Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #511
CP2010Mom
Earning My Ears

Wow - thanks for the great responses! rbrainerd, you mentioned bringing a computer. Will there be a place for the kids to lock them up? I would hate for it (and other valuables) to be left in the open - even if in their bedrooms.

Thanks again!
CP2010Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #512
kidcoos3
Should be in animation
I'm seriously geographically challenged
As long as it's fruity, has rum and a cute umbrella, I'm game

Doctors?

What if they get sick? My daughter won't have a car. Insurance isn't an issue - that's taken care of. But is there an "urgent care" or something close by?
2001 Boardwalk
2002 Wilderness Lodge/4 Day Wonder
2003 Grand Californian Hotel
2004 Saratoga Springs
2005 Grand Californian Hotel
2006 Saratoga Springs
2007 Mediterranean Magic
2008 Old Key West
2009 7 Day Magic
2009 Adventures By Disney - South Africa
2010 Saratoga Springs
2010 Animal Kingdom Villas, Boardwalk
2011 Villas at Grand California
2012 Aulani
kidcoos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2009, 06:32 PM   #513
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcoos3 View Post
What if they get sick? My daughter won't have a car. Insurance isn't an issue - that's taken care of. But is there an "urgent care" or something close by?
It's a taxi ride away - not far.

My daughter had a roommate who had to call an ambulance one night also and they took her to Celebration Hospital.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #514
rbrainerd
Mouseketeer

Each person has a locker. My DD has one in the walk-in closet. At first she locked her computer up all the time but now she leaves it out, but only in her room. She and her roommates are very close and have limited visitors. Her roommate did leave hers on the floor one day and the apartment above them had a fire and it set the sprinklers off upstairs. Regardless to say, the water leaked down into their bedroom and onto the floor. After that her computer didn't turn on again .
rbrainerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:40 PM   #515
kidcoos3
Should be in animation
I'm seriously geographically challenged
As long as it's fruity, has rum and a cute umbrella, I'm game

Mail

How do the kids get their mail? Do all the students in an apartment share a mailbox? My daughter gets her prescriptions mailed to her and I'm concerned with how that will work.
kidcoos3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #516
dnoyes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcoos3 View Post
How do the kids get their mail? Do all the students in an apartment share a mailbox? My daughter gets her prescriptions mailed to her and I'm concerned with how that will work.
If it is sent US Mail she (or any of her roommates) can pick it up at the mailbox. If sent UPS or FedX they deliver it right to her door.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #517
karliebug
DIS Veteran

Where do most people buy their groceries? Is the walmart that is nearbuy one that has a grocery section or do most kids go to Publix. I want to get my daughter some giftcards she can use to buy food with.
karliebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #518
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliebug View Post
Where do most people buy their groceries? Is the walmart that is nearbuy one that has a grocery section or do most kids go to Publix. I want to get my daughter some giftcards she can use to buy food with.
My daughter went mostly to Walmart because she lived at Vista -- but if you are in the other complexes the Publix is closer.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #519
kikiq
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliebug View Post
My DD is living in Chatham. She walks to Publix and takes the bus to Walmart. I bought gc to both for her. She rather shop for groceries at Publix because the produce is nicer BUT more expensive. The Walmart is a super Walmart with everything. There is a scheduled bus route to Walmart.

kikiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #520
Scully12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Publix is ridiculously over priced. I budgeted about$50 a week for groceries, which was fine at Walmart. If I had to go to publix (just because it didn't take as long as getting to Walmart) I could only get maybe 2/3 of my normal food for the same price. (And for a CP without a huge income, thats a hugge difference!)

And I found that Walmart had better produce. What I bought at Publix would wilt or go bad sooner than my Walmart food.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #521
1955girl
Earning My Ears

The Wal Mart has everything and is very reasonable! DD lived in both Chatam and Patterson, but she did have a car.
Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the program from a parent's perspective.

Kim

John 14:6
1955girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #522
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955girl View Post
DD lived in both Chatam and Patterson, but she did have a car.
What are the differences between Chatham & Patterson, and which one did she like the best? I've heard that Patterson is the newest, but the rooms at Chatham are larger.

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #523
1955girl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
What are the differences between Chatham & Patterson, and which one did she like the best? I've heard that Patterson is the newest, but the rooms at Chatham are larger.
Patterson is newer, and yes the rooms are larger at Chatham, but the biggest plus for Chatam is the bus stop! Patterson doesnt have one, and on rainy days, late nights, and grocey trips, it's much more convenient!

Kim

John 14:6
1955girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #524
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Not a CP mom yet, but DD15 is bound and determined to do the CP. She had me watch the on-line introduction to it over the weekend.

Do any of you parents or alumni have suggestions for a high school student to lay a good foundation for eventually being admitted to the program? DD is an excellent student, participates in extra-curriculars, cross country, band, etc. She is an outgoing "people person" but really wants to major in hard sciences in college. Seems like most of the CP kids are business and fine arts types.

Looking forward to any suggestions. Thanks

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:22 PM   #525
Tigerlily724
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
Not a CP mom yet, but DD15 is bound and determined to do the CP. She had me watch the on-line introduction to it over the weekend.

Do any of you parents or alumni have suggestions for a high school student to lay a good foundation for eventually being admitted to the program? DD is an excellent student, participates in extra-curriculars, cross country, band, etc. She is an outgoing "people person" but really wants to major in hard sciences in college. Seems like most of the CP kids are business and fine arts types.

Looking forward to any suggestions. Thanks
I would encourage her to get work experience in the area she is interested in if possible. If you dont live near an amusement park it might be hard to get attractions experience but if she coud get a retail or resturant job that would be great for her. Disney has a high standard of customer service so if she can learn the basics of that it will be easier to transition into a Disney job. If she is interested in being a character I would recomend at least taking an acting class and a dance or movement class. Its not necessary to have any experience but it certainly helps

Also make it clear to her that she will be working 30 or more hours a week. While it is a fun program, too many kids go down thinking its going to be a vacation and they end up hating the program and leaving or getting kicked out.
Tigerlily724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: