Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Grumpy Fireman
Earning My Ears

Castway Cay Scuba Diving

Why don't they have SCUBA diving on Castway Cay?
Grumpy Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Fireman View Post
Why don't they have SCUBA diving on Castway Cay?
Dont know the official reason, but if I had to guess, its probably the lawyers.
Im realatively certain that theres a few decent reefs near the island, and Disney can always put something on the bottom to add to the mix.
The only other eason I can think of is that since most of the dive trips thru places like Stuart Cove dont attract much interest,(cant imagine why when Disney charges you twice what you would pay if you walked up to the shop or here in Fl) they may see it as a losing venture and not worth considering.But thats just my 2psi.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
adedward
Mouseketeer

Because the water is about 6 inches to 6 feet deep?
Old 11-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #4
poohs4me
DIS Veteran

We asked when we are on the ship last time and they told us they use to offer it (which I kind of remember), but it was not a popular item so it was not advantageous for the vendor to come over. Not sure if this is right though. However, I would be ok if they let us just rent gear and dive in the snorkel area. Not deep but still fun.

I hope they decide to bring it back
poohs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:42 PM   #5
truck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohs4me View Post
We asked when we are on the ship last time and they told us they use to offer it (which I kind of remember), but it was not a popular item so it was not advantageous for the vendor to come over. Not sure if this is right though. However, I would be ok if they let us just rent gear and dive in the snorkel area. Not deep but still fun.

I hope they decide to bring it back
When was that? I was on the inaugural for both ships and sailed a few times with them and dont remeber them offereing diving at CC.Not doubting it but I may have missed it at some point.

Im not surprised if they did and it wasnt very popular. With the prices you pay thru Disney, you can do 2 dives here in Fl. for the same price you can do one with Disney. You can even do the Vandenberg which is the newest artificial reef in Key West for less than Disney will charge you to do a dive thru Stuart COve.

Im with you. I wouldnt mind the shallow water, (Ive found a lot of extinct sharks teeth, including 2 that are the size of my palm in less than 20 feet of water) and would love to get a better look at the 20k sub.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #6
poohs4me
DIS Veteran

Well my first cruise was in 2003. We were not certified then, so I did not pay much attention so I may be mistaken. The excursion desk was the one who mentioned the rest.
poohs4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
truck1

No biggie. I was on a hiatus from cruising at that time so if it was offered then I definitely missed it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: