Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #331
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
CP, maybe, but not TK. We'll have to ask her.

Just kidding! Violence and things that can cause pain scare me in real life.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #332
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Yes. Why?

I'm considering using Southwest for our trip next summer, but am paranoid about the no assigned seats. I'm also kind of bummed about not being able to use Resort Airline Check-in. The rates for the major airlines will be out next month. However, I think Southwest will be significantly cheaper. How did you print out your boarding pass at the hotel? I plan on bringing my laptop, but a printer would be a little much

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #333
Tinkerbellarella
I was all like, "Um, well...that's different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
I'm considering using Southwest for our trip next summer, but am paranoid about the no assigned seats. I'm also kind of bummed about not being able to use Resort Airline Check-in. The rates for the major airlines will be out next month. However, I think Southwest will be significantly cheaper. How did you print out your boarding pass at the hotel? I plan on bringing my laptop, but a printer would be a little much
Hopping in for TK as I also pretty much exclusively fly SW:

1.) The no assigned seats thing isn't a huge deal, particularly if you do the online check-in and you do it as soon as it's available (24 hours in advance). You'll likely end up in the first or, at the worst, the second boarding group. For example, on the flight TO Orlando, I was one of the first or second people in line and got the pick of the litter in terms of seats for TK and I. Vice versa on the way home.

Here's how it works, once you check in you're assigned a boarding group (A, B or C) and a number. Passengers with the med cards and solo kids board first. Boarding group A, #'s 1-15 are normally reserved for SW's special business/preferred traveler group but if no one is traveling with that status then they don't fill those #'s. Then they seat the rest of the A group, so, theoretically if you get # A16 and there's no one with the preferred status, you'll be the first person on the plane.
After that they seat families with kids under 7, but, if you get in the A group, you're better off, obviously being in line then. Then it's the B group, then C. In my experience, the people who get assigned to the C group usually haven't checked in online and they wait until they get to the airport to check in.

I've done this process 6 times to and fro in the past year and nary a seat issue. Ever.

2.) You can check in to SW at the resorts via online check-in, although I don't know if it's the same process as with the major airlines. Here's how we did it: we happened to be at Epcot when our 24 hour window was due to open, so we strolled on over to the Yacht and Beach Club and went to the Concierge desk. They checked us in and printed our passes, no problems.

Keep in mind, though, that we weren't using Magical Express, so I have no idea how that would be affected.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #334
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

Quote:
Hey! I said he was a friend, not a boyfriend!

Okay, in all honesty, TK does not condone that type of stuff.

CP, maybe, but not TK. We'll have to ask her.
That was pee your pants funny!!

Just a couple things about SW for Jen NY:
Boarding between A and B with kids... it's kids 4 yo and younger, not 7yo. And depending on the gate staff...only kids and parents board together at that special time....Aunties and Grandparents board with their assigned Letter/Number. You can also checkin 24 hours in advance via you web enablabled phone. Print you passes at the resort front desk later or when you get to the airport. The only differnece with using ME and flying SW home is that you have to bring your own bags to the ME bus on departure, and then check them it. We always get a porter curbside at MCO right off hte bus to take our luggage in for us.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #335
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbellarella View Post
Things are, you know, going.

Gentle readers, I WILL be posting the next update on this here trippie but it shan't be today. I've left my TR notebook at home (booo, hisss) and while I could probably still write it from memory (it was a private morning, close to my heart), I do also have pictures to accompany it and want to make sure I get the timeframe right.

Hopefully tomorrow.

WRITE, woman!......write like the wind!!

Er, well....y'know.....when you can....

Old 09-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #336
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Quote:
I can't quite remember where he was trying to take us, though...OKW? The Poly?
If it was the Poly, I think we might have taken him up on it.

Quote:
The color and the wealth of green that my screenname afforded at the top half of that window could've been seen in ZERO visibility, my friend.
Oh, sure, sure, rub in my lack of navigational skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post

Quote:
Just kidding! Violence and things that can cause pain scare me in real life.
I hear ya! Thanks for taking a kindly ribbing, my friend.

Quote:
I see everyone has pretty much answered you, but let me chime in with general experience.

It will, most likely, be your cheapest option. I know how you like to pack. You get two checked bags for free, my dear.

All kidding aside, I've used Southwest exclusively for years. I have rarely...if ever...had a problem, and that includes poor service. The staff is, for the majority friendly, the flights are on time, and the no seat assignment thing is not a big deal at all. It's done in an orderly fashion, and we've never had an issue with getting what we like.

Honestly, I can't speak highly enough of them. Since we use a towncar service, we don't have to worry about ME, but I see Heidi answered that question. And also, it's very simple to have any resort print your boarding passes for you, as long as you're within your twenty four hour window. So no biggie there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
WRITE, woman!......write like the wind!!

Er, well....y'know.....when you can....

Dude.

Your siggie has gone country.

Is that because y'all live in Texas now?

Seriously, I love it!!!! YAY FOR A TRIP FOR THE LEGOCLAN!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #337
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hopping in for TK as I also pretty much exclusively fly SW:

1.) The no assigned seats thing isn't a huge deal, particularly if you do the online check-in and you do it as soon as it's available (24 hours in advance). You'll likely end up in the first or, at the worst, the second boarding group. For example, on the flight TO Orlando, I was one of the first or second people in line and got the pick of the litter in terms of seats for TK and I. Vice versa on the way home.

Here's how it works, once you check in you're assigned a boarding group (A, B or C) and a number. Passengers with the med cards and solo kids board first. Boarding group A, #'s 1-15 are normally reserved for SW's special business/preferred traveler group but if no one is traveling with that status then they don't fill those #'s. Then they seat the rest of the A group, so, theoretically if you get # A16 and there's no one with the preferred status, you'll be the first person on the plane.
After that they seat families with kids under 7, but, if you get in the A group, you're better off, obviously being in line then. Then it's the B group, then C. In my experience, the people who get assigned to the C group usually haven't checked in online and they wait until they get to the airport to check in.

I've done this process 6 times to and fro in the past year and nary a seat issue. Ever.

2.) You can check in to SW at the resorts via online check-in, although I don't know if it's the same process as with the major airlines. Here's how we did it: we happened to be at Epcot when our 24 hour window was due to open, so we strolled on over to the Yacht and Beach Club and went to the Concierge desk. They checked us in and printed our passes, no problems.

Keep in mind, though, that we weren't using Magical Express, so I have no idea how that would be affected.
Thanks Tink!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS View Post
That was pee your pants funny!!

Just a couple things about SW for Jen NY:
Boarding between A and B with kids... it's kids 4 yo and younger, not 7yo. And depending on the gate staff...only kids and parents board together at that special time....Aunties and Grandparents board with their assigned Letter/Number. You can also checkin 24 hours in advance via you web enablabled phone. Print you passes at the resort front desk later or when you get to the airport. The only differnece with using ME and flying SW home is that you have to bring your own bags to the ME bus on departure, and then check them it. We always get a porter curbside at MCO right off hte bus to take our luggage in for us.
Thanks Heidi! I WISH their parents were going. But it's going to be their grandparents and me with a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old

Quote:
I see everyone has pretty much answered you, but let me chime in with general experience.

It will, most likely, be your cheapest option. I know how you like to pack. You get two checked bags for free, my dear.

All kidding aside, I've used Southwest exclusively for years. I have rarely...if ever...had a problem, and that includes poor service. The staff is, for the majority friendly, the flights are on time, and the no seat assignment thing is not a big deal at all. It's done in an orderly fashion, and we've never had an issue with getting what we like.

Honestly, I can't speak highly enough of them. Since we use a towncar service, we don't have to worry about ME, but I see Heidi answered that question. And also, it's very simple to have any resort print your boarding passes for you, as long as you're within your twenty four hour window. So no biggie there either.
Thanks TK!!!

BTW, I should have taken a pic of the guy who wanted to buy the real whip.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #338
TarzansKat

Quote:
BTW, I should have taken a pic of the guy who wanted to buy the real whip.
Well, yeah! Then we could have determined if there was a level of shadiness there or a genuine Indiana Jones costume curiousity.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #339
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, yeah! Then we could have determined if there was a level of shadiness there or a genuine Indiana Jones costume curiousity.
I think I was in shock.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #340
TarzansKat

Quote:
I think I was in shock.
Let this be a lesson to us all.

Should we be on vacation, and something is so crazy, so stumping, so amazing that we are in fact shocked, we must remember...

"I need to take a picture for the DIS!!!"

Old 09-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #341
TarzansKat

My First Disney Morning

Well...on this trip, anyway.

I just wanted to do a mini update here. I know Tink had planned to talk about her morning, but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging.

I have in my notes that I slept well. Although I find it's always difficult to get used a new bed. That first Disney sleep is one of the most fun, because it's the...oh gosh...I have a whole Disney day ahead of me tomorrow...kind of sleep and I really enjoy that anticipation of the whole trip being ahead of you.

Even when you're doing a short weekend, it's still a wonderful feeling. And I would call what Tink and I did as relaxed planning. Prior to the trip we discussed our lists of must dos. In regard to rides, food, touring. And so we had that in mind when we went to the parks and to eat, and it was so helpful. Much like Heidi's list of three things, it's good to have some loose game plan.

Anyway, I woke up at 600am, and Miss Tink was already gone for her morning walk of solitude. I feel all of sudden like talking about Kryptonite and Fortresses.

Anyhoo, it was an extremely relaxing morning. I got up and used the coffee maker to boil water for tea. Tink had given me more of one of my favorite teas, it's a vanilla roobois with a hint of caramel finish. Really a dessert tea, but I like it for breakfast. Hey, I was on vacation. I sat at our little table in the room with my tea and my journal and wrote out all my recollections of the previous day. It was nice to get everything out, and to just sit and sip.

I finally started to get ready, and I must tell you something. Not that I don't absolutely adore my family, I do.

It was so nice to get ready in peace and quiet. It's a rare luxury and I love it. No one talking, no one asking me for anything, no one to take care of by myself. No offense Tink, but I think I enjoyed your morning walks as much as you did. And our trip was really the perfect blend of together and alone time. Although there wasn't much alone time, but we were both cognizant of some space when we needed it.

Honestly, she's the yin to my yang.

When Tink got back, it was time to start our day.

Whereve were we headed?
Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #342
MRYPPNS
Practically Prefect in Every Way

ahhhhhhh. You, a cup of tea and silence. Bliss.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #343
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Quote:
Well...on this trip, anyway.

I just wanted to do a mini update here. I know Tink had planned to talk about her morning, but I didn't want to leave you guys hanging.
Noted and appreciated....

Quote:
I have in my notes that I slept well. Although I find it's always difficult to get used a new bed. That first Disney sleep is one of the most fun, because it's the...oh gosh...I have a whole Disney day ahead of me tomorrow...kind of sleep and I really enjoy that anticipation of the whole trip being ahead of you.
I love those moments. I love to wave at them as they pass by.....because they seem to go by so FAST!....

Quote:
That's a rare gift you have there!... Treasure it.

Quote:
When Tink got back, it was time to start our day.

Whereve were we headed?
Oh are you KIDDING ME????!!!!!!...... You're really trying to do me in with this TR, aren't you?!!

Old 09-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #344
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I finally started to get ready, and I must tell you something. Not that I don't absolutely adore my family, I do.

It was so nice to get ready in peace and quiet. It's a rare luxury and I love it. No one talking, no one asking me for anything, no one to take care of by myself. No offense Tink, but I think I enjoyed your morning walks as much as you did. And our trip was really the perfect blend of together and alone time. Although there wasn't much alone time, but we were both cognizant of some space when we needed it.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that just sounds blissful.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:31 PM   #345
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

A relaxing morning of quiet and a cup of tea is the perfect way to start the day. It's great that you managed to both have some alone time on the trip.

Your tea sounds delicious!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: