Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK DVC Discussion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Rascal1003
Disney Family !

Selling DVC Membership - Financial Difficulties

Hi All,
Has anyone had any experience in selling their DVC ownership?

Due to the fact that we are constantly struggling to maintain payments on our membership, the only sensible thing to do is to sell it, but I am not sure how straight forward that is.

We have had our SSR (150 pts) since 2005 and I think a balance of cost and also our changing family holiday requirements (2nd child on the way) have made it that selling is probably the best option for us.

Any advice on this subject would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Russ
Rascal1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Sorry about your troubles. I would contact The Timeshare Store. I have bought and sold with their assistance and have always found them helpful, professional and honest.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-6), Bay Lake Towers (8), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (9), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (5), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern, 10/14 Western), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

Have you thought about renting your points to a UK Disser? That way your yearly fees would be covered. Although there is a little bit of work for you in doing this.

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
Miffy2003
I've got Saratoga Springs - makes me smile every time I log on!
Yumtastic!!

Hi Russ

I sold my 150 points at SSR in 2006. We had purchased them outright so the ongoing payments were not a problem, but we needed the money and could not envisage being able to get to Orlando to use them often enough (hence renting the points for a few years wasn't an option).

Anyway, we sold through the Timeshare Store. It was very easy and I highly recommend them.

Be aware that you will lose 10% on the fees and another 10% on a US tax on foreigners selling property. I understand there is a way to get around that but to be honest I never found it and just "wrote off" that money.

Good Luck.
Miffy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Revtel
Mouseketeer

It's expensive to do, and you will lose money and value at every stage.

The Timeshare Store will take 10%, the US Government will take another 10%, and you will lose on the exchange rate, because they will pay you in dollars. You will also have to engage the services of a Notary Public here in the UK. They don't come cheap!

Also bear in mind that you probably won't get the price you are asking for. The offers we had were five to ten dollars BELOW our asking price, and that was before the current recession.

Best of luck.
Revtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
mrs-mac
Ben & Jerrys addict

We sold using The Timeshare Company and they were very good. It took a few months for us to get a buyer and we had to pay the costs that everyone mentions but that is just one of those things when you choose to sell. We used a local solicitor for the Notary Public and he charged £25. Good luck if you do choose to sell, l hope you find a buyer quickly in these current times
Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
tubtruck
Tubtastic

I believe it is possible to claim the 10% government tax back if you have made a loss on the property. I was told a trip to the US embassy in london is needed though. If I ever sell I would explore this option as it is probably quite a bit of money.

Last edited by tubtruck; 06-25-2009 at 01:53 PM.
tubtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Rascal1003
Disney Family !

Many thanks for the input everyone. It looks as though resale could actually be a financial loss rather than liberation

Having spoken to Disney on the matter, outside of resale we have a couple of other options that would not be so costly....

Firstly, we can allow the ownership to go into forclosure (reposession effectively) which would result in the ownership being retured to Disney.

Secondly, sign the ownership back to Disney, with no further payment or issues.

The first option means we do nothing, but takes around months, the second is a pretty quick process. As we stand to make no profit, then these options both seem to be better than watching any benefits go into the pockets of tan agent or the taxman.

Not an ideal outcome, but reassuring from our point of view that there is virtually no liability if we simply decide not to ontinue as DVC members.

All credit to the Disney staff, they were extremely helpful as ever.
Rascal1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #9
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

What type of net are you looking for on what you have already paid? What do you have left to pay, and what are the monthly payments/fees involved? I have been considering DVC lately...
Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
Claire L
Enjoys a good broadway show
Likes a nice cold glass of White Zinfandel
Has been known to have a blonde moment now and then

I took it to mean when you said payments you meant annual dues not any outstanding finance you may have on the purchase. That being said you do need to work out your best option which will cost you the least, that being said transferring any money back into £'s should work out better as the $ has strengthened since 2005.

Claire
Aug 90 to Mar 98 - 6 visits to US and 20 states visited, inc 2 trips to WDW and 2 trips to DL Jun 01 - WDW Grosvenor DTD 2wks + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk Jun 02 - WDW WL 2wks Feb 03 - New York 4nts Jun 03 - West Coast 3wks SF to LA & DL for 3 days Oct 04 - WDW AKL 10nts + RPR 2nts Jun 05 - WDW YC 10nts + HRH 4nts + TIG St Pete Beach 1wk! Jun 06 - SF to LV inc Lake Tahoe, Yosemite + the Grand Canyon 3wks Dec 06 - NYE at WDW POFQ 11nts inc RPR 1nt Oct 07 - WDW SSR 2wks inc PBH 1nt May 08 - WDW AKV 15nts inc PBH 1nt + VB 4nts Feb 09 - WDW SSR 1wk + BWI 1wk Jun 09 - Washington DC for 1wk Dec 09 - New York for 6nts Oct 10 - Miami 3nts & WDW AKV KV 13nts inc HRH 1nt Jun 11 - LA to Seattle for 3wks inc 3 days at DLC Oct 12 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt Oct 14 - WDW AKV KV 2wks inc PBH 1nt
Claire L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
tubtruck
Tubtastic

Be careful !!! and check your small print the loans from disney for DVC for UK customers are not the same as those to US customers. What type of loan did you take ?. If it was one in GBP by GE money this is not secured on the property and is a UK loan. The US loans are in effect mortgages secured against the property and unlike in the UK when a person in the US hands back the keys to a property that is the end of the matter, i.e nothing else owed, unlike here in the UK where you still owe any outstanding amount.

tubtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #12
Halo
Sic transit gloria mundi

Location: London - Host City of the 2012 best ever Olympics & Paralympics :)

To give you an idea Russ, Timeshare Store is currently offering SSR from $65 per point, so you could reasonably expect $60 per point. On your 150 points that would equate to 150 x $60 = $9,000 before commission + tax.

$9,000 @ $1.64 = £5,488.

Commission = 10% = say £550.

Tax which is reclaimable = 10% say £550.

Disbursements re postage etc say £100.

Net of everything you should clear £4,288 or so by selling. The question you need to consider is whether this will clear your outstanding finance before you decide how to proceed.

Good luck, and best wishes.
1993 May - Orlando & Key West........2000 Nov - Dixie Landings & Disney Wonder.........2002/3 Xmas & NY Marriott Cypress Harbour & Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress..............2006 Easter: Our first trip "Home" to OKW ..........2007 July/August Washington DC - BWV, OKW, PBH & Marriott Cypress Harbour.........2008 Easter: NYC, Marriott Cypress Harbour and PBH.........2008 October: DL and Vegas..............2009 Easter: WDW - I thought the weather was bad at Easter.....2009 May:.....until I went in May ..........2010 Easter: BLT and RCCL Independence of the Seas TA home.........2010 June: DL & NYC....2011 Easter: NYC & WDW.......2011 May: Disney Magic 11-nights in the Med...2011 Aug: Disney Magic 7-nights in the Med....2012 Easter...AKL & HRH.......2013 Easter: Disney Fantasy 7-nights in W. Caribbean & BCV.....2014 Easter: BOS & AMI & WDW, Marriott Grande Vista...2014 July: Disney Magic 12-nights in the Med

DLP so often I've lost count: Newport Bay, Hotel Cheyenne, Davy Crockett, Paris - and by far the best, Marriott d'Ile-de-France.
Owner at DVC OKW, BLT, Marriott Cypress Harbour, Marriott Harbour Lakes & Marriott Marbella Beach.

Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Jason@dvcstore
I support "addonitis"

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal1003 View Post
Hi All,
Has anyone had any experience in selling their DVC ownership?

Due to the fact that we are constantly struggling to maintain payments on our membership, the only sensible thing to do is to sell it, but I am not sure how straight forward that is.

We have had our SSR (150 pts) since 2005 and I think a balance of cost and also our changing family holiday requirements (2nd child on the way) have made it that selling is probably the best option for us.

Any advice on this subject would be very gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Russ
Congratulations about your 2nd child being on the way, however, sorry to hear that you need to sell your DVC. Most have already covered all the costs to sell but if you would prefer an associate email you information on selling please send e-mail to sales@dvcstore.com. The Timeshare Store, Inc.® would appreciate the opportunity to try and sell your property. We are also currently working with a company that helps the foreign sellers recover the 10% FIRPTA tax for small fee.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Jason
Jason@dvcstore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
arielrocks
always planning another trip to Disney!!!

did you finance your dvc through disney or GE money in the UK?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: