Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
lklasing
When being chased by a bear, you don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the other guy.

But you CANíT swim in Bay Lake, can you?? (A surprise pic-heavy report) COMPLETE!

Hi everyone! Welcome to my fourth trip report! (If any of you need any bedtime reading, the first three TRs are linked in my signature below.) This time, as we did the past two times before this trip, we were back at Fort Wilderness, staying in a cabin. We used to be Poly Concierge people, and certainly loved it there, but once we found the cabins at FW, we knew thatís where we would be staying on all future trips. We just love the Fort!

Anyway, hereís the cast of characters for the trip:

Me: a 42 year old Disney nut. While I had fun on my childhood trips to the World, I never knew how much I would love it once I started taking my kids. Somehow, itís a completely different kind of thing to get to have fun at WDW with your kids, and amazingly better than it was when I was their age. I love everything about it Ė the planning , the thinking, the ADR-ing, the thinking some more, the re-doing of ADRsÖ. All of you know the drill. Anyway, hereís me:

DH Ray: a 48 year old who tolerated WDW on the first couple of trips, but who has now really come to love it as much as me. That doesnít mean he likes to plan the trips like I do, but he sure does love being there. Finding the cabins at FW was really the tipping point on Ray loving the trips Ė his ability to spread out in the cabin, not hear any kids running down the hall and just being out in nature (with a golf cart, of course!) increased his enjoyment of these trips tremendously. Ray (driving said golf cart):

DD13 Danielle: Danielle is now officially a teenager and this was her first trip to the World with that designation. (She makes sure to remind me of her status frequently, in case I ever forget. ) She is full of energy and life and definitely loves going to WDW as much as possible. Hereís Danielle:

DD11 Jodi: Jodi is by far my more laid back daughter, but she is equally enthusiastic about WDW. In her writing journal for school this year, she has already written about how much she loves going to the World, even though at the time she wrote it, she had no idea there even was going to be a trip. Hereís Jodi:

Over the past few trips, weíve waited as long as we could before telling the girls we were going. Youíd think that the obsessive amount of time I spend on the Disboards planning would tip them off, but happily we managed to keep it a secret again. Since Danielle is now in 8th grade (and since Iím a terrible mom who pulled my girls out of school for a Disney trip AGAIN), I had to tell Danielle about the trip a little over a week in advance so she could have her teachers sign the form that is required by her school so she would get to make up the work. We told her on a Sunday evening, 10 days out from the trip. Her face turned bright red with shock (or, it could have been a little too much sun from a beautiful weekend, but I choose to think it was shock). She was definitely surprised. It was about as much fun as Iíve had in a long time.

(Yes, thatís me in my pajamas Ė she didnít get back from a friendís lake house till late that evening Ė nothing like putting yourself out there on the web in your jammies! )

Jodi, on the other hand, is only in 6th grade and therefore in her last year of elementary school. I knew that I would be able to handle her absence with her teachers directly, so we didnít tell her until the morning that we left! By the night before the trip, it became apparent that Jodi had no idea what was coming. I was sure she had figured out that there would be a trip to WDW at some time, but she clearly had no idea as to when it would happen. So, on Tuesday night, Jodi went to dance class just like always, bickered with her sister, took a shower, bickered with her sister some more, and then went to bed. Not too much later, Danielle, Ray and I all followed suit, trying to get some sleep before our big day the next day.

Wednesday morning came bright and early. Ray, Danielle and I all got together for the big reveal. Danielle and I wore Mickey t-shirts and had Jodyís Tink shirt ready for her. When she finally woke up and figured out that we were seriously going to WDW instead of school, it was great.

Jodi wondering why the whole family has invaded her room before her alarm even went off:

And then the fun began when she figured it out:

We were at WDW from Wednesday, September 2 through Monday, September 7 (Labor Day). We hit all four main parks, plus Typhoon Lagoon and DTD. Happily, we were there for Free Dining, and even upgraded to Deluxe, so we got to go to some restaurants and shows we had always wanted to go to but never had before. More on all those later.

Anyway, thanks for joining in! More to come soon!

(PS Ė And for the record, this report DOES involve me swimming in Bay Lake! And, I lived to tell the tale!)

Leslie
WDW Trips: Several as a child with parents and grandparents; June 2003-FW; May 2005-Poly GVC; May 2007-Poly GVC (trip report); May 2008-Fun at FW cabins (trip report); November 2008-Fun at the Fort-Thanksgiving Style (trip report); September 2009-Back to the Fort-Labor Day (trip report); March 2010-Spring Break-lots of pics and FPs (trip report); May 2011-BLT; March 2012 - FW Cabins; August 2012 - DCL Dream!

Last edited by lklasing; 09-23-2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Good intro, and I can't believe your oldest dd didn't tell your youngest. Good keeper of secrets.

My guess is if you were in Bay lake,
You fell off a Sea Racer.
Waiting to find out what happened.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Raecheal
DIS Veteran

Your family is adorable, I love the photos... I"m in
Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Skyw
DIS Veteran

My DH became a Disney lover too [I]after[I] we started to go to Fort Wilderness. It was definitely the golf cart and fishing. Oddly enough, It is relaxing for us to be at the fort.

Good trippie so far...
DCL-Dream-2012, Wonder 2007
Fort Wilderness Cabins-2004,2007,2007,2009,2010,2011
WL-2014
Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Tri-circle-D
Throwing some love to TCD
They are full and clean!

Hello Leslie-

I followed you over here from your link on the camping boards!

You are off to a great start!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

TCD
Old 09-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
WDW Traveler
Mouseketeer

Great start and GREAT pictures! I can't wait to read the rest. Your daughters are both beautiful and their reactions are priceless. Over the countless trips we have taken and surprised DD, I've never taken her picture. Your TR inspires me to get a picture the next time!!

Can't wait to read more and see more pictures.

80 & 91 WDW Off Site; 10/95 DL 3 Week Honeymoon; 4/00 & 5/01 DL Off Site; 12/02 WDW All Star Movies - MVMCP; 10/03 WDW Coronado Springs - MNSSHP; 5/05 WDW All Star Movies - F&G; 2/07 WDW SSR (DD turned 8) - P&PP; 08/07 WDW Pop - Mommy/Daughter Trip; 01/08 WDW POR - Dad & Mom Trip; 8/09 WDW - THV & SSR; 08/11 WDW - POP w/Free Dining; 04/13 WDW - Bay Lake Tower; 04/14 WDW - Port Orleans French Quarter
Old 09-10-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
RocklandRVers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-circle-D View Post
Hello Leslie-

I followed you over here from your link on the camping boards!

You are off to a great start!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

TCD
I also followed you here. Glad you fell in love with Fort Wilderness like we did. I also like your candid camera type photos of you giving your DDs the good news.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Shan-man
Ņsɐɯʇsıɹɥɔ lıʇ, sʎɐp ʎuɐɯ ʍoH

I love all the pics of y'all in jammies! I feel like part of the family!
Old 09-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #9
bouncycat
DIS Veteran

YAAAY!!! I just LOVE reading your TR's!! I can't wait, I"m there in 5 days!!! But, I can live thru your tr until then!

Old 09-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
guardwife66
Mouseketeer

What a great TR. I love it. I will be there in 23 days. I can't wait. Till then I will live on these boards and read all about everyone else's adventures.

Michele
- once you camp at the Fort, other campgrounds are never good enough
#1 April 1979(Spring Break) - off-site as child w/parents and brothers just MK || #2 Dec/Jan 1996/97(Christmas) - off-site w/DH, DS13, DS11, DD4
#3 June 1999 - off site, solo business trip (but "had" to go to AK ) || #4 April 2002(Spring Break) - off-site w/DH, DS17, DS16, DD9
#5 May 2006 - Ft Wilderness (Oh My Gosh, I found Home!) w/DH, DD13 || #6 October 2009 - Ft Wilderness w/DH, DD16. MNSSHP || #7 May 2010 - Ft Wilderness w/DH, DD17, DS25, DDil22, DGD3months & DS26, DDil24, DGD3, DGD1
#8 April 2011(graduation trip) - All Music w/DD18 || #9 Sept 2011(first time with no kids ) - Shades of Green w/DH. MNSSHP || #10 May 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside w/DH

#11 Jan 2013 (1st 1/2 marathon ) - Pop Century JUST ME for 20th WDW Marathon || #12 May 2014 (Expedition Everest) - Ft Wilderness w/DH
#13 Oct 2014 or Nov 2014 (Twilight Tower of Terror 10 Miler) - Ft Wilderness w/DH, DD21, DGS1. MNSSHP
Next trip: #14 November 2015. Still planning. Wine & Dine and MVMCP
Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Sarilas
Ruled by the mouse.

I love that you surprised your girls! I'm surprising our girls in November when we go for our second trip to the World. I can't wait to hear all about it!
Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
California Jenn
Mouseketeer

What a fun start! And, I can't believe you were able to keep it a secret until the morning of for your younger daughter. That's so cool! Can't wait to hear about FW -- I've enjoyed visiting in the past, but can't wait to see pics and hear about the cabins.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #13
MDMagicMom
Pixie Dust all around

I followed you over here from the FW Cabins too. We're considering the cabins for our next trip. The five of us at POR didn't work out too well. Love that you surprised your girls - I'm so bad at keeping my excitement in check that I don't know if I could pull it off but I would so like to try! Can't wait to read more!
Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
OK GRUMPY
And that is some useless chit chat!
I wonder if they serve Green Beer

Great start I love the picture! Can't wait to read more

Old 09-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #15
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I wanna sign on too! We surprised our son with a trip to Disney last year and while it was really hard to do, the reveal was great! We didn't tell him until we were about 30 miles away. Don't know how we were able to get over 750 miles under our belt without him catching on.

You are a super cute family and I can't wait to hear all about your Disney adventures!

Lisa

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: