Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #136
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Tracey, just in case you don't get the earplugs in time, I already have a pack of Mack's junior-sized silicone earplugs that I'll have with me. They really make it easier on kids... DL is just so *loud*, and the fireworks can top off a loud day with crazy-making loudness.

That's so nice that his dad is coming along! I mean, yeah, very different, but nice all the same.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #137
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Sorry Robert has to go through such a mess with his meds plus the caffeine headache – those things by themselves are no fun. Hope he and E are both better!

And yes, the took Toy Story 2 out of circulation …I imagine they took both of them out. They want to ensure that if anyone gets a bug to see TS1 or TS2 they’ll go to the theaters and see them

Yes, doing research on drugs is always very enlightening. I always love the list of side effects some of this stuff has, especially the anti-allergy meds that my older DD has to take She actually finishes her course of tamiflu tonight. Her fever did break after 3 days and she is back at school, so I’m assuming it did some good
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #138
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Robert's totally fine, lucky duck!

I'm still just tired...my lungs take things hard and I'm not getting enough sleep b/c of certain people snoring and being worried about the kidlet.

Tracey, has your son's nose stuff cleared up?

Going through the usual business stuff...making the decision on transportation (still too chicken for priceline + it means carseat, so it looks like disneyland express purchased at a discount through getawaytoday.com), dealing with OUR airport (looks like wallypark as they have a good coupon, although masterpark was a great choice last time! and dougfox had good service too), figuring out what to put in the one checked bag (glowsticks, I think, etc), figuring out what else, etc etc.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #139
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The never-ending title change. I figure DS and I are each about 3/4 sick. Or maybe 1.5 is exaggerating. Maybe 1.25.

Gotta go see if the little bug is napping (he just said, from the couch, "I'm taking a nap") because that would be the best. He's only taken one nap during this illness, though today he and I slept until 11, which is absolutely unheard of for him.

Nope, no nap yet. But he's lying down. He knows that today is the make or break day...if there's improvement, if he complies with what I tell him he needs to do/take/etc, that is good. If no improvement, we'll be seeing his ND tomorrow, and we might just have to cancel the trip. This would be bad. Non refundable flights that were too cheap to get much credit back, if they were to give it. And we'd LOSE those points. And one of the things he has agreed to is taking it EASY today. TV is big today. I just refuse to take a still sick kid on a plane...hmm, maybe E and I could drive and Robert could meet us!

Ooooh, I just put the Giadi cooking show on b/c DS loves her, and she's making something with chard, tiny tomatoes, little shell pasta....yum!

mustard...the tamiflu drug does something to a neuraminase which somehow slows down replication, if I'm remembering correctly what I read, of the virus. Ultimately what it *can* do for people is take the illness down by about 1.3 days. To me, that's just not worth it. But that's also not what doctors say, it seems, when telling people to take it. I just don't know that there is enough informing in today's western medicine, to allow for informed consent. To us, a flu can knock you down. So you just stay down until you can get up. The 1.3 average time isn't worth it for us. But hubby has a lovely boss, E doesn't go to school, I'm a hermit...it's easy.

I hope she feels better!

Robert's symptoms were very classic flu, and he took Oscillococcinum within hours of the symptoms starting, he took 3 total doses, and he was perfect in a VERY short amount of time. E and I didn't take that b/c we didn't have those symptoms. Bummer for us!

Oh I hope we don't have to cancel, and I also hope driving isn't in my cards. That's a long drive for me now! I kind of got over that drive in college, and that was just to the Bay Area....

Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #140
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Hi Molly,
Get better darn it! My oldest is still snuffy but cough is nearly gone. And he feels better, which counts for a lot. But he is not on this trip so I am not worried too much about him. Little one is holding up well! I have been fighting just a cold with snuffy nose, but feel pretty good. So it is all go for us!

You might try the used stores and/or pawn shops for Toy Story 2. We pick up off circulation movies like that all the time. I can't get my little one to watch Nightmare before Xmas for anything. Too Scary. Yet he swears he is going on Ghost Galaxy and he wont' be scared because he loves Space Mountain. We'll see, I guess.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #141
Brady's Mom
"Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof!"
The snowball has hit my family and hit it hard

One of my favorite things about your thread is watching the title change!

I hope E is feeling better, I hate it when my kids are sick. I have one home now with a sinus infection and he is frustrated with missing Jr. High. He can go back tomorrow, but our school is being extra cautious about kids being sick and swine flu and possibly spreading infection, so, we have a Dr.'s note and he will just carry that around with him until he has been on medication for a few days.

I can understand the school's cautious protocol since there have been some swine flu cases at school - it's just hard for Jeff, since he hates to make up classes. Kinda makes me wonder why we decided to do a trip NOT on a school holiday??? OH yeah, we were avoiding the crowds.

Echinacea, orange juice??? I would suggest chicken noodle soup - but, how about tofu noodle soup??? For days like yours TV is a good thing. Relaxing, and he can lay down and rest while watching. Good luck!

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends
Brady's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #142
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady's Mom View Post
One of my favorite things about your thread is watching the title change!

I hope E is feeling better, I hate it when my kids are sick. I have one home now with a sinus infection and he is frustrated with missing Jr. High. He can go back tomorrow, but our school is being extra cautious about kids being sick and swine flu and possibly spreading infection, so, we have a Dr.'s note and he will just carry that around with him until he has been on medication for a few days.

I can understand the school's cautious protocol since there have been some swine flu cases at school - it's just hard for Jeff, since he hates to make up classes. Kinda makes me wonder why we decided to do a trip NOT on a school holiday??? OH yeah, we were avoiding the crowds.

Echinacea, orange juice??? I would suggest chicken noodle soup - but, how about tofu noodle soup??? For days like yours TV is a good thing. Relaxing, and he can lay down and rest while watching. Good luck!
There are some great vegetable broths out there too that would work. Nothing like homemade noodle soup to make you feel better.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #143
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi all!

There was significant improvement yesterday. It really made me happy. Today he's a bit snorfly again, but feeling and looking better. I enforced calm-time yesterday, and i'm doing it again today. Usually I let him go with his feelings for activity (he's a very active kid, even while watching TV, always has been), but I think he was hurting himself by self-regulating. I'm keeping him calm today, too.

I have definite hope that he'll be healed up for the flight.

I feel awful, though, that he's missed so many classes at the Y. I should probably just call them and withdraw him from them. They end the week we get back and he'd already miss the Monday swim, then with the Star Wars he'll miss the last swim class of the session, leaving only gymnastics, but unless he goes this Thursday he'll have missed nearly half of them anyway....

So today I should make our transportation reservation. And I'm stuck. Price of car rental never came down enough, so I want to do Grayline through GAT (discount!). But. I'm stuck b/c I don't want to pull up to the GCH on a bus.

Stupid stupid stupid....sigh.

And I'm thinking of moving our Minnie's breakfast, too. Also need to check GAT's price to compare it to normal price. See if a voucher is a better idea.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #144
Brady's Mom

All of the last minute things can be a real pain! Especially when you have a sickly kidlet and want to help them get better as fast as possible. For me, that is a lot of time spent with them, because if I am resting, that helps them rest. And then my kids do a lot of sleeping on me when they are sick. Well, only my 5 yr. old does anymore. The rest of them are to "big" to need to lay around on me. But, they never seem to get to old to need their mommy, even when they are grown up.

Glad to hear he is doing better and hope you are too. Good luck with all of the rest of your planning. How about a taxi to the GCH? Instead of the bus, oh wait, never mind, then you have to bring a carseat.

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends
Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #145
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Never ever thought he'd get to a place where I could actually tell him to lie down on the couch and he'd do it...willful little thing, he's always been. And my attempted "look of death" doesn't work on him, he seems to be immune to it. Very odd, it worked well when my mom did it to us! So glad he listens now.

I'm really bad at making soups...I mean, REALLY bad. I'm not a bad cook overall, and a pretty good baker, but soups just elude me. And soups kinda scare him...I think he's not sure what might be in there (sharks, perhaps? miniature giant squid?) and doesn't want to take his chances.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:43 PM   #146
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady's Mom View Post
But, they never seem to get to old to need their mommy, even when they are grown up.

Glad to hear he is doing better and hope you are too. Good luck with all of the rest of your planning. How about a taxi to the GCH? Instead of the bus, oh wait, never mind, then you have to bring a carseat.
Nope, you never outgrow wanting your mommy when you're sick. Sigh.

Since we're coming in from LAX, a taxi is right out.

I'm having some stupid snob issues in my head, which is ridiculous as we're not snobby. And I don't, personally, think the GCH is such a fine resort. I'm just being silly.

Though I am annoyed at the idea of stopping at DLH before getting to GCH. Not so annoyed that I want to carry everything from the DLH over to the Grand, though.

I think we will be taking the stroller. I was heavily considering not bringing it at all, but I'm sure he'll tire out a bit easier from all of this, so we'll be sure to bring it.

Grr, I upgraded my Firefox browser to the current one, and I just HATE it. It looks wrong, feels wrong, doesn't do what it used to, and I changed some settings and now I need to remember where to set them back, b/c the settings I changed are bugging me. Grr.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #147
Brady's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I'm really bad at making soups...I mean, REALLY bad. I'm not a bad cook overall, and a pretty good baker, but soups just elude me. And soups kinda scare him...I think he's not sure what might be in there (sharks, perhaps? miniature giant squid?) and doesn't want to take his chances.
Loch Ness Monster? Missing Link from Monsters vs. Aliens?

I used to be very bad at soups and didn't like them very much, but after being married to a soup loving, Chinese soup kinda guy, I have learned to make them and also to like them. But, it took me a long time. I still don't like non-chinese soups much.

My kids really like Chinese noodle soup, with the noodles and broth - don't make them eat the veggies. But, at least they eat the noodles and broth.

Do you like Kim Chee? I know it's a weird question, but I was just wondering......

Old 10-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #148
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I like kimchee sometimes. And sometimes not. And I think the times I don't are when the kimchee has been prepared with sardine goop.

Sometimes when I'm sick, and I can convince myself to eat it, eating some kimchi helps me get better FAST. Robert also has a bean sprout soup that's spicy and WOW does that help.

On whatever day that I was crazy-sick, Robert got me a vegetarian soup...it has wontons that they make by hand, and with all veggies, but they come separately, and I just wanted the broth. It was good, but he put it in my coffee mug (my disney one) and now my coffee keeps tasting like soup. Urgh.

OK now I'm starting to talk myself out of Minnie's, and I'm annoyed at the bus because we land at 9:40 but the bus comes every hour, so we'll just miss the 9:30, and we'll have to wait until the 10:30. Not sure I'm up for celebrity watching!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #149
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I've gotten sick WAY too many times the last few years. I forget about it in between, but it's starting to really come to my attention how often I get sick.

This is no good. Gotta figure this out.

E's wearing his dreadlocks, and is acting out At World's End while we watch it. Calmly.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:53 PM   #150
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I've gotten sick WAY too many times the last few years. I forget about it in between, but it's starting to really come to my attention how often I get sick.

This is no good. Gotta figure this out.

E's wearing his dreadlocks, and is acting out At World's End while we watch it. Calmly.
The inner vision of a red head with dreadlocks is too good. I am glad to hear that he is calmly watching the movie.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: