Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #676
wezee
Am I cheating on my husband, if I have dreams about Mickey Mouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Haven't you heard? The demographics are changing! People are getting older and want to be back in their rooms at 10pm now. (quote from Lee Cockrell on the DIS podcast cruise btw)

All those people spending money in a bad economy...that's just the wrong element that we don't want here at Downtown Disney. We prefer cheesy dance parties, empty buildings, and an increase in prices across the board to keep that wrong element away.
Whoa wait a minute...DH and I are 50+ yrs old and definantly do not want to be back in our room by 10:00pm. How do I get ahold of this Lee Cockrell guy and tell him he is nuts????

Next Magical Moment: Sept. 2013
March 1995 Off site, Feb 2000 POFQ, March 2006 POFQ (25th Anniv.)March 2007 POFQ, Oct. 2007 POFQ, Sept. 2008 POFQ, Oct. 2009 POFQ, March 2010 POFQ,Sept 2010 POFQ, Feb 2011 POFQ, Oct. 2011 POFQ (30th Anniv.)., POFQ Sept 2012,
wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #677
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Lee retired a few years ago. Although he has always been well respected.
Just a shame he can be so wrong. Just sounds like a spin excuse to me.
DH and I are 50+ and no PI keeps us from not staying on site as often as we use to because there really isn't much to do with Disney after dark that is unique. I mean, we love Disney. But we can go to parks during the day. And I know we are not the only ones who feel the same.
But they made their decision, and it saves me a lot of $.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #678
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

According to Disney advertising, there is tons of nightlife at Downtown Disney:

* Cirque (at just $70 per person)
* Cigar Bar (smoke 'em if you got 'em)
* Dance an Irish jig at Raglan Road (always high on the list)
* A little Salsa at Bongos (ok, this might be decent)

So who needs Pleasure Island when you got these kind of options!

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #679
ConcKahuna
Corn was on sale, 10 ears for $3, of course it was cheaper at The Root Of All Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGBOBOFTHENORTH View Post
According to Disney advertising, there is tons of nightlife at Downtown Disney:

* Cirque (at just $70 per person)
* Cigar Bar (smoke 'em if you got 'em)
* Dance an Irish jig at Raglan Road (always high on the list)
* A little Salsa at Bongos (ok, this might be decent)

So who needs Pleasure Island when you got these kind of options!

BobK/Orlando
Bongo's can be decent some nights, but unfortunatly the only real nightlife at DTD any more is House of Blues
ConcKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #680
Kelly B Disney
passholder for life!

BORED at night now...

I am sooo disappointed at what downtown disney has become...which is totally outdated and lame except for the restaurants. Marketplace is of course better for shopping but still no adult nightlife there. My favorite place ever was Pleasure Island. I love Disney and my kids but love to go out and dance and have adult fun at night on vacation! I went down there on every disney trip to dance (used the baby sitting services or the kids clubs on property)! Pleasure Island with the band, the dj's , the clubs and the New years eve show... was a great part of my Disney trips. I Even brought my teens when they got older and had a blast at 8 trax dancing !

I was at Disney in June, July and Aug this summer and am going next weekend. There is no place to go at night that has any atmosphere and fun. The Boardwalk Atlantic Dance was a bust this summer even on Sat-- except for the DJ's 2 dancers that were the only ones on the floor. Jelly Rolls is ok at times but they were charging a $10 cover when I was there!!!! I refused to pay it and went back to my room with nothing to do. Someone needs to re-open Pleasure Island . I almost feel like I should re-think getting my annual pass next year and go back to cruising ... Wake -Up Disney!
Kelly B Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #681
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulemara View Post
Haven't you heard? The demographics are changing! People are getting older and want to be back in their rooms at 10pm now. (quote from Lee Cockrell on the DIS podcast cruise btw)
That's certainly a funny comment. Especially since older people without kids is what PI was built for and was the target audience. It wasn't designed for families with kids (who go to bed early!), it was designed for the 20 somethings without kids and older couples whose kids have already moved out. Certainly seems like those groups are still quite prevalent in today's society and actually the older couples probably have more money to spend than any other demographic group.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #682
bgohre
Always be the second one in the outhouse. It's going to smell anyway so you might as well have a warm seat.

I'm sure I'll get flamed here. But....I've been going to Disney since I was 17 years old, lets just say, I'm a "touch" over that rignt now. We generally go to Disney at least once a year and usually twice. I have never, and seriously, NEVER been to PI. I don't come to Disney to go Dancing, listen to DJ's or drink beer. Thats something that I can do at home anytime I want.

So to me, PI has always just been a big waste of space and money.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #683
rpmdfw
I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5
Bridezilla, Groomzilla and Gayzilla all rolled into one

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgohre View Post
I'm sure I'll get flamed here. But....I've been going to Disney since I was 17 years old, lets just say, I'm a "touch" over that rignt now. We generally go to Disney at least once a year and usually twice. I have never, and seriously, NEVER been to PI. I don't come to Disney to go Dancing, listen to DJ's or drink beer. Thats something that I can do at home anytime I want.

So to me, PI has always just been a big waste of space and money.
Pleasure Island was SO much more than just "drinking and dancing". If you never bothered to visit, you don't know what you missed.

I feel bad for you. By never giving it a chance, you missed the single most amazing immersive Disney experience that imagineering ever created: The Adventurers Club. Nothing we've ever done at WDW, Disneyland, DCL, or Disneyland Paris has come close to the "Disney Magic" we felt in that one building. It was the pinnacle as far as I'm concerned.
rpmdfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #684
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmdfw View Post
Pleasure Island was SO much more than just "drinking and dancing". If you never bothered to visit, you don't know what you missed.

I feel bad for you. By never giving it a chance, you missed the single most amazing immersive Disney experience that imagineering ever created: The Adventurers Club. Nothing we've ever done at WDW, Disneyland, DCL, or Disneyland Paris has come close to the "Disney Magic" we felt in that one building. It was the pinnacle as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with you 100%. I loved that place. No where else can even come close.

And bgohre, isn't it nice that we all have such different interests? I think princess stuff is nauseating, so to me the new Fantasyland is a huge waste of space and money (especially given that it primarily will appeal to young girls and not at all to boys or most adults). I know other people will enjoy it, though, and I don't begrudge them that. Dancing and drinking may not be my thing (at home or on vacation) but I know some people really enjoy that sort of thing when they are on vacation, so as a stockholder I think it's a mistake for Disney to turn their back on those people. Especially since it appeals to people of many different ages. Disney is forcing those people them to take their money off premises for their evening entertainment. I've been taking my money to a comedy club and a playhouse off premises at night now that the Adventurers Club is gone, and I'm not the only one. I think it was foolish and short sighted of Disney to eliminate these evening entertainment options. Oddly, a well known comedy club and a really nice new theater are being built in Orlando, so clearly someone realizes that people are still interested in that sort of thing. Someone will still be making money on that kind of entertainment in the evenings, but it won't be Disney.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #685
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Boy, you hit that one on the head....the PP comments sound more like the common Disney response "Why would I want to go to WDW, Disney is for kids!" AC was my very favorite thing in WDW, as it was for many others. True Disney entertainment aimed at an Adult audience. It wasn't about drinking or dancing, but the show. Sorry, PP, that you were unable to experience it.

If they announced they were re-opening the AC, I would book a trip tomorrow. (Of course, I already have a trip booked, but you get my point.)

SkierPete

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #686
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

Quote:

I also agree 100%. Nicely said!

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #687
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
....Especially since older people without kids is what PI was built for and was the target audience. It wasn't designed for families with kids (who go to bed early!), it was designed for the 20 somethings without kids and older couples whose kids have already moved out. Certainly seems like those groups are still quite prevalent in today's society and actually the older couples probably have more money to spend than any other demographic group.
And those at conventions and meetings on Disney property or nearby. Those people want evening activities after their meetings are finished. Those people used to go to PI too. Other than Atlantic Dance Hall (which is not promoted and thus usually empty), those staying on Disney property have few nightlife options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcKahuna View Post
Bongo's can be decent some nights, but unfortunatly the only real nightlife at DTD any more is House of Blues (
I agree; was there this past Sunday night and it was packed.

BobK/Orlando
KINGBOBOFTHENORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:08 PM   #688
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

For the first time ever I set foot on Pleasure Island and Westside last weekend. Unfortunately I was never in the position to visit PI when the clubs were still open. I am sure I would have loved AC. Well, I found both those places seriously depressing. I cannot believe that Disney is just not doing anything with them. There were plenty of people there, but they had nowhere to go and nothing to do.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #689
gemstone1952
Earning My Ears

It is sad to see what is there now--I remember PI when it was "alive" at night. The stages, live bands, learning to dance swing when BigBadVoodoo Daddy played the West End stage. Fireworks, stilt walkers, confetti....every night and the clubs...amazing. All PI is now is a boarded up wasteland. My daughter was a "regular" at 8trax and the AC when we were at Disney. She does head over to Atlantic Dance and JellyRolls now when we are at Disney and she enjoys it, but she misses PI and what was there. We are from Massachusetts and I can still call her a regular because when we went to Disney, she didn't go out much during the day to the theme parks. She waited for the nightlife that was PI. Downtown Disney used to be a "must see" for us when we went to Disney and sometimes, we didn't (as a family) even go to a theme park at all and only went Downtown. Disney Quest, Earl of Sandwich, maybe some shopping and then PI at night. Great times, great memories......but only a shadow of it is left. Even the WestSide is looking more and more like a wasteland. We'll keep going as long as DisneyQuest is there, but if it goes we will probably not set foot Downtown at all except to eat at the Earl of Sandwich occassionally.
gemstone1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 AM   #690
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Is the Diana exhibition still there or has that finally given up and closed? any new rumours what might take over that store once its available again?
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: