Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #76
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The endo really did NOT like the whole "well I've been working out so it could be muscle" thing...oh well!

This guy...he specializes in diabetes and pituitary disorders (the latter is not something I'd realized, though I had read it, when we first went in to him)...he has an industrial scale that can go up to something like 700 lbs...he's used to people lying their butts off to him about their food and all that. Robert has really messed with his head, b/c he's very honest about things now, and has made such HUGE changes.

He has also refused to take medicines for the blood sugar stuff, and that has knocked the endo's socks off as well. For those who know the numbers...back last September he had a1c results of nearly 10. In April, it was 5.7. That's astonishing.

And it was on that visit that Robert was reading a magazine meant for providers, discussing metformin...and it mentioned that metformin was so widely pushed, even in cases when diet and exercise could do the same thing, because most patients just will NOT make those changes. Robert got a little more cynical that day (welcome to my world, Robert) but got more understanding of the endo.

Anyway, yes, I'm sure it is just that! The endo just had a funny reaction to it.

I can't believe R is leaving tomorrow for so many days! Ugh!

I am happy though that the calendars have been more fleshed out, so to speak.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #77
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Drat! They called before getting it worked out if they'll actually cover it. Back to the waiting game about the HCG. Harumph.

I'm starting to wonder if the long delay in getting the Halloween fireworks schedule up was b/c they had to get special Anaheim permission to have fireworks every night during the non-summer.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #78
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Darn that is too bad Molly. I will keep you in my thoughts about that. Doctors can be so frustrating.
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #79
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

Anyway, ti's so much fun, to fill in those spaces. I even have fractional spaces filled.
Ha Ha, you are such a nut, having fun with such things! But I am happy for you none the less. We just switched our hotel to Paradise Pier and I am so excited for my friend that we will be on site. I really wanted Disneyland Hotel, but can't get one night. I will keep trying, but honestly I like PPH for location a little bit better. So glad to hear that Robert is doing so well!
Old 09-20-2009, 01:24 AM   #80
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Thanks, ladies!

Tracey, how fun! Since PPH has those foldout/foldover couch/daybed thingies, it'll probably be extra fun for the boys.

Augh, Robert is traveling, and he's ages away and I'd like to go to bed but my stomach is in knots b/c I haven't heard from him in over 2 hours and he was just walking around the area and I want him to get his hotel room and tell me, again, how much I ROCK because I found him a cool hotel and helped him so much, and I want to make sure he is eating (the time change can't be easy) and ask if he used the pool etc etc etc, but basically just make sure he's OK.

I know I've done this sort of thing to him by accident...I can't ever hear my phone (why oh why have I not gone to an audiologist...I have nothing against hearing aids and in fact have always known that someday I would have them since I started with a hearing loss as a kidlet) and I get all caught up in stuff and I forget to call and turn hubby into a blithering mess...he once had the maintenance guys at our old apartment complex do a "wellness check" on me where they came and pounded on the door, because I was taking a nap while newly pregnant and didn't hear the phone for hours...so I've done this to him, but he KNOWS how it feels and doesn't do things "back" to me...I know he's just taking 18,000 pictures of a place neither of us has been to...but still, dude, text, call, or email.

a few minutes later...

It worked!

So he's in the room now, and hopefully he'll get online.

Whew.

Sorry for the freakout all.

Tracey, has your son ever done the SmokeJumpers "tire swing" thing over in the Redwood area of DCA? If not, he and Jack might like to try it! E and I were talking about it earlier, and I can't wait for Robert to see E on that thing.

The other fun part of the attraction is the people-watching...not so much the little kids that get upset b/c they aren't 42" yet (like my son, when we took him into the Redwood area to help get him over not being 42" to ride GRR, and boom, both of the attractions in there that he wanted to do are 42" requirements...but I enjoy watching all the clueless young adults who blast right past the sign with the height LIMIT on it. I'm 5'3" and I can't go on it. These dudes are 6' and think they can, b/c they aren't paying attention.

OK it's the same sort of naughty thrill I got out of what was in my tag, where I would watch people get soaked, but it's even better.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #81
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

list

Trying to figure out what I need.

*earplugs for E, b/c Disneyland is loud. DCA, not as bad, but DL is rotten-loud sometimes. Also have promised them to him for HMH because he continues to tell us he will go as long as we protect him (not sure why he thinks our default is NOT protecting him on things like that, LOL).

*earplanes for E. Necessary, if only for placebo purposes. Wish they'd make a washable kind so I didn't need to throw down the cash for 'em every roundtrip, but oh well.

*saw on drugstore.com that they sell s'more flavored Zbars, which are a "nutrition" bar from Clif for kids. No marshmallow or gelatin or corn syrup in the flavor, and he's a fan of Zbars anyway. Haven't seen them in the store, and it might be special fun for him to get the flavor, since, apart from the chocolate, s'mores are OUT (even regular graham crackers have HFCS in them...).

*bodyglide stuff for the feetsies.

That should take us to $25 (have an email offer for free shipping at that amount).

*glowsticks!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 09-20-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #82
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Quote:
Thanks, ladies!

Tracey, how fun! Since PPH has those foldout/foldover couch/daybed thingies, it'll probably be extra fun for the boys.

Tracey, has your son ever done the SmokeJumpers "tire swing" thing over in the Redwood area of DCA? If not, he and Jack might like to try it! E and I were talking about it earlier, and I can't wait for Robert to see E on that thing.

I would watch people get soaked, but it's even better.
Hey Freakinout is okay. I do the same thing when I don't know that everyone is okay. Glad to hear you didn't have to wait too long.

The one time I went through the Redwood area, it was hot, and I hate hot, and Nathan was only 3. So I have never been back. But I do think now, that the boys will be big enough to enjoy it, and it shouldn't be hot, then it will be great. We'll definetly give it a try. Thanks for the reminder. I am a bit worried about encouraging too much running around in addition to all the walking. Jack's glucose levels are all over the place. He was at my house the other day and I tested his blood. He was high, at like 220, and so I sent them out to jump on the trampoline. After about 20 minutes or so his Mom arrived, and tested his blood. It had dropped to 120, which is just a crazy swing, ya know?? They were not constantly jumping either.

Hey, what is bodyglide stuff for your feet and how does that work??
Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #83
Brady's Mom
"Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof!"
The snowball has hit my family and hit it hard

Ooohhhhh....excited to try the smoke jumper thing. Our 5 yr. old will do it for sure, maybe he can convince his older brother to do it, too. 7 yr old is timid about new things - 5 yr. old is NOT! Too bad our 13 yr. old is too tall and I feel bad we missed it when he could have done it.

Don't worry about the freakin out thing. We're all friends here!

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends
Brady's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #84
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The bodyglide stuff is anti-chafing. Since my last trip, I have been wearing my Crocs Athens everywhere, even though they make the hobbit-foot thing I've got going so much worse (looking). Just so comfy. But since my feet are wide, and Crocs aren't actually made for wide feet, my skin can rub. So for me, I put the stuff on the tops of my feet, and it works for *hours*. Better than having bandages all on the tops of my feet like the first day I had the Athens!

I buy it at REI or drugstore.com.

That is a wild swing, but it's also so interesting. Exercise is a huge component of what has kept Robert's blood sugars calm. Diet too, and cinnamon is AMAZING for him (like so many things with food, we discovered that thanks to Disneyland as well!), but just getting out for a walk brings it down so nicely. I figure it's b/c he's not the type where there's a pancreas problem (they seriously need to re-name the WHOLE diabetes thing, the names and descriptions are woefully awful and give such a WRONG concept of all types), but he doesn't have the freaky lows that the pancreas-problem people have...but if he's high (because he doesn't take drugs for it there's nothing else to do) a walk will bring it down to a nice normal place.

The smokejumpers thing isn't a running around thing. Stand in line, follow the directions of two CMs, sit on a swing thing and go shooting through the air. Hold on for dear life!

There's also a wall climbing thing, kind of cool.

And then there are the rope net pathways overhead. I have not yet been on them, as I tend to wear skirts at DLR. Skirts with shorts under, but skirts all the same.

We sent Robert on this trip to places neither of us has ever been...and we remembered last minute to send him with his digital camera and two batteries...but forgot to send the charger. And the batteries are proprietary to Olympus and expensive. He could buy a charger, but we have one here, and to use the new one at home he'd need to use an adapter. Guess we could sell the old one, or sell the new one to a very specific audience... Buying a battery is 10 US$ cheaper than the charger, but it would need to be charged, too. He has an iphone through work and the camera is good for a phone, but not for a camera. I can't believe we forgot to pack the charger....

Old 09-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #85
kaoden39
Hugs

I won't even say what my husband the cyclist might use the bodyglide for. I wish that we had taken the kids to that area when they were littler. I think I would have liked to sit and watch that one.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #86
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...I know he's just taking 18,000 pictures of a place neither of us has been to...but still, dude, text, call, or email.
Yup, sad but true with the 18,000 pictures ...I did the same thing in Vegas on my last trip

Quote:
a few minutes later...

It worked!

So he's in the room now, and hopefully he'll get online.

Whew.

Glad he checked in for ya

Quote:

The other fun part of the attraction is the people-watching...not so much the little kids that get upset b/c they aren't 42" yet (like my son, when we took him into the Redwood area to help get him over not being 42" to ride GRR, and boom, both of the attractions in there that he wanted to do are 42" requirements...but I enjoy watching all the clueless young adults who blast right past the sign with the height LIMIT on it. I'm 5'3" and I can't go on it. These dudes are 6' and think they can, b/c they aren't paying attention.

OK it's the same sort of naughty thrill I got out of what was in my tag, where I would watch people get soaked, but it's even better.
We are looking forward to doing some of this stuff (and sending the kids through what we can't). I was raining the last time we went to DCA and we didn't get to try any of it

Quote:
Trying to figure out what I need.

*earplugs for E, b/c Disneyland is loud. DCA, not as bad, but DL is rotten-loud sometimes. Also have promised them to him for HMH because he continues to tell us he will go as long as we protect him (not sure why he thinks our default is NOT protecting him on things like that, LOL).

*earplanes for E. Necessary, if only for placebo purposes. Wish they'd make a washable kind so I didn't need to throw down the cash for 'em every roundtrip, but oh well.

*saw on drugstore.com that they sell s'more flavored Zbars, which are a "nutrition" bar from Clif for kids. No marshmallow or gelatin or corn syrup in the flavor, and he's a fan of Zbars anyway. Haven't seen them in the store, and it might be special fun for him to get the flavor, since, apart from the chocolate, s'mores are OUT (even regular graham crackers have HFCS in them...).

*bodyglide stuff for the feetsies.

That should take us to $25 (have an email offer for free shipping at that amount).

*glowsticks!
Good stuff to have and great idea with the glowsticks! We have a bunch of glow necklaces left over from camping this summer - DLR will be a good way to use them
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #87
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Wanted to say sorry for my possible tactlessness about mentioning the older teens who are too tall for smokejumpers...forgot that there might be some people here with kids too big for it.

But in my defense, I am quite sure that all of your older kids read the signs and don't just run into the line, skittering littler kids out of the way.

Anyway, I'm sorry if my tact-free zone there was hurtful to anyone.

I'm sure bodyglide has been used in alllll sorts of places best left unmentioned, LOL. And don't look it up on websites that don't sell stuff for athletics, b/c you're going to get a whole different product that would NOT work for intended purposes...or rather...wouldn't be like talcum powder in a compressed stick.

I felt like such a dork, being so worried about Robert...but he's so far away...

When he finally contacted me he said "Oh yeah, i took so many pictures, like 50!" And I thought "ummmm, that's a handful of pix, not sooo many". Plus, honestly, he's not usually the best picture-taker. But he did well! Towards the end of the pictures you could tell his head was tired b/c they all started tilting, but only a few were out of focus. (oh, and he took nearly 200 that day...he was so surprised!)

And yesterday he walked outside and saw someone with the same camera, he said something to her about it, and it turns out she has the same name as me, they were leaving THAT day, and she had forgotten HER charger so had to buy one there...and the charger plug won't work at her home (just like our situation!), so she sold him her charger on the spot for about half the cost. She *wanted* to just give it to him but he coudln't do that...actually he first asked if he could pay her to charge his batteries that day which is when she told him they were going home. So he has two charged batteries and hopefully he'll spot someone with the same camera and problem to pass it along before he leaves!

Having glowsticks is so great! We had never bought them, but of course earlier trips meant that E was younger and didn't notice as much. In May I meant to buy them but forgot, and I had a shameful moment of thinking rude thoughts about a group of women and kids who had glowsticks galore and were snapping them through the whole IASW line...and just as I was getting really grumpy that they weren't sharing (what the heck was WRONG with me?) they turned around and gave some to E...shame shame shame on me....

So when we visited my brother in June, I bought several dollar store packs, and not only do they make EXCELLENT light sabers to fight one's wonderful and hard-working lawyer aunt in the dark living room with...they are fun to have at DLR.

So as soon as I can FIND some at the dollar store (all they had last time I went were some Nascar themed, with glowing car number badge, nowhere near as many as there should be, sticks) I'm stockin' up so we can be the benevolent ones in line!

Woooo, I worked out on the elliptical yesterday, and I'm feeling it! Nothing else but actually running gets to ALL the leg muscles like that. In between the elliptical sessions E had his swim lesson, which was fun. He and another girl were by far the most enthusiastic, though she actually gets her WHOLE head under the water, and E just sort of puts his face under (which is better than I can do!). Since he has two short lessons a week, I'm hoping they ramp up the teaching soon here...in reality he probably won't get so great that he can go down the GCH pool slide alone, but I can dream, right???

So....swim lessons to enhance the Disney trip...and since the Disney trip goes over one of his lessons (second to last one), Disney trip swimming will enhance his last lesson at that level, I hope.

We're watching Brother Bear right now...Phil Collins is so good at writing songs for those movies...it's the part where Kenai has told Koda about Koda's mom and his part in her death.

Which just reminded me that today's my own mom's birthday...woulda been 65. Dang.

I've been narrowing down what I might want to get with my funcard. In May I remember spending way too long in the PT Flea pin store, as hubby and son shopped/browsed/traded, and I saw this bag/purse. It looked cute enough as a somewhat oversized cross-body bag, but then it had a flap, under which you could put pins! I like having some special pins, and I like wearing a lanyard with my cards in the lanyard pouch, but I don't like the pins on the lanyard. So...that looked like great fun. However, it might make me look MORE like a trader, and I definitely do NOT trade my pins, so I'll have to see it again. The other thing would be Mickey Mammoth Crocs. Sure I could order normal Mammoths from Cabelas for like 10 bucks right now, but where's the fun in not having Mickey on my Crocs????

Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #88
kaoden39
Hugs

Eh, I am just sad for my kids not being able to do it. It was my bad when they were young enough, actually I don't think the girls were ever small enough to do it. The timing and all that.

Sorry about my comments about the glide stuff, I could not pass it up and I am afraid to look at it on other websites.

That's great about Robert and the lady with the same name and the same camera. That is irony. And hopefully he will be able to pass it on too.

I would think glow sticks would be easy to find at the Dollar Tree so close to Halloween. And what fun they are. My oh so sophisticated teenagers loves them. When Kody went to a concert earlier this year she had glow stick bunny ears for it. I gotta love that girl.

I love the bags at Disneyland, recently they had a Disney outlet locally and I had to check out the bags. Unfortunately there were none I had to have. Now I think with your bucks you need to spend them on something silly and frivolous that you wouldn't normally get for yourself.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #89
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We had extreme success with the glowsticks. Had to go to two dollar stores to have the success, and now I know that the one we went to first should be avoided at ALL costs...they had Russian language cereal (called Monday Morning...be a Monday Morning family by eating this cereal!) and the whole place just smelled wrong.

But the second place was better. We got approximately 8 million glowsticks. OK maybe not. But quite a few. So that's done!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM   #90
kaoden39
Hugs

Yay on finding your glue sticks. I am We have a couple of Dollar stores here, and I am not overly fond of either one. They are both always dirty, I cannot stand a dirty store.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: