Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #31
msce2
DIS Veteran

I love Greek food! We have this great local restaurant. They have a fantastic vegetarian platter (I'm not even a vegetarian) Spanakopita, Tiropita, stuffed grape leaves, roasted red peppers - I digress.....

I WAS really looking forward to Kouzzina in June but I have opted for Flying Fish instead. I think conceptually the dishes are good they're just not being executed well. I'm not sure whether this is due to untrained or unqualified chefs. Although you would think at this point they know there's an issue and wonder why they haven't addressed it.

I also can't understand why any chef wouldn't have informed his customer that a dish is extra spicy???? Very unprofessional. Your Gram could have made a different choice had he let her know.

Me(31) DH(33) DS(11) DD(7) DS(4)

AKV - Jan 2011
BLT - June 2010
BCV - May 2009
BCV - May 2003
msce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #32
cbg1027
I knew I had converted him when he started pointing out hidden Mickeys to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msce2 View Post
I love Greek food! We have this great local restaurant. They have a fantastic vegetarian platter (I'm not even a vegetarian) Spanakopita, Tiropita, stuffed grape leaves, roasted red peppers - I digress.....

I WAS really looking forward to Kouzzina in June but I have opted for Flying Fish instead. I think conceptually the dishes are good they're just not being executed well. I'm not sure whether this is due to untrained or unqualified chefs. Although you would think at this point they know there's an issue and wonder why they haven't addressed it.

I also can't understand why any chef wouldn't have informed his customer that a dish is extra spicy???? Very unprofessional. Your Gram could have made a different choice had he let her know.
I love Greek food too and the stuff I get in town has been so much better than Kouzzina.

I REALLY wish I had gone with Flying Fish instead too, but hey hindsight is 20/20.

I think most of the stuff I ate would have been really good if it was so darn salty! I actually saw at one point when a chef was adding salt to dish......and unless she was cooking the dish for 10 people.....it was a scary sight!

I know, I couldn't believe they didn't inform us about how spicy the burger was....much less even note it on the menu!

I don't know what's going on this place, but my friend manages a Steak N Shake and is majoring in Hospitality Administration and I'm pretty convinced she could do better job running Kouzzina than these folks!
cbg1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #33
Nancy for Disney
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review of Kouzzina. I have an ADR there three weeks from today. I still think I am going to try it for myself although what has made want to change more than anything is the noise. I am very sorry to hear about that.

1973 WDW - 1983 WDW- 1989 Disneyland -2000 Disneyland - 2008 My Family's First Trip to WDW
2009 (Dec) No Kids Trip to Disney: TR LINK http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2330724

Nancy for Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #34
cbg1027

Everything POP Breakfast Again

This will be my super short and photo-free review!

I ate at Everything POP with Gram on the morning of November 1st. We got the same Bounty Platter I reviewed earlier, and a kids pancake platter and shared everything.

The Bounty platter was slightly better this morning because the eggs were hot. Still nothing to write home about though.

The pancakes were certainly decent and we enjoyed them, but again, nothing special.

That's it!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #35
cbg1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy for Disney View Post
Thanks for the review of Kouzzina. I have an ADR there three weeks from today. I still think I am going to try it for myself although what has made want to change more than anything is the noise. I am very sorry to hear about that.
I hope there isn't a salt problem when you go, because other than that, I think the food could have been really good! Just hope you don't get the same server as we did!
Old 11-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #36
cbg1027

Thumbs up A Lunchtime Switch at AK!

After breakfast we headed to AK for the day. Originally we were planning to try Flame Tree BBQ for lunch.

It was still pretty hot out though, so when we walked by Yak and Yeti around 11:00 and I saw the place was empty, the AC spoke to me! I didn't think Gram would be too keen on the idea, but I had her take a look at the menu and she agreed to try it!

So we walked in at 11:10 and I asked if they could take a walk up. They said no problem and seated us right away! We really lucked out with the crowd levels on this trip, the longest we ever waited for anything was sitting in the auditorium before Finding Nemo for 30 minutes!

Yak and Yeti had never been high on my list of places to try. Usually I don't even like doing a TS meal for lunch when I'm at the park because I don't want to make a touring plan based around an ADR.

We were seated upstairs next to the staircase.

I loved the decor in this restaurant! So exotic, elegant, and rustic at the same time. It was very Thai and Indian looking to me. The 2 floors of seating was pretty neat too.

Our server greeted us really promptly. Her name was Tami and boy was she a little spitfire! That woman never stopped going. She was so full of energy!

Gram and I had a difficult time selecting what to order. Being an Asian restaurant, we didn't really have to worry about dairy products so everything seemed appealing, even to Gram!

We finally settled on sharing 3 appetizers and an entree.

For our first appetizer, Gram really wanted the Pork Pot Stickers with soy lime dipping sauce. You can choose to have them steamed or seared.

Sorry, Gram dug in before I could catch a photo! I'm not a pot sticker person but these were pleasant enough. I ate one and Gram finished them off, so she obviously really liked them.

I had read about the Wok-Fried Green Beans with sweet Thai chili dipping sauce here on the boards in several reviews and wanted to try those.

These were outrageously good! Green beans are one of my favorite vegetables to begin with, so breading and frying them? I don't think you could go wrong with that. These were crispy and lightly breaded and cooked to a point that the green beans still had a hint of crunch to them. I really liked the dipping sauce as well - it was mostly like a sweet duck sauce, the chiles were in flakes so you only got the spicy if you picked up a flake. Gram wasn't wild over these, but she ate some of them.

Then we also got the Pork Egg Rolls with chili-plum dipping sauce.

Gram and I both loved these and thought they were some of the best egg rolls we've ever had. They were cooked wonderfully - not too greasy and perfectly crisped. I liked the filling because the vegetables weren't slimy and overcooked like the inside of most egg rolls. They had a nice ratio of meat to veggies, probably 50/50. The chili-plum sauce was good, but I like the egg rolls in the Thai chili sauce that came with the green beans better because you could get that fleck of spice with them.

As an entree, we shared the Baby Back Ribs with hoisin BBQ sauce, chicken fried rice, and sweet chili slaw.

We both thought these were outstanding. As you can see, they are served with a huge steak knife, but there is absolutely no need for it. These ribs were so fall off the bone tender they just broke apart at the slightest touch. The meat was moist and flavorful, not at all dry. I liked the sauce that they were basted in....it was sweet and smokey and the sesame seeds sprinkled on top added another layer of flavor to the dish.

The fried rice was just ok....neither one of us really ate much of it because we were getting really full and wanted the room for the ribs!

The slaw that's served with it was very good. It had some cabbages and red bell pepper with a light dressing. Very good dish for a hot day...cool and crunchy with the slightest hint of spice. Gram didn't like it because she's not in to raw bell peppers, but I thought the slaw was an excellent accompaniment to the ribs.

Some more decor:

The biggest surprise about Yak and Yeti for me was that Gram actually really liked it! I was surprised she agreed to try it in the first place, but for the both of us, I'm so glad she did!

Tami was an excellent server. She was very attentive and anticipated our needs well. We never had empty glasses and there was never a dirty dish in our way. She also timed things nicely for us and made sure we were finished with the appetizers before bringing out the entree.

I would highly recommend Yak and Yeti if you're in AK. I'm trying to make an ADR for lunch there on December 13 for my next trip and they seem to be all booked up!

If you know what to expect (Americanized Pan-Asian) then you will enjoy it. Just don't go in thinking you're in for an authentic Asian meal.

This was a wonderful, uplifting meal after the disaster that was Kouzzina.
Gram and I both rate Yak and Yeti an 8.

Last edited by cbg1027; 11-19-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:30 PM   #37
cbg1027

Dinner - Everything POP

After a hot day at AK, we were pretty wiped out. Originally we were planning to check out a food court at another resort, but we decided to just catch the bus back to POP and have dinner there.

We went straight in to food court after we got off the bus and settled on splitting 2 different flatbreads. We took them back to our room to eat.

The first one was the Meditteranean:

This was pretty darn delicious for a food court. The crust was thin and crispy and topped with artichoke hearts, feta cheese, kalamata olives, capers, raosted red pepper, and sun dried tomatoes. Gram and I both liked this a lot.

Our second choice was the Chef's Special of the Day, a Cuban Flatbread:

This was basically an open-faced Cuban sandwich. It was full of shredded pork, sliced ham, pickles, swiss cheese, and a dijon mustard/mayo drizzle. I LOVE Cuban sandwiches so this was right up my alley. Very tasty and I liked the flatbread crust instead of regular Cuban bread. They don't have this all the time, but I'm glad we went on a day they did!

I thought our dinner at Everything POP was a lot better than our breakfast experiences there. A good choice for an evening when you're tired and don't want to leave the resort. We rated it a 6.5.

Last edited by cbg1027; 11-27-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #38
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Great reviews so far!!!
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #39
cbg1027

Day 4 Breakfast

We didn't want to eat a big breakfast this day since we were going to head straight to Epcot around 11am for the F&W Festival. So the night before when we got our dinner from Everything POP, we grabbed a couple pf pastries to hold us over til lunchtime.

We had a Blueberry Muffin and a Pain au Chocolat:

The muffin was decent. It was moist and crumbly and had lots of juicy blueberries, but it was just a muffin.

The pastry, on the other hand, was excellent! It had a croissant-type bread with a chocolate filling. It was so close to what I used to eat when I living in France. I was very impressed with it!

Pastry: 8
Muffin: 5
Old 11-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #40
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

thanks for the great reviews
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:01 AM   #41
mossyflossy
Mouseketeer

I'm a little late joining, but thanks so much for these reviews, and happy to see that they'll be some more in Dec....lucky you!

We also had such a surprisingly good meal at Yak n Yetti last month, so I agree that we should form our own opinions on stuff.

That said, think we'll be giving Kouzzina a wide berth along with Tutto...too much salt is pretty unforgiveable in a place that calls itself a restaurant, as is an italian restaurant that can't cook pasta or a tomato sauce!

Such a lovely pic of you and your grandma!
mossyflossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #42
cbg1027

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco View Post
Great reviews so far!!!
Aw thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
thanks for the great reviews
My gastronomic pleasure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
I'm a little late joining, but thanks so much for these reviews, and happy to see that they'll be some more in Dec....lucky you! I know, I am so lucky to live 4 hours from Disney and be able to afford to go again so soon!

We also had such a surprisingly good meal at Yak n Yetti last month, so I agree that we should form our own opinions on stuff.

That said, think we'll be giving Kouzzina a wide berth along with Tutto...too much salt is pretty unforgiveable in a place that calls itself a restaurant, as is an italian restaurant that can't cook pasta or a tomato sauce!

Such a lovely pic of you and your grandma!Oh thank you!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 AM   #43
cbg1027

Thumbs up More F&W Festival!

We went straight to the WS at 11am on November 2. We picked up where we left off, in the UK pavilion.

Our first booth was Wellington, New Zealand, where we had the Seared Sea Scallop with Vegetable Slaw and Lemon Oil:

This scallop was cooked to perfection. Tender and delicious with a wonderful crust from the searing, lightly accented with the lemon oil and few herbs. We both thought this was great and would love to see this an entree somewhere! The vegetable slaw was kind of boring, but a nice accompaniment.
Rating: 8.5

We also had the Lamb Slider with Tomato Chutney:

This was another wonderful item. The meat was juicy, tender, and flavorful. The chutney was a bit sweet and paired well. It was like a really nice version of those slider mini burgers that are so in vogue right now.
Rating 8.5

A few steps away from the New Zealand booth was the much talked about Cork, Ireland kiosk, where we purchased the Lobster and Scallop Fisherman's Pie:

Umm, hello, gastronomic heaven. This was outstanding as most people had been reporting. The top was fluffy whipped potatoes and underneath were substantial chunks of scallop and lobster in a lovely, creamy broth. Luckily, I got this little delight all to myself since it clearly had dairy that Gram couldn't eat. On one hand I felt bad she could try it, but mostly, I was glad I got it all to myself.
Rating: 9.5
The only reason it doesn't get the full 10 is because the lobster chunks were slightly overcooked.

Also from Cork, Ireland, we got the Kerrygold Cheese Selection:

This time, Gram was able to partake in all the deliciousness because these were aged cheeses. The plate had pieces of an aged Cheddar, Dubliner, and Ivernia. All three were wonderful, but we both liked the Cheddar the best. These were all fairly sharp, semi-hard cheeses. My only complaint with this selection was that I would have liked to have seen more variety - a proper cheese plate should feature a soft, a medium, and a hard cheese, and preferably a goat selection. At least in my French-taught book. I didn't care for the bread - it was like cardboard to me, but Gram snapped it up and said it was good. The apple chutney was sweet and yummy, a nice contrast to the sharp cheeses.
Rating: 9

Next, we moved on to France. Instead of getting the savory items at the Paris booth, we decided to spend our calories on pastries from the Boulangerie Patisserie.

Gram has the Almond Croissant:

This was amazing. Croissant bread with a marzipan-like filling. Delicieux, as they say in France!
Rating: 8.5

I picked the Nid d'Abeille (Bee's Nest):

This was disappointing. The cream filling made me a little sick....there was so much of it, and it had that weird after feeling in my mouth that you get from creamy items made with artificial crap and things that aren't supposed to be in it, like soybean oil. I had a few bites and then stole more of Gram's croissant!
Rating: 3

After our vacances a la belle France, our next food stop was Melbourne, Australia, where we split the Grilled Lamb Chop with Red Wine Sauce and Murray River Sea Salt:

Gram adored this dish. I wouldn't say I was as enamored by it as she was, but I did like it. I loved the sauce, and the chunks of salt, and the greens under it were delicious. But the lamb chop was cooked well done, and I like my red meat medium-rare, so that spoiled it a little for me. I sopped up the sauce with most of the greens and let Gram have the meat.
Gram's rating: 9
My Rating: 7

Our next booth, well MY next booth, was Bangkok, Thailand. Gram doesn't like Thai so I had these dishes all to myself!
My first selection was the Green Papaya Salad with Shrimp:

This was good, but not great. I really liked the green papaya salad....very refreshing on a hot day, and I loved the pairing with the shrimp. But the shrimp were just kind of lackluster. They were cooked nicely, not overdone, but they didn't have any flavor. It was like plain seared shrimp, and for Thai, I was expecting something spicy and flavorful!
Rating: 6

I also had the Chicken and Coconut Soup with Mushrooms, Lemongrass, and Ginger:

This gets my award for best item of the festival. Unconventional pick, I know, but it was so incredibly delicious. The flavor of this soup was out of this world good. The broth was a coconut milk base and just teeming with bright lemongrass and ginger aromas. I don't usually like large bits of cooked mushrooms, but the ones in this soup were very good. I found the recipe over on the recipe exchange, and it calls for ****ake mushrooms, so I guess that's what these were. There were also chunks of chicken, and the garnish on the top was more lemongrass. I am about to drool on keyboard thinking about this dish!
Rating: A Perfect 10!

Our last festival booth stop of the day was Cape Town, South Africa for the Seared Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potato Puree and Mango Barbeque Sauce:

This was another favorite of my Gram's, but had the same problem for me as the Lamb Chop did - overcooked! Otherwise it would have gotten a 10 rating from me! The sweet potato puree had some spices in it...I could definitely pick out cinnamon, maybe cloves and allspice? The sauce was sweet and spicy, and two on top of a piece of beef.....yummy! Another thing I wish they would serve at a restaurant so I could get a whole serving and have the beef cooked medium rare. Gram loved the beef and the sweet potato puree, but wasn't a fan of the sauce since it was too spicy for her liking.
We both rated it an 8.

That was the end of our grazing around the world. My eyes were much bigger than my stomach apparently. There were soooo many other items I wanted to sample, but we just did not have that much room. I actually wish the portions were SMALLER (with smaller prices) so I could sample more.

If we didn't have a dinner ADR, we would have stayed, taken a break, and then kept going!

I've only been to the F&W Festival one other time, in 2006, and while some people claim it's gone down in quality, I enjoyed it MORE this time around. Probably because I got to eat more! To truly appreciate F&W, I would say one would need to give it a good 3 days and six meal times.

Coming up next: Birthday Dinner at Citricos!
Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 AM   #44
cbg1027

****ake mushrooms?

Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #45
mossyflossy
Mouseketeer

it's a shame the F&W offerings aren't all, say, $2, with smaller bite size portions...that way you could sample more and fill up on favourites. I love mushrooms, even s@@t ones!
mossyflossy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: