Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #31
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieDustPrincess05 View Post
I finally made it over to your PTR!!! Wow your plans sound really exciting!!!! I think that is great that you are doing a GG with your family.

We are also sooooooo hoping for free dining- it will determine how many days we go for. So, when we go back, we will be using the QSDP.

Can't wait to hear more.......
I am glad you made it over to my little PTR. We are excited to go--I think the planning is almost as fun as being there! I actually got DH to discuss it some last night--shocking!

I will have to let you know if the GG is great Right now I think it is going to be stressful, but I am trying to keep in mind that I am planning the trip for DD not everyone else.

I am curious about the QSDP--shhh....don't tell DH but I think I want to go back in May and stay at value with QSDP before I begin my PhD program. I am waiting to spring that trip on him after we see how DD does in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post
I really like the idea of the tea party and the golfing morning/lunch that sounds like a great deal of fun!!!
the gifts sound like a great idea too; I really like the bag! I bought one for the little girl I watch for her bday its great!!!
Have a great weekend!
Thanks!! I think the tea party will be such a great time. DD LOVES playing tea party. I like the bags too but DH thinks we should probably drop them. I guess we will wait and see. Those are the things that I can hold off on (unless I get some amazing offer via email from Disney store ). For now, they are in the budget but we can take them out because no one knows about them but us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamping3 View Post
I have read about the tea party and it sounds lovely! I do think the girls get a lot of loot there. I can't wait until Amelia is old enough to do things like that!

The packages for the ears are on Disneyfloral.com. As I said in my PTR everything is a little pricey. I am sure if you called Disney directly you could get them sent to you beforehand and make up your own baskets and then just have the hotel put them in the rooms.
I am looking forward to taking Lilian to the tea party! I will definitely report about it in my TR. I priced out the ears through just the Disney store since you can order them online too. DH is thinking we should ditch those for everyone but the three of us or DD herself. I have not specifically looked at the ears on Disneyfloral but I know they are super expensive from your PTR and just browsing myself. I really want to get balloons delivered for her birthday--but they are pretty expensive.

Just now thinking about it some more, I like the idea of ditching the ears because no one would even wear them while we were down there and probably just toss them aside when they get home. I now like the idea of just holding off and letting DD (and me since I do not have a pair yet ) pick them out the first day since we are planning on hitting up MK our first afternoon/night. It would drop $200 off our budget so I would probably keep the bags (they are relatively inexpensive) with the shirts. What do you all think?

everyone for reading my PTR!! It is nice having people to chat with about our mutual obsession with Disney
September 2010 PTR

Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #32
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

On the hunt for characters

One of the biggest things I am looking forward (among the many ) is having Lilian meet her favorite characters for the first time. She has seen many pictures here on DIS to see that the characters are larger-than-life to a small person such as her. I keep reassuring there is no reason to be afraid of the characters—they will love her. I am planning on trying to pull videos on YouTube but I may not because she is really interested in seeing the pictures from the TRs. (a future DISer in the making). I will be carrying a master list of all characters we are interested in meeting with me in the parks. The plan would be for me to check off when we meet one so I will not have to constantly flip back through the autographs if exhaustion sets in by the end of the week and I cannot remember whom we have met. Here is the working list thus far:

• Princesses (and their Princes if possible)
o Cinderella
o Sleeping Beauty (aka Beauty according to my DD)
o Belle
o Jasmine
o Mulan
o Pocahontas—is she even out anymore?
o Fairy Godmother
o Tiana, as I anticipate she will make an appearance at the parks once her movie is released

Tinkerbelle and the other fairies

• Mickey and the Gang
o Mickey
o Minnie
o Daisy
o Donald
o Goofy
o Pluto
o Professor Von Drake—which I am pretty sure he is not out, but DD does mention him
o Chip and Dale
o Pete

• Playhouse Disney besides MMC
o My Friends Tigger and Pooh
o Pooh
o Darby (and Buster)—DD would flip at the chance to meet her, is she even out?
o Tigger
o Piglet
o Eeyore
o Handy Manny (and tools?)
o Little Einsteins
o Leo
o Annie
o Quincy
o June

• Other characters
o Mary Poppins
o Marie from Aristocats--are any of the others out?
o Sorcerer Mickey—DHs favorite!
o Alice
o Cars characters
o Possibly Woody and Buzz, though she has not seen Toy Story yet
Throughout the trip we will also be on the lookout for Hidden Mickeys. I like to hunt for them as does several of the other adults on the trip. DD will not be looking for them though, but hidden…..Toodles!! She LOVES seeing what we would think of the famous mouse’s head silhouette, but instead calls out look its Toodles!! So we will be on the lookout for Toodles too.

Up Next: Yummy in my Tummy--Eating while at Disney
September 2010 PTR

Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 02:07 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #33
leamom2princesses
DIS Veteran

Hi there! Followed you over from another thread. You've got a great PTR started. Your DD is too cute!

We have 2 princesses and have done BBB 4 times. If you have any questions just let me know. My girls absolutely love it. Unfortunately my oldest is starting to outgrow it. I will still be able to experience it through the little one though. BTW, she turned four on Sept. 26 so our DD's are really close in age.

We've stayed at CBR twice now and enjoyed it both times-what a beautiful resort. We also stayed at POFQ but not POR. Some friends travelling with us stayed at POR and they really liked it if that helps...well it probably didn't...
Past trips: 3/87 Offsite, 3/99 Offsite, 5/03 ASports, 5/06 Offsite, 5/07 CBR, 5/08 POFQ, 5/09 CBR, 5/10 AKL-KV, 7/10 SSR, 10/10 WLV & AKV-Kidani, 11/10 Offsite, 4/11 AKV, 10/11 SSR, 06/12 BCV, 9/12 SoG, 4/13 SoG, 10/13 AULANI!!! 1/14 Swan & Dolphin, 2/14 SoG, 11/14 Fort Wilderness

"Now That's What I'm Talkin' 'Bout!" May 2010 TR
Heading Back To Princess Josie's Castle - May 2010 PTR
Downpours, DIS Meets, & The Dining Plan - May 09 TR
We're Going Back - May 09 PTR
Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #34
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leamom2princesses View Post
Hi there! Followed you over from another thread. You've got a great PTR started. Your DD is too cute!

to my little PTR! Thank you

We have 2 princesses and have done BBB 4 times. If you have any questions just let me know. My girls absolutely love it. Unfortunately my oldest is starting to outgrow it. I will still be able to experience it through the little one though. BTW, she turned four on Sept. 26 so our DD's are really close in age.

I would LOVE to know someone's experience with BBB. Which package have you gotten in the past? We are excited to take our DD down for her first visit. What does your three year old think of it?

We've stayed at CBR twice now and enjoyed it both times-what a beautiful resort. We also stayed at POFQ but not POR. Some friends travelling with us stayed at POR and they really liked it if that helps...well it probably didn't...

I think we will be ok at POR. I still sometimes wish I stuck to my guns and booked us at CBR but that's ok--there is always another trip! We liked POFQ too so hopefully we will feel the same about POR. Secretly, I am wishing for a pin code to upgrade us to WL but I highly doubt that is going to happen! I can always dream though!

I am off to see your PTR though it may not happen until tomorrow!
September 2010 PTR

Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #35
leamom2princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlefours View Post
I think we will be ok at POR. I still sometimes wish I stuck to my guns and booked us at CBR but that's ok--there is always another trip! We liked POFQ too so hopefully we will feel the same about POR. Secretly, I am wishing for a pin code to upgrade us to WL but I highly doubt that is going to happen! I can always dream though!

I am off to see your PTR though it may not happen until tomorrow!
We've done the castle package all four times. Some people bring their own dress and get the hair and make up which would totally be fine also. I loved watching my 3 year old's eyes light up when they opened the fitting room door and her shoes, dress, and wand were lying there. The pictures have always turned out nicely too so to me it's worth the extra $$. We've used the dresses again at princess birthday parties and Halloween so we definitely get our $$ worth out of them. Josie ( my youngest) loved it and is already chatting about doing it again...which we will.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a pin code. I got one last week and have been really excited as we are staying at the Poly (40%). They Poly is my dream resort.
Past trips: 3/87 Offsite, 3/99 Offsite, 5/03 ASports, 5/06 Offsite, 5/07 CBR, 5/08 POFQ, 5/09 CBR, 5/10 AKL-KV, 7/10 SSR, 10/10 WLV & AKV-Kidani, 11/10 Offsite, 4/11 AKV, 10/11 SSR, 06/12 BCV, 9/12 SoG, 4/13 SoG, 10/13 AULANI!!! 1/14 Swan & Dolphin, 2/14 SoG, 11/14 Fort Wilderness

Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #36
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leamom2princesses View Post
We've done the castle package all four times. Some people bring their own dress and get the hair and make up which would totally be fine also. I loved watching my 3 year old's eyes light up when they opened the fitting room door and her shoes, dress, and wand were lying there. The pictures have always turned out nicely too so to me it's worth the extra $$. We've used the dresses again at princess birthday parties and Halloween so we definitely get our $$ worth out of them. Josie ( my youngest) loved it and is already chatting about doing it again...which we will.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a pin code. I got one last week and have been really excited as we are staying at the Poly (40%). They Poly is my dream resort.
Woo-hoo about the pin code!! You give me hope--I will be fine staying at POR but I would LOVE to stay at a deluxe.

We are planning on doing the whole kit and kaboodle with DD. I think it will be really special. She loves playing dress up here at home so it would be used for that and Halloween afterwards.
September 2010 PTR

Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #37
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Yummy in my Tummy--Eating while at Disney (Part 1)

Instead of doing a really long post, I have decided to break this up in three parts, so please stick around for the other parts!

Post name comes from DD—she loves saying yummy in my tummy while rubbing it when she is excited about what she is eating. So cute!

A little background: Our first trip to Disney world was amazing. We were lucky because we ate some of the better restaurants when we went on our first trip. We had a few ho hum meals—nothing to write home about but overall they were great! So needless to say, with our first trip being so great food wise, we have a lot of expectations for this time around too. This, however, was before the advent of the DDP.

I have to say I am excited about the prospects of using the DDP because we can essentially prepay for the bulk of our food so that is good. I am a little weary because I know the ADRs can be hard to come by now with the DDP being so incredibly popular PLUS traditionally, the time period we are going they offer the free DDP making ADRs that much harder to get. However, we will be planning meals with DD in mind. She is not a picky eater overall but she definitely has her favorite foods.

I am also considering the fact that we are a GG and there is a possibility (probably a BIG one) that we will be eating together once a day. I should also mention that everyone is on the DDP. As such, I want to consider buffets because they would allow everyone to appease their palate and appetite hopefully. Am I crazy wrong in thinking this? I also want to do several character meals with DD because the next time we come we may be more inclined to do the QSDP for something different and not be SO dependent on ADRs and specific times to be somewhere to eat.

Favorite foods of the primary cast:

• DD: Pasta, pancakes, eggs, macaroni and cheese, meatloaf muffins, chicken nuggets, fruit--strawberries, apples, bananas, grapes, peaches, pears—she likes them all, roast, chicken, mashed potatoes and breadsticks with dipping sauce. She likes pizza too but it depends on what kind and if we order out, where we order it. She also LOVES sweets—ice cream, cake (mainly the frosting though it depends on the cake), cool whip, pudding and chocolate. We will eat a sweet treat maybe once a week so eating out with dessert included on the DDP will definitely be a BIG treat for her.

• DH: Seafood, steak, waffles, chinese and subs. He likes sweets but mainly pie and cake are his favorite though he has never been known to turn down fresh cookies either!

• Me: Chicken, salads, pasta but my absolute favorites are soups and stews. Yummy! My favorite sweets: cheesecake and Tiramisu. Overall I am not a huge sweet eater but I do like them occasionally (what girl doesn’t?).

The next part will give the listing of the Character Meals and TS restaurants we are looking at wanting to get ADRs at while at Disney.
September 2010 PTR

Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:11 PM   #38
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Yummy in my Tummy--Eating while at Disney (Part 2)

With all that build up, without further ado, here is the tentative list we are considering:

Character Meals:

*Crystal Palace (I really like the idea of trying for a before-the-park-opens breakfast ADR so we can almost empty Main Street shots.

*Tusker House
has crept up on my radar after reading several TRs’ glowing review, specifically Donald’s Safari Breakfast.

*Akershus
--breakfast with the princesses, DD will be in heaven!

*1900 Park Fare--dinner on DD’s birthday in which we will have a cake delivered there for us all to enjoy. [dancing icon] I definitely want everyone to come to this since it is her official birthday dinner of the trip.

*Hollywood and Vine, the Play N Dine seems like it would be a good choice. I am thinking an early lunch for this place.

**All the above are new places for us. I think our first trip we ate at LTT and it was a character meal still then—but I do not really remember interacting with the characters during it.**

TS Meals:

*Coral Reef—DH’s request b/ we love it the first go around.

*Rose N Crown another favorite from our first trip. We are thinking perhaps to consider the pub for lunch since it is a CS.

*Le Cellier:
side note is my dad loves steak so we thought we would really appreciate this place. We have been here before.

*Tony’s
because we might need another TS at MK. We have not eaten here.

*Liberty Tree Tavern
again, mainly because we might need another TS in MK.

*Tutto Italia: we are intrigued by this new restaurant.

Obviously we have WAY too many choices for TS restaurants. How many character meals should we do too? This trip is for DD so this one time I am willing to go a bit crazy on character meals. Who knows, if we do try many of them perhaps we will find a favorite one in which we could do on future trips. However, I do not want to go crazy during the process.

Up Next: Part three, CS and Snacks along with questions/criticisms/concerns.
September 2010 PTR

Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #39
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Yummy in my Tummy--Eating while at Disney (Part 3)

So we move onto CS and Snacks in part three:

CS Meals:

*Pizzafari or Pizza Planet—which one is better?

*Flame Tree BBQ, though I am not a big BBQ fan.

*Earl of Sandwich I hear this place is great!

*Backlot Express

*Sunshine Season, I believe we ate here last time but I think they have redesigned it since.

Snacks:

*Goofy’s Candy Company—I hear the fudge is fabulous!!

*Mickey Head Ice Cream Sandwiches, I believe these are available all over the place?

*Main Street Bakery

*Boulangerie Patisserie, yummy treats and croissants (need I say more?)

*Dole Whips, where do we get them and are they really that good?

I would love feedback/suggestions/criticisms over all these places. Is there someplace on the list that you would definitely NOT eat at? What CS do you just love and have to eat at when you go to Disney? Lastly, snacks—what do you like?

Last time, we always went to EP for meals because we did not mind hopping around. I am not so sure I want to do this time. In fact, we are considering dropping park hoppers off our tickets because we are not sure we will use them but we will not be making that decision until closer to leaving.

Up Next: SHOPPING!!! It helps to spread out the cost.
September 2010 PTR

Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #40
Lamping3
Mouseketeer

I am no help yet....we didn't eat anywhere fancy on our last trip. But wait until I come back in December and I will have loads of info for you!!!!

I agree Buffets seem to be the best bet...then you will have loads for everyone to choose from.

I have also heard that Boma at AKL is great....we plan on doing a breakfast but they say dinner is good too. That way you get to see the great splendor of the lodge!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #41
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamping3 View Post
I am no help yet....we didn't eat anywhere fancy on our last trip. But wait until I come back in December and I will have loads of info for you!!!!

I agree Buffets seem to be the best bet...then you will have loads for everyone to choose from.

I have also heard that Boma at AKL is great....we plan on doing a breakfast but they say dinner is good too. That way you get to see the great splendor of the lodge!!!
BTW--the pictures of your daughter in your signature are too cute!! She makes an adorable Tinkerbell.

I will definitely be watching out for your TR to see what you think overall, how DD does and what you think of the food.

I would love to visit other resorts but I do not think it is going to work this time around unfortunately. Other than GF because of wanting to do dinner there on DD's birthday I do not think I will convince the others to take a side trip to another resort. Unless at night...
September 2010 PTR

Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #42
leamom2princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
With all that build up, without further ado, here is the tentative list we are considering:

Character Meals:

*Crystal Palace (I really like the idea of trying for a before-the-park-opens breakfast ADR so we can almost empty Main Street shots. We loved our breakfast at CP. Characters weren't rushed and the food was good.
:
*Tusker House
has crept up on my radar after reading several TRs’ glowing review, specifically Donald’s Safari Breakfast. Can't help with this one.
*Akershus
--breakfast with the princesses, DD will be in heaven! Princess interaction was really rushed here both times we went. Breakfast is much better than lunch IMO. We had trouble finding something really good on the lunch menu but really enjoyed our breakfast.
*1900 Park Fare--dinner on DD’s birthday in which we will have a cake delivered there for us all to enjoy. [dancing icon] I definitely want everyone to come to this since it is her official birthday dinner of the trip. We loved this in May 09. The characters (especially the step-sisters) were outstanding.
*Hollywood and Vine, the Play N Dine seems like it would be a good choice. I am thinking an early lunch for this place. Can't help on this one either.
**All the above are new places for us. I think our first trip we ate at LTT and it was a character meal still then—but I do not really remember interacting with the characters during it.**

TS Meals:

*Coral Reef—DH’s request b/ we love it the first go around.
*Rose N Crown another favorite from our first trip. We are thinking perhaps to consider the pub for lunch since it is a CS.

*Le Cellier:
side note is my dad loves steak so we thought we would really appreciate this place. We have been here before.
*Tony’s
because we might need another TS at MK. We have not eaten here.

*Liberty Tree Tavern
again, mainly because we might need another TS in MK. We enjoyed our meal at LTT in May 08. It was character dining then but the food was good and service was awesome.
*Tutto Italia: we are intrigued by this new restaurant. Me too! It's definitely on our list.
Obviously we have WAY too many choices for TS restaurants. How many character meals should we do too? This trip is for DD so this one time I am willing to go a bit crazy on character meals. Who knows, if we do try many of them perhaps we will find a favorite one in which we could do on future trips. However, I do not want to go crazy during the process.

Up Next: Part three, CS and Snacks along with questions/criticisms/concerns.
We enjoy character meals. The sacrifice is that the food isn't the greatest and there is much more noise at the character meals. After a long day in the parks a nice quiet, cool restaurant can be just what the doctor ordered. I say go for as many as you think you and DD can tolerate. If she gets over-stimulated easy 4 or 5 may be too much.
My girls would prefer character meals for every meal but it's vacation for Mom and Dad too so we do two or three. If you do breakfast do try to get in before the park opens. Some of our best shots were taken before opening. It's so beautiful without 4000 people in the background.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #43
leamom2princesses
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So we move onto CS and Snacks in part three:

CS Meals:

*Pizzafari or Pizza Planet—which one is better? Pizza Planet is crazy crowded and hard to find tables at most of the time so my vote is for Pizzafari.
*Flame Tree BBQ, though I am not a big BBQ fan.

*Earl of Sandwich I hear this place is great! This place is great!

*Backlot Express Food here is okay but it's really hard in DHS to find good quick service food.
*Sunshine Season, I believe we ate here last time but I think they have redesigned it since. We ate here in May and it was probably the best CS meal we had. Everything was fresh and delicious.
Snacks:

*Goofy’s Candy Company—I hear the fudge is fabulous!! This place is a great place to use some Snack credits. My girls love it and everything is really tasty.
*Mickey Head Ice Cream Sandwiches, I believe these are available all over the place? You betcha! If DD drops hers on accident be sure to tell the CM. They will replace it at no charge. A CM saw my little one drop hers at DHS in May and she told us this little tip. In hot weather they melt really fast. You have to have just one though.

*Main Street Bakery Great use of snack credits as well. The cinnamon rolls are to die for and make for a great breakfast.
*Boulangerie Patisserie, yummy treats and croissants (need I say more?)

*Dole Whips, where do we get them and are they really that good? You can get them at Aloha Isle in Adventureland within MK. I haven't tried one yet but they look really, really good. I was late to the Dole Whip meet I signed up for in May.

I would love feedback/suggestions/criticisms over all these places. Is there someplace on the list that you would definitely NOT eat at? What CS do you just love and have to eat at when you go to Disney? Lastly, snacks—what do you like? Our favorite CS MK-Pecos Bill's, AK-Pizzafari, EPCOT-Sunshine Seasons, DHS-Backlot (although out of these my least favorite). We usually have lots of snack credits left for some reason. I usually stock up on Mickey Rice Krispy treats. I bring them home to friends as souvies. My favorite snack consumed on property was cookies from Goofy's last trip.
Last time, we always went to EP for meals because we did not mind hopping around. I am not so sure I want to do this time. In fact, we are considering dropping park hoppers off our tickets because we are not sure we will use them but we will not be making that decision until closer to leaving.

Up Next: SHOPPING!!! It helps to spread out the cost.
Hope that helps...

Old 10-30-2009, 02:38 PM   #44
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Why did it take me so long to realize you have a PTR???

"What's in Disney, do they have rides?" She's in for quite an awakening!

I'm glad you're thinking about Tusker House. It's so much fun and the food is really good. Try to get an ADR on the earlier side though because otherwise, it gets very crowded.

Dole Whips are PHENOMENAL! You can get them in Adventureland, near POTC. Get the float. It's pineapple juice with your choice of the dole whip (pineapple, vanilla, or orange ice cream) on top. So good!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #45
Charlefours
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Why did it take me so long to realize you have a PTR???

"What's in Disney, do they have rides?" She's in for quite an awakening!

I'm glad you're thinking about Tusker House. It's so much fun and the food is really good. Try to get an ADR on the earlier side though because otherwise, it gets very crowded.

Dole Whips are PHENOMENAL! You can get them in Adventureland, near POTC. Get the float. It's pineapple juice with your choice of the dole whip (pineapple, vanilla, or orange ice cream) on top. So good!
to my PTR!! I am so happy you decided to take a venture over to here. MIL, she will be shocked to realize what Disney is all about. I just hope she is not so jaded she misses the magic too!

TH--I am hoping we can get this for a before Animal Kingdom opens up ADR. Or as early as possible so we can get in without too much waiting!!

Dole Whips--I will DH know about them. He would love them I think.
September 2010 PTR

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: