Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 PM   #1501
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Tuesday QOTD: When do you eat the bulk of your calories? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Snacks? Or are they evenly distributed throughout the day?

Mine are fairly evenly distributed throughout the day, unless I am saving points for a special dinner. I usually have 3-4 points for bkfst, 5-6 for lunch, 2-3 for snack, 5- 6 for dinner, and 3-4 for evening snack. I would like to be able to give up the evening snack, but I just can't, so I am trying to be sure I always eat it before 8pm.

Sorry I haven't been on much lately.... I even forgot to post my weight loss for last week, which makes me sad because it was a good one! Oh well. I am ending the summer a bit slimmer than I began it (assuming I have a good weigh-in this week), so I am happy. And I am SURE that having this BL challenge has helped me tremendously to stay on program, so thanks to ALL of you for coming here and sharing your thoughts and ideas and your personal ups and downs. THanks so much to those of you who took the time to coach and post QOTD. I really enjoy them... they really help me learn about my "friends" here. I am really looking forward to the next challenge.................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #1502
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Congratulations to all our superstars this week and a great BIG congratulations to corinnak for being the biggest loser and losing every week of the challenge!!!! You are my hero!

donac, I'm sorry that you had so much trouble walking on your vacation. The road to recovery is a lot longer and winds more than we would like -- kind of like the road to good health . . .

princessbride6205, when I have a craving that lasts for days like that I go ahead and try something little to take care of it. Otherwise, I'll eat ten different things that don't work and still succumb to the craving. Could you just buy one cookie so you don't have to have a whole batch to deal with? Or bake them, eat one and give the rest away?

Angie, it's taken me quite awhile to figure out what will work for me. I think it is a life long process and you have to be prepared to adjust all the time as circumstances change.

I will post the BL8 thread on Friday. Don't forget to check back here periodically for the final results. I know Shannon will have some interesting numbers for us.

Tuesday QOTD: When do you eat the bulk of your calories? Breakfast? Lunch? Dinner? Snacks? Or are they evenly distributed throughout the day?

My calories are pretty much spread throughout the day. I think that I need to eat less at meals and add a couple of snacks. Eating after dinner isn't too bad for me but between the time I come home and dinner is a big, big danger time. I also need to stop eating breakfast and lunch at my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worfiedoodles View Post
Congratulations to the Losers, and again to everyone for sticking with it to the end! That is what will get us to our goals, perseverence!
Maria
Argh! You are so right, matey!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #1503
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Corinnak - CONGRATULATIONS! You are an inspiration! It is an amazing achievement that you've lost weight every week. Yeah! Didn't you say you would never be a weekly biggest loser? Your slow and steady method has definitely been working. You did it!

Lisa - You're totally right about finding something to satisfy the craving. As much as I'd love to have homemade cookies and just freeze or give away most of them...I just don't have the time or energy right now (work is crazy). After some thinking on what else would satisfy my craving, I decided on some light cookies-n-cream ice cream. It hit the spot pretty well.

I need to find some outlet for my stress. Work has gotten crazy and the rest of this month will be that way. I'm not near breakdown or anything, but I'm at a constant low to moderate level of stress. I've started constant nervous ticks like playing with my hands. I've mostly resisted unhealthy snacking at work, but I've had lots of cravings for off-plan foods and dining out. I'm exercising about 4 times a week, but maybe I could up that a little more. So I'll be working on de-stressing.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #1504
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

Wednesday QOTD: Bippity Boppity Boo! Your fairy godmother has magically transported you to the future, where you are your goal weight. How will you celebrate? Remember this feeling and your plans when the going gets tough!

Maria

Worfiedoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 AM   #1505
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Wednesday QOTD: Bippity Boppity Boo! Your fairy godmother has magically transported you to the future, where you are your goal weight. How will you celebrate? Remember this feeling and your plans when the going gets tough!

Oooh! Thank you fairy godmother! I feel so happy and strong! I think I will go to DL to celebrate, and of course, get some new clothes! I do reward myself along the way and try to really reflect and realize how being healthier really does affect all the other things in your life -- good and bad. Great question!

Oh, and fairy godmother, do you take requests?

princessbride6205, , sorry for your stressful time. Some times I think the lower level constant stress is worse that a big stress. Here is calendar from sparkpeople.com called 31 days to less stress http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=889 maybe there are some tips that will help you. I started really paying attention to my breathing when I am stressed. As I learned to take deeper breaths, my diaphram started hurting and I realized I wasn't taking in as much air as I could. Last, but not least, you have one of the very best stress relievers right there at home -- your daughter. (She might cause you stress sometimes too, after all she is 2! ) I always find spending time with DS reading, walking or playing is a good stress tactic -- kids are great at reminding us to live in the moment. Good luck!

Have a great OP day all!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:37 PM   #1506
jenjolt
Loves All Things Disney!

Quote:
I will celebrate by rewarding myself with a new wardrobe and start preparing for the beginning of our family!! The real motivation right now behind my weight loss to become a healthier me for becoming pregnant! I know how hard losing weight is...and I'm sure its even harder after you have children...so I want to start off on a good foot by being a healthy weight!!

This morning was tough for me, I woke up and felt so tired and gave in and played on the computer instead of working out! I am going to work out this afternoon by walking the track at my school. I really hope tomorrow morning I can get past the tiredness and workout!!

My Magical Trips to Disney:6/2012,1/2012,10/2011, 6/2011, 5/2011, 1/2011, 5/2010, 1/2010, 10/2009, 5/2009,
1/2009, 3/2007, 5/2005 , 10/1992: First Trip to Disney (Thanks Dad!)
jenjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #1507
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

Mine are fairly evenly distributed throughout the day, unless I am saving points for a special dinner. I usually have 3-4 points for bkfst, 5-6 for lunch, 2-3 for snack, 5- 6 for dinner, and 3-4 for evening snack. I would like to be able to give up the evening snack, but I just can't, so I am trying to be sure I always eat it before 8pm. I am really looking forward to the next challenge.................P
That sounds like a great distribution! And eating all your food before 8pm allows plenty of time for digestion.

[QUOTE=lisah0711;33408200]

My calories are pretty much spread throughout the day. I think that I need to eat less at meals and add a couple of snacks. Eating after dinner isn't too bad for me but between the time I come home and dinner is a big, big danger time. I also need to stop eating breakfast and lunch at my desk.
Quote:

You and me both! I know I should get up, but I tend to eat and type, not noticing what I'm actually eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
I need to find some outlet for my stress. Work has gotten crazy and the rest of this month will be that way. I'm not near breakdown or anything, but I'm at a constant low to moderate level of stress. I've started constant nervous ticks like playing with my hands. I've mostly resisted unhealthy snacking at work, but I've had lots of cravings for off-plan foods and dining out. I'm exercising about 4 times a week, but maybe I could up that a little more. So I'll be working on de-stressing.
One of my best tools for destressing is yoga -- I find I can really relax, and I feel so much better!

Quote:

Maria
Oooh! Thank you fairy godmother! I feel so happy and strong! I think I will go to DL to celebrate, and of course, get some new clothes! I do reward myself along the way and try to really reflect and realize how being healthier really does affect all the other things in your life -- good and bad. Great question!

Oh, and fairy godmother, do you take requests?
If only, I'd grant them to myself A trip and some clothes to show off your new figure sound like a great celebration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjolt View Post
I will celebrate by rewarding myself with a new wardrobe and start preparing for the beginning of our family!! The real motivation right now behind my weight loss to become a healthier me for becoming pregnant! I know how hard losing weight is...and I'm sure its even harder after you have children...so I want to start off on a good foot by being a healthy weight!!
A great plan! Take it from someone who was too big before she got pregnant -- adding more weight does not help! You will also gain less by following a healthy diet and exercise, you will be like one of those Hollywood mommies who loses her bump before she knows it! What a fantastic reward -- a little reason to visit Disney for many years to come!

I guess I should answer my own question

I am going to feel empowered, like I can accomplish anything! And I am going to buy new clothes and new coats and things I don't get very often in a much smaller size! It is going to feel great! I'm also not going to be shy about asking for what I want, and putting myself first to make sure I maintain my loss. Once I get there, I am not going back!

Maria

Old 09-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #1508
princessbride6205
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
princessbride6205, , sorry for your stressful time. Some times I think the lower level constant stress is worse that a big stress. Here is calendar from sparkpeople.com called 31 days to less stress http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=889 maybe there are some tips that will help you. I started really paying attention to my breathing when I am stressed. As I learned to take deeper breaths, my diaphram started hurting and I realized I wasn't taking in as much air as I could. Last, but not least, you have one of the very best stress relievers right there at home -- your daughter. (She might cause you stress sometimes too, after all she is 2! ) I always find spending time with DS reading, walking or playing is a good stress tactic -- kids are great at reminding us to live in the moment. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice and support, Lisa! I will check out the sparkpeople article. You're so right about the breathing. Remembering that will be my task & challenge today.

A fashion show of my "skinny" clothes that I now fit in from the back of my closet. Let's see, what else...? New workout clothes, I think. I love looking at everything in stores like REI, but pass them by because I can always just work out in sweats and t-shirts.
2013 WDW Marathon * 2013 Dumbo Double Dare / Coast to Coast! * 2013 Wine & Dine
2014 WDW Half * 2014 Glass Slipper * Next up: 2015 Goofy!
princessbride6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:23 PM   #1509
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

I agree that a new wardrobe and a trip would be a great way to celebrate. With lots of pictures taken of me on the trip.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #1510
sahbushka
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Maria
I agree with everyone else! New clothes and a trip...though mine is going to be to Australia! I already started the account for it...granted nothing is in the account yet, but it is ready to start recieving! I don't want to fly that far at the weight I am now and I want to do lots of fun outdoor activities when I get there!

Sarah

sahbushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:00 AM   #1511
maznorm
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Maria
I know I shouldn't reward myself with food but when I get to goal weight I plan on going to WDW and getting the deluxe dining plan!! I can't wait for 2 whole weeks of deliciously indulgent meals. I always walk a lot when on vacation so there will be some some damage limitation there!!

maznorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 AM   #1512
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

Thursday QOTD:Do you eat organic food? All? Some? None? Is this a change you want to make, or not something you think about?

I've started reading Jillian Michael's book, Master Your Metabolism, so now I'm thinking about eating more organically -- if I could do it, and if so to what degree. Just curious what other people do!

Maria

Old 09-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #1513
Worfiedoodles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbride6205 View Post
A fashion show of my "skinny" clothes that I now fit in from the back of my closet. Let's see, what else...? New workout clothes, I think. I love looking at everything in stores like REI, but pass them by because I can always just work out in sweats and t-shirts.
Yes! How many times have I thought something was really cute, but passed it by because of my size? Way too many! And I completely agree about shopping my own closet! I have some items I am about 10 lbs from, and I plan to wear them this Autumn -- ok, maybe not the sundress, but the long-sleeved shirts are coming back out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post

I agree that a new wardrobe and a trip would be a great way to celebrate. With lots of pictures taken of me on the trip.
I never let anyone take photos of me now. How great would it be to have pictures of me where I don't cringe?! Fantastic idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahbushka View Post
I agree with everyone else! New clothes and a trip...though mine is going to be to Australia! I already started the account for it...granted nothing is in the account yet, but it is ready to start recieving! I don't want to fly that far at the weight I am now and I want to do lots of fun outdoor activities when I get there!

Sarah
Ah, going to the Land Down Under! That would be the trip of a lifeteim! Definitely an incredible reward

Quote:
Originally Posted by maznorm View Post
I know I shouldn't reward myself with food but when I get to goal weight I plan on going to WDW and getting the deluxe dining plan!! I can't wait for 2 whole weeks of deliciously indulgent meals. I always walk a lot when on vacation so there will be some some damage limitation there!!
Wouldn't it be great if you got the deluxe dining plan, and then discovered you got to try all those great foods, but you didn't want to eat all of the gigantic portions? Just enough to feel comfortably full, but not stuffed. Wow, what an accomplishment!

You are all helping me tremendously with your answers. I have created a weight loss notebook, and I'm filling in 5 sections -- Motivation, Make It Work! (things that have helped before I want to do again), Moods, My Check-In (every two weeks), and Milestones (goals and rewards). One of the questions that was stumping me a little was how I would feel and look at my goal weight, and trying to imagine what I would do. Your answers have helped solidify this for me -- I can visualize what I will do so much better now!

My dh promised to take me to Atlantis if I lose 50 lbs -- doable, but definitely hard work and a long-term goal. He said this 5 lbs ago, so I'm down to 45 now. We've never been, so this would be a real treat for the whole family. It was a great way to get everyone on board with my goals -- since we all want me to get there, I'm getting tons of support for working out, eating right, and even getting enough rest. I've been sort of trying to figure out how this body is going to work in a swimsuit -- but then I realized I do not need to look like a Baywatch babe, I just need to find a tankini I like (gotta cover those stretch marks!), and it's not this body I'll be putting into the suit, it's going to be a much smaller one! And, since this is my big reward, I'm only going to buy a suit that's flattering and fits really well -- not the on-sale special at Target. I think that's the harder part of the mindset -- I am going to treat myself well in every way -- I hope you are all thinking that way, too!

We are all so worth it -- and there's no reason not to start now in little ways!

Maria

Old 09-03-2009, 08:14 AM   #1514
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

wed QOTD -- great question!! i will reward myself by grabbing any pair of jeans and slipping them on comfortably.....no looking for the 'big' pairs

QOTD -- i have read tidbits from various authors (Dr. Oz, Jillian..) on eating more natural foods. last night while walking with my neighbors this actually was brought up. i was surprised at their response of "I'm not paying $5 for a gallon of milk" and such, like a knee jerk reaction. Yes it can cost more, but I was pleasantly surprised to see ordinary name brands at Whole Foods, which can be bought at any grocery. the more I read and think about it, the more convinced I am that the processed ingredients are just truly "junk food" i am not 100%, nor do i think i ever will be, but I think any changes that I can make are great! and I will say the meat at Whole Foods and Trader Joes is superoir, IMO. sometimes i just stop and think "do i really need sugar in my pasta sauce?" i brought that up to which my neighbor replied "I know, but I still add more sugar to the sauce anyways" YIKES!

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #1515
corinnak
100% Tag Free!

Maria, these are some GREAT QOTD! I also love reading about your new notebook - the different sections sound so well thought out. So much of it is staying in the game mentally and it sounds like this notebook of yours is and will continue to be a big help with that!

Oh my gosh - I just realized I am this week's BL. I have been a little distracted the past few days and...just wow. I feel like Sally Field at the Oscars! "I'm a BIG loser! I'm a really BIG loser!" I DID say I would never be a BL of the week, because my losses tend to be so incremental. Last week was the biggest single loss of the summer for me at 2 pounds. I also dipped below 150 for the first time in at least 12 years and got my 40# clippie, so a very heady week for me, though I just celebrated quietly to myself at the time.

As for losing every week, I can scarcely believe it myself. I spent 6 weeks in the equivalent of Las Vegas for a gambler - the food and the eating in Northern Michigan is out of hand. There were buffets and ice cream at Yummies, cocktail parties, family meals with BIG eaters and the added stress of houseguests. If I can stay on track through that, I think I can do anything!

The biggest discovery I made was that when I used the FLEX points on the WW plan, I felt like I was on vacation and my losses were even better than when did not use them. I have been one to try to "conserve" the weekly points and I must say, I was wrong - those points are best when used!

On to the QOTD!

Over the summer, I had a formula for this - I use about half of my daily points on Breakfast and Lunch. After that, I typically have a small afternoon snack, dinner and sometimes an evening snack, too.

Oh man, I hadn't thought of a big celebration for this. I have a couple of dresses - one I wore to my graduation and one I wore to my rehearsal dinner, and if I could wear those dresses again, it would be so exciting. I know - 13 year old dresses, what a thrill. We are planning sailing on the Magic in Europe in 2010 - it will be fun to to do that trip at goal weight! Additionally, maybe if I'm at goal I'll finally feel like a Full marathon - maybe the Dublin Marathon! - would be doable for me. I love to run the moderate distances - 10K, 10 mile, half marathon, but my body has its challenges - scoliosis that makes my back and neck a little tricky, and I have always been worried that the duration and distance would be a bad idea for me. It still may be, but at a healthy weight it would not be as much a stress as it would have been last January.

Thursday QOTD:Do you eat organic food? All? Some? None? Is this a change you want to make, or not something you think about?

I have eaten some organic for many years now - I would say in terms of packaged foods, at this point, a lot of what I buy is organic. I like that the organic packaged foods contain less sugar - beans, for example - who knew that they'd put corn syrup in a can of beans??? Not the organic ones, though. I still buy a lot of conventional stuff as well. Maria - can you tell us more about how Jillian says it impacts your metabolism?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: