Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
SMB32680
Earning My Ears

Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show

Hi all! Wondering if anyone has been to the Spirit of Aloha dinner show at the Poly? We are considering it for our next trip but had a few questions:

1. If we do the DDP, is it worth 2TS meals? It seems like it would be...

2. Will kids enjoy it? We would have my 3 boys (2 of which have ADHD, the other is only 2 yrs old) and my 3 yr old niece - is there enough entertainment for young kids?

3. I believe I read that you have to pay in full at time of booking - how does this work if you have the dining plan? Do you still have to pay at booking of ADR and then wait to get reimbursed?

Thanks in advance for your help.....
SMB32680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
arcticdisneylovers
DIS Veteran

We have never been, but I booked an ADR for our Jan trip. I had to give a credit card number to secure the reservation (I booked online). We are on the Deluxe Dining Plan and nothing has been charged to the credit card. My understanding is that if you are a no show without proper cancellations your card would be charged.

We are staying at the Contemporary with DD5 and I thought it was the closest dinner show and the menu appealed to us so we would give it a try. My understanding is that there is lots going on and there are opportunities for the kids to particpate so it would seem to keep most kids entertained in addition to the meal. The 5:15pm show is also a good time as my DD goes to bed early.

I'll be reporting when we return, so I'll let you know how we make out
arcticdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
hmcfall711
DIS Veteran

1. If we do the DDP, is it worth 2TS meals? It seems like it would be...

DH and I have been 3 times on 3 different trips and we really enjoyed it. As for the food I think it was worth 2TS credits. I love the salad dressing, the rice, and the lava cake.

2. Will kids enjoy it? We would have my 3 boys (2 of which have ADHD, the other is only 2 yrs old) and my 3 yr old niece - is there enough entertainment for young kids?

We do not have children of our own, but every time we say that the 6 neices and 2 nephews would LOVE the experience. There are times when the children can come down and participate. There is also a great show. There are AMAZING fire dancers. Sure to keep any boys attention. ADHD or otherwise.

3. I believe I read that you have to pay in full at time of booking - how does this work if you have the dining plan? Do you still have to pay at booking of ADR and then wait to get reimbursed?

You will hold your reservation with your credit card, when you get to the show they will ask you if you are on the DDP or if you are keeping it on your card.- unless something has changed in the last 2 years.

We have really enjoyed this show and skipped it the last two years just because it was a little difficult for us to get to from AKL. If you have a lot of transfers (your resort. to a park, to the Poly or DTD to Poly) be sure to leave early (maybe as much as an hour) or drive/ taxi on your own.

I also suggest the first show. Great for kids but also the servers and performers are fresh and happy to be there. We never had a problem with the second show, but they just seemed to have more pep in there step for the first show.
AKV-Oct. '14 AK-Jambo&POP&Dream&DWL (14 days!) May '14, AKV Dec. '13, Aulani July '13, POP Nov'12, AOA&AKV Oct '12, AKV May '12, AKV Mar '12, OKW Dec '11, AKV May 11, POP/AKL Mar. '11, POP/BLT Nov.'10, HHR July '10, AKV Mar. '10 AKV Oct. '09 DWLV & Wonder July '09, Pop & SSR Mar. '09, DVC members-- AKV Oct. '08, Land (CRB)/ Sea (Wonder) Oct. '08, Pop Oct. '07, CBR Oct. '06, All-Star Music Mar. '06, All-Star Sports Oct. '05, All-Star Music Mar. '04
hmcfall711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
DisneyFamily123
Use the Force, Luke!

Spirit of Aloha

We didn't use the DDP for Spirit of Aloha so we could get category 1 seating. For this dinner show, I think category 1 is important. Some of the other seats were very far back. I'm not saying you can't enjoy the show, but category 1 makes a big difference, so I'd save the DDP credits for other meals.

Here's a tip for seat assignment... Seats are assigned based on when you make your reservation... so the earlier you make your reservation, the better your seating (within the category). The other consideration that could come into play is your party size. This was confirmed with a CM. We made our reservation right at the 90 day mark (now 180 days) and had front row seats in category 1.

Our DS4 (just turned 4) enjoyed it. Whatever you do, don't leave early... some people did and they missed the best part, saved for last - the fire juggler. At one point, all children were invited on stage to dance. Some children might some of the dancing a little boring, but it changes very frequently so that should help keep attention. I think it's the adults who might get a little bored.

If you are not staying at the Polynesian, it's a fun walk -- past the pool along the beach, you can see the castle lit up, and the lighted boat parade and MK fireworks from the beach (check times).
Our Disney Vacations: 2008-2014, 6 trips: Halloween, Christmas, Star Wars Weekend. Favorite resorts - All Stars, Pop Century, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian. Best Tip - Don't try to do it all... Go slower, relax, take a break, have an excuse to come back. Don't miss - Dapper Dans (MK), Flights of Wonder (AK), Fantasmic (HS), Mo-Rockin' (Epcot).
DisneyFamily123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
scaetal
Earning My Ears

Great info to consider when we travel with our 2 dds in March!
Thanks!
scaetal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhd, ddp, spirit of aloha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: