Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM   #91
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhockman View Post
LOVE the cartwheel pics! You guys are just too fun.

I know that Jameson Inn. I think I've mentioned on Connie's TR that Matt and I are from Fort Walton Beach, FL. So we always turn off at the Crestview exit when we're going "home" (where his family and my grandparents and various second-cousins still live).

The words "horrific tragedy" have me a little I hope everything is okay!
I have always liked Jameson Inn's. They seem to be in good neighborhoods and in good shape.

I'm going to get the "horrific tragedy" portion of the trip over and done with in my next installment. It was truly horrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaateamsgrandma View Post
Love that trip. I'm glad I was not in the first night bag or I would have been left behind. Our thing at night is the Goodnight John Boy. We start that nonsense and there is no stopping us. We always try for adjoining rooms. We all love to be together.

That Lacey is a tricky gymnast. Love all the pictures but I'm ready to get on the road. Let's go.
I think we were all just so happy from getting to spend quality time together, tired from the drive and giddy that we were on our way to Disney.

She's has never been able to do a really good cartwheel. She's more of a roundoff kind of gal but those have a hard landing. That would have been too loud to do in a hallway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadilynnsMomma View Post
Lacey is too funny! The anticipation of seeing the Welcome to WDW sign is too much to bear!!!

I am a little nervous for the horrific tragedy...
I'm about to post the horrific tragedy. I want that over and done with. I have cried over it, gotten sick to my stomach over it and played it over and over and over in my mind way too many times.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #92
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

Bring it on. I'm ready to hear. Then it will be in the open if further discussionn is needed

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #93
vladimir10
Mouseketeer

Lets hear it, we are hear to help!

vladimir10 (dad) Previous Trips - 1984, 1997, 1999, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
vet1999 (mom) Previous Trips - 1994,1997, 1999, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
jc (son, 6 yrs old) Previous Trips - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
Next Trip: DCL August 2013
Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #94
Cynthiagayle01
Mouseketeer

Love the report so far! It's so strange to see those pictures of the mississippi river and such. We go through there all the time! Horrific tragedy?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #95
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

*******I am going to say right now that this next installment is graphic in nature. If you do not want to read, please skip everything but the first three paragraphs.

The bags are in the car, the pictures are taken and now we're all in the car just itching to hit the interstate again. Before we do, we need gas. Luckily, there's an Exxon near the Jameson so we pull in and gas up. Gas costs: $34.25

This stretch is another really boring stretch of road. I always pack a few surprises for the road. This time, I had a 20 questions game, a fart sound machine and a new trivia gave for Hunter's PSP. First up was the fart sound machine. We laughed so hard at the different sounds. Then, Lacey, John and Hunter started making other sounds plus the fart machine sounds. Soon, I was saying "stop making me laugh or I'll pee my pants" again. I know. I know. We are sick people. But, at least we're having fun.

About three hours into the drive, the kids were in the backseat watching Bewitched on the portable DVD player. John was driving and I was looking at the map to see where would be a good place to stop for lunch.

We were driving along at about 72 miles an hour when all of the sudden I see dust flying and then a pickup truck pulling a trailer and a small car come flying through the median from the other side of the interstate. The truck stops before heading into oncoming traffic but the small car did not and continued straight into our side of traffic. An eighteen wheeler who was about 5 car lengths in front of us hit the car head on. The car's tire flew off the car and the car went spinning around. All I could yell was "Oh My God!". John immediately hit the brakes and pulled off the side of the interstate. Cars around us and behind us screeched to a stop almost causing even more wrecks.

I could still see the car and the passenger jumped out immediately. I don't see how he was able to get out. The front of the car was smashed to oblivion, the window was shattered into a million pieces and the remaining front tire was a twisted mess. The 18 wheeler pulled over to the side of the road and the driver seemed to be unhurt.

All of us with the exception of Hunter saw the car get hit. I was on the verge of tears as was Lacey. John was on the verge of vomiting. Thankfully, Hunter had been too immersed in the movie to see what had happened. When he asked what happened, we just told him that there was an accident and we had to pull over really quickly.

After sitting on the side of the interstate for about 30 minutes, we were directed to pass. I looked at Lacey and she knew immediately that she was to keep Hunter busy so he wouldn't look. John and I had no choice but to see it because it was right beside us. The driver didn't make it. Her head was through what was left of the windshield.

I started crying. Lacey started praying. John was holding my hand trying to be the tough guy but then he started crying too. I think we were so emotional because we knew that given another 10 to 15 seconds and that would have been us either hitting that car or that car hitting us.

Okay, I've posted the horrific tragedy. I'm done with it. The next installment will be more pleasant. I promise!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 08-23-2009, 05:43 PM   #96
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Oh, sweetie. What a horrific situation for you to have to deal with. I am so sorry for the driver of the car, and so very glad that no one else was injured and that you and your family are okay.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #97
vladimir10
Mouseketeer

I am very sorry you and family had to see that. It is a very difficult situation. Here's hoping the DW made you forget that horrible accident and the trip is wonderful fun.
Craig

Old 08-23-2009, 05:52 PM   #98
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Oh Lisa. Wow. I don't think there are any words. I'm trying not to cry myself.

What a horrible thing to see on such a great trip. I'm so sorry.

Just don't have any words. It's a miracle the passerger was okay.

I'm so sorry that happened and so glad it wasn't you.

I'm glad the rest of the story is happier.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #99
lisalonglash
I have a thing for actors nobody else thinks are yummalicious

Nothing I could say would help, I'm sure, but know that I'm sending lots of to you, John, Lacey and Hunter.
Me and dh Ds#1(14yo) Ds#2(11yo)

September 2013 - Disney World w/FD (POFQ)
September 2009 - Disney World w/FD(ASMu)
October 2008 - Disney World (ASSp)
May 2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris (off-site in Paris)
Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #100
tink1957
DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry that you had to see that horrible tragedy. I know it was hard to get it out of your head & enjoy your vacation. I'm also sorry for that poor woman & her loved ones.

We had an accident on the way to Florida in 2004, I totaled my van but fortunately nobody was hurt. I'm so thankful for that & the fact that now I no longer have to drive on vacation (my kids do the driving)
Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #101
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaateamsgrandma View Post
Bring it on. I'm ready to hear. Then it will be in the open if further discussionn is needed
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir10 View Post
Lets hear it, we are hear to help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthiagayle01 View Post
Love the report so far! It's so strange to see those pictures of the mississippi river and such. We go through there all the time! Horrific tragedy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Oh, sweetie. What a horrific situation for you to have to deal with. I am so sorry for the driver of the car, and so very glad that no one else was injured and that you and your family are okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir10 View Post
I am very sorry you and family had to see that. It is a very difficult situation. Here's hoping the DW made you forget that horrible accident and the trip is wonderful fun.
Craig
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhockman View Post
Oh Lisa. Wow. I don't think there are any words. I'm trying not to cry myself.

What a horrible thing to see on such a great trip. I'm so sorry.

Just don't have any words. It's a miracle the passerger was okay.

I'm so sorry that happened and so glad it wasn't you.

I'm glad the rest of the story is happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalonglash View Post
Nothing I could say would help, I'm sure, but know that I'm sending lots of to you, John, Lacey and Hunter.
Thank you all for your hugs. I am fighting back tears just thinking about it. I've played that scene over and over and over in my mind so many times. It was truly horrific. I thank God that it wasn't us. Just a few seconds later and it would have been.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #102
Mom2apirate&princess
Mouseketeer

That's awful! I'm sorry you had to see that. Many prayers for that family.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #103
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink1957 View Post
I'm so sorry that you had to see that horrible tragedy. I know it was hard to get it out of your head & enjoy your vacation. I'm also sorry for that poor woman & her loved ones.

We had an accident on the way to Florida in 2004, I totaled my van but fortunately nobody was hurt. I'm so thankful for that & the fact that now I no longer have to drive on vacation (my kids do the driving)
Thank goodness that you came out of it without any injuries. The wreck shook us up so badly that we practically begged Lacey to fly from Orlando to Georgia instead of coming home with us and driving to Georgia by herself.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #104
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

After leaving the accident behind, we all tried our best to get back into the "We're Going To Disney World" zone. I knew that Hunter was still hungry and that we would need to stop somewhere for lunch. The rest of us said we weren't hungry. I mean, who could have an appetite after what we had just witnessed.

We stopped at the next rest area because we were all feeling a little yucky. Well, with the exception of Hunter. I thank God that he didn't see what had happened. He is a very caring sensitive boy and I know he would have reacted just as we did.

At the rest area, the caretaker guy stopped John and asked if we had seen the wreck and wanted to know all of the details. John told him all he wanted to and the guy just kept pressing for more. John finally just told the guy "Man, I just don't want to talk any more. It was bad. Very bad. I don't want to relive it anymore." And, he walked off.

When we get back in the car, John told asked me to drive because he was still a bit shaken up. We got the kids to take out the fart machine and we all had some much needed laughs. Then, we had them take out the 20 questions game. It's a really neat little electronic game. You think of an object and then press start. The game has up 20 questions to ask to see if it can figure out what your object is. We thought of all kinds of odd things to try and trick the game. Who knew that a $5.00 game would help us so much?

The miles passed by and we finally got to Lake City, Florida where we found a Burger King. Yet another burger joint. Oh well. We weren't really all that hungry (with the exception of Hunter) but we made ourselves order food. Cost: $15.80.

We pulled into the gas station right down from Burger King and filled up the gas tank. Cost: $28.60.

We ate in the car because we were anxious to get to Disney and off the road. We drove and drove for what seemed like forever. Everybody but me napped on and off. It rained for a little while. I don't think I've ever driven to Disney and it not rain on us at some point in time.

Finally, we saw this sign:

Of course, everybody perked up when we saw the sign. We were almost there!

More signs:

And then we see this gorgeous archway in the distance:

A little closer look. Sorry, John didn't zoom in.

The sights while driving down World Drive:

You'll remember that the kids didn't know that we had changed resorts.

Up next, the reveal.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #105
vladimir10
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
After leaving the accident behind, we all tried our best to get back into the "We're Going To Disney World" zone. I knew that Hunter was still hungry and that we would need to stop somewhere for lunch. The rest of us said we weren't hungry. I mean, who could have an appetite after what we had just witnessed.

We stopped at the next rest area because we were all feeling a little yucky. Well, with the exception of Hunter. I thank God that he didn't see what had happened. He is a very caring sensitive boy and I know he would have reacted just as we did.

At the rest area, the caretaker guy stopped John and asked if we had seen the wreck and wanted to know all of the details. John told him all he wanted to and the guy just kept pressing for more. John finally just told the guy "Man, I just don't want to talk any more. It was bad. Very bad. I don't want to relive it anymore." And, he walked off.

When we get back in the car, John told asked me to drive because he was still a bit shaken up. We got the kids to take out the fart machine and we all had some much needed laughs. Then, we had them take out the 20 questions game. It's a really neat little electronic game. You think of an object and then press start. The game has up 20 questions to ask to see if it can figure out what your object is. We thought of all kinds of odd things to try and trick the game. Who knew that a $5.00 game would help us so much?

The miles passed by and we finally got to Lake City, Florida where we found a Burger King. Yet another burger joint. Oh well. We weren't really all that hungry (with the exception of Hunter) but we made ourselves order food. Cost: $15.80.

We pulled into the gas station right down from Burger King and filled up the gas tank. Cost: $28.60.

We ate in the car because we were anxious to get to Disney and off the road. We drove and drove for what seemed like forever. Everybody but me napped on and off. It rained for a little while. I don't think I've ever driven to Disney and it not rain on us at some point in time.

Finally, we saw this sign:

Of course, everybody perked up when we saw the sign. We were almost there!

More signs:

And then we see this gorgeous archway in the distance:

A little closer look. Sorry, John didn't zoom in.

The sights while driving down World Drive:

You'll remember that the kids didn't know that we had changed resorts.

Up next, the reveal.

I can hardly wait to hear how Lacey and Hunter react!

Those signs look so inviting! These last 26 days are going to take SO long...

Lisa, again, thanks for sharing. I really look forward to your trip reports. You are one of my favorites on disboards!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: