Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-13-2009, 03:11 AM   #16
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by longing2Batdisney View Post
I don't think two sit downs in one day is a bad idea for a special occassion. I like your two choices! I plan to do one sit down a day when I start to plan our trip; so, I wouldn't do it for everyday...but, as I said a special reason...and you plan to have another day in MK so it shouldn't be a bad idea! another way to end a special day since ya'll will be at GF is to hop on the monorail over to the Poly and watch "wishes" and the "electrical light parade" from their beach!!

Happy planning!!
I have to consider this--of course, it is dependent on Wishes being done on a Tuesday. Does anyone know if they try to follow a set schedule for things like Wishes, Illuminations, Spectro-Magic Parade and Fantasmic? We would love to be able to make them all (definite naps/afternoon breaks those days).
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #17
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran
 
ExpatDisneyLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Currently working for the Mouse in Beijing, China with Disney English.
Posts: 2,028

Ptr

Hi - I am really enjoying your PTR! Thanks for writing! If I could be planning another trip I sure would - Sept. 2010 is not too early - you will really have fun planning!

Mom and I just returned from a trip Sept. 27 - Oct. 2 (free dining) - we stayed at POR. We really liked the laid back feel of the resort - it was so quiet we couldn't believe it. We didn't hear anyone till days into the trip even though it was full. The rooms were larger than I thought they would be and the beds were very comfortable. We were in the Magnolia Section but since you want a trundle you may be in Alligator Bayou - which also seems very relaxed and has great theming.

We also loved the boat to Downtown Disney. The food court was good. Though crowded in the mornings we always found a seat - we ate breakfasts - shared a bounty platter on free dining - it was large enough for the two of us. Bus transportation was good too - we only waited 10 minutes for buses and sometimes didn't wait at all. Sometimes it was standing room only if the buses were picking up from the Parks after closing but Disney transport was really efficient in calling more buses - getting people back to their resorts.

I would definitely stay at POR again. Have a wonderful trip!
__________________
Jill * 1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *
New Trip Report HKDL http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3323118
Trip Reports WDW and DLRP http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+reporthttp://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #18
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran
 
longing2Batdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 662 mi from my dreams!
Posts: 4,515

at the top of the page you will see different sections...if you click on theme parks you should be able to find the calendar. Also, on the WDW site they list the calendar...both will show you the time schedule of the parks, parades, and firework shows...I wish they would list the show times too! (but they don't)...I believe it is still 90 days out but they should be changing that to 180 days out!
longing2Batdisney is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #19
Lamping3
Mouseketeer
 
Lamping3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fenton MO
Posts: 246

Sorry I got them mixed up! Hope that didn't offend you. I just know how it is to want to do something a certain way for your family and have "other" opinions on what should be done......

I think doing a breakfast/dinner TS combo on one day would be fine. Especially since you would probably be doing 1900 PF for character interaction mostly (I've heard their food is just "ok"). For your DD the character interaction is probably a big "to do" so eating at those places would get some of that out of the way.

My family has stayed at POR twice.....in '99 and in '06. We stayed in Alligator Bayou in "99 and that is the location where the trundle beds are. In '06 we stayed in Magnolia Bend and I liked AB much better. Our room was VERY close to parking (a plus if you drive....your car will be right there). We had a 60 sec walk to the bus stop (through the bushes)...I will have to look at a map and let you know what building we were in. DTD is only a boat ride away and the boat ride is very relaxing! I was 18 when we went in '99 and I slept on the trundle bed...I don't remember anything bad about it except it was right by the ac unit so I got cold at night (the plus to that was my parents snore.....both of them....loud and the humm from the ac kinda drowned them out!).

I believe that sometime this month reservations move from 90 days out to 180 days out so maybe the park hours will be posted earlier too! You might look at this years September calendar and see when Wishes usually is I wouldn't think they would change things like that around too much year to year it would at least give you a good estimate!
__________________
Lamping3 is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #20
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatDisneyLover View Post
Hi - I am really enjoying your PTR! Thanks for writing! If I could be planning another trip I sure would - Sept. 2010 is not too early - you will really have fun planning!

Mom and I just returned from a trip Sept. 27 - Oct. 2 (free dining) - we stayed at POR. We really liked the laid back feel of the resort - it was so quiet we couldn't believe it. We didn't hear anyone till days into the trip even though it was full. The rooms were larger than I thought they would be and the beds were very comfortable. We were in the Magnolia Section but since you want a trundle you may be in Alligator Bayou - which also seems very relaxed and has great theming.

We also loved the boat to Downtown Disney. The food court was good. Though crowded in the mornings we always found a seat - we ate breakfasts - shared a bounty platter on free dining - it was large enough for the two of us. Bus transportation was good too - we only waited 10 minutes for buses and sometimes didn't wait at all. Sometimes it was standing room only if the buses were picking up from the Parks after closing but Disney transport was really efficient in calling more buses - getting people back to their resorts.

I would definitely stay at POR again. Have a wonderful trip!
to my little PTR!! I like having a space to write feelings and getting questions answered. Since I am first time planner and only a second time attendee (and my personality in general), I want to learn as much a I can!

I am glad to hear you liked POR. We will be in the Alligator Bayou, since it is the only section with the trundle. Did you eat at Boatwrights? I am curious to know if it is any good. We are hoping for the free dining, but are not counting on it. It would be great for the budget if it did get offered again during that time period.
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #21
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamping3 View Post
Sorry I got them mixed up! Hope that didn't offend you. I just know how it is to want to do something a certain way for your family and have "other" opinions on what should be done......

I think doing a breakfast/dinner TS combo on one day would be fine. Especially since you would probably be doing 1900 PF for character interaction mostly (I've heard their food is just "ok"). For your DD the character interaction is probably a big "to do" so eating at those places would get some of that out of the way.

My family has stayed at POR twice.....in '99 and in '06. We stayed in Alligator Bayou in "99 and that is the location where the trundle beds are. In '06 we stayed in Magnolia Bend and I liked AB much better. Our room was VERY close to parking (a plus if you drive....your car will be right there). We had a 60 sec walk to the bus stop (through the bushes)...I will have to look at a map and let you know what building we were in. DTD is only a boat ride away and the boat ride is very relaxing! I was 18 when we went in '99 and I slept on the trundle bed...I don't remember anything bad about it except it was right by the ac unit so I got cold at night (the plus to that was my parents snore.....both of them....loud and the humm from the ac kinda drowned them out!).

I believe that sometime this month reservations move from 90 days out to 180 days out so maybe the park hours will be posted earlier too! You might look at this years September calendar and see when Wishes usually is I wouldn't think they would change things like that around too much year to year it would at least give you a good estimate!
oh no, you did not offend me in the least. Quite the opposite in fact--I was b/c how appropriately it fit both. DGM is not overbearing normally, she just has strong opinions about Disney!

I think the trundle will work out well for DD--I cannot believe you sleep on one when you were 18! I thought they were smaller than a traditional trundle. I forgot about the boat ride--that will be nice!

They are moving back things to 180 days, including supposedly the park calendars. I guess from past experience, I have read that they have played with going back and forth but I am hoping they keep the 180 days. I know there are a couple set days so to speak of things but we are fairly flexible in what we do.

I think I will see if there is a pattern available on the calendars, if not I guess I will just have to wait!
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 10-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Traveling to Disney

The great debate: how do we get to WDW? When I first started planning this trip (back in January ), we did not have our minivan. So I began to price out flights and car rentals as we did not have a car big enough to get us there with all of our stuff. It was so expensive to do either but even at this point we were leaning towards driving by renting a mid or full size car.

Well, in June with the announcement of the Chrysler dealers closing up locations all around us, we decided to check out a minivan we came across one of the closing dealer’s website. We did not like it but luckily for us, one that had not even been on the lot for a day was available for us to test drive. It had everything we wanted! It has a built in DVD player, dual climate control, fold down seats—just perfect!! It is technically a little big for day-to-day happenings but it is so nice not to have to borrow a larger vehicle we need it. The first time we went to Ikea to pick something up—we marveled at the space and not having to figure how to get it home!

So, the long story short—we are driving down to WDW from Michigan in our minivan. We will be breaking the drive up into manageable chunks for both DH (he will do most of the driving) and DD so she is not stuck in the car too much.

Tentative Driving Plan :
• Wednesday, September 8th: Drive to my sister’s home in Indianapolis area (DH may take a half day or full day off from work)
• Thursday, September 9th: Leave mid morning to drive down to my Dad’s home in southern Indiana. Stay the evening—go to bed early so we can wake up early!!
• Friday, September 10th: Leave between 5 and 6 a.m. [ugh face] Drive to southern Georgia—we are thinking the Valdosta area is where we would like to stop. From his house, it will take about 9 hours of driving time—so 11 to 12 hours with stops. Does anyone know any nice hotels in this area?
• Saturday, September 11th: Sleep in until 9:00 take off for WDW!!!! I am hoping we can reach POR by 2:00. From Valdosta area it will take about three and half hours. Should be doable to get there by then.

What do you think? Are we crazy? If the above schedule works out, we should only have one long day of driving. Driving straight to my dad’s home would make for two long days back-to-back which we thought would be difficult.

As a side note: we have driven from Michigan to NC several times, which took us about 12 hours or so with stops to get to DBF’s home. DD does really well in the car—as long as she gets one good nap in we should be good.

The others in the GG:
• MIL, FIL and BIL will be traveling down together—also driving down. They plan to take two days, stopping around Kentucky and then meeting up with us in southern Georgia so we can travel together on Saturday.
• DGM, DGP will be flying down Saturday morning from Ohio and DBF and her DH will be flying down from NC.

So there you have it, 11 people’s traveling plans to get to WDW. Hmm, are the plans going to change or will they stay the same? Only time is going to tell…

Up Next: Extra expenses? Whatcha talking about?
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR



Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Charlefours is offline  
Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #23
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran
 
longing2Batdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 662 mi from my dreams!
Posts: 4,515

Sounds like a very good plan! Congrats on the minivan! we drove straight through in May! what should have taken us about 9/10 hrs (we thought 10.5/11 hrs)took us 12 hrs...(but, Danny forgot his wallet and added 2 hrs to our travel time). we stopped at all the BIG rest areas for Ashton to run around! we had his DVD player and several easy to play with toys!!! HE did great!!! (the year before we went to Gatlinburg 10 hr ride--he was horrible--no DVD player and was still nursing at the time--HE HATED IT!). Anyway, if you have entertainment and stops to stretch and run she should do wonderful!

longing2Batdisney is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #24
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

I must be really boring since hardly no one is reading or commenting on my PTR, but I am going to keep posting anyways. It is serving as a way to get thoughts of my head, otherwise I am up way too late or consumed by them. I will be adding a posting here shortly about extra expenses (shh--they are gifts!) and then also a character sighting list that I am hoping to catch while we are there.

See you in a bit...
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #25
Lamping3
Mouseketeer
 
Lamping3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fenton MO
Posts: 246

I am still here! I usually catch up on my subscribed threads on my Iphone at my lunchtime. But it is such a pain to post I wait until I get some time on the actual computer....which ends up being about once a week!

Seriously get that "The Next Exit" book I told you about earlier! It will help you find a hotel in Valdosta. You can look at the exit and see what else is located there and kinda figure out if it will be a nice area or not. (Someone gave me a tip somewhere that if there is a Starbucks at the exit that it is probably a pretty safe area!) If you can't find it at your local Barnes and Noble...google it and it brings up their website that you can order the book directly from.

I think we had planned on staying at the Laquinta in Valdosta at one time.....our plans changed so much while we were still driving. I don't remember if it was a decent location or not...I will look into it and get back to you!
__________________
Lamping3 is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #26
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamping3 View Post
I am still here! I usually catch up on my subscribed threads on my Iphone at my lunchtime. But it is such a pain to post I wait until I get some time on the actual computer....which ends up being about once a week!

Seriously get that "The Next Exit" book I told you about earlier! It will help you find a hotel in Valdosta. You can look at the exit and see what else is located there and kinda figure out if it will be a nice area or not. (Someone gave me a tip somewhere that if there is a Starbucks at the exit that it is probably a pretty safe area!) If you can't find it at your local Barnes and Noble...google it and it brings up their website that you can order the book directly from.

I think we had planned on staying at the Laquinta in Valdosta at one time.....our plans changed so much while we were still driving. I don't remember if it was a decent location or not...I will look into it and get back to you!
I am planning to head up to Barnes and Nobles on Friday for some study time but I think I will take a break to see if I can find The Next Exit. Yay! I am so glad you are still reading.
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR


Charlefours is offline  
Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 PM   #27
Charlefours
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,773

Treats for those coming with us

I am not sure how it started—probably a suggestion of mine! As a thank you gift for our family who have decided to make the trip with us—we are giving them a few things and then they are getting a big treat (at least in my opinion).

For the ladies of the trip
:
Lilian absolutely LOVES dolls. As my treat to the ladies and Lilian, we will be going to the My Disney Girls Perfectly Princess Tea Party. I think it will be a great time! No one has done it before so it is going to a first experience for everyone . DD loves dressing up and having “tea parties” so I think this will be adorable. Has anyone done this before?? I hear the package that the girls get is phenomenal.

For the gentlemen of the trip: Allyn is taking them golfing—something we did the first time we went to Disney. Allyn had a great time even though he does not get to go golfing too often. I think for the holidays, I would like to get him a driving range pass so we can practice and then we can go mini golfing when it warms back up to practice putting. Not the same I know, but still lots of fun!

We are hoping we can get these two events to overlap together. I am anticipating for Wednesday morning to be this. The girls will get to sleep in and dress up than head over to the GF for the tea party. The guys can get up early and go play golf and eat lunch together, probably at the clubhouse. I am planning (tentatively) for us to meet back up at the hotel and then head off to park in the afternoon. It should be a great way to spend the morning/lunchtime!!

Other gifts I am considering:
• Mickey ears with their relationship to DD on them (i.e. Mommy, Daddy, etc) as a special treat to remember the trip with—a visual reminder besides pictures
• I am also considering one of the reusable shopping totes. I think it would be a cute and fun way for them to package up any purchases they might make to take home. We have one and it is great! They are nice and sturdy and can be cleaned if something spills on it (or in it).

So those are the extra expenses. They have been added to the budget so we are planning on them.

Up Next: You Whooo, Where are you? Characters we will be on the hunt to see.
__________________
***********************************
A Pirate and His Princesses Group PTR for Sept/Oct 2011
Lots of Characters, Lots of First but Lots of Drama: Why We Say NEVER AGAIN: September 2010 Trip Report
September 2010 PTR



Last edited by Charlefours; 12-30-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Charlefours is offline  
Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #28
PixieDustPrincess05
"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
 
PixieDustPrincess05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 408

I finally made it over to your PTR!!! Wow your plans sound really exciting!!!! I think that is great that you are doing a GG with your family. I have never stayed at POR or POFQ- although I am did stay a CBR back in 1990- I do not remember too much of it though. We usually do the value resorts because we do spend most of our time in the parks. But any of the PO resorts sound great- then again, any place on WDW property is great!!!

We are also sooooooo hoping for free dining- it will determine how many days we go for. If it is not offered, we will only be staying for 4 days/3 nights-however, if it is offered, we will be staying for 6 days/5 nights. We used the regular DDP last August, and we liked it (the QSDP was not out yet- I used that this past June on my short girls getaway to wdw and loved it), but I did not like being tied down to reservations. So, when we go back, we will be using the QSDP.

Can't wait to hear more.......
__________________
Janine (Me) Paul (DH) Austin (DS) (8)


Our May 2012 Pre-Trip Report- What Will We Celebrate?
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2867909




PixieDustPrincess05 is offline  
Old 10-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #29
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran
 
longing2Batdisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 662 mi from my dreams!
Posts: 4,515

I really like the idea of the tea party and the golfing morning/lunch that sounds like a great deal of fun!!!
the gifts sound like a great idea too; I really like the bag! I bought one for the little girl I watch for her bday its great!!!
Have a great weekend!
longing2Batdisney is offline  
Old 10-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #30
Lamping3
Mouseketeer
 
Lamping3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fenton MO
Posts: 246

I have read about the tea party and it sounds lovely! I do think the girls get a lot of loot there. I can't wait until Amelia is old enough to do things like that!

The packages for the ears are on Disneyfloral.com. As I said in my PTR everything is a little pricey. I am sure if you called Disney directly you could get them sent to you beforehand and make up your own baskets and then just have the hotel put them in the rooms.
__________________
Lamping3 is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When your job impacts your child Mickey'snewestfan Community Board 101 10-12-2009 08:56 PM
Very Unofficial October Grand Gathering Plan - For me and other crazy people like me Whipperwhirl Camping Community Board 9 10-09-2009 09:27 AM
Grand Cayman Seven Mile Beach Break wdwfan Disney Cruise Line Forum 17 10-08-2009 07:46 PM
Ok, so my DD left this am Trish5768 Community Board 4 10-08-2009 07:34 PM
I am going to a Creative Memories Gathering MsDisney23 Scrapbooking 3 10-08-2009 07:11 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: