Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

First ever trip report - Sept 2009 - Tues 22nd (11/11)

Hey there, well this will be my first trip report (hence the bad title) - hopefully I’ll keep it entertaining and interesting

We went to WDW with our 2 friends from 20th – 30th Sept 2009. It’s taken me a while to get all our pics re-named and moved onto Flickr after getting the Photopass CD last week. I could really do with copies of pics our friends took but I’ll add them if I get the chance.

So intros first – my name is Becx (Rebecca, Becky or any other connotation as long as you don’t call me Rachel ) I’m (only just) 29, life long Disney fan but only able to go to WDW as an adult. My Dad would just never take us to America let alone Disney – I’m guessing the cost was a factor but also his idea of a family holiday would be museums, sight seeing etc. Which I’m happy with but would have preferred WDW . I first went to DLRP in 2000 with my Mum who took me for my Birthday After meeting my DH I persuaded him to take a trip to DLRP too. Before that he didn’t really understand all that Disney encompassed and was pleasantly surprised – I’ll refer to myself in the first person.

DH – Gavin or Gav as I prefer! As I said he found his love for Disney at DLRP and after a trip to WDW he was hooked! –I’ll call him DH or Gav.

We were also with our friends Aaron and Charlotte who had been to DLRP with us too, in March 2008. They pretty much left the planning to us but wanted to see and do as much as possible in a 10 night trip. They had also agreed upon a few places to eat when we'd told them about the restaurants –I’ll call them A&C collectively or A and C separately!

Here we all are

We are DVC so we booked 11 months out at SSR resort, hoping to get 2 studio’s at BCV at 7 months out – which we did

We flew with Virgin Atlantic, having used them for all our trips to the US.

We decided on these restaurants:
Tokyo Dining - dinner
Kouzinna - dinner
Sanaa - dinner
1900 Park Fare - breakfast
Garden View - afternoon tea
Raglan Road - dinner
Boma - dinner
IHOP - breakfast
Cheesecake Factory - lunch
Pecos Bill - lunch
AK picnic - lunch
Studio Catering Co. - lunch
Bar at 50' Primetime - dinner
Beaches and Cream - lunch

I also tried to plan the park days without a need for the hopper option, DH and I have AP’s but our friends didn’t so we were trying to save them a bit of money. Luckily with 10 days and only 4 parks this wasn’t too tricky but we did have to make some compromises and we had some changes of plan but I don’t think we missed out on anything.

We were travelling to the airport with A&C and it made sense to stay the night before (Sat 19th) at their house so A’s Dad could pick us all up together – he is a taxi driver and was happy to take us and pick us up from the airport. Geezer.
We got there in the evening and got chinese take-out for dinner – the vacation had begun!

Day 1 part 1

Day 1 part 2

Day 1 part 3

Day 1 part 4

Day 2 part 1

Day 2 part 2

Day 2 part 3

Day 2 part 4

Day 2 part 5

Day 3 part 1
DLP Santa Fe - Oct 2000 *DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *Swan and DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *WDW Saratoga Springs/Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village/Bay Lake Towers and DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010* WDW Old Key West - Dec 2011

Last edited by Becx N Gav; 11-11-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
Gav N Becx
DIS Veteran

Exclamation

As you can probably imagine we had a few hiccups and plan changes along the way. I long for a holiday that is straightforward start to end!
However, I won't spoil it. I'll let Becx fill y'all in on the details!
We had a great time overall.
DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav N Becx View Post
As you can probably imagine we had a few hiccups and plan changes along the way. I long for a holiday that is straightforward start to end!
However, I won't spoil it. I'll let Becx fill y'all in on the details!
We had a great time overall.
It really wasn't too bad, as I said we did most of what we planned to do. The problem was A&C weren't very well prepared for the heat and amount of walking - despite the advice before we left. They told us when we got there (not the night before when they were still packing) that they mainly brought jeans with them
DLP Santa Fe - Oct 2000 *DLP New York Hotel - Jan 2004 *WDW Grand Floridian/Beach Club - Sept 2005 *WDW Beach Club - Oct 2006 *DFTW WDW Wilderness Lodge Villas/Boardwalk Inn - Oct 2007 *DLP Sequoia Lodge - March 2008 *WDW Saratoga Springs - Dec 2008 *Swan and DCL Podcast cruise - May 2009 *WDW Beach Club Villas - Sept 2009 *DCL 11 night Med cruise - April 2010 *WDW Saratoga Springs/Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village/Bay Lake Towers and DCL Podcast cruise 2 - Dec 2010* WDW Old Key West - Dec 2011
Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM   #4
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

I'm here! Didn't you have a PTR for last December? I remember we were going to be there around the same time.

Can't wait to hear about your trip!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 AM   #5
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
I'm here! Didn't you have a PTR for last December? I remember we were going to be there around the same time.

Can't wait to hear about your trip!
Hey there yes we did go last Dec I just didn't get around to doing a trip report but I'm determined to keep this one going
Will add more tonight

Thanks for joining
Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Sunday 20th

Sunday 20th September

On the itinerary I had for today:
Flight VS015 12.45 - 16.55
Pick up hire car
Check in BC Villas
Dinner - in/near BC

Our plan was to leave at 7.30am with a (hopefully) 2 hour drive to Gatwick – possible on a Sunday . We were all up and about but A&C still had a few last minute bits to pack. A made us all sausage sarnies which kept us going until we got to Gatwick. A’s Dad was also there on time but A&C were still getting things together. We had 2 suitcases ourselves...

Our suitcases had 2 more bags inside that we were planning to use coming home. A&C had 3, but with hand luggage and 4 bodies it was a bit of a squeeze (no boot/trunk in the taxi), but we managed it and didn’t really care as we were on our way!
Here’s us squished in like sardines but happy!

We got to Gatwick after about 2 hours on the road which was great as we slowed down for a few miles near the road works
First stop inside the airport was dropping off our bags as we had checked in online the day before.
Next up I wanted a Krispy Kreme doughnut or 6 as I knew they had a store before you went through security. I walked up to the end of the area but no Krispy Kreme Oh no I walked around the end of the stores to check the other side but no sign – I was very disappointed as I was really looking forward to an unhealthy snack for the plane
Oh well, no point in hanging around here so we went through to the security area, because we flew PE (Premium Economy) they gave us ‘fast passes’ to get through the security line
Unfortunately this was only the bit before you enter the room with all the x-ray machines and the line was about as far back as it could get, oh well – maybe in future we’ll be able to skip a few people at least
We all got through ok and were getting hungry again, it was about 10.30 at this point so we went to Bridges Bar to get breakfast.
I had the pancakes – trying to adjust to American foods – but they were pretty gross, dry and they had already poured over the syrup (don’t think it was maple) whereas I like to dip my pancakes in and control how much I have, plus I love those little jugs you get!

Gav went for Eggs Benedict which I think he enjoyed

The bar was ok but we were there at the end of the breakfast service as they were changing over for lunch – a couple of minutes after we got our food a waitress came over and just snatched up the brekkie menus – she didn’t even say excuse me or ask for us to pass them

DH and I wanted to get some duty free perfume/after shave and I wanted a sandwich for the plane as I don’t like the food much (also as I don’t eat fish and mushrooms I sometimes don’t have a choice of anything – I do like the other bits you get though )
I got one of the new Dolce & Gabbana The D&G Fragrance Anthology – number 3 which has notes of watermelon, kiwi, pink cyclamen and musk. DH got a Joop one.

Once we met back up with A&C we headed over to Shake A Hula

and I got a Double Decker (http://www.chocablog.com/reviews/cadbury-double-decker/) milkshake with a Flake (http://www.chocablog.com/reviews/cadbury-flake/) in it – yum me!
Making my shake

Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

They had announced our gate by this point – for some reason (and I’m sure someone may know why) Gatwick don’t tell you which gate you will be going to when you check in At least not for Virgin flights. I slurped on the long walk there, which wasn’t so bad as there are a few travelators on the way.
This is my attempt at a self portrait with my shake

We joined the long queue and then I spotted a sign which said Upper Class and PE passengers – with no one waiting woo hoo So we scooted over and they checked our passports and boarding cards (they do this as you enter the gate area rather than as you are boarding the plane, saves a bit of time ).
There is then another bag check and lucky me got called over (I had far more stuff than DH and it was packed in very tightly) – the poor guy started looking through my bag of bags – I had the camcorder in my camera bag and a few bits in a make up bag, I was also carrying all our purchases. Then I got patted down, meanwhile the guy was still searching my bag and having trouble getting it all back in so I asked if he wanted me to put it in
Everyone else was waiting for me and it was pretty crowded in there so we just stood up but it wasn’t long before we started boarding and we were in the second group – We got inside the plane and headed upstairs – I love it up there in the bubble
Our seats were at the back on the left and A&C were across the aisle. They brought around the pre flight drinks but I was still full after my milkshake It didn’t take long to board everyone and we started taxiing – Orlando here we come
On Virgin instead of the stewards/esses doing the safety demo there is a video which plays in the seat back TV’s but none of these were working and no one said anything You could still hear it but no picture – I was glad we’d already seen it.
They had a good selection of films on the in flight entertainment (IFE) I started by watching Terminator but about an hour in the system was reset as some people’s TV’s were not working so it went back to the menu screen Then the food came around, as I got a sandwich earlier I asked for the tray without the hot option, good thing too as they had run out of chicken which is what I would have gone for! DH didn’t get anything. I didn’t eat the salad it looked a bit limp The white bun was really dry but the butter helped, the other things I ate were very nice though especially the Gu dessert.

(notice the real cutlery )

I read a bit of my book and played my DS, I tried to sleep but I can never get comfy enough in those seats (I’m not good at sleeping in different beds either – it takes me a few nights to get used to it). DH was watching Star Trek on the second cycle but the IFE again reset meaning he lost an hour before it came back on
When the next cycle came I started watching another film – New Town Killers which was just about keeping my interest when the IFE went off again Not amused. I had been given a questionnaire so I decided to fill that in, I made sure I left comments about the IFE
Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #8
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Here are a few pics I took along the way, this one was of the Atlantic just after we’d passed over Ireland,

I think this was over Boston (according to the map they show)

and this one was somewhere over Virginia!

We landed safely and it wasn’t long until we got to the gate and were allowed off The first thing you notice is the strength of the sunshine, considering we didn’t get much sun over the summer it felt really good. The next is the air-con which I like in moderation but DH loves it.
We got to immigration and as we were almost first off the plane we only waited a few minutes until we got called to a desk. The guy was very nice and it didn’t take too long.
We waited at the carousel and a lot of people were taking pics and using their cell phones The police/security were onto them very quickly, unfortunately I don’t think C noticed and proceeded to switch her phone on! I was just about to say something but one of the officials noticed and told her to put it off We were standing on the left of the carousel and the guy catching the bags told us they would be traveling to the right so we quickly moved around. It didn’t take long to get our bags and we got to the monorail, first ride of the vacation
Old 10-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Hi Becx! Yay - your first trip report! You've made a great start - I'm loving it and will be looking forward to reading lots more!
Old 11-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycute View Post
Hi Becx! Yay - your first trip report! You've made a great start - I'm loving it and will be looking forward to reading lots more!
Hi ya Sue! There will be more - I've written quite a lot but I was having a lot of trouble getting the link to work for my photos - think I've got it sussed now

Thanks for stopping by
Old 11-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #11
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

We headed down to the rental desks, we had gone through Budget with a code DH found for a free upgrade if you paid using a visa credit card (mine). However when we got there the Budget guy told us there were no cars in the class above the one we booked! Typical. Also the driver had to be the one paying by credit card so I couldn’t use mine. Luckily DH had brought along one of his in case of an emergency. The agent did offer us an upgrade for a bit more each day and we decided to go for it (as we needed a large enough car for all our bags – each way as well!).
We got a Jeep Laredo. If we do decide to rent a car again we would go for the right size at the time of booking, saves all the hassle. I thought the guy behind the counter was a little bit rude and not very helpful. When he told us we could not get the free upgrade, he didn’t offer us anything else at first even when we explained we needed plenty of room for all our bags
We got all our stuff in the car and headed out of the airport, which we found pretty easy and were soon at WDW.
This is the first time I’ve been able to take this picture as we’ve either been on ME or in a town car during previous visits (sorry it's a bit dark)

We thought the Beach Club was easy to find - we were getting our stuff out of the car before we knew it The CM outside greeted DH by name which we thought was a little strange but realized the front gate must have radio'd ahead He took us around to the check in desk and despite us having checked in online we went to the regular desk, it was nice and quick and we were given room 440 (I requested a room not on the ground floor and that we got 2 studios near each other) but it took a little longer for A&C to get their room assignment as they were trying to find one close to ours. In the end they got 475 which was ok – they just had a bit further to walk than us.

The room was lovely, I especially loved the bed spread! (shame it wouldn’t fit in any of our bags – joking)
Here are a few pics

We quickly got changed and we had decided on heading to Epcot for a spot of dinner as it meant A&C could pick up their park tickets too. We took a slow walk around to China and ate in the Lotus Blossom which DH and I had tried last December. I got pot stickers as I wasn’t very hungry – I’d been snacking all through the plane ride and DH got egg rolls and shrimp fried rice plus a beer

As we were finishing dinner, Illuminations was starting so we walked and watched (we didn’t want A&C seeing them too much as we had the Illuminations boat cruise planned for the next night ) We wanted to get a drink in the new tequila bar Cava de Tequila but the Mexico pavilion was already roped off.
We headed back to the International Gateway (I love how close the BC is to that exit) trying to beat the end of Illuminations as I knew we’d be fighting the crowds (which weren’t too bad ).
When we got back to the room we unpacked a little and went to bed (at about 3.30am our time )
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #12
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Beach Club looks lovely - can't wait to stay there someday! Shame about the rude guy at Budget
I'm going to send Kate the link to your report - she's at Uni but I know she'd love to read it!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 AM   #13
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycute View Post
Beach Club looks lovely - can't wait to stay there someday! Shame about the rude guy at Budget
I'm going to send Kate the link to your report - she's at Uni but I know she'd love to read it!
We love the Beach Club, probably our favourite resort that we've stayed at - although for me WL is a close second

Yey it'll be great to get some more posters it looks like a few people have read it but you're only my second poster - apart from DH who doesn't count

I do need to update it a bit more regularly though, just don't seem to have much free time at the moment and with Christmas round the corner it's gonna be even harder

Thanks for dropping in

Last edited by Becx N Gav; 11-04-2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #14
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Hi! I'm really enjoying your report so far!

Denise

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

Old 11-04-2009, 05:54 AM   #15
Becx N Gav

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisehisname View Post
Hi! I'm really enjoying your report so far!

Denise
Hi Denise thanks for joining in I think I'm just getting a bit paranoid, when I read other TR's (admittedly they're usually the ones posted by 'famous' TR writers) I see their first post and then at least a page of people joining in I'm sure mine will be more like a snowball - starts small then gets bigger (then I'll be annoyed that I have to reply to soooooo many posts I guess you can't win )

I'm actually writing our first proper day up now but will post when I get home tonight as I have to check my notes and add in lots of pics.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: