Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Coping and Compassion
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #31
CarolynU
Proud Mum twice over
The TF enjoys making people stare at the screen in amazement! :)
The TF thanks Carolyn!

I have read all of this thread and I am just so sorry. Cancer blights the lives of so many people. When will there ever be a cure? My thoughts are with you and your mum xxx
CarolynU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #32
live4christp1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember View Post
Yesterday we FINALLY met with the oncologist at the Cross Cancer Institute. It has been over three months from the time we received the diagnosis. In Canada, there is no other choice but to wait. The oncologist who initially gave her the diagnosis should have done the referral immediately, instead he did nothing and we had to go through our GP. (The referral process normally takes about three weeks, NOT three months.)

She had a whole series of new tests and very jaundiced. Because of the jaundice she is ineligible for chemo. Had we gotten the referral in a timely manner this option would have been open to us. I am so mad I could quite literally drive my car over that first oncologist. (I won't. But I sure do enjoy thinking about it.) That said, I know it was nothing we did. We were at the doctors office every week asking questions, there really isn't anything else we could have done.

So now we are into palliative care. At some point, my mummy will die. And I will have to go on. I don't know how I will do it.
I am so very sorry. I know there isn't anything I can say to make it any better. When we were told it all just felt like a bad dream and I keep hoping that we would get a call saying the diagnosis was wrong it was just this minor thing but deep down I knew it was real. It was just hard to accept. Please know that I will be praying for you and your mom.
live4christp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #33
sarasotamom
Mouseketeer

I am so sorry. I have had two of the people I care about the most (my husband and daughter) diagnosed with cancer in the past year. Both are in remission now, but there is always the next Pet Scan that can be bad news...My husband's diagnosis took a month..very rare form..I know how frustrating it can be..My family and I pushed the doctors to get moving. I have watched my baby boy ( boys never grow up) and my baby girl fight this dreadful disease with everything they have...I know it is not easy to watch the one's we love the most suffer. I wish I could reach out and give you a great big hug

The doctor's were not very optimistic with my husband's diagnosis, but I really think God sent us an angel when we met his oncologist. The chemo worked and right now he is cancer free. Is there any way you can get a second opinion? This is why I do not want government health care. Too much red tape to jump through. We pushed hard to get my husband treated. Our surgeon did not want to perform the surgery because he suffered a heart attack, (wanted to wait at least 6 weeks). We said no..(as did his cardiologist, GI, and oncologist). He finally did the surgery 10 days after the heart attack. We pushed the doctors hard. I know how frustrating it can be.

Cancer is such a dreadful disease. I am so sorry you are going through this. Please know that there are many here that are thinking and praying for you and your mum.

Last edited by sarasotamom; 10-01-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
sarasotamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #34
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

A ray of good news - my mum will be having surgery on Monday to have a stint put in that will help relieve the jaundice. If (and it's a big IF) the liver function is okay she may still be eligible for chemo. I'm not building castles in the sky, I know that chemo may not happen and that this won't magically make anything better - chemo would MAYBE mean a few months... But my mum will be more comfortable when she is not jaundiced and that's great. Plus, her spirits are high, so it's hard not to feel a little happy.
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: