Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
DizzyStitch
Mouseketeer

August during Free Dining Crowds

Next year I decided to try and minimize the amount of school my kids would miss so I booked our BB on August 15 thru the 28. For anyone who was there this year how were the crowds? We plan to have some non park days at Disney Quest and the Water Parks, so I hope to be able to plan the park days when the Dining crowd isn't as bad.
Pop Century May 2006Pop Century September 2006Pop Century September 2007All Star Music September 2008Pop Century September 2009Free Dining Bounce Back Pop Century August 2010 Universal June 2012DVC Boardwalk Villas June 2013 DVC SSR June 2014
DizzyStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

This past August, I arrived on Friday, Aug 14. Free dining started on Sunday, the 16th. This was my fourth trip at almost the exact same time in August, give or take a day either way. In previous years, free dining started the weekend we left, so about the 21st of so. This year, the crowds in MK were nightmarish. I have never, ever seen such huge crowds. I would say the crowds were similar to Thanksgiving day or the day after. The other parks weren't quite as bad but they were pretty crowded as well.
I doubt I will ever go back at this time of year again if they offer free dining at the same time. Just way to hot and humid to put up with crowds like that.

But, with that all being said, you are going for almost two weeks. You should be able to get to the parks really early and just stay for a bit. No need to try to cram it all in all at once. That makes you lucky. You can take your time.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
DAZY3BYZ
DIS Veteran

We were at DW this past August from the 17th-27th. This was during the first week of free dining. In the past, we always went to WDW in late April/early May. This time that time period was no longer an option for us since two of our boys are in high school now. There's just NO getting away during school anymore!

We were nervous about the heat mostly, but I can honestly say we handled it fine. We're from Massachusetts and it gets quite humid here...it just doesn't stay that way for long. We took lots of breaks, used our snacks for frozen drinks and such, went back to use the pool some, and did the AC rides/shows when we needed a break. We did carry misters/fans and drank a lot of water. It really wasn't as horrible as I was expecting. The crowds were heavy at times and very light others. I really think it just depended on which park you picked on any given day. Most of the time it seemed that we picked the right one to go to. The one mistake we made was going to DS on a F! day. DS was really busy that day! Even on that day though we did everything we wanted to by getting to the park by opening and using FP. We didn't do any EMH (I have teenagers!) but did get to park by opening or 15 min. after. We park-hopped most days to break up the day. No commando touring for us.

We had an awesome vacation!! I'd definitely do it again.

1999-ALL Star-sports; 2003- POR; 2004- POR; 2006 POR-POLY; 2007 POLY; 2009 POR-BC; 2010 POR-AKL
DAZY3BYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
WDW Traveler
Mouseketeer

We were there from 8/20 - 8/29 this year. While I found the resturants crowded I really didn't find the parks to be that bad. I've been at the beginning of August and it was definately worse then. The first few days (the first week of free dining and probably the last week before lots of kids went back to school) was pretty busy, but not unmanagable. The second week was very doable. Wait times for most rides were either non exsistant or maybe like 15/20 minutes. The larger rides were still over 45 minutes for most. The heat, yup it's hot. But as others have said, drink lots of water and take breaks in cool buildings or on cool rides. That's what we did. With DD in school I would never pull her out and I would definately do the end of August again.

80 & 91 WDW Off Site; 10/95 DL 3 Week Honeymoon; 4/00 & 5/01 DL Off Site; 12/02 WDW All Star Movies - MVMCP; 10/03 WDW Coronado Springs - MNSSHP; 5/05 WDW All Star Movies - F&G; 2/07 WDW SSR (DD turned 8) - P&PP; 08/07 WDW Pop - Mommy/Daughter Trip; 01/08 WDW POR - Dad & Mom Trip; 8/09 WDW - THV & SSR; 08/11 WDW - POP w/Free Dining; 04/13 WDW - Bay Lake Tower; 04/14 WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter
WDW Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #5
serene56
DIS Veteran

We are going to the World next year too.

Looked at the last week in August for the first free dining week.
Many schools still are not in session yet and I believe with the free offer families headed to the world for a last minute before school vacation.

So we opted to go 2 weeks later. Reports about crowds for this week were all over the place. some reported crowds= some reported its managable.

Crowded conditions can vary from person to person-(guess that what happens with expectations.)

reading reviews about people trying to get ADRs for that week gave me a headach-- the number 1 reason I decided to wait.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

Ok, so we had a different experience than some of the others. We went 8/15-23. We had the best vacation ever. We found the crowds do-able. We used fast passes, went to rope drop and left at lunch, then went back at night. We followed the Best/Worst park on UOG's website. We had such a good time, we booked for 11 days for 8/20-31 next year. We can hardly wait.

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crowds, free dining

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: