Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
MickeysMagicalMiles
Earning My Ears

Cool Does anybody actually like Figment?

Come on, nobody likes figment, or do they?
The ride isn't too bad but it is no Pirates of the Caribbean. Please state your comments on the subject!
:r otfl2:
Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeysMagicalMiles View Post
The ride isn't too bad but it is no Pirates of the Caribbean. Please state your comments on the subject!
:r otfl2:
Actually, I liked the first version of the ride and Figment was somewhat better in it in my opinion.
disneyfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

I still like Figment. (of course I do, look at my name). It was the very first ride I ever rode at WDW, and it was the first ride my son rode last spring on his first visit. I will always love the Imagination Pavilion, despite its changes. Plus, the concept of Imagination inspired me then and inspires me still.

It's not Figment of old, but it's still "figgy."

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Targsmom
Recently addicted to Disney!

I Love Figment!

Quote:
I love Figment! It's one of the first rides I do when I hit EPCOT! (I'm 37 in case you are wondering- been to Disney 3 times)
Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
There's the CHARACTER named, "Figment," and there's the
RIDE that he's in, "Journey Into Your Imagination."

Most guests like Figment, but many don't think too much of the present version of the ride.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Here's some background-

Kodak, the attraction's corporate sponsor since the opening of Epcot, had an agreement with Disney that stated the attraction must be "updated" for the year 2000.

Little did anyone know that the "creative minds" in WDImagineering would not be nearly as creative in 1998 as they had been in 1980!

The new Imagination ride was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Disney parks. There was NOTHING left of what had made the original such a huge crowd pleaser (and that also meant that there was no Figment in that version!)

So, they soon re-did the re-do and you now still see the result.
Its "cute," (and Figment is back) but the current ride is nothing but a far too brief, sliver of the amazing original ride.

In the grand scheme of these kind of things, it was a colossal blunder.

There's a saying that goes, "Do you want to trade the devil you KNOW for the devil you DON'T know?"
(Meaning that if you don't like your situation NOW, how do you know that you won't move into a WORSE one by making a change?)

I'll paraphase it in the case of "Imagination" to say to Kodak/Disney...
"Do you want to trade the ANGEL you KNOW for the POSSIBLE devil you DON'T know?"

The original version of this ride is my all-time favorite attraction at Epcot.

It was so RICH in details that I'm sure that I never saw "everything" in it, even after literally dozens of ride-throughs.

The scenes were diverse and always surprising.
The musical arrangements were complex and interesting.
The characters were engaging.

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.

I'll assume that there was an entire CHAIN of memos and meetings where warnings of
looming problems were ignored (or not spoken strongly enough.)

I have seen so many majorly ill-advised corporate decisions made in all kinds of companies.

So sad that in a "vast bastion of creativity" like Disney, could they make such an unfortunate move
as to lose the original artistic creation that was the first version of Journey Into IMAGINATION.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #7
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

The guy who sits next to me at work loves Figment. I took pictures of him on the screens at the end of the ride and sent them to him. He printed them and put them on his wall. He's 65 years old and I think he reminds him of when his kids were young and they went to WDW.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
disneyfan55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Here's some background-

Kodak, the attraction's corporate sponsor since the opening of Epcot, had an agreement with Disney that stated the attraction must be "updated" for the year 2000.

Little did anyone know that the "creative minds" in WDImagineering would not be nearly as creative in 1998 as they had been in 1980!

The new Imagination ride was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of Disney parks. There was NOTHING left of what had made the original such a huge crowd pleaser (and that also meant that there was no Figment in that version!)

So, they soon re-did the re-do and you now still see the result.
Its "cute," (and Figment is back) but the current ride is nothing but a far too brief, sliver of the amazing original ride.

In the grand scheme of these kind of things, it was a colossal blunder.

So sad.

There's a saying that goes, "Do you want to trade the devil you KNOW for the devil you DON'T know?"
(Meaning that if you don't like your situation NOW, how do you know that you won't move into a WORSE one by making a change?)

I'll paraphase it in the case of "Imagination" to say to Kodak/Disney...
"Do you want to trade the ANGEL you KNOW for the POSSIBLE devil you DON'T know?"

The original version of this ride is my all-time favorite attraction at Epcot.

It was so RICH in details that I'm sure that I never saw "everything" in it, even after literally dozens of ride-throughs.

The scenes were diverse and always surprising.
The musical arrangements were complex and interesting.
The characters were engaging.

There was even a "ride photo" that displayed as you rode along near the end.
What a tragedy that this was "lost" in an untimely and entirely AVOIDABLE set of missteps.

I'll assume that there was an entire CHAIN of memos and meetings where warnings of
looming problems were ignored (or not spoken strongly enough.)

I have seen so many majorly ill-advised corporate decisions made in all kinds of companies.

So sad that in a "vast bastion of creativity" like Disney, could they make such an unfortunate move
as to lose the original artistic creation that was the first version of Journey Into IMAGINATION.
Very well stated!! I wish they could bring back the entire attraction!!
disneyfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #9
StrikerObi
Long Live the FSU Weasel

Robo said it all.

I like Figment. I've always liked Figment. However, my admiration of the character is built on the absolutely fantastic original Imagination attraction. If I walked into EPCOT for the first time ever tomorrow and went on that ride, I would call it a joke and be done with it forever. The only reason I even ride it today is for Figment, though I do very much enjoy Eric Idle as well. That ride is a real missed opportunity. The original is fantastic, but they could have easily created a fantastic replacement. They just didn't.
StrikerObi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #10
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

I've never been on the first one. We really like the current one but from what I have seen in pictures and stuff, I would have liked the first one just as much if not more.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
skippyman111
I need more vacation days for Disney !

Does anyone have the ride video from the old ride (or can i get it on youtube)?
July 72 - Unknown, June 80 - Disneyland Hotel Penthouse Suite, Sept 03 - ASMo, Sept 05 - Contemporary, Feb 06 - POFQ, Oct 06 - POP, Feb 08 - ASMu, Aug 08 - Poly, Dec 08 - POFQ, Sept 09 - POP, Feb 10 - POP, Sept 10 - POP, May 11 - POP, Dec 11 - POP, Dec 12 - POP

skippyman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
LowesChevy
The happy haunts have received your sympathetic vibrations and are beginning to materialize

Absolutely, I have pictures of myself as a tyke with Dreamfinder and Figment. I would also like to see a revamped version of the original and maybe have Figment pose for photos once again.
LowesChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM   #13
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Blasphemy!!!

I love Figment!!

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
budbeerlady
I call DH The STREAK!!
Sorry honey, no world series tonight, Poo Watch 2006 is going on!

DD still loves it! She fell in love when she was 5 and we still ride it 5+ times a trip. There is no line, its a sit down deal, we tolerate it for her.
Nov 2013 1st Disney Run * Oct 2012 Dream'n Again * Oct 2011 Dd Birthday Cruise* Dec 2010 its all family! *August 2009 ASMu * Nov. 2008 Girls Trip POP * Aug 2008 CBR * Oct. 2007 POP for DD Birthday Trip * Dec. 2006 AKL * Dec. 2005 POFQ for 1st Family Trip* http://stretchingittotravel.wordpress.com/

budbeerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #15
figmentgirl
DIS Veteran

Um... Check the name

However I will not ride the current ride. IT STINKS.

When I was a child, my favorite memories at Disney are of the original Journey in Your Imagination with Figment and the long lost Dreamfinder. Here is a clip if you haven't had the pleasure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2VcQRMOM0

I'm just biding my time with Disney to get it right again. We all know Honey I Shrunk the Audience won't be around forever, and since the current Journey ride is based on it, when they change it, they'll redo Journey (again).

October 2010 Dolphin
March 2010 Poly
May 2009 Poly
2005 YC
2004 Celebration Hotel
1996 CBR
1994 Poly
1990 Poly
Many trips as a child...
figmentgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: