Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Joining the trippie
Old 12-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

Me too
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Me too.
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #19
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone - Glad your enjoying this! and I hope everyone had a lovely Christmas

After our first park day at AK we fancied heading to City Walk for dinner - City Walk was only a short $7 (approx.) taxi ride from our hotel which was great, considering we were so unimpressed with the area around the hotel we spent quite a lot of evenings at City Walk during our trip

After reading menus and recommenations online I was between going to Margaritta Ville or Latin Quarter. Margarita ville had a private function taking up most of the place, and although there were some tables available we decided to return later in the trip to get the 'full experience'

ANYWAY we went to Latin Quarter - and wow our server was so lovely and our food was GORGEOUS! I would thoroughly recommend this place when in City Walk ( we tried here, visited margarita ville (although we didn't try their food), pat o'briens and pastamore and this was our favourite!), the atmosphere and the music and the service was great!

We all started with a round of strawberry dacquiris which were delicious! and for our appetizers I had the Coconut Battered Shrimp (WOW one of the tastiest things I ate in the whole trip!) which was served with a mango mustard sauce - you can kind of see my dacquiri in the back ground mmm...

and for mains i had the chicken fajitas which were also amazing, although I was so full from the appetizer that i could only manage about half of it! However the server was nice enough to pack it up for us to take back.

I believe Scott had the Shrimp Latin Quarter - which was shrimp wrapped in bacon, stuffed with jalapeno jack cheese.

Followed by grilled chicken and beef skewers

Dessert was out of the question by this point - although we knew we had some birthday cake from earlier back at the hotel we could have when we got back. Overall a great meal - Great Food and Great Company!

After this we decided to stroll around city walk, stopping to look at the entrances of the parks which obviously was a great novelty having not seen them before !!

Although the parks were closed we could see the entrance video for Halloween horror nights which at this point i was adamant i would not go to as the thought of it just terrified me something silly but as you'll see later in the TR I was made to go!! (but it was great fun actually!!)

We then visited Cigarz - i had read they sold flavoured Cigars here and I suppose I was expecting it to be like the Sheesha flavoured tobacco I had tried in Dubai the year previously and had enjoyed. So I got a Cherry one in the shop (and felt like a complete Newbie in such a shop with lots of experienced, rocker type cigar smokers!), I can't remember what type the others got... but YUK You couldn't taste the cherry flavour at all and as i am no smoker or anything it just was horrible!! the guys enjoyed there's but it was not what i was expecting at all and left pretty much all of it.

Scott looks like he's really enjoying it in that picture

So we went to explore some of the shops before heading back to the hotel for another early start the following day. And although I never bought it this hat was amazing!

Next: Universal Studios Day (+ I can't believe this park is closed but IOA is still open, yayy we can ride The Hulk!)

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Disneyland Resort California - April 2013
izzie-wizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 AM   #20
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

The food looks great

Have only been to Hard Rock Cafe - so might keep this in mind for another trip
Old 12-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
DISWolves

Will try this next August when we are at RPR. Food looks amazing!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #22
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Doubtfire View Post
The food looks great

Have only been to Hard Rock Cafe - so might keep this in mind for another trip
Hard Rock Cafe is one place that we never got a chance to visit - so its defo on our to do list!

Walt Disney World - September 2011 (Engagement Trip). October 2009 (21st Birthday Trip).
Disneyland Report Paris - 1995, Santa Fe / 2007, Explorers Hotel / 2010, Cheyenne / 2012, Newport Bay Hotel
Old 12-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #23
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Thanks for the update, I enjoyed reading it. We usually stay onsite at universal fir the holidays and are still trying all the restaurants at Citywalk. We will try the LatinQuarter in June if we can. We did try Bubba and Margaritaville this year. Both served delicious meals.
wicket2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #24
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Universal Studios, 22nd Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket2005 View Post
Thanks for the update, I enjoyed reading it. We usually stay onsite at universal fir the holidays and are still trying all the restaurants at Citywalk. We will try the LatinQuarter in June if we can. We did try Bubba and Margaritaville this year. Both served delicious meals.
Thanks for Reading! We tried Bubba's for lunch, it was so delicious and fun!

So for the next update - our day at Universal Studios! Thurs 22nd Oct. 2009

We were up early again this morning - we wanted to get to Universal Studios before it opened to hit the rip ride rockit rollercoaster first to try and avoid any big wait.

Generally most days we got to a park before or for opening - especially for Disney and Universal parks. It was one of the main tips I got from the DIS and even though it can feel very early when you first get up, it is SO worth it for 1. the quiet park and 2. making the most of your time in the park - especially in October where many of the parks are closed fairly early! Im definately another ambassidor supporting getting to the parks before they open!

Anyway, this was the first day we tried the hotel complementary breakfast which was basic but it was ok to grab some toast and cereal which was enough for us most days really - but it was a bit of a hassle getting a table / squeezing through the tiny room.

We were in the line at Universal ten mins before park opening - success! That walk from the car park to the park seems so long with the long walk-way - but it was nice to see City Walk during the day as it had been so dark the previous evening - and it was a totally different atmosphere!

We definately picked the wrong queue to wait in to get into the park, it went sooo slow in comparison to everybody else We finally got in and were so excited to get on RRR but as we were heading towards their, I spotted Scooby Doo! We made a little detour over to Scooby, but rather than just stopping to get some pics - Scooby Doo took my hand and stole me away!

It was so funny - but quite handy in that we 'skipped' along to the entrance of RRR! so we got our photos (and some with Woody Woodpecker and Curious George who was there too!) before heading in the queue at last!

In the queue we all (apart from Scott) began to get quite nervous! Apart from EE yesterday we hadn't done any big coasters yet! Well we were just about two from the front before they move you from the queue section to the loading section when the ride breaks down.

I've heard alot about the teething problems of the ride and I suppose I was kinda worried this would happen. So we waited and waited and waited some more. Until it was nearly an hour since we'd entered the park. They were advising people to go elsewhere but we decided to just wait and see what happened. Well there was probably only about 20 of us waiting now when they admitted defeat that the ride wasn't going to be open soon and gave us all FOTL passes for that ride later in the day (they didn't actually sign the passes for valid for RRR at first - and as we got our stuff from the locker i noticed the pass said 'no entry for RRR' but others had noticed and a member of staff were signing and validating the passes for the ride).

So, where first?! The Mummy - we needed a thrill and cheered up.

There was a very little 10 minute queue which went by so fast - I LOVED the queue area for this ride. although some point (i can't remember which) gave me SUCH a fright, I screamed so loud!

The ride was great as well! so from here we headed to Kidzone to see if ET was opened admiring the Delorian from Back to the Future

ET wasn't open and as it turned out many of these attractions didn't actually open til 11am but we did get to see Barney hanging out here.

So we mozyed on over to The Simpsons which was just amazing - who doesnt love the simpsons! I was so blown away by everything in this area. First i saw the Kwik E Mart and ran towards it - so excited

Then round the corner was Homer - there was no chance of us calming down anytime soon, the bother at RRR had slipped our minds and we were just happy to be here and knowing that when RRR opened again we would have 0 wait!

After the Simpsons ride we went on MIB - really great queue area, horrible ride! I don't know what it was but we were so underwhelmed! We actually joked about it for the rest of the trip because it was so bad for us.

We then walked a little closer to RRR cause they were putting round some empty cars but no, it was still closed. So we rode Shrek and Nickelodeon 3D. Shrek 3D was alright, as was the Nickelodeon ride - but the part on that ride where they make you dance was so funny!

Leaving this ride (in the back of its gift shop) i met one of my favourite cartoon characters - Spongebob and then we made a 'build your own spongebob' toy - which is essentially just a spongebob Mr Potato head - such a cute and fun idea!

From here we were all a little hungry and decided to have some lunch sitting outside the Simpsons ride to take it all in. The guys had Turkey Legs and the girls had hot dogs.

I really wanted a Squishee too but they weren't selling them that day. Those Turkey Legs are hillarious though - they are just soo big!

We noticed as we were waiting that RRR was open again and people were on it So even though I'd just had far too much fizzy juice to be on a rollercoaster off we went - the nervous feeling was back - even though i knew i'd love it. We got there and got to go in through the back AND were given the front 2 rows! which sure sounds great but the thought of front row was a little scary but I knew i'd regret not doing it. So i picked my song (i selected this SO fast! i was so worried the big lap bar thing wasnt on right an kept pushing it down - of course it was safely on, but i was just nervous!) I chose MC Hammer can't touch this and I really really liked this ride! So much people have slated it online but i personally don't agree with the criticism I thought it was fun!

The queue for the ride by this point was about 90 mins no way we were waiting for a reride.

Then (I think) we headed on ET, another great ride. Then we rode The Simpsons again, and then worked our way from Jaws to the exit.

We got SO much wetter on Jaws than we expected! It was also a little scarier than I'd expected too but so awesome!

And the queue for Disaster should have a warning - not worth the wait! ok maybe thats a little harsh... it was ok - but we did have a very long wait for it.

Twister was a little TOO packed with long, pre - 'main event' videos for what it was worth. Or it felt this way anyway as our feet were all a little sore.

In hindsight i wish we'd used this time to see one or two of the shows at this park - I really regret not seeing the horror make up show in particular.

It was then that the park was closing - U.Studios was closing a bit earlier when we were there due to HHN. but IOA was open a couple hours after U.Studios closed which we weren't expecting as we assumed they both would close at the same time or if anything IOA would close earlier!

This was great as we had hoped we would have time to go there to ride the Hulk at least once as it would be a few days til we would be back here and this was one of our main rides we were all looking forward to. Around late afternoon we had accepted we probably wouldn't have time to visit IOA so discovering it was open later was very exciting and none of us really believed it til we walked through IOA gates!

We all headed straight for the Hulk which had NO queue atall! we went on it about 3 times that evening, as well as going on Storm Force Acceletron and Spider man.

The Hulk - WOW one of our favourite coasters and was worth the hype, but it did throw your head around a little at times which hurt! but it was worth it!

Spider man - it has to be another WOW. I was not expecting this type of ride at all, its difficult to even describe what this ride is like - but the effects and everything are so unique and amazing. I'm not a particular superhero fan or anything but I loved the themeing too!

So IOA was closing now and we were all Thrilled-Out!!

We managed to get a table at Pastamore as we left the park. I didn't take any pictures here but the meal was alright, nothing spectacular to write home about - there was no atmosphere and the service was ok - nothing bad by any means but not as impressive compared to the other places we visited during this trip. I had a sea food pasta which i expected to be creamy and it really wasn't so perhaps this would affect my judgement on the food - again it wasn't bad just not amazing, which many places on offer are in City Walk and in Florida overall! Although they did serve a really good Rose Wine which finished off our day perfectly

After the meal we just walked about for a little bit then headed back to the hotel. Another AMAZING day - and we were all just so tired out! So we needed our sleep for the next day, one of the parks I was most looking forward to:

Coming Up Next: Day 3, Disney Hollywood Studios

Old 12-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

Another great day - I'm just not brave enough for the coasters - I did go on EE once but boy was I

My family just laugh at me!! (and make use of my fastpass!)
Old 12-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #26
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Disney Hollywood Studios - Friday 23rd October

After a quick breakfast in the hotel again, we headed straight for Hollywood Studios in time for park opening - and we were all expecting a big rush for Toy Story Mania! We joined the park opening crowd about 10 mins before the pre opening show. Which was a cute little show, but the crowd was very squished together.

So we hurried straight to TSM when the rope dropped and managed to get there and on one of the first rides of the day - completely just walked on! This ride is just amazing and FUN - totally can understand the hype about it now I've ridden it. Toy Story is one of my favourite films anyway so it wouldn't have taken much for me to enjoy it but all the little touches from the movie were just amazing.

We got off - all totally in love with this ride and then headed to ToT and RnRC - neither had a rediculous wait - both around 20 mins, but we grabbed a ToT FP, while riding RnRC standby (with the aim of using the ToT FP once we rode RnRC)

I was looking forward to RnRC as I had loved it in DLRP and enjoyed the little differences between it and the Paris version.

I was sooo nervous to go on ToT! And i will try and get the ride picture uploaded soon - but i just look terrified! Our FP wasn't up yet, so we rode standby - meaning we could FP it straight after as a reride. After I had been on it once it was ok but that first time just scared me so much

We then headed back to Toy Story Mania and manage to grab FPs for later in the afternoon. Whilst here we enjoyed the Pixar themeing. and even saw Luxo Light do a little performance which I just thought was amazing but surprisingly we were the only ones who stopped to admire it!

We then went to meet Woody and Buzz! the queue to meet them was filled with great photo ops. This one was my favourite:

We got to meet Woody and Buzz which was great fun - we all enjoyed meeting the characters more than we expected. Just shows meeting characters isn't just for the little kids

From here we decided to go on the Tram Tour. We were just entering the queue and a CM comes and asks if we want to volunteer for something. I immediately say yes on behalf of my party at this point they are cursing me not knowing what I've let us all in for! and in honesty i had no idea either...

Well turns out we'd be actors in the 'harbour attack' special effect demonstration for everybody and OMGosh it was one of the funniest things ever!! I would loved to have gotten a copy of this but it was one of the best moments of the trip and I think we all did a GREAT job!! Even if we did get soaked (esp Roy - the engineer who could hit with goodness knows how much water!)

Luckily everyone enjoyed it and in the end were glad I'd volunteered us - phew!

The tram tour was a great chance just to relax a little from a great morning!

We left the ride and went to meet Monsters Inc characters who are just at the exit of the Tram Tour:

We then went on the hunt for the Cars characters for Scotts sister who loves Mater. It took us a little while to navigate our way around that part of Hollywood Studios but we soon found Luigis garage and met Mater and Lightning.

We then looked around a couple of shops before heading to Sci Fi for Lunch.

I had the Cheeseburger and an Oreo Cocktail - Delicious!

This place was great - we shared the peanut butter chocolate cake for dessert aswell but it was a little dry - tasty all the same - unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of this.

I enjoyed sitting in the car and the service was great here. My only complaint was that this restaurant was freezing! Really just too cold.

Anyway from here we went on Star Tours, and unfortunately the Speeder Bike which you can sit on wasn't there Scotts brother in law is a huge star wars fan and i'd told him all about this after seeing it on the Dis - after asking about the 3rd CM about it, who actually knew what i was talking about - we found out that it was away to be cleaned. Roy was a bit gutted by this but I tried to reassure him that we'd be back in a week and a half and there was a chance it would be back by then (fingers crossed - luckily it was there when we went back near the end of the trip!)

After Star Tours we went to see Muppets 3d which had really good 3D effects in comparison to some we'd seen before which I thought were a little blurry (ITTBAB at AK and Shrek at Universal - but this might be to do with wearing contact lenses?) - and then we used our FP for TSM

From there we went our seperate ways - the guys went to see the stunt show (which me and leanne had both saw in Paris and weren't desperate to see it again) so me and leanne went to see the little mermaid - which I loved!! It was so lovely and the effects were fun! We just managed to catch a show aswell so no wait!

Before we met the guys (as their show was longer) we had time to grab a FP from RNRC for us all to use later before Fantasmic and whilst there we rebelled and got some (temporary) tattoos .

So we met the guys and were able to catch a show of Indiana Jones and then go on the Great Movie Ride.

By this point we had to go straight on RNRC then it was on to Fantasmic! I would have liked to have got to the Fantasmic theater a little earlier but we still got a decent seat and had time to grab some popcorn - we were all still a bit full from lunch to have anything else.

We sat and watched Fantasmic - which was just Fantasmic!! I can totally see why it would be scary for some little one's but overall i was blown away by it! I almost wish we'd had the time to go see it again during the trip. When I'd first started planning this trip there were only meant to be 2 showings of Fantasmic a week (this changed to everyday) and I'd many people on the DIS recommended not to go too out of your way just for this show - well if anyone who is reading this has never seen Fantasmic and considering giving it a miss - Dont!! Ok ok i know its all a matter of opinion but asides from Wishes, this was our favourite show in Disney It gave me goosebumps!

We took our time leaving the park, and it was quite cool as the park was empty and we got some cool pics of us and the hat at night. I also picked up a Minnie Mouse flask which i've been using for tea on my way to uni in the mornings. Scott was also really happy with the light up drumsticks he'd got earlier this day from RnRC gift shop.

Coming Up: Photopass Pictures from Hollywood Studios

Old 12-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #27
izzie-wizzie
DIS Veteran

Disney Hollywood Studios Photopass Pics

After not finding one photopass photographer in our first Disney day at AK we were already considering whether to just give up on the whole Photopass idea. But we found quite a few today and decided we'd just be majorly on the lookout and go for it.

Heres some of the best ones from this day.

Coming Up : Day 5 - Typhoon Lagoon and MK Wishes Dessert Party - I can't believe it took us so long to go to MK!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #28
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

I always wondered how the 'actors' got picked - so how lucky were you!! I hope they gave you a towel to dry off

Sounds like another fab day - again, I haven't been Sci Fi - just never fancied it - but reading a few reports it sounds like fun - something my DD would enjoy.

Looking forward to some more.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #29
irishdancer86
DIS Veteran

hey really enjoying your trip reports, love the photos, your itinerary is really similiar to me and my bf's going in july, can't wait...your calendar is a good idea...i've been reading the park maps before bed for months now!!!
irishdancer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #30
DISWolves

We are hoping to Sci-Fi next year - thanks for the warning of the temp You certainly covered a lot in a day

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: