Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #136
BLTOH
Earned my Ears Years ago just going for replacements ones now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anj View Post
For those on the west coast, another airline to check is Allegiant Air. They are a discount airline and use the Bellingham, WA airport.
none of their routes fly into bellingham from the east coast..most go to florida or las vegas.
2011 7/5/11 Alaska
2006 DCL Wonder
WDWnumerous times
2000 DCL Magic
1998 WDW Wedding

BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #137
"Got Disney"
They’re like Lays chips...just cant get enough
Little Angels come and take them away
We need to smack them all in the heads and say "WAKE UP YAHOOS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
We are thinking alike. We plan to fly into Seattle but are also planning to spend 5-6 days in and around Vancouver. Whistler sounds wonderful - I may copy your itinerary. Please post it when you're done planning. I can't think about really beginning to plan until a year out when I'll know my budget a bit better.

Jodie
hehehe I will try to remember you can always find me in the July 19th Cruise meet....look on my first page and that is where I am posting all things Alaska I agree about whistler. If you go to my cruise meet there is a link on there for Whistler and all the fun things you can do there and places to stay.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2294276

By the way when are you sailing?????

just relax Mun :wooho
"Got Disney" is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #138
rsjj
DIS Veteran

subscribing!! lots of great info to read thru!!
Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 PM   #139
pillow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Got Disney" View Post
By the way when are you sailing?????
July 5th. I'll check out your page. Thx!
pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:18 AM   #140
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
with i think when i was doing price checks it was going to be $40 for the 3 of us to do amtrak from bellingham to vancouver.
I looked at the Amtrak web site yesterday and the Bellingham Amtrak station looked quite a ways from the airport. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle between them or are we limited to cabs?

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #141
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

Another question-DCL site shows "Guest onboard" in Vancouver at 3pm. This seems to be earlier than their other cruises.
Does that mean the lifeboat drill will be at 3? Ship depart at 4ish?
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #142
trimix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
I looked at the Amtrak web site yesterday and the Bellingham Amtrak station looked quite a ways from the airport. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle between them or are we limited to cabs?
Three options: taxi, public bus, or hotel shuttle.
The taxi, I have been told, is about $20.
The public bus is cheaper but much slower, and a pain with luggage.
If you want to take the morning train to Vancouver, a better choice if you want to enjoy the view in May or late August, then several Bellingham hotels will pick you up at the airport and drop you at the train station.

But more convenient and cheaper than Amtrak are the buses like QuickShuttle.

Disneyland more times than I can count.
WDW 8/2008
Disney Magic - Western Caribbean 8/2009
Disney Wonder - West Coast repo 4/2011
trimix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #143
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimix View Post
But more convenient and cheaper than Amtrak are the buses like QuickShuttle.
We're actually thinking of taking the train up and Quick Shuttle back.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #144
Padres19
Earning My Ears

Vancouver=Kid's Heaven

The announcement that DCL was sailing to Alaska in/out of Vancouver was like a dream come true for me. We've sailed DCL twice before and my daughters LOVED IT, my wife and I have always talked about going on an Alaskan cruise, AND we have a second home in Vancouver (where we spend a total of about one month each year). So this was absolutely perfect.

We have been taking our twin daughters to Vancouver since before they were one year old, they are now almost seven. Vancouver is, bar none, THE most kid friendly city in the entire world. There is an absolute TON of things for kids to do there, so do yourself a favor and try to spend a day or two there before and/or after your cruise. While many of the obvious suggestions have already been posted and discussed, I cannot emphasize how much kids ages 2-8 will absolutely LOVE the Kid's Market on Granville Island. It is a two story marketplace with arcades, playground and tons of great shops entirely devoted to kids. Behind it is a terrific pond that is always full of ducks and to the side of the pond is a great waterpark that is FREE (waterslides, spray cannons, etc--all for free). Granville Island is on the south side of False Creek. On the far east side of False Creek is the Vancouver Science World. It looks like a giant golf ball, but it is full of three stories of amazing things that your kids will love, and the hourly shows that they put on are fantastic. Kids from 2-12 will all have age appropriate places to go to and things to do. Kids (and grown ups) of all ages will really enjoy getting around False Creek on the water taxi's (False Creek Ferries or, my favorite, the Aquabus) which stops at Granville Island and at Science World. Vancouver is a remarkably compact city and it is very walkable to get from almost any hotel that you will be staying in to the water taxi station on the city side of False Creek. By far, THE best way to spend some time in Vancovuer as a family, is to rent a bike and ride around Stanley Park. If you only have an hour or two, just ride around the Sea Wall. If you have more time, stop off at the Aquarium (one of the world's best), visit the totem poles, stop at the water park or the pool, ride through the gardens, etc. There are lots of bike shops all over town, so there will be one close to wherever you are staying.

I could, and over the next year, probably will go on and on about places to go and things to do in this wonderful city, but I wanted to post something to get started to truly encourage all of you to seriously consider spending a day or two or more in Vancouver, rather than just flying in, transfering to/from the boat and flying out.

I can absolutely promise you that whatever age your kids are, they will love Vancouver.
Padres19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #145
piglet33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padres19 View Post
The announcement that DCL was sailing to Alaska in/out of Vancouver was like a dream come true for me. We've sailed DCL twice before and my daughters LOVED IT, my wife and I have always talked about going on an Alaskan cruise, AND we have a second home in Vancouver (where we spend a total of about one month each year). So this was absolutely perfect.

We have been taking our twin daughters to Vancouver since before they were one year old, they are now almost seven. Vancouver is, bar none, THE most kid friendly city in the entire world. There is an absolute TON of things for kids to do there, so do yourself a favor and try to spend a day or two there before and/or after your cruise. While many of the obvious suggestions have already been posted and discussed, I cannot emphasize how much kids ages 2-8 will absolutely LOVE the Kid's Market on Granville Island. It is a two story marketplace with arcades, playground and tons of great shops entirely devoted to kids. Behind it is a terrific pond that is always full of ducks and to the side of the pond is a great waterpark that is FREE (waterslides, spray cannons, etc--all for free). Granville Island is on the south side of False Creek. On the far east side of False Creek is the Vancouver Science World. It looks like a giant golf ball, but it is full of three stories of amazing things that your kids will love, and the hourly shows that they put on are fantastic. Kids from 2-12 will all have age appropriate places to go to and things to do. Kids (and grown ups) of all ages will really enjoy getting around False Creek on the water taxi's (False Creek Ferries or, my favorite, the Aquabus) which stops at Granville Island and at Science World. Vancouver is a remarkably compact city and it is very walkable to get from almost any hotel that you will be staying in to the water taxi station on the city side of False Creek. By far, THE best way to spend some time in Vancovuer as a family, is to rent a bike and ride around Stanley Park. If you only have an hour or two, just ride around the Sea Wall. If you have more time, stop off at the Aquarium (one of the world's best), visit the totem poles, stop at the water park or the pool, ride through the gardens, etc. There are lots of bike shops all over town, so there will be one close to wherever you are staying.

I could, and over the next year, probably will go on and on about places to go and things to do in this wonderful city, but I wanted to post something to get started to truly encourage all of you to seriously consider spending a day or two or more in Vancouver, rather than just flying in, transfering to/from the boat and flying out.

I can absolutely promise you that whatever age your kids are, they will love Vancouver.
Wow! Thanks for this info. My DD will be almost 9 for our Alaska cruise so we will definitely be keeping these things in mind.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #146
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran

This is awesome! I'm glad to see someone started this thread (thank you!) and thanks to the mods for making it a sticky!

I can't wait to take the time to really research Alaska and Vancouver! (right after my certification exam and interview....)
We purchased airfare and transfers through DCL. We are also going to be going the day before...We don't want to miss the ship! I figured if we purchased airfare through DCL then we would be locked into a rate-if the airfare went up then we would already have something set in stone.
Any idea what hotel they will be putting us up at? What is DCL going to do for transfers? Will we get airport to hotel then hotel to port then port to airport? More importantly-are we going ot have to take our own luggage to port!?! (Sorry, its the little things like that that I think about. DCL has always thought of every detail! I'd find it hard to believe that they didn't think this through too!)

We are so excited about this cruise!
I look forward to planning with you all!
Old 10-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #147
DisneyParkFan
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petals & Pixie Dust View Post
This is awesome! I'm glad to see someone started this thread (thank you!) and thanks to the mods for making it a sticky!

I can't wait to take the time to really research Alaska and Vancouver! (right after my certification exam and interview....)
We purchased airfare and transfers through DCL. We are also going to be going the day before...We don't want to miss the ship! I figured if we purchased airfare through DCL then we would be locked into a rate-if the airfare went up then we would already have something set in stone.
Any idea what hotel they will be putting us up at? What is DCL going to do for transfers? Will we get airport to hotel then hotel to port then port to airport? More importantly-are we going ot have to take our own luggage to port!?! (Sorry, its the little things like that that I think about. DCL has always thought of every detail! I'd find it hard to believe that they didn't think this through too!)

We are so excited about this cruise!
I look forward to planning with you all!
I'm curious too. Haven't booked yet. Still trying to figure out if from the Midwest, we need to come in the day/night before to be on the ship on time (Did that for the DCL in FL just to be safe) and where we might get put up for the night.

DisneyParkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #148
Alexander
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmark2000 View Post
DCL might have shuttles from Sea-Tac airport in place by 2011. How do the other numerous cruiselines manage?
I was kind of thinking this too. I am hoping anyway! It is considerably cheaper (about $400/person) to fly into Seattle from NY than to Vancouver.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #149
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran

The Breakdown...
Here is the break down as it is seen on my confirmation...
It looks like DCL is charging $800/person for airfare! I've found in on Delta for about $400 and Jetblue doesn't have their prices out yet...But for around Christmas time *I figured I'd look at peak season-worst case scenario* Jetblue is about $500--OH and That was for NY to Seattle...I haven't checked anything directly to Vancouver yet...maybe I should
There is not a price for transfers as it shows on my confirmation.
We are going to Vancouver the day before. They are charging us $294.00. They are putting us up at Fairmont Pacific Rim. The lowest price I could find on their website for 2010 at the same time we are going in 2011 (Sailing May 31) The Fairmont price is $399-Canadian...After converting it..it came to $379 American.

I think in the end with Transfers and such...it all works out...Who knows!

HTHs
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #150
Nutty4Disney
DIS Veteran

Thanks

Thanks for all the great information. I am sure I will be watching this thread closely over the next two years. We are on the last Alaskan cruise so hopefully I can gain some knowledge from those that travel before me. The only thing that scares me is airfare to Vancouver. We are thinking of flying into Seattle and taking Amtrak to Vancouver. No way would we arrive the same day. We did that with the Panama Canal Cruise and we were so stressed out traveling from the Midwest to LA I thought I was going to have a stroke. We may spend a few days in Seattle and/or Vancouver and take the shuttle back to Seattle after the cruise.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: