Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Voyage of the Delawareans: November 8-12 4-Night cruise (W/ PICS) NOW COMPLETE (12/3)

Hello and welcome to my very first trip report, about my very first cruise. My in-laws were gracious enough to take my family on a 4-night cruise which took place from November 8-12. We'll kick things off soon, but first, here is our cast of characters:

ME: Mark, age 35. Philadelphia sports nut and avowed Disney geek. One of the few pictures of me that didn't break the camera.

DW: Julie (age undisclosed). Supermom and Scrapbooker Extraordinaire.

DD: Sarah, age 7. Likes dinosaurs and guinea pigs.

DS1: David, age 5. When we're old and gray, we will have the most stories about him. By far.

DS2: Scotty, age 3. Picture speaks for itself.

Also accompanying us were my FIL and MIL, who were notoriously camera-shy. Just call us the Magnificent Seven. We flew down on Friday and stayed 2 nights at the Wilderness Lodge (pause for wistful nostalgia) before embarking on the cruise.

As far as what to expect in this report: I can be very wordy at times. Please smack me if I start to be redundant, and say the same thing over and over. Nobody likes that guy who keeps going over the same point. Don't let me be redundant.

I'll generally keep things positive. I call 'em like I see 'em, but you have to work hard to get me angry. I hate to complain about anything. Plus, I'm pre-disposed to love all things Disney. So no Disney-bashing here.

And I hope I don't disappoint you foodies, but I am not a gourmet. I have very basic tastes: meat and potatoes. Don't like vegetables (never grew up), seafood (tastes too much like fish), or anything spicier than vanilla ice cream. Within those parameters, however, it's hard to disappoint me. So I'll give our impressions of our meals, but if you are looking for serious critiques, I'm probably not your guy.

With those ground rules in place, let the fun begin! Coming up next: our arrival. Plus: who would win in a footrace, my FIL or 3-year-old? It's closer than you might think...

Last edited by Captain_Oblivious; 12-03-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: adding update to title
Captain_Oblivious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Emma's Dad
DIS Dad's Club Member
SOMEONE thinks I know SOMETHING!
Get your zombie ammunition NOW!

First one here Can't wait for more....
DIS Dads Club Member #115
4/08 - POP, 4/09 - CSR, 4/10 - CSR, 4/11 - BWV, 1/13, 4/13 & 12/13 - BCR

"If only Tinker Bell was related to the tooth fairy... where is my Disney magic??" - 2010 TR
"What's Your Problem?" Caught by loop and hook... (My first TR)
Emma's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Looks like I'm number 2. No wise cracks about that.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post

Whatever do you mean!!

Im #3

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
DisneyDaddy-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
westgirl
Mouseketeer

I'm in too!

westgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
zuperdaave
Mouseketeer

you're off to a great start - looking forward to the report!

zuperdaave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #7
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's Dad View Post
First one here Can't wait for more....
Thanks! Please pick up your prize at the service desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki
Will this report serve as your newspaper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDaddy-O
Whatever do you mean!!

Im #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by westgirl
I'm in too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuperdaave
you're off to a great start - looking forward to the report!
Thanks! Hope I don't disappoint.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Time2go2disney
DVC 1999

Looking forward to your report .................... From a sourthern Delawarean (Lower Slower Delaware)
Time2go2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:28 PM   #9
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2go2disney View Post
Looking forward to your report .................... From a sourthern Delawarean (Lower Slower Delaware)

I'm still south of the canal myself!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257

Day 1: Friday, November 6

This trip had been planned for over a year. My wife had surgery last October, and as we were driving to the hospital, her mother announced that she wanted to take our family on a Disney Cruise. Waking up after the procedure, my wife asked, "Did she really say that, or is it just the morphine?"

Things were touch-and-go over the year, and not because of my wife. My in-laws had their own health problems, having a hard time staying out of the ER. My FIL is on oxygen nearly 24/7, while MIL had been having problems with a herniated disc. Then, on the Monday before our trip, she fell in a parking lot and broke her wrist, badly bruising her jaw as well.

Nevertheless, we made it to the airport (5 suitcases and 7 people in one minivan ) and flew out from BWI in the evening.

We flew Southwest Airlines, which we love and have never had any problems with (except for the time we landed at the wrong airport, but that's a different story...). The only problem with Southwest is that walking from their terminal to the Magical Express desk takes almost as long as the flight. FIL couldn't have his oxygen on the flight, so he was sucking wind, and our 3-year-old was actually going faster. We offered to grab his bag or get a wheelchair, but he said no. (By the end of the week, we had learned not to even ask, but just to grab the bag)

Finally aboard the bus, we set off for the Wilderness Lodge!

Scotty was apparently not impressed with the ride:

One of my favorite things about Disney is the way they effortlessly create atmosphere with their theming. At their best, the level of detail makes you feel transported. And I think the Wilderness Lodge is one of the best examples of this. The attention to detail, the western music piped into the lobby, and the sheer grandeur of the place makes it a jaw-dropper. It's my favorite resort on the property.

Naturally, when my in-laws asked me to plan the trip, I ever-so-helpfully suggested we go down early and spend some time at the Wilderness Lodge. Other resorts, you ask? Uh, no, I'm not aware of any...

We dumped our stuff in our rooms and went to Roaring Forks for dinner. I had a pizza (excuse me, flatbread) while MIL ordered a deli sandwich about the size of her head. Now if you had a badly bruised jaw, could barely open your mouth, and it hurt like crazy to chew, wouldn't you get the same thing?

I know, I know, they're taking us on this trip, so I should be gracious. It just pained me to see all that food being thrown away.

From there, it was off to bed. After the obligatory stroll through the souvenir shop, of course.

Coming up next: Is it possible to have fun at Disney World if you're too much of a cheapskate to spring for 1-day park tickets? And then, the Ultimate Showdown: Big Dave vs. T-Rex!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
DizNutDad
Disney thoughts all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
This trip had been planned for over a year. My wife had surgery last October, and as we were driving to the hospital, her mother announced that she wanted to take our family on a Disney Cruise. Waking up after the procedure, my wife asked, "Did she really say that, or is it just the morphine?"

Things were touch-and-go over the year, and not because of my wife. My in-laws had their own health problems, having a hard time staying out of the ER. My FIL is on oxygen nearly 24/7, while MIL had been having problems with a herniated disc. Then, on the Monday before our trip, she fell in a parking lot and broke her wrist, badly bruising her jaw as well.

Nevertheless, we made it to the airport (5 suitcases and 7 people in one minivan ) and flew out from BWI in the evening.

We flew Southwest Airlines, which we love and have never had any problems with (except for the time we landed at the wrong airport, but that's a different story...). The only problem with Southwest is that walking from their terminal to the Magical Express desk takes almost as long as the flight. FIL couldn't have his oxygen on the flight, so he was sucking wind, and our 3-year-old was actually going faster. We offered to grab his bag or get a wheelchair, but he said no. (By the end of the week, we had learned not to even ask, but just to grab the bag)

Finally aboard the bus, we set off for the Wilderness Lodge!

Scotty was apparently not impressed with the ride:

One of my favorite things about Disney is the way they effortlessly create atmosphere with their theming. At their best, the level of detail makes you feel transported. And I think the Wilderness Lodge is one of the best examples of this. The attention to detail, the western music piped into the lobby, and the sheer grandeur of the place makes it a jaw-dropper. It's my favorite resort on the property.

Naturally, when my in-laws asked me to plan the trip, I ever-so-helpfully suggested we go down early and spend some time at the Wilderness Lodge. Other resorts, you ask? Uh, no, I'm not aware of any...

We dumped our stuff in our rooms and went to Roaring Forks for dinner. I had a pizza (excuse me, flatbread) while MIL ordered a deli sandwich about the size of her head. Now if you had a badly bruised jaw, could barely open your mouth, and it hurt like crazy to chew, wouldn't you get the same thing?

I know, I know, they're taking us on this trip, so I should be gracious. It just pained me to see all that food being thrown away.

From there, it was off to bed. After the obligatory stroll through the souvenir shop, of course.

Coming up next: Is it possible to have fun at Disney World if you're too much of a cheapskate to spring for 1-day park tickets? And then, the Ultimate Showdown: Big Dave vs. T-Rex!

Awesome pictures. I have not been there yet, but it reminds me of Animal Kingdom Lodge. FYI...Big Philly sports fan here too. I think it is possible to have fun at Disney World without tickets.

87 Contemporary ** 98 Offsite ** 06 SSR ** 07 SSR ** 08 AKL ** 09 DCL Magic ** 09 OKW ** 11 DCL Dream/VWL ** 12 AKL ** 13 OKW ** 14 BWV ** 14 DCL Dream
DizNutDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #12
FreezinRafiki
DDC 322
Cold enough for ya?
Shocking, isn't it. Oh, wait, thats a taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
It just pained me to see all that food being thrown away.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't have a problem asking my MIL "you gonna finish that?"

The Wilderness is a beautiful resort. We stayed in the Villas section a few years ago. In the very last room in the hallway. It has to have been 1/4 mile walk from the elevators! [The DIS needs a smiley who's red in the face, bent over, and sucking wind]
Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
Wherem I Now
DIS Dad #30
29+85+77+26+95+4=FUN

Sign me up!

Awesome pics of Wilderness Lodge. We visited several of the resorts last year and Wilderness Lodge was by far our favorite!
#30 King of the house, ruled by the Queen, and overrun by Princesses (18,16,7)

1978, 6/91 DisneyMoon, 10/94 DVL, 10/00 1st trip with DD's, 1/03, 1/05, 1/06 DCL Wonder. 4/06 Bonus day after business trip, 1/07 1st trip for 3rd DD, 6/07, 8/08 "Resort Hopper Trip", 1/09, 10/10, 5/11 DCL Dream, 4/12 OKW, 6/13 DCL Dream & OKW
Wherem I Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
4 mickey
4 MICKEY

Hi
Great start
love the pictures !
DL Paris 1trip
1 visit Aulani
4 mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #15
jundland
Mouseketeer

Sail on Captain, I'm along for the voyage. In case of emergency you do provide life vests don't you?

DIS DAD'S CLUB MEMBER #389
[COLOR="DarkRed"]1986 off site--2003 ASMovies--2004 POP--2005 ASMovies--2006 CBR--2007 CBR--2008 PORiverside--2009 Poly--2010 BLT--Boardwalk/Beach Club 2011--Disney Dream/Animal Kingdom 2012--Old Key West 2013][COLOR]
jundland is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: