Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #76
tinkgurl
Life is what happens in between trips to WDW
Those "flying cookies" flying through space can be seen
I'm hoping that the little guy likes them!

Ahh..I love the excitement of checking in and just getting there.

I love walking across that bridge in the AKL lobby. Such a beautiful Resort. Your room was nice too! What a great view!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #77
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy to see all the pictures of your hotel and room. Sadly, we never once made it over to Jambo house to see the lobby I've been curious about the differences in Jambo and Kidani. I love your guys' headboard/wall decor - very romantic Still very intrigued and can't wait for more
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2009, 07:35 PM   #78
beyondblessed
Mouseketeer

I love your trip report - you did so good with pictures and details. Great job!!! I hope to be able to remember to grab the camera for all those details. You've inspired me! I'm anxiously awaiting more!!!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #79
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Very nice room! It looks like you guys lucked out with getting the savannah view! I also didn't know you could do online check-in if you rented DVC points. We did for our trip in December and I thought I'd have to wait in the normal line---good to know!

Sooo, I've never been to AKL but we have a dinner ressie for Jiko on our upcoming trip. Does this mean we go in and down two floors to get to the restaurants?? That is a bit confusing if you don't know you enter on floor 3.

Can't wait to hear more!
Thanks! Yeah, we got really lucky--we weren't expecting it! Yeah, someone gave me the link on my PTR to check-in online for DVC. It's not the normal check-in. It worked great! I've heard Jiko is really good. We didn't try it this time though. Yes, you'll enter the lobby which is actually on the 3rd floor. Then go to the elevators (on the right of the lobby, past the first hallway) and go down to the 1st floor. Jiko will be on your right once you get off the elevators. It was pretty confusing our first day...we just pressed a bunch of buttons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilAnn View Post
oooh! Looks like I logged at a perfect time! Just in time for another awesome update! Love all of the pictures. Nothing like a little pixie dust to start off your trip! I think we may have to look into renting DVC points on future trips after reading about your experience. Anxiously awaiting your arrival into a park......
Thanks! I love, love, love pictures. I know--it was awesome to get that awesome view!! You should definitely look into it! It's sooo great. The only downside is you can't take advantage of the specials (like free dining and 4/3 deal). Hopefully I'll post again soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
What a gorgeous room! And a nice surprise on that Savannah View!!

That lobby sure does look amazing. I had it as a "maybe" on our resort hopping tour, but I might have to bump it up to the "for sure" list! It looks great in the pictures, I can only imagine how much better it looks in person.

Looking forward (anxiously!) to the next update!!
We LOVED our room! The view was fantastic Oh my gosh--it has to have a MUST!!!!! Honestly, though, we visited a lot of resorts, and AKL was our favorite by far. And they say the Christmas stuff is gorgeous there. I'll try to write it in the next few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancegrl624 View Post
What a beautiful view from your balcony! I hope to see some animal pics from there soon! Your room is so pretty and I love all of the Disney details. Can't wait for more!
It was SUCH a great view. Don't worry--animal pics in the next update! We really loved our resort and our room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoo View Post
WOW! What a room! I love it.

I also love the carpet from what I saw on the DVD and my brother in law's pics. Everything is so nicely decorated! Can not WAIT to stay at AKL in the future! Kids would love the animals

So happy for you two...what a great trip!
We really loved our room!! Yes--I should have taken a picture of the carpet. It was great too. Everything was awesome! YES--your kiddos would have a blast at AKL! It's so awesome to see all of the animals without leaving your resort. Thanks, Katie! It was an incredible trip

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 10-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #80
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
AKL is really so gorgeous!! I love it!! Your pictures are awesome!! I love all the animal details and Lion King ones...that's one of the best movies ever!! I'm so excited for more!!
It is SOOO gorgeous! You and Landon would both love it! Yes--the Lion King is awesome. I love that we were staying at "his resort"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily View Post
I'm thoroughly enjoying your trip report.

We loved AKV Kidani! I'm thinking about doing a trip report myself. For me, this was our most satisfying trip to date.

I was disappointed we didn't run into each other. Maybe next time

By the way, I grew up in OK and my family still lives there. Glad you like it. I keep trying to talk my DH into moving back there.
Thanks so much! I just couldn't be happier with AKL. We loved the atmosphere! YES!!! Do a TR--and let me know what the link is! I really don't know how we're going to top this trip... I know! Me too! I ran into 3 DISers, but there were so many more I wanted to run into! I'm glad yall had such a great trip though. Oh, wow! Where is your family from? (If you don't want to tell the city, just what part) I love it here. It's so friendly and laid-back. Granted, I would like to move back to the OKC area. The small town thing isn't really my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
OOOOOH those pics are making me a little sad that we aren't staying at AKL again. We stayed for for our last two family trips and it's just GORGEOUS!!!

So they changed your room after you checked in online??? I haven't done the whole "check in online" thing yet...do you see an actual room assignment or just a building? Sorry for the questions- just getting excited for our trip!
Oh my goodness, isn't it just incredible?! I would love to try other resorts, but I don't know how they'll compare to AKL. Where are you all staying this trip? I guess they changed it! It said Pool View online, and when we got there, they told us we had Savanna View! No, you just see what kind of view it is. Since we got the value studio, we knew it would be between a pool and savanna view. I'm SOOO glad we got SV. When is your trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I'm so excited for you What a great view!
Thanks! It was awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leleluvsdis View Post
How awesome of a view to you have!!! Can't wait to read more!!!

OT when did they change the magical express busses? I thought they had the round windows and said magical express?
We loved our view! They still had the old busses, but they had some new ones too. I guess we just happened to get the Lights, Motors, Action one!

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 10-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #81
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkgurl View Post
Ahh..I love the excitement of checking in and just getting there.

I love walking across that bridge in the AKL lobby. Such a beautiful Resort. Your room was nice too! What a great view!
Isn't it the greatest?! You just feel like you're going to explode! That bridge is so awesome...we only walked across it a few times though, since our room was on the other side of the lobby. Thanks--we loved our view!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel1025 View Post
I'm so happy to see all the pictures of your hotel and room. Sadly, we never once made it over to Jambo house to see the lobby I've been curious about the differences in Jambo and Kidani. I love your guys' headboard/wall decor - very romantic Still very intrigued and can't wait for more
You have to visit Jambo house next time. We were really surprised when we visited Kidani--they're very different! I'll post more about that later, though. Isn't the decor great?! We loved it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondblessed View Post
I love your trip report - you did so good with pictures and details. Great job!!! I hope to be able to remember to grab the camera for all those details. You've inspired me! I'm anxiously awaiting more!!!
Thanks so much! It's been fun writing it so far! Yes--you'll be happy you took tons of pics! I'll hopefully write more in the next few days!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #82
haleofafamily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post

Thanks so much! I just couldn't be happier with AKL. We loved the atmosphere! YES!!! Do a TR--and let me know what the link is! I really don't know how we're going to top this trip... I know! Me too! I ran into 3 DISers, but there were so many more I wanted to run into! I'm glad yall had such a great trip though. Oh, wow! Where is your family from? (If you don't want to tell the city, just what part) I love it here. It's so friendly and laid-back. Granted, I would like to move back to the OKC area. The small town thing isn't really my favorite.
I have family all over OK. I grew up in Harrah (very small town) then OKC. Now my parents live in Norman, my sister and her family in Del City and a brother in Del City. My dad, brother and brother-in-law teach and coach at a Christian school in Del City. My other brother just started as youth pastor at a church near Tulsa. My grandparents (well my grandpa) live in a small town in the panhandle called Beaver.

We live in the Kansas City area and I must say I love it here. I would just like to live closer to all my family.

Me DH DS(16) DS(14) DS(11) DS(10) DD(9) DD(7)
June 85 Off, July 92 Off, June 00 AsSp, Sept 04 SSR, May 06 OKW, Sept 07 WL/BCV, May 08 BWV, Dec 08 SSR, Mar 09 Off, Sept 09 AKV Kidani/OKW, May 10 POP/VWL/Dol, Dec 10 AKV, FEB 11 BCV (1st Princess Half Marathon), FEB 12 Poly (2nd Princess Half Marathon), May 12 AKV and THV(Family Reunion!!) Nov 12 FLE Preview SSR/AoA, FEB 13 CSR/YC (3rd Princess Half Marathon), OCT 13 CSR (Grand Gathering)
Old 10-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #83
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

OH MY GOSH!! Check out the awesome luck you two had! Awesome view AND your room was ready right away! So incredibly beautiful...I hope you two saw lots of animals. I would totally sip my coffee in the morning on that balcony (love the details on the chair too!) and unwind. The lobby, yes...beautiful, you should see it in december with the GIGANTIC Christmas tree! Oooh, can't wait to read about your 1st day in the parks!!
Jess (Me)-29 Blake (DF)-28 Our Italian Greyhound and our salt water tank
WHY did you do it? 2010
Upcoming Trip: Pop Century!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #84
pipermae
Mouseketeer

Just joined in! Your room looks awesome! I can't wait to read more!
May&June 2010 - POP w/ new friends!
March 2011 - All Star Sports to celebrate our engagement!
August 2011 thru January 2012 - Disney College Program, Attractions Hostess at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
January 2012 to January 2013 - Seasonal Cast Member at Rock 'N' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith (visited in June and October in 2012)
March 2013 - Married at Disney World on 03-13-13!
Fall 2013 DCP - Attractions (Location: Sum of All Thrills)
Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM   #85
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Wow! AKL looks absolutely beautiful! I've never seen a DME bus like that!! Can't wait to read more.

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
Old 10-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #86
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxychica7 View Post
OH MY GOSH!! Check out the awesome luck you two had! Awesome view AND your room was ready right away! So incredibly beautiful...I hope you two saw lots of animals. I would totally sip my coffee in the morning on that balcony (love the details on the chair too!) and unwind. The lobby, yes...beautiful, you should see it in december with the GIGANTIC Christmas tree! Oooh, can't wait to read about your 1st day in the parks!!
I KNOW! Wasn't it incredible luck?! We did see a lot. Yeah, that's what we thought too...you'll have to see how the morning balcony worked out! Oh my goodness, I would LOVE to see it in December! I bet it's just incredible. I'll hopefully update again soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermae View Post
Just joined in! Your room looks awesome! I can't wait to read more!
Hi! Thanks so much for reading! It was fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Wow! AKL looks absolutely beautiful! I've never seen a DME bus like that!! Can't wait to read more.
It was SOOO great! We loved it. Yeah, I'd never seen one like that either. But that's what we got!

Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #87
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

WOW Staci!! What a great trip report so far!! You guys just look like you were having a blast!! I have to say I love the look of AKL!!! I would love to eventually buy DVC and this last trip really settled it for me that is the way to go!! I'm not sure what resort I want to buy in but I definitely need to check out AKL a little bit more!!!!! Love your pictures of the room!! I'm glad you were able to get such a great deal!!!

Savannah view...score for you guys!! I'm so excited I can't wait to hear about your two's adventures when you actually get into the parks!!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #88
bballdiva
Mrs. Choo Cho Mouse

What a beautiful room, I had no idea they were so nice

Old 10-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #89
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
WOW Staci!! What a great trip report so far!! You guys just look like you were having a blast!! I have to say I love the look of AKL!!! I would love to eventually buy DVC and this last trip really settled it for me that is the way to go!! I'm not sure what resort I want to buy in but I definitely need to check out AKL a little bit more!!!!! Love your pictures of the room!! I'm glad you were able to get such a great deal!!!

Savannah view...score for you guys!! I'm so excited I can't wait to hear about your two's adventures when you actually get into the parks!!!
Thanks Jen! Oh my goodness, we had such a great time! You really need to go visit there. I was our favorite of all the places we visited by far. It's just so different--you can't experience that outside Disney World! Congrats on deciding to buy DVC!!! That is incredible! I'm sure you'll take full advantage of it living that close! I'm soooo thankful for the great deal we got! I'm about to post about our fun time exploring right now, and then hopefully we'll get into the parks before too long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballdiva View Post
What a beautiful room, I had no idea they were so nice
Thank you! Yes, it was a really, really nice room. I don't know what a regular room looked like, but this was a studio...

Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #90
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Day 1: Exploring Animal Kingdom Lodge

Last time, I had just finished showing you all our incredible room and the view from our balcony.

Aaahh. Love it.

After we relaxed in our room for .78 seconds, we realized we were too excited and we wanted to explore the resort and grab some lunch.

Since we were on the 5th floor, we had a really good view of the lobby:

YAY! We love our resort!!

This little sitting area is at the opposite hall’s entrance

Oh, my. I could look at these light fixtures all day! Be honest, do you think they’d be too much for my house?

We went on a little walk across the bridge (there’s a bridge on the 5th floor that goes across the lobby)

And took some pictures of the huge window

We hopped on the elevator and headed down to the 1st floor to find some food to fill our hungry belly. When we got to the 1st floor, we saw Boma to our left and Jiko to our right. But where was the Mara? We finally asked someone and they told us it was outside and to the left.

On our way we had to stop and take a couple of pictures

We found the Mara without a problem and chose our meals. I love how they have the pictures of all of the meals featured on the screens so you can actually see what you’re ordering. Our initial plan was to split a meal here, but we were both really hungry. We decided we could either pay OOP sometime later for a meal or split one that night at DTD.

I ended up getting the Turkey Ciabatta with fries, a Water, and Apples and Caramel for dessert.

Michael got the Chicken Pita with fries, a Root Beer, and Cheesecake for dessert.

YUM! We both loved our meals! I decided to save some of my apples and caramel for later since I was stuffed.

Oh, and before I forget, we saw “the airport family” at lunch! It seems like we weren’t the only ones who were hungry after our plane ride from Dallas.

These murals lined all of the Mara’s walls. I wish I would have gotten a shot of the huge “tree” in the middle of the room. We really liked the murals, though.

Continued

Last edited by stacikristine; 10-07-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: