Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
joelp
DIS Veteran

Fairies, Fireworks, Family - and Palaver Stew!! A Sep 09 TR

For those of you who haven’t read the pre-trip report, here’s the “starting” Cast of Characters:

Me – Joel – aka “The Birthday Boy”

Vicki – my DW

Danielle – our DD-6

Mary Jo – my Mom and Danielle’s DGM

Allan – one of my younger brothers (yes – he is younger than me!)

Delani – Allan’s DD-12

Alana – Allan’s DD-10

We’ll also be meeting up with my other younger brother’s family and Vicki’s cousin a couple of days into the trip, but I’ll hold off introducing them until they actually have their grand entrances.

The main purpose of this trip was – ta daaa!! – to celebrate my 50th (make that 13 in “WDW Years” …) birthday. But it would also be the first family vacation (my Mom and her boys – not to mention the granddaughters …) we have had since – ta daaa!! – a trip to WDW way back in 1976 …

Speaking of which – here is an old photo of my brother Jed and I from that trip:

(gotta love the black socks!!)

I don’t remember too much from that 1976 trip, other than the Haunted Mansion really blew me away … and that little booklet of ride tickets labeled “A”, “B”, “C”, “D”, and “E” … and we stayed at some off-site hotel where Allan and I mastered a “Death Race” arcade game (which could serve as an explanation for my brother’s driving skills …)

And there was only the Magic Kingdom back then …

My Mom, Allan and his girls have been to WDW a few times – but (if you can believe it!) only to the MK – so hitting Epcot (the girl’s choice) and Animal Kingdom (my Mom’s request) – in addition to spending my B-day at the MK – were on our list or things to do.

And this trip was also to be a surprise for Danielle – we told her we were flying down to Florida to visit her cousin Nina (so we could pack without too many questions …) – which we were (so we didn’t have to lie to her …) - and that Grandma was taking us to the Philadelphia airport (which she was, too … no so lies all around!). But – we didn’t tell Danielle we were meeting her cousin in WDW – or that her grandmother, uncle, and “New Jersey cousins” were also going along for the ride.
I took Ranger to his “doggie resort” Wednesday evening – we ate a dinner of leftovers and perishables (pretty much emptying the refrigerator in the process …) – and got most of the packing done … and went to bed (although I didn’t get that much sleep …)

And “woke up” about 5:00 on Thursday, September 17 …

Ate a quick breakfast … finished packing … loaded up the car… and by 7:00 were on our way to Grandma’s …
Where we arrived – on time – at 8:30 – only to find Grandma (and Allan and the girls) nowhere in sight!! (Did I start to panic? … almost …)

After about a 10 minute wait Grandma finally showed up: she had taken a drive to Wawa for coffee … and a few minutes later Allan and the girls finally arrived!

My Mom went upstairs to print out our boarding passes – but just like the night before, the AirTran computer system was not behaving - so we would have to check-in and get the passes at the airport. (Panic time?? … almost …)

Danielle was very excited to visit her cousin Nina, and told Delani and Alana they could go with us to Florida. But Uncle Allan was another matter – he had to stay home!!

We loaded up my Mom’s van – took a “start of the trip” picture – and headed off to the airport …

And ran into the morning rush hour traffic jam on Route 95 – and got stuck sitting behind a garbage truck!! (OK – time for the panic attack? – not yet …but getting there …)

At the airport, Allan and I took car to the economy lot and arrived back at the terminal just as everyone else finished checking-in. So we were all set and headed off to our gate (thus – there would be no panic attack …) – hitting a few restrooms and gift shops (of course!!) along the way …

We had lunch at the airport … nothing worth writing about (we’re talking airport food here!)

Waiting for the plane, my Mom and I finally told Danielle all of us were going to WDW for my birthday … but she was still more excited about Nina meeting us than the fact that we were actually going to WDW!

It was a nice flight, with Danielle occasionally talking and playing with two boys her age sitting behind us, coloring in her new Mickey Mouse Clubhouse activity book, or listening to music on Vicki’s i-Touch.

We arrived at MCO on time, jumped onto our first “unofficial” WDW “ride” (the monorail from the gate to the main terminal …), and made our way to the Magical Express buses. There was no need to check-in at ME counter (which was empty!) - they checked us in as we entered the queue to the bus. This may be the procedure they use when the airport isn’t that busy …?

We had only 5 minute wait for the bus. After loading our carry-on bags, we happilly jumped on board and Danielle (with Vicki and I in tow) rushed to her favorite seats in back of the bus …

… where she was soon joined by her two new friends from the plane (but they were staying at POP). The rest of the crew found seats up front …

We arrived at AKL right on schedule around 4:00, after short stops at POP and Caribbean Beach (which we had never seen before – I took notice of the internal shuttle bus …).

Everyone was impressed by the AKL lobby (no surprise there!).

Mom and I checked-in while everyone else checked out the lobby and the Arusha Savannah (all three girls were into “exploration” mode …)

And then I took my Mom out onto the savannah – and there were animals everywhere!! – a small “herd” of Zebra, giraffes, pelicans, Ankole cattle … more animals than we had seen the entire time of our week-long trip in December 2008!!

We had requested a room on the Zebra Trail, but got Giraffe Trail, Pool View on the 3rd floor (room 3020). It turned out to be a very nice location with a great view of the pool, and very convenient to everything – right down the hall from the lobby, and an elevator about 20 feet from the room that lead right to the pool. Mom and the others were just down the hall (Room 3012).

Everyone changed into bathing suits (which we had packed into our carry-ons for just such an occasion …) and jumped into the pool – the water was warmer than the air (and it was 90 degrees outside!!).

Around 6:00 we headed back to the rooms for showers (our luggage had arrived while we were busy swimming …).

The kids then took part in the Wildlife Games at the Sunset Lounge, while us adults sat back and relaxed. We then hung out and talked with a CM from South Africa for a bit, checked out the Sunset Savannah and the artwork in the lounge – and then it was that time for our dinner ADR at Boma! Boma! Boma! …

We were told we had about a 15 minute wait, so Alana was put in charge of the “buzzer” and stayed with the other adults while Danielle, Delani, and I went out to Arusha Rock for the African Storytelling around the fire pit. The storyteller was the same CM we had been talking with in the Sunset Lounge … It was a nice story with the moral: “Don’t make promises you can’t keep.” – and Danielle ended up sitting on Delani’s lap as they both listened.
We headed back to Boma and met Alana on the way – our table was ready!! (after about a 20 minute wait …)

It was a very nice and fun dinner – and my favorite: Palaver stew, was on the night’s menu!! I LOVE Palaver stew!! Love it! Love it! Love it! Unfortunately, it wasn’t on the Boma menu the two nights we ate there in December 2008 – but it was on the menu tonight – and I was in Palaver stew heaven!!

Our waitress was a lot of fun, and thoroughly encouraged Allan to order the mai-tai specialty drink (which he did …). The kids went crazy over the mini-chocolate mousse dessert cups, but were otherwise un-adventurous in their food selection (no surprise there …). And I forget how many trips I made to the buffet, trying something different just about every time (and using watermelon to “cleanse my palette” …) – but having at least three bowls of Palaver stew!! (I lost count … I was on a Palaver stew high …)

I distributed the pins I had bought on e-bay and the Tink t-shirts to the girls (with instructions that the shirts were to be worn on Saturday – my birthday! – when would also visit Pixie Hollow …)

After dinner Danielle, her two cousins, my Mom and I went over to Uzima Savannah to check out the night viewing goggles – it was very cool!! – but kind hard to see anything.

And we were in bed by 10 … tired but ready to hit our first park the next morning – Epcot!

And it was a great first day of our WDW vacation!!

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;
AKV-Kidani - 11/12; AKV-Jambo - 11/13 ; AKV-Jambo - 12/14

Dec 2008 Trip report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post29702539
Sep 2009 Trip Report at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post34156519
Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
March 2011 PTR at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2643038
Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

YAY, you started!!!! Going back to read now!!!! Woohoo!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
joelp
DIS Veteran

Shouldn't you be out picking up a few pizzas? Or do they deliver??

Off site - 8/76, 10/90, 10/94; POFQ - 5/07; AKL - 12/08; AKL - 9/09; Off site - 6/10; AS Movies - 3/11;

Sep 2009 TR continued (but never finished) at http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post36403597
Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelp View Post
Shouldn't you be out picking up a few pizzas? Or do they deliver??
LOL!! You are so right.....I jumped on DIS when my DH went to pick up!! Hope you guy had a great Halloween!!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
cdhale
Mouseketeer

I am here! Great start!

Cheryl

Nov 14 ~ Poly * Sept 13 ~ POFQ * Jan 11 ~ Poly * Jan 10 ~ Poly * Jan 09 ~ WL * Feb 02 ~ DTD * Mar 97 ~ CBR * Mar 89 ~ off site

Old 11-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Sounds like your trip is off to a great start!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #7
joelp
DIS Veteran

Thanks for joining the "party" ...

My two-week battle with a head cold is now officially over ...

... it's morphed into a sinus infection!!

And - when I have the energy - I'm trying to get the photobook for our trip finished - there's a sale on at Shutterfly that ends in a couple of days ...

So it will be a bit until I get around to Day 2 (I have it written, I just have to grab and load the photos ... and there are LOTS of photos!!)

BTW - it's "unofficial" - but today starts a new 24-month "countdown" ... ... "Jersey Week" in 2011!!

Actually - we may get back to WDW for a couple of days in June - we're taking a "family vacation" with the DW's side - a cruise out of Tampa ... and Tampa is purrty darn close to Orlando the last time I checked a map ...

So, Kristen - when are you going again? We have to "dis-coordinate" our schedules so there is no possibility of us actually meeting face-to-face in WDW!!!

Later ...

Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
joelp
DIS Veteran

Has it really been 10 days since I posted anything??!!?

Day 2-Part 1 is about ready to go ... so hold on to your Mickey ears just a little bit longer ...

Old 11-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
joelp
DIS Veteran

Bored?!? How can you be bored in Disney World???

Here it is, folks!! Day 2 gets off to a rolling start ...

Day 2 - Friday – September 18

I woke up about 5:00 (about my usual time – but I usually don’t get 7 hours sleep – so I was feeling pretty good …), got out of bed around 5:30 and went for an early-morning (pre-dawn!!) stroll around the AKL …

It was still dark, and the lodge was very (VERY!!) quiet. Just a few other people were up and about … a couple of guests getting their first cups of coffee for the day, a CM here and there, the guys cleaning the pool …

The gate to the far reaches of Arusha Rock was closed (drats!), and there were no animals visible on the Sunset or Uzima Savannahs, either. So I just crashed on a sofa in the lobby, watched an old Mickey Mouse cartoon on the TV, and soaked up that unique AKL atmosphere.

I also modified my plan to run on my birthday - to using treadmill in Fitness Center instead of heading out onto the roads…

Back in the room, our scheduled 6:00 am wake up call from Mickey arrived, and I called over to other room to make sure they were up … (they were – grudgingly!)

We all met for our first breakfast in The Mara. The kids all had chocolate chip muffins (very tasty – plus it gave them that early morning jolt they needed!). I had a croissant and helped my Mom finish off her heaping plate of scrambled eggs.

Allan stayed at AKL to meet my younger brother Jed around 11 – the two of them were scheduled to do the Richard Petty Experience. Jed, Mindi, and Nina (Jed’s DW and DD) were (in theory … as we shall see) driving to Orlando from Tampa that morning. Mindi and Nina were just going to hang out at the AKL until we arrived around 2 pm for our afternoon break.

After breakfast we headed to the bus stop – and our first park: Epcot! – after a short wait for the bus …

… we arrived at the gates by 8:15 … with Danielle and Delani all pretty in pink …

While the ladies hit the rest rooms, I hit Guest Relations and picked up a Birthday Button for myself (!) and “I’m Celebrating” buttons for the girls.

And while waiting for the gates to open, I noticed that there were not that many people waiting with us (a good sign!!) …

The turnstiles opened around 8:45, and as we walked towards the rope drop who do we see but – Daisy!! Danielle had been dying to see Daisy our last two trips (without any luck!) – and here she was, the first Character meet ‘n’ greet of the trip!

With no line!! So the girls posed for the Photopass photog, and I pulled out Danielle’s new Disney Character Junior Encyclopedia for Daisy to christen with her signature …

Vicki and my Mom headed to rope drop and snagged a very nice location in the front row. And a few minutes later, a bunch of Characters came out to start the day, and the kids got hugs and kisses from Mickey, Minnie, Donald, & Co.!!

And then it was off to Soarin!! One of Vicki and my favorites – but (for some unknown reason) Danielle (the roller coaster princess!!) has always been a bit trepidatious about this ride … But we strapped her in and she sat cross-legged on the glider …and my Mom simply loved Soarin!!

Now normally, we would grab Fastpasses for Soarin’ immediately upon exiting … But we were on a tight schedule this day, so we didn’t bother cuz we weren’t planning on riding again (but in hindsight, we should have bothered …)

So we said goodbye to The Land Pavilion …

And headed over to the Living Seas Pavilion for the Finding Nemo ride (one of Danielle’s favorites …)

Followed by some yuks with our chum from down-under: Turtle Talk with Crush …

Danielle spotted Bruce’s Shark Shack (a play area for little kids) and ran around the place for a few minutes … playing with everything she could get her hands on …

But Delani (and Alana?) were already bored 30 seconds after leaving Crush – so they hit the gift shop [this would become the pattern for the day … as soon as the ride was over: “I’m bored” … aaaagh!!].

The plan was to check out the aquarium exhibits (which we had never done) and do something a tad “educational” (since we had pulled the kids out of school …) – but since BOREDOM had set into at least one of the tweenagers, instead we walked over to Test Track … and right onto the ride.

Everyone loved it - except Alana (it hurt her ears for some reason … as you can tell from the picture).

And for our DD Danielle, the ride didn’t end with the “ride” … there were all these cars and trucks to play with afterwards …

And of course, Delani was bored within 15 seconds after riding Test Track… (uurrrggggh!)

So I told her to go soak her head … and the kids hit the misters outside the Test Track pavilion …

At this point, it was rapidly approaching 11:00 am and the World Showcase opening … which is where we’ll go for “Part 2” of the day’s events …

Old 11-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #10
Mojodisney
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to reading more of your report. Glad you are feeling better.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #11
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Great to have you back!

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
princess&her4princes
DIS Veteran

Great update and cute pics!! Your breakfast sounded delish!!! Mmm, chocolate chip pancakes!! The lodge is beautiful, hope to stay there some day!!! Can't beleive the tweenagers were getting bored!! Argh...kids!!! Hope they enjoyed themselves more later on...looking forward to hearing more about it!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojodisney View Post
Looking forward to reading more of your report. Glad you are feeling better.
Thanks!!

It only took a week+ of antibiotics ... and I haven't had to do that in a loooong time ...

Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Great to have you back!
Thanks!

And your siggie just gave me the title for Day 2 - Part 2 (and maybe Part 3, too!!)

Old 11-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
joelp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess&her4princes View Post
Can't beleive the tweenagers were getting bored!! Argh...kids!!! Hope they enjoyed themselves more later on...looking forward to hearing more about it!!!
Actually, it was Delani - the 12-year old - who was "bored" ... but she would also bounce between going totally ga-ga over the Characters (as you can - and will - see from the pictures ...) to being "too cool for the room" ...

And being the oldest, the other two girls would take their cues (to a certain degree) from her ...

Alana was a sweetie the whole trip - just wait until you see what we did in the Magic Kingdom!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: