Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #1
gvandalay
Earning My Ears

Smile Please help the newbie

My inlaws told us they are taking us to Disney March 31st through April 7th.
That is the only time we can go due to school. In laws are in their 70s plus my wife and I and our two kids son (3years) daughter (6 years). I have a short time to help book this. On site moderate resorts seem expensive, but we cannot stay at the value either. Need help! Should we stay on site or off site? Can we svae money some how at the moderates? What about meal plans, etc? I am overwhelmed by all the choices and the expense! So far what I have looked at, not including airfare is over 8,000$
gvandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Luv2Roam
Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Welcome!

You may want to look at the Ft Wilderness cabins, or the ASMu Family Suite.
Also you may want to go to the DVC board and see about renting points from a DVC-er. That may be your best bet.
With off site you will miss some perks, such as Magical Express, extra magic hours, package delivery to the resort, any dining plan offerings, etc.
The dining plans are a Walt Disney Travel Co (WDTC) exclusive. Although if you rent points from a DVC-er, they can add that to your reservation.
Luv2Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Perditamarie
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the DIS!!!! I think Luv2Roam gave excellent advice to help narrow your choices. Keep in mind this is Easter and Spring Break, so $$$ will be at a premium and things may fill up quick. If you all share a cabin or family suite, that could be less than 2mod rooms.

I have to say, I am a fan of staying on-site, especially during a busy time -- you have all the perks, and you can let Disney drive you and cut way down on commuting & traffic!

Why can't you stay value? Two rooms at a value may be the most economical, and they are fun (decent pools, food courts and buses) and on site at Disney! If you want to do any sit-down meals, the reg dining plan can be a good value. I think the quick service plan doesn't necessarily have any savings, but the convenience and the refillable mug make that attractive also -- and many meals are easy to share so there is plenty of food! Both are especially good deals for kids.

Price your trip by individual components: lodging, tickets, dining....then compare to a package. If you stay on-site at Disney you can eliminate a rental car and parking fees from your expenses. Check for special deals like 4/3 or 5/2 (not sure what the dates are for those).

Check out :

http://www.mousesavers.com/

They offer a link to discounted tix, and many discount codes as well as money saving tips.

Just have to say that this time of year is usually PACKED...so plan on the parks and resorts being very, very busy and crowded. Make sure if you plan on any restaurant dining to make your ADRs as soon as you are allowed.

If this is your first trip, read up on what to expect from a good guide book ( I like the Unofficial Guide).....happy planning!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
disneyforme33
Mouseketeer

For all the years I have been going to Disney I think I have only paid rack rates once. There is typically always some type of promotion going on at Disney. Yes you will be going over spring break and that is typcially one of the most expensive times of the year. i went last year at the same time and was able to get a great room rate. I believe 30% off at the moderates. The previous poster gave you great advise. Keep checking mousesavers.com and even disneys own website will list specials. There is never a guarantee of a discount but I think that there is a pretty good chance one will be available at that time.

I would definitely recommend staying on site. There are so many little perks available to hlep you save money. For one Disney offers magical express where they will pick you up at the airport if you are staying at one of there resorts. It is free so eliminates the need to pay for transportation or a rental car. Also, you will have the option to buy the dining plan which I feel is well worth it. The family suites at the value resorts may be a good option for you. Good luck with all your planning.

disneyforme33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
picktails
DIS Veteran

You should also register on the Disney site, with the dates of your next planned trip. Then you'll start getting emails from them. There's a code being offered now for 30% off the mods!

1976-CR...1980-offsite...1986-offsite...1990-CBR...1995-Dolphin...1997- POR...1999-POR...2001-CSR...2003-CSR...2005-AKL...2007-BC...2009-BC...2010-CSR...2011-BWV...2013-BWV
picktails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: