Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #61
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

When I left off, I was singing Yo Ho! Yo Ho! A pirates life for me! and the kids had taken a very unflattering picture of me with my mouth open. I guess they didn't care for my signing too much (I don't blame them.) 'cause halfway through the song, they asked me to turn off the music.

Like I said before, it took a whopping 10 minutes before the kids had the portable DVD player out. We are a family who loves movies. Not so much the action or dramas but comedies are our favorites. The day before leaving, Hunter and Lacey had gone through our movies (I don't know exactly how many we have but I know it's more than 300.) and picked out several for the road trip. First up on the playlist was Fun With Dick & Jane. They laughed in the backseat while John and I talked about our day in the front.

The drive from West Monroe to Mississippi is soooo boring. There's nothing to see but wetland and crops.

After being on the road for a little while, our tummies started to rumble but we knew we weren't stopping until we got to Vicksburg, Mississippi. It's a tradition to stop at the McDonald's in Vicksburg. I know it's not super good food but it's a tradition. What can I say? Since it's a bit of a ride to Vicksburg, we broke out the Lay's potato chips to hold us over. Then, we saw that we were nearing Vicksburg.

And here's the bridge that takes us across the Mississippi river. Like Clark Griswold, John has to sing "Deep River, My home is over Jordan." Except he doesn't say river, he says "rither". It cracks us up every time.

The Mississippi river. Sorry, the side of the bridge got in the way.

Then we see the Mississippi sign:

A closer pic:

I'm going to sign off for now. The dryer just stopped and if I don't get the clothes out while they are still warm, I'll have to iron them. I hate ironing!

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Last edited by mickeystoontown; 08-22-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #62
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Are ya sure you can't stretch next year out a l i t t l e longer. We're planning to head down on the 8th of June next year. Christian's birthday is the 9th. It would be SO cool to meet, but it looks like we'll just miss you.

Can't wait till the next installment!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #63
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhockman View Post
Are ya sure you can't stretch next year out a l i t t l e longer. We're planning to head down on the 8th of June next year. Christian's birthday is the 9th. It would be SO cool to meet, but it looks like we'll just miss you.

Can't wait till the next installment!
Heather,

You know, it's possible that the dates may change a little further down the road. I'm probably going to go ahead and book using the 27th through the 5th but if a promo comes out later, they may change.

It would be cool to meet some of my Dis friends in person. John would be into it too.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #64
aaaateamsgrandma
DIS Veteran

Just got back from Football Jamboree. A lot of fun. Beautiful evening out there tonight. Sheri got to go home and cook steaks for 4 hungry boys. Aust calls at 4 and says "hey mom can you cook for me tonite?" Of course she says yes and then he says "hey mom can Joel, Brock and Josh come too?" How do you turn them down.

Love the beginning of this trip. Of course I couldn't see all those pretty sites. I'm locked up in the trunk. I do kind of remember crossing the river. I could hear the water. And I do remember hearing John singing but I couldn't understand the words.

Keep up the good report.

Follow this link to see my TR. Rain, Surprise Birthdays, Rain, First Visits and did I mention Rain?

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2211283&
Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #65
hhockman
DIS Veteran

Love the pictures so far. It's been a long time since I've been over the Mississippi River. A REALLY long time.

I hope your dates do change. Our might change just a little too. Depends on a lot of things. I know I want to be there for Christian's birthday, but our current dates have us leaving on a Tuesday. If I can swing it, we'll leave earlier. Like Sunday. But I'm not sure how much $$$ we can put into the trip less than a year later. Partly depends on whether SeaWorld et al offers the Buy 3/Get 2 free thing again too. We going over to the other side of Orlando for part of the trip next time (please, please, PLEASE let Harry Potter World be open by then!), but we also have to do Star Wars weekends. And I want to actually be at Disney for Christian's birthday. We might do Universal/Sea World first. Don't know. Depends on the friends I'm supposed to be meeting, and the specials that are offered.

Hopefully we can make ONE day overlap at least.

Waiting to see McDonald's!
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #66
MadilynnsMomma
...first star to the right, and straight on til morning...

Hi Lisa - did I miss a post somewhere..? Did you get a bounceback offer? How did this upcoming (2010) trip evolve?

Sorry if you covered it already, feel free to point me in the direction of the post
Girls Trip Round Two - September 2012 - Pop Century Resort / Introducing Oli to the Magic - February 2015 - Pop Century Resort

Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 PM   #67
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Hopping on board, great start!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:59 AM   #68
longing2Batdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadilynnsMomma View Post
Hi Lisa - did I miss a post somewhere..? Did you get a bounceback offer? How did this upcoming (2010) trip evolve?

Sorry if you covered it already, feel free to point me in the direction of the post
around post #58!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #69
dismagiclover
Mrs. Darling: Mom to Wendy, John & Michael

Oh the fun of roadtrips It seems like you are totally prepared and everyone is having a fun time.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #70
deedeew80
Dreaming of My Prince

I love that you took pictures of being on the road!!! I'm a big fan of all the little details!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #71
MaleficentMama
Earning My Ears

I love your TR! Can't wait for more. I am also a paralegal and know JUST what you mean about clients changing the documents (1,000 times) at the most inconvenient times! I laughed out loud when you threatened to scalp her. I've had those exact same thoughts myself!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #72
MaleficentMama
Earning My Ears

I love your TR! Can't wait for more. I am also a paralegal and know JUST what you mean about clients changing the documents (1,000 times) at the most inconvenient times! I laughed out loud when you threatened to scalp her. I've had those exact same thoughts myself!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:11 AM   #73
aprilisis

Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Hey girl! Aren't the Disboards a lot "cooler" than the Intercot boards. I just feel so much more comfortable over here. I still post on Intercot but I find that people are a bit judgmental over there.

Oddball is a mix of Miniature Pinscher and who knows what. We adopted him from the animal shelter when he was just about 6 weeks old. I've got to find a recent picture of him so ya'll can see my other "child".
Yes! I feel much more comfortable posting here, too. I can't wait to see a photo of Oddball!
I love your trip report & all the time & detail you put into it. I'm looking forward to reading more!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #74
uprivermama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
It's a tradition to stop at the McDonald's in Vicksburg. I know it's not super good food but it's a tradition. What can I say?
I totally get the tradition thing. That's how family memories are made! "Remember how we always used to stop in Vicksburg...." I can't even tell you how many times we say things like that amongst my siblings when we get together now as adults. We do a little of the same thing with our Disneyland road trips. Like, we always stop in Woodburn, OR on the way down because it's the perfect distance and they have good I-5 access to restaurants and gas. And when we get to Buttonwillow, CA, I always have to pretend I have a British (probably more like a cockney) accent, and repeatedly say "Buttonwillow" with this accent. Everyone loves it! I'm sure everyone loves it as much as me!

On an aside, thanks, lisalonglash! I got my siggy fixed, and I know other people were looking for that info too!

Laundry lovingly produced by DH , DS9 : & DS 11

DL 1984, 1991, 1996, 2003, 2005, 2007
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #75
swankybeth
Loves bubble tea!
Got my internship @ WDW!
Her Prince Charming proposed with a glass slipper and rose petals

I'm in! Great start, looking forward to more.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: