vero Beach/Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani/ May June 2013Bay Lake Tower October 2013
Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #14
gellybean
DIS Veteran

I'm in!!

DESPITE the fact that I bleed burnt orange. *Ahem*

Ready to read all about the Christmas-y goodness!

Read all about our special needs, miracle daughter Violet @ http://youjustmightfindyougetwhatyouneed.blogspot.com/

September 2012 PTR - I actually just squealed with excitement!! We are going back! Baby girl's 1st trip!! Nemo Suite at AoA
Old 12-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #15
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsushocker View Post
subbing
Wow - Shocker's here too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsushocker View Post
Someone needs to read this book....

And picking on Wigd already, I see. Hey, someone's gotta be first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellybean View Post
I'm in!!

DESPITE the fact that I bleed burnt orange. *Ahem*

Ready to read all about the Christmas-y goodness!
Figures, a Longhorn fan

Just kidding, we can be friendly as long as it isn't the second Saturday in October right??? Or is it the 3rd now, they went and messed with it this year and now I'm all confused

Glad your here!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: