Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
aprhj
Second to the right and straight on til morning

DSi vs. Leap Frog DiDj for 6 year old

I'm torn between a DSi and a DiDj for Christmas and now will the Dell deal on the DSi I am really confused. My son, will be 6 by Christmas, currently has a Leapster 2 that he plays in the car mostly and many of the games that he plays at level 1 or 2. He has asked for both the DSi and the DiDj, mainly the DiDj based on the fact that I have made comments about wanting him to have something that has a learning aspect to it. I know many of his friends have a DS of some sort and that he enjoys playing them, but I still lean to the learning aspects of the Leap Frog products. He does enjoy his leapster and I feel he has learned quite a bit from it, but should I get him what I want him to have(DiDj) or what he really wants(DS)?

I worry that once he gets the DS that the leapster will set and gather dust. I also have the DiDj in the closet, purchased on clearance with a coupon for either $10 or $15 earlier this year, but I can ebay it and at least get my $ back.

1981- 1 day at MK
1988- 1 day at MK & 1 at EPCOT
1991- 1 day at MK
1998- Port Orleans then, POFQ now
2008- AKL
2009- POFQ
2012- split Value resort then AKL, I'm planning and hubby will agree by then- hubby agrees we are going!!!!!!
2013- split-1 week off site, 1 week WL CL
aprhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
DebMcDonald
DIS Veteran

My DD turned 6 in August and we got her the DS for her birthday and she plays it very well, the leapster on the other hand is currently gathering dust and she has not played with it very much since getting her DS, of course both her sisters have the DS. I like the fact that the Leapster is more of a learning tool, but the DS is just so much more popular.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
FLAngie
DIS Veteran

My DD6 & DD8 have the Didj and love them. They mostly play them in the car and while waiting for the other one to finish dance lessons. I love that they are educational, but they only ask the math questions or spelling once in a while. IMO the leapster is much more educational while the Didj seems like a step between the leapster and the DSi...games with a little educational learning thrown in. Once they did get their Didj's they do not play with their Leapsters anymore.

DD8 is asking for a DSi this Christmas too, but I think that it is only since most of her friends are getting or have one now.

I would suggest that you give your son the Didj and see how he likes it. For the price you paid it would be worth the try and if he seems to outgrow it too fast or doesn't like it, you could always get him the DSi later.

DH DD12 DD10

Offical Member of the LMT Losers' Club... Uu
FLAngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
princessmom29
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I would get the DS. He is not gonig to play with the DIJI in a year or 2 anyway b/c it is not "cool". It is just the reality of the situation. There are educational games for the DS, and I owuld balance those with "for fun" games and let him have what his friends have.
princessmom29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #5
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

My son turned 6 in August - he loved his leapfrog but had asked for the DS forever. I got him a DS not DSi.

He is at the age where most of the kids will have a DS so the desire for one is only going to get greater. I tried to buy more leapfrog games to avoid a DS and although he loved them what he really wanted was a DS.

I use the computer for educational activities now - he thinks it is a treat to use the computer and I can target what I want him to learn.

IMO - once the are in school - it is nice to have a game they can play that is just fun. He will be learning what he needs to be learning at school.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #6
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprhj View Post
but should I get him what I want him to have(DiDj) or what he really wants(DS)?
That is the crux of it!!! I think you should get the DS, especially if you think you will get one anyway in the next year or two...why invest $$$ in Didj games for such a short time? We loved the Leapsters and the games...but after kids are in school all day, and managing homework, extracurricular activities, etc., I think it is okay to give them some down time with games that are just fun.

Also, if you get them exactly what they want, I think it goes a long way to support Santa, which I think is so magical. Let him be super impressed with Santa!

I am struggling with this too....my dd wants an American Girl doll, and her first choice is not mine.....but the doll isn't for me!!!!

Perditamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
DisneyMommy1022
DIS Veteran

Just my thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perditamarie View Post
I am struggling with this too....my dd wants an American Girl doll, and her first choice is not mine.....but the doll isn't for me!!!!
IMO about the American Girl doll, Yes it is a lot of money but my DD(8) will only play with this doll now because it is a "big girl doll". She is very into the tech items her Christmas list (yes I know) consists of a computer, desk, ipod, new American girl stuff, DSi games, Wii games and that is about it! She thinks all the toys are for babies! I have talked with DH about this and for us we would rather spend the money on items that will last for a long time such as a computer and ipod then a bunch of toys that she will not play with. Our school system has the kids on computers all day and she is in 3rd grade. In fact at out start of school meeting with the teacher we were told that the kids will no longer have spelling test because they use computers for all reports and test taking and the kids are taught to use the spell check button. I am not a big fan of this but times are changing all the time and I want her to have the resources that she need at her finger tips. I to would go with the DSi because if you kids are like mine they will play with the leapster for a few days, weeks, months and then be board with it and still want the DSi.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
aprhj

I knew I could count on my budget board, I posted it in the family section also, but no replies. I am now leaning toward the DSi, but would appreciate more thoughts and comments.

thanks again!

1981- 1 day at MK
1991- 1 day at MK
2008- AKL
2009- POFQ
2012- split Value resort then AKL, I'm planning and hubby will agree by then- hubby agrees we are going!!!!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
DVCBELLE
Princess at Heart

Quote:
I knew I could count on my budget board, I posted it in the family section also, but no replies. I am now leaning toward the DSi, but would appreciate more thoughts and comments.

thanks again!
Why don't you get the DS instead of the DSi?

I looked at the two for my kids and I don't think it is worth the extra money for a 6 year old. The biggest differences are a camera, internet access and built in music player.

The new games are still coming out in the DS version since it is still on the market.

I would think your son is 3-4 years away from where he would need any of these features and by then a new version will be out that he will want anyway.

I found this article comparing the two:
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/200...comparison.htm
Old 10-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #10
LUV DA MOUSE
Luv Da Mouse and Da Bears!!!!

I say get the Dsi for him and try to order from Dell, it's a great deal. I think that in the long run it's a better investment. If you get the other system he is still going to want the DS/DSi.
Planning a new trip.....cuz I need to see Da Mouse!!
LUV DA MOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
aprhj

just ordered a dsi from Dell, $129.99 + tax. Could not pass that up since I decided to go the Ds route. Had looked at the DS Lite when I started trying to make the decision between the two, but when the Dsi at Dell was the same as the Ds lite, could not resist. He will love taking pictures and editing them, he already does on his kid friendly digital camera.

thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!!!!!

Now to find some deals on a few games and Christmas for him is pretty much done.

thanks again

1981- 1 day at MK
1991- 1 day at MK
2008- AKL
2009- POFQ
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
LUV DA MOUSE
Luv Da Mouse and Da Bears!!!!

Quote:
just ordered a dsi from Dell, $129.99 + tax. Could not pass that up since I decided to go the Ds route. Had looked at the DS Lite when I started trying to make the decision between the two, but when the Dsi at Dell was the same as the Ds lite, could not resist. He will love taking pictures and editing them, he already does on his kid friendly digital camera.

thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!!!!!

Now to find some deals on a few games and Christmas for him is pretty much done.

thanks again
Keep an eye on the TRU/Target/Walmart sale ads...they had some $4.99 games & $9.99 games last year.
Planning a new trip.....cuz I need to see Da Mouse!!
LUV DA MOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
allyphoe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
He has asked for both the DSi and the DiDj, mainly the DiDj based on the fact that I have made comments about wanting him to have something that has a learning aspect to it.
Another vote for getting educational games for the DS. DD6 loves Big Brain Academy and Left Brain Right Brain. I'm thinking about getting her Personal Trainer Math - her teacher has suggested math facts flashcards, but she'll play the DS a lot longer (and through more frustration) than she will for flashcards.

She's a good reader, but I do think that the (non-educational) DS games she has require enough reading that they're improving her reading speed and stamina.
allyphoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
Vacation Lover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I also have the DiDj in the closet, purchased on clearance with a coupon for either $10 or $15 earlier this year, but I can ebay it and at least get my $ back.
I think that, because you already have the DiDj in your closet, you should go ahead and give that to him. You got such a great price on it that it won't be a big deal to turn around and get him the DSi next year.

That said, I just bought the DSi for my almost-5 year old on the great Dell deal. That's because her 9 and 11 year old siblings are getting one and I know she'll want one too. However, if I already had the Didj in my closet like you do, I probably wouldn't have bought the DSi.

November, 2013...Windsor Hills
January, 2010...Windsor Hills
September, 2007...Caribbean Beach Resort
November, 2006...Sheraton Safari
Vacation Lover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: