Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #3196
stopher1

Wall to wall creeps, and hot and cold running chills! Shh...listen
I have plenty of hill left to climb thank you very much

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Ok, so here are a few more photos from my recent DL visit. I stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel on the front end of my trip for one night, with DCA & DL that evening and the next day... then did the work portion of my trip... followed by 2 nights in the new DVC Villas at the Grand Californian Hotel. I had a studio, with a theme park view room. I was on the 4th floor (of 5), and looked directly out into Paradise Pier. Immediately below me was the DVC BBQ deck on the ground floor, with two amazing grills available to use for DVC members. The Mulholland Madness roller coaster (to be rethemed to Goofy's Sky School later in 2010), was directly to my right as I stood on my balcony. Right in front was the Jumpin' Jelly Fish attraction with the Mickey's Fun Wheel and Malliboomer behind that. Off to the left just a bit was the Golden Zephyr and Paradise Bay (where the new World of Color show will be) with California Screamin' and Toy Story Midway Mania directly beyond the bay - and directly to the left of me was the construction site for the new Ariel's Undersea Adventure Little Mermaid ride to open in 2011. Here's a view out of my window, followed by some general resort photos.

This is Mickey's Fun Wheel and the Golden Zephyr

The BBQ deck, just feet away from the perimeter wall of the DCA park (Mulholland Madness is just behind the fence... I could hear it VERY WELL from my room when the sliding door was open!)

My room was right up there in the top... looking up from the pathway walking from the bbq deck around to the pool deck - the DVC Member World of Color Viewing Platform is atop the red portion of the building. Not sure how it will work, but it sure looks to be a cool, exclusive option. Members will only be able to use it while staying at VGC... not while staying at the other DL hotels on points

Here's a pic of the tree inside the Great Hall (lobby) of the hotel

Looking down at the new Mariposa pool (from the elevator lobby on my floor) that was added with the new DVC wing

Some pool complex photos...

The original pool

The slide, with the new DVC wing behind it. The new wing used to be an "event lawn"

A close-up of the new pool & jacuzzi. The jacuzzi is about 2.5x the size of the original jacuzzi. Quite choice too. I was in it several times. Reminds me how much I want one here at home. Beyond the pool you can see the new Cabanas that can be rented. They are quite choice, by the way. If you have the means and want to spend a full day at the pool, they can be rented for something like $200 or was it $250 for 8 hours. I believe it was $150 for 4 hours.

You get designated deck chairs outside, plus a couch, chairs, table, stocked refrigerator, ceiling fan and flat screen HD tv inside.

All I could say was "WOW" when I saw them up close.

here's a view of the "connection point" - where they added on to the hotel. It's an L shaped addition, with the short end of the L being the new DVC wing, and the long end regular hotel rooms.

Here's the corner of the L, and notice how the balconies are closer together for the regular hotel rooms on one side, and the more expansive windows and less frequent balconies for the villas on the DVC side

Here's a pic of the giant fireplace inside the lobby. There's another one on the outside as well with an intimate little patio and rocking chairs. Makes for a nice place to sit and enjoy a drink or conversation. I didn't get one of the outdoor fp, since a group of women were doing yoga in front of it when I wanted to snap a pic, oh well... use your imaginations

Here's a view of the main entrance to the hotel, with the Porte Cachere for dropping off luggage or utilizing the Valet Parking. Valet Parking puts vehicles below the new wing in the underground parking garage... self parking means parking across the street and then walking back. It's only a 2 minute walk though (depending on the traffic light) It was designed in the ARTS & CRAFTS stylings of that design movement from the early 20th century very, very popular throughout So. Cal - and was designed by the same architect who designed the Wilderness Lodge. They both feel quite similar inside, and as such, are considered sister hotels. This was the first Disney designed hotel at the Disneyland resort - the other two, not so as I mentioned in a previous post back in the 190s page range

A few of the room...

And then, on Saturday morning the World of Disney store was having their own version of a Black Friday kind of sale for AP holders (me) and DVC members (also me). They were having discounts of up to 50% on select merchandise, and lots of other doorbuster type stuff for 30-50% off. The doors were slated to open at 6:30 am. I braved the crowds to be one of the first 1,000 in line for a free gift. Not something I enjoyed doing, but with Christmas coming up I wasn't sure if I'd find anything to add to under the tree or not. I learned afterward that there were over 2,000 people in line that morning, and the first couple lined up at 3 am. Craziness! This photo was taken from where I stood in line before they opened the doors. The queue was wrapping quite a bit. I arrived downstairs to get in line around 6:10ish, and when I approached the door and got my wristband for my free gift (just a little Vinylmation figure, nothing overly exciting) I was told that I was in the upper 700's in line.

For those of you who have not yet been to the DL resort, the Grand Californian straddles the edge of Disney's California Adventure park (it's actually billed as being INSIDE the park), and has it's own private entrance into that park. It also straddles Downtown Disney - so much so, that a portion of DTD is actually the lower floor of the hotel, with rooms up above. Here are some views of the DTD with the hotel rooms above... and the DTD entrance directly into the hotel

Once you pass through the DTD entrance into the hotel complex, there is an outdoor courtyard (used for private parties, receptions, etc), above which the OBA passes as it continues on its' route to the DTD station

I will post a few more shots in a while.

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!

Last edited by stopher1; 12-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM   #3197
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
No one (thank God)...it was just me...it's cold here in South Georgia...brrrr, it was 59 degrees.....wind made it feel almost like 55
Did you remember your thermals??
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM   #3198
stopher1

Location: Indiana + AKV, SSR, VGC & Aulani (wishing to be able to ADD VWL to the mix too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
That's a pretty sweet setup you got there... makes me want to go fishing...
I'll second that...

DISNEYLAND: Way too many to possibly count! I grew up 30 mins. from DL. Former CM. AP holder for 20 yrs. Premier Pass AP. All 3 DL Resorts and numerous off-site hotels.
WDW: 58 trips on & off-site, including DVC, Deluxe, Moderate & Value - in 18 different WDW resorts & numerous off-site resorts. AP holder for 5 yrs. Premier Pass AP holder.
AULANI: 1 so far. More to come though, & definitely looking forward to returning!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM   #3199
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Did you remember your thermals??
No, I had Gore Tex

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 12-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #3200
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Ok, so here are a few more photos from my recent DL visit...
Your write-ups are awesome! I've never been to DL, and when I see these from you I am like "wow... i need to go there someday!". Most excellent! Thanks!

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
Old 12-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #3201
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Rock 'n Roller Coaster testing queue-less system

Saw this posted in another forum... not sure how I feel about a queue-less ride:

Rock 'n Roller Coaster testing queue-less system

And here you can see pictures of how it works:

Rock 'n Roller Coaster Queue Changes

Last edited by Emma's Dad; 12-16-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #3202
stopher1

I just saw this - Roy Disney, Walt's nephew has died at age 79

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obit_roy_disney

Old 12-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #3203
stopher1

Quote:
Your write-ups are awesome! I've never been to DL, and when I see these from you I am like "wow... i need to go there someday!". Most excellent! Thanks!
Thanks. I tend to take way too many photos, so it tends to take too long to do! My DW always gives me such a hard time when I come home from a trip with 500-1000 photos with nary a one with people she knows in them! Ha ha... oh well. I love my Disney photos. I have folders and folders of them on my computer.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #3204
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher1 View Post
Thanks. I tend to take way too many photos, so it tends to take too long to do! My DW always gives me such a hard time when I come home from a trip with 500-1000 photos with nary a one with people she knows in them! Ha ha... oh well. I love my Disney photos. I have folders and folders of them on my computer.
HAHA! You obviously have not seen how long it takes me to write a TR!

Old 12-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #3205
stopher1

Quote:
HAHA! You obviously have not seen how long it takes me to write a TR!
Which is precisely why I chose not to actually write a specific TR for this short visit, but rather just interject it into this thread as I find the time. It was one thing sitting in the hotel room at the end of the day...it's completely different sitting in my dining room listening to my kids banter back and forth doing their school work, playing on the computer, etc.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:45 PM   #3206
stopher1

Ok wow - so I've just gone back and read through from page 198 to this one to get caught up in the week and half I've been super busy with work.
  • Again - I say WELCOME to all the new dads.
  • To those with cancer and other illnesses in your family - I'm praying for you and yours.
  • Fed - wow, a 5th tour back to the desert... I've said it before, but I'll say it again now - thank you very much for your service & I'll be praying for you in May when you head out once again.
  • To all the dads who've commented on and basically voted (or concurred) on the shirts being in RED... I want to just say I like the design, but disagree with the color choice - since Goofy is our character of choice, I think it would be cool to instead go with BLUE like his pants, ORANGE like his shirt, or BROWN like his vest. I don't like the LIME green of other DIS folks, but I do agree that a color is good for easy identification, but that is pretty close to his hat color as well.

That's just my two cents for the day, good, bad or indifferent.

Last edited by stopher1; 12-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #3207
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

I only demo'd a red shirt because it's a festive Christmas color. The point o making the logo publicly available was so that each person would be able to upload it on their own and apply it to any garment (shirt, hat, backpack, etc) in any color that they choose. It was never my intention for everyone to have the same color, style, etc. Some people wanted hats, some wanted polos, and everyone had a different color preference. This way, everyone can get exactly what they want yet still have a matching logo. And no one is having to coordinate one large order.
(In case anyone needs it again, the 300 dpi logo is located at http://www.4shared.com/file/17237560...7/DDLogo2.html)
Old 12-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #3208
stopher1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
I only demo'd a red shirt because it's a festive Christmas color. The point o making the logo publicly available was so that each person would be able to upload it on their own and apply it to any garment (shirt, hat, backpack, etc) in any color that they choose. It was never my intention for everyone to have the same color, style, etc. Some people wanted hats, some wanted polos, and everyone had a different color preference. This way, everyone can get exactly what they want yet still have a matching logo. And no one is having to coordinate one large order.
(In case anyone needs it again, the 300 dpi logo is located at http://www.4shared.com/file/17237560...7/DDLogo2.html)
My bad. I remember seeing that no one person could or wanted to coordinate ordering for lots o guys... I was just adding a thought is all. It is definitely a good festive color.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM   #3209
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
Pumping Fuel Tank out of boat: Fun

Discovering the fuel stabilizers worked: Awesome

Finding out the cranking battery is dead at the ramp: Even More Awesome

Disney Fed's Minivan (by popular request):

Now ask me how much a new cranking battery cost me this morning?
wow, first off, the boat and trialer are a dif. color than the truck. we van owners have everything to match. i dont think they would let you dip that in the water up north. second, wheels on the trailer, are those spinners on the there? im just kidding big guy, i here chrysler has 0 percent for 72 mon. on the town and country.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #3210
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
second, wheels on the trailer, are those spinners on the there? im just kidding big guy, i here chrysler has 0 percent for 72 mon. on the town and country.

And the colors look better in person...

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: