Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

The Tweet Repeat: Live Twitter Trip Report Recap - Lots of Photos (Part 31 11/1/09)

Welcome to the Tweet Repeat (yes, it's an incredibly cheesy name). Over the past week I was reporting live from WDW over Twitter. Many of you followed me on there and got the snippets of what was going on during the trip. In this report, I'm going to repost the Twitter entries (some call them tweets, hence the name of this report) in order and then expound on them and post lots of pictures (I took just over 1800) in order to flesh out the initial Twitter stream.

So, before we begin, let's recap the cast (taken directly from my PTR):

Quote:
First, the star of the show and the birthday girl:

She loves the princesses and just about anything fun.

This is also DD's first trip to WDW.

One more:

Second, DW (and company, not visible in this picture):

DW is excited about the trip, although I don't think she's quite as excited as DD and I. She's also pregnant with our son and due in November. DW thinks she'll be fine with walking and such during the trip. Obviously she'll be missing out on some rides, but the only one I think she's bummed out about is KS.

DW's only been to WDW once for a full trip and spent a day there when her and I were both in the LSU Tiger Marching Band (more on this trip later perhaps).

Third, myself:

I think I started getting a Disney obsession in high school, when the high school band took a trip to Disney World every other year. I've been on 5 full trips to WDW and the one-day trip mentioned above at LSU. One day I want to stay in the Contemporary Tower with an MK view, but we'll see.

I bought a new camera a few months ago, and since then I've been learning how to use it. Hopefully I've been behind it enough now to be able to get some pretty good pictures at WDW. Going to try my luck on the dark rides, and hopefully I can get the fireworks figured out when I'm there. If you'd like, you can take a look through my Flickr account (in signature) to see some of the pictures I've been taking.

Next, DM (DD calls her Grammy):

DF (DD calls him Pops):

Finally, DS (DD sometimes calls her Ya-Yas)

When the three of them heard we were going to WDW, they jumped on board. When DS and I were little, we went to WDW with our parents and grandparents, so it makes sense (to me at least) that they're coming too. Besides, we have 5 adults to attempt to corral one little girl. That should be enough, right?
As a quick summary, we spent Sept. 6-12 at Pop Century with 7 day Park Hoppers. We were celebrating my daughter's birthday and were on Free Dining. The real fun begins soon, so grab your .

Last edited by scoot241; 11-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 1: Getting There

(Quick format note: the Twitter entries will be in bold)

9/6/2009 6:49 AM CDT: Good morning! We're on our way!

At this point, we've been awake for 49 minutes, have gotten dressed, finished packing, eaten breakfast and are getting ready to get in the car. Our flight is for 8:20 AM and DW, DD and I are stepping out the door.

We're flying out of Hobby Airport in Houston, the Southwest hub. It's not all that far from our house, and on a Sunday morning it's easy driving to get there. However, once we arrive we notice the economy lot is completely full! Must have been full because of Labor Day weekend. The regular parking lot is about $16 per day to park, so we instead park in a parking garage across the street. The shuttle takes us from the parking garage to the terminal; we check our bags (boarding passes were printed from home 24 hours in advance in order to obtain A boarding passes) and head to security.

Now, security is bad enough with children. They don't really understand what's going on and why they need to take their shoes off and run their toys (in this case, a plush Lady) through a big metal box. DD was very cooperative though. However, there was a problem...

9/6/2009 8:00 AM CDT: Pal Mickey was causing trouble at airport security. He didn't want to take his shoes off.

You see, Pal Mickey was in my wife's backpack, which was run through the machine just like everything else. However, my wife's bag gets pulled to the side and a TSA agent starts rummaging through it. He pulls out Pal Mickey and runs him through again. Everything was fine, but Pal Mickey was up against a book in her bag which made it "look funny".

8:20 rolls around and the plane takes off on time! DD has a lot of fun watching the ground get farther and farther away as the plane goes up into the clouds. Two hours or so pass; DD plays with a magnetic princess doll set until the plane lands in Orlando.

DM, DF, and DS land at approximately the same time (11:30 AM EDT) from New Orleans just a few gates from us. We meet in a matter of moments, use the restroom and head down to the DME counter. The six of us were on a bus rather quickly. In a slight oddity (to me at least), it was a Cruise Line bus.

9/6/2009 12:12 PM EDT: On the DME bus. Driver is making wisecracks about Jersey and that people in Florida don't know how to vote.

I honestly don't even remember the Jersey jokes, so they must not have been that good. The entire trip, the bus driver was egging the guests on about which hotel he would stop at first (Caribbean Beach or Pop). He would try to take votes or get the guests for each hotel to scream louder, but would never decide. It was obvious he already knew where he was going first but wasn't telling anyone.

9/6/2009 12:38 PM EDT: First DME stop: Carribbean Beach. Boooo. Next stop: Pop!

After dropping off the Caribbean Beach bums off, the bus finally pulls into Pop and we made it!

Coming up: Checking in (exciting! ) and the first steps into the Magic Kingdom!

Last edited by scoot241; 09-15-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: adding a title
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot241 View Post
(Quick format note: the Twitter entries will be in bold)

The regular parking lot is about $16 per day to park, so we instead park in a parking garage across the street.

9/6/2009 8:00 AM CDT: Pal Mickey was causing trouble at airport security. He didn't want to take his shoes off.
Great start so far Scott!! I LOVE how you're tying the Twitter updates to the trip report. I might have to steal that. I mean..it's fair...you stole my idea for a Disney Twitter account

Ugh...is it sad that our ECONOMY parking is $16 or $18 a day and our normal parking lots in the airports are like $25 or $27?! I'm jealous!

And um...didn't you know? Pal Mickey is a terrorist mouse. He's on all the watch lists.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Great start so far Scott!! I LOVE how you're tying the Twitter updates to the trip report. I might have to steal that. I mean..it's fair...you stole my idea for a Disney Twitter account

Ugh...is it sad that our ECONOMY parking is $16 or $18 a day and our normal parking lots in the airports are like $25 or $27?! I'm jealous!

And um...didn't you know? Pal Mickey is a terrorist mouse. He's on all the watch lists.
We paid $8 a day to park. I think I would flip out if the economy lot was $16 a day.

Haha yes, you can steal the format. I thought about (and still am thinking) trying to work the replies in, but I think it would ultimately lead to confusion, especially when Twitter names don't necessarily line up with names here (or may be from people not on here).
Old 09-13-2009, 01:48 AM   #5
PAcpl
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. -Walt Disney

It was a pleasure following your Tweets Scott. Glad you made it home safe!

September 2007 - Animal Kingdom Resort (First (adult) trip to Disney, HHN)
June 2008 - Boardwalk Villas (Our first trip home)
May 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2009 - Beach Club Villas (MNSSHP, HHN, Food&Wine Festival)
May 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
December 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (First Disney Christmas)
December 2011 - Boardwalk Villas (Disney Christmas)
May 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Food & Wine, HHN)
Old 09-13-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Welcome back! Looking forward to hearing about (and hopefully seeing pictures from) your trip.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Welcome back! Looking forward to hearing about (and hopefully seeing pictures from) your trip.
The pictures are coming. If you're really impatient you can see more on my Flickr.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Part 2: A Special Greeting at the Magic Kingdom

Checking into Pop Century was simple; we checked in online. The cast member taking care of us pulled our files, gave DD her birthday button and took our cell phone numbers for a text message with a room number. She told us approximately where our room would be, and confirmed that the rooms would be connecting on the 1st floor. We were in the 50s building with Tramp right across from the bowling pin pool.

After getting our KTTW cards, we got some lunch and our mugs in the Pop food court. Pizza was primarily on the menu; nothing too big as we had 5:00 reservations at Ohana. While we ate, a text came to my phone with one room number. The other room's text hadn't arrived yet.

Once everyone had eaten, we went to the room. Since we knew we had connecting rooms, my parents tried the room that connected and their KTTW cards worked. We unloaded our carry-ons, got packed for the parks and headed out to the bus stop.

The bus to the Magic Kingdom came rather quickly, and we were on our way!

For a while before the trip, Hailey told us that Pirates would be the first ride we rode at WDW. As soon as we walked under the train station, however, we saw:

The Celebrate! A Dream Come True Parade was passing right by the train station! Naturally, we had to stop and watch the parade. I was able to take many nice pictures from where we were standing.

Coming up: Will we make it to Pirates? Will we be subjected to 8 million pictures?

P.S. No, there were no Twitter posts in this time range. I apparently was slacking.

Last edited by scoot241; 09-15-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: adding a title
Old 09-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #9
m2j
Mouseketeer

Love your trip report & pics!
August 2008 ~ POFQ
July 2010 ~ Pop

Me DH DS(12) DD(9)
Old 09-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Loving the photos and LOVE the photo of Hailey and...your sister (?) on the bus! She looks so excited! And I know the answer to your questions! (Obviously I stalked your flickr lol)

Sounds like online checkin went perfect. I guess I'll try it in 3 days for my trip!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
And I know the answer to your questions! (Obviously I stalked your flickr lol)
Same here, how sad. Maybe it's something in the NJ water that saps us of our patience.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

Quote:
Loving the photos and LOVE the photo of Hailey and...your sister (?) on the bus! She looks so excited! And I know the answer to your questions! (Obviously I stalked your flickr lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
Same here, how sad. Maybe it's something in the NJ water that saps us of our patience.
Ah, but my photostream may not be in the correct order. The last couple of pictures I put up last night certainly aren't (but they are from the same day).

J, yes that's my sister on the bus.

ETA: So I've noticed that almost everyone who's commented so far has been from Jersey. Apparently I'm popular up there and don't even know it.

Last edited by scoot241; 09-14-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: observation
Old 09-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Haha..that could be because of one of a few reasons:

1. Jersey people are awesome and know a good TR and photographer when we come across one.
2. We're all slightly disney crazy...I mean everyone on here knows about Jersey Week at Disney in November, right?
3. Did I mention we're awesome?
4. We're all fabulously (ha!) technologically advanced and got sucked into your Tweets?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
scoot241
Geaux Tigers!

My cousin just moved to Jersey... I don't think she's Disney crazy though (just regular crazy). I've never been, so I may have to visit her someday and see all my adoring fans too.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #15
PAcpl
The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. -Walt Disney

Philly gets no love?

September 2007 - Animal Kingdom Resort (First (adult) trip to Disney, HHN)
June 2008 - Boardwalk Villas (Our first trip home)
May 2009 - Saratoga Springs Resort (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2009 - Beach Club Villas (MNSSHP, HHN, Food&Wine Festival)
May 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
December 2010 - Boardwalk Villas (First Disney Christmas)
December 2011 - Boardwalk Villas (Disney Christmas)
May 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Flower and Garden Festival)
October 2012 - Boardwalk Villas (Food & Wine, HHN)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: