Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
gwen7g
Earning My Ears

overcharged at the gate today

What a crappy day... We are FL residents, came up for one day at Magic Kingdom with our 4 year old son.

At the ticket gate I asked about the FL resident discount and was reminded you have to purchase those in advance (I had forgotten). So I said can I just get 2 adults and one child regular tickets then?

The agent said yes, that's $323. So it sounded high but there was a line etc.. and we went on my way. I realize it's my fault for not checking- but he charged use for park hopper passes! I only figured this out on the way back to our hotel. At no time did myself or the agent utter the words park hopper.

Which added insult to injury because our 4 year old didn't want to go on any rides and asked to leave early. So after 3 attractions in MK and $323 dollars later we left.

Serious bummer. Do you think we have any way of fixing the ticket thing? I was 1/2 thinking of going all the way back to the ticket window in the morning before we leave to look into it. Maybe they could check our tickets that we didn't go to another park? I hate to look like we are trying to get some deal- but I was really shocked to see what we had paid for.

Any thoughts?
gwen7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
bigmoonmullen
Disney Adventurer

If you are staying onsite I would go to the front desk and ask to speak to a manager. They might be able to help or give you thoughts on what your options are.

Otherwise it still would not hurt to go there tomorrow and ask to speak to a manager and explain your situation... just be polite... it may or may not work but at least you gave it a try.

Good Luck,

Mark
2008 - Dolphin / OKW (Nov/Dec)
2009 - Dolphin (Oct)
2010 - Swan / POD2.0 / Swan (Dec)
2011 - ABD - Backstage Magic Tour (Apr)
2011 - Oct - Fun with friends
2012 - May - VWL & BCV
2012 - Oct - BCV & DCL Fantasy
Upcoming:
2012 - Dec - BCV & DCL Fantasy
bigmoonmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen7g View Post

What a crappy day... We are FL residents, came up for one day at Magic Kingdom with our 4 year old son.

At the ticket gate I asked about the FL resident discount and was reminded you have to purchase those in advance (I had forgotten). So I said can I just get 2 adults and one child regular tickets then?

The agent said yes, that's $323. So it sounded high but there was a line etc.. and we went on my way. I realize it's my fault for not checking- but he charged use for park hopper passes! I only figured this out on the way back to our hotel. At no time did myself or the agent utter the words park hopper.

Which added insult to injury because our 4 year old didn't want to go on any rides and asked to leave early. So after 3 attractions in MK and $323 dollars later we left.

Serious bummer. Do you think we have any way of fixing the ticket thing? I was 1/2 thinking of going all the way back to the ticket window in the morning before we leave to look into it. Maybe they could check our tickets that we didn't go to another park? I hate to look like we are trying to get some deal- but I was really shocked to see what we had paid for.

Any thoughts?
I think you can try.Just explain that there was a mistake and you did not pay attention right away. There is possibility it will be fixed.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #4
pickles
Just call me Capt. Barbossa-someone has to play the part of the bad pirate
Most Observant DISer Award

Or maybe if you know you will go again in the future you can upgrade and add non expiry to them, so all is not lost
pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

i'm going to be the dissenter and venture a guess that you will be unsuccessful in getting any money refunded the next day... simply because i am sure people will buy a park hopper thinking they are going to hop and then something happens (i.e. a child will be "done" for the day or a guest gets caught up in the magic where they are and just stay there all day/night long) and ask for the hopping part refunded... not because they were charged for the wrong ticket (in your case) but because they asked for the wrong ticket and once they realized they paid for something they were not using, they decide to try and get refunded...
ergo, i would not waste my time and chalk it up to an expensive mistake...

although, as another posted suggested, if it's w/in 14 days of purchase you can upgrade the ticket, so if you have the extra $, you could add a few days and non-expiry for future use...
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #6
DeniseinNS
DIS Veteran

It can't hurt to call and see if they'll do something. Good luck!
DeniseinNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

I know a guy who got his non-parkhopping ticket changed to a parkhopper for free, so anything is possible. You just gotta ask, and be nice about it.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #8
gwen7g
Earning My Ears

thanks for the feedback... still not sure if we're going to go over there- now realized we'll have to get through the parking $ situation too, seems like a big hassle.

we'll see!
gwen7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
goofyernmost
DIS Veteran

I might easily be reading this wrong but if it was a one day ticket and it was already used, albeit for a short time, then my thought is that it is over. There is no non-expirational option...it's already used.

I think you could attempt to get a refund. It is $150.00 plus for a park hopper but it might be difficult because it would be your word against the word of an unknown CM (unless you got the name).

I would leave out the story about the kid wanting to leave early because that would only serve as a signal that you might be trying to get money back because your plans didn't work out the way you wanted. Getting a park hopper for a one day visit must be fairly rare (I don't know) and you might have a chance in getting a refund for that mistake. The hard part is convincing anyone that it actually was a mistake. The more time that passes the less likely you will be successful.

You may have to just accept this as an expensive lesson and check things out before you leave the booth in the future.

Nothing adult has ever happened to me at Disney!
goofyernmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:10 AM   #10
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwen7g View Post

Any thoughts?
Well, did you put it on your Disney Visa? At least you'll get points for it...
Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

When did they change the rule about purchasing ahead of time as a FL resident? When dh's brother bought his tickets at the gate in 2007, he got the FL resident discount then. This was at the gate at MK on Jan 31, 2007.

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #12
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

I'm having a hard time understanding how it came to $323.? What am I missing?

2 adults at 79 and 1 child at 68 = 228 plus tax and I know tax isn't $95
If you add hoppers $152 then it is way over $323, 384 before tax.

So just what were you charged for? I would check your receipt.

Will someone please explain to me how it added up to $323?
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Several answers at once.

Park hopping on a Florida Resident Ticket is $26 so two adults and one child plus hopping plus tax comes to about $323.

A Florida Resident can get a 10% discount on a one day ticket if the purchase is made in advance (online or by phone) and picking up the ticket at Will Call instead of making the purchase itself on WDW.

And when you explain what happened, a Guest Services Manager will have the authority to issue a refund for the hopping portion, especially since the tickets can be seen in the system as it was not used for hopping.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #14
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
Several answers at once.

Park hopping on a Florida Resident Ticket is $26 so two adults and one child plus hopping plus tax comes to about $323.

A Florida Resident can get a 10% discount on a one day ticket if the purchase is made in advance (online or by phone) and picking up the ticket at Will Call instead of making the purchase itself on WDW.

And when you explain what happened, a Guest Services Manager will have the authority to issue a refund for the hopping portion, especially since the tickets can be seen in the system as it was not used for hopping.

But she said he wouldn't give her the Florida discount. That is why I was confused. So you are saying he DID give her the Florida discount even tho she didn't pre-order?
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
But she said he wouldn't give her the Florida discount. That is why I was confused. So you are saying he DID give her the Florida discount even tho she didn't pre-order?
I believe he didn't get the FL resident discount for the one day ticket price, but did get the FL resident rate for park hopping.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overcharged, tickets

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: