Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #31
DisneymoonJess07
I <3 Disney - can I go back now??

You are totally welcome! I am so glad it worked for you! Can't wait to see what you decide - we definitely used it to plan our trip!

PTR: MAY we go to Disney? Yes we MAY! May 2014
Our Trip Report: "Say Hi to Mickey for me!" - A Disneymoon Two Years in the Making *unfinished*
Our Pre-Trip Report - 2nd Anniversary Disneymoon Sept. 2009
Booed by n2wdisneyw!
1991 - offsite , 1994 - offsite , 1996 - offsite , 1999 - ASSp , 2009 - POR! w/free dining! 2014 - ?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #32
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

The big reveal...

Well, today was the big reveal. We finally told the kids we are going to Disneyworld.

Now DH is the kind of person that just can't keep a secret, can't hold a present until a holiday, just can't wait. So I knew we'd be telling the kids soon. And now that I've we've bought our plane tickets and emptied our bank account and sent it to Disney, we knew the vacation was a "sure thing". That's all it took --- he couldn't wait any longer!

We just got back from a few days away at the beach so we decided to take the kids out for ice cream and have a "talk" with them about Christma. DH explained about the recession, how it's hitting our country hard, how that makes it harder for some people to afford things, etc. (We have been very lucky and haven't had any economic issues to contend with personally, but it was his little "get their attention" tactic.) Then we explained to them that they wouldn't be getting many presents for Christmas this year, that it just wasn't going to be possible for us (true, since we're spending our wad on WDW) so we wanted to give them a little something now.

I had a big box that said "Merry Christmas" on it and they tore it open to find 3 identically wrapped boxes with their names on them. On the count of 3 they opened their boxes to find some trading pins and a little invitation that invited them to spend a magical Christmas vacation in Disneyworld.

Well, we know how these things go. They just don't get it right away. They're like "Oh, we're going to Disneyworld. But these pins are COOL! Thanks!!!" Yes, the pins were the high point. We went to the park afterwards and the kids starting talking about WDW, how cool it was going to be, how much fun, etc. Then they started getting excited and thanking us. That was nice.

So, now they know. And now my Disney-obsessed 12yo is already reading his Disney travel guides trying to figure out the best places to have meals together. LOL

Let the detailed planning begin...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2009, 09:58 AM   #33
DisneymoonJess07
I <3 Disney - can I go back now??

That's so great that your kids are getting excited! Can't wait to hear your detailed plans!!

PTR: MAY we go to Disney? Yes we MAY! May 2014
Our Trip Report: "Say Hi to Mickey for me!" - A Disneymoon Two Years in the Making *unfinished*
Our Pre-Trip Report - 2nd Anniversary Disneymoon Sept. 2009
Booed by n2wdisneyw!
1991 - offsite , 1994 - offsite , 1996 - offsite , 1999 - ASSp , 2009 - POR! w/free dining! 2014 - ?
Old 07-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #34
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

What a neat way to tell the kids! I think that is a great idea. I also think switching to DW was a great choice! I would love to visit DLR soon, but with free dining, you can't beat that!

Sounds like a fun time!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:44 PM   #35
KGH
Mouseketeer

Hey there, hopping over to your PTR

What a geat way to tell the kiddos. I've always wondered what happens when the big suprise reveal doesn't go as planned... I love watching youtube videos of parents suprising their kids, and every once in a while I stumble across one where the kids hear the big news, give their parents a blank stare, and ask if they can go play.

And I love your daughter's name... it's always been one of my favorite names!

Next: DEC 2009 POFQ!!! FREE DINING!

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6moeteajjmr7wk.png[/img]
Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #36
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Welcome to my PTR. Thanks for stopping by!

I really wasn't expecting a huge, screaming thing from the kids. That's just not how they react. But it was nice to see the slow progression ... the realization of what was going to happen, how it would be fun for us all, how we were going to get to spend Christmastime in WDW. So they are excited, just not screaming with it. It's very much what I expected so there's no diappointment.

I will say that the kids have talked about it 10 or 15 times today. They have lots of questions, lots of requests, lots of hopes for our trip. Now if December would just get here already...
Old 07-29-2009, 06:15 PM   #37
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Obsessive Planning

I'm an obsessive planner. Always have been when it comes to Disney. Since the moment we paid for the plane tickets and I was assured that this trip was happening I have been obsessed with the DISboards. It's not like I couldn't figure it out on my own, but that the DISboards get me so excited for our trip! I just love spending hours on the boards reading about parks, rides, restaurants, etc.

I love it so much that I really given up my other pasttime, scrapbooking. I used to scrapbook hours each day and made about half of our trip money by selling rights to my designs to scrapbook magazines. I sure could use more of that money to start my next vacation account, but I just can't make myself scrap right now when I'm so excited about WDW.

I can't entirely blame this all on WDW or the DIS though. It's summer and therefore harder for me to scrap with the kids around. Plus I'm teaching summer camps this summer (this week it's science camp ) so my time is a little harder to come by. Yet when I have free time I find myself here on the DIS or writing, analyzing and rewriting our park and ADR schedule for the trip (I've written it 4 times already - and park hours aren't even released yet! LOL).

The obsession will pass, won't it? Eventually? Someday???????
Old 07-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #38
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

OK, I take it back. I have done something scrappy this summer.

Oh wait, that's Disney too! I just can't get away!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #39
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Dancing and Thinking

Today I'm doing my little happy dance. See...

... because I just paid off the rest of our trip! We have airline tickets, room and free dining taken care of. Now we just need spending money. I have 3+ months to get that in order and I'm sure it won't be a problem. I am sooooooooo looking forward to this trip!

Now I'm looking forward to planning. Which park for which day... which ADR's do I need to make... when are we taking down time... what are we doing the day we fly in and the day we fly out? I've been mulling all of this over, planning and replanning, thinking and rethinking.

Yet in the end I know it all comes down to what the schedule says and it won't be out for a few weeks yet. I only have 16 days until my ADR date, so I'm hoping the schedule comes out soon!!!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 PM   #40
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Just a quick post to celebrate that we're finally in the double digits. Only 99 days left until our trip! I'm soooooooo excited!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #41
KGH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixleyyy View Post
Just a quick post to celebrate that we're finally in the double digits. Only 99 days left until our trip! I'm soooooooo excited!!!

WHOO HOOOOOO!!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #42
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

A Dining We Will Go...

It's been a few days since I made our ADR's and I'm finally rested enough to post. ADR's open online at 3am our time so I stayed up to make them. Of course, then I couldn't get exactly what I wanted so I had to reorganize which days we're going to which parks and make more ADR's. Then I called at 4am our time to see if I could get a F! package (no luck there). In the end it took a little over an hour to get it all over and done with. I'm pretty happy with what we have. Here's our list:
Dec 3 Plaza lunch
Dec 4 Sci-Fi lunch
Dec 5 nothing... (wanted Le Cellier lunch or early dinner but no luck - I'm going to keep looking)
Dec 6 Akershus breakfast, Le Cellier lunch
Dec 7 Mama Melrose lunch
Dec 8 Chef Mickeys dinner
Dec 9 Plaza lunch
Old 10-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #43
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Long time, no update...

I realize that it's been a while since I've updated - partly because the mods but this in the "completed TR" forum (which doesn't allow you to post) and partly because life is busier again.

School started for the kids, which means school started for me. I have 24 new preschoolers to keep up with and am even hosting a 2's playgroup once a week at the preschool. Add that to the kids activities (Taekwondo, swimming, cheer and scouts) and time is just flying past.

The boys have also recently celebrated birthdays. Tristan turned 11 and was excited to receive a Flip Video Camera for his birthday. Yes, there was an ulterior motive here. He wanted the camera but I wanted him to have the chance to take videos at WDW.

He also just earned his green belt in Taekwondo, a big accomplishment for him.
[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_D-iZ4TjIrvc/SrMeEBht_**/AAAAAAAABqQ/BSwPATZpJlk/s400/DSC_0230.jpg[/IMG]

Chase turned the BIG 13 last month and he is SOOOOOO excited to be a teenager! He also started middle school so it's been a big transition, especially since he has the pressure of taking high school Algebra, (he's my super-smart-TAG kid) which will go on his high school transcript. But he's taking it all in stride and loving middle school. Oh, and he's buried in homework at mid-school so we got him a laptop for his birthday. Hopefully it will be useful and taken care of. So far so good.

Brian and I celebrated our 15th anniversary last month. We really wanted a big getaway for our 15th but decided WDW with the family was more of a priority. So we just snuck away for a night at the beach - just the two of us. We usually camp when we go to the beach but did splurge for the luxury of a hotel.

Oh, and not to leave Carissa out I should mention that she and two good friends got free tickets to see Miley Cyrus. It was the first concert of her new tour and it was pretty great. Yes, I went with them even though I know only one Miley song. But it was great to watch them all enjoy their first concert. Carissa is the one on the left, not in a Miley shirt (they cost $35 there!).

Now, on to the Disney news. DH and I had a chat the other day about my plan for WDW and he surprised me by wanting to discuss some changes to our itinerary. I had originally planned on doing a long (open to Illuminations end) day at Epcot and then sleeping in the next day. But he reminded me that even though I planned that it's likely that we wouldn't sleep in. So we made different plans, shifted things around and changed some ADRs. So now we have a schedule we can live with.

Our new ADR schedule is:
Wednesday: Arrive and relax. Maybe hit DTD
Thursday: MK AM EMH, lunch @ Plaza
Friday: AK, no ADRs
Saturday: DHS AM EMH, lunch @ Sci-Fi
Sunday: Epcot, late breakfast @ Akershus, late lunch @ Le Cellier, stay for Illuminations
Monday: DHS, lunch @ Mama Melrose, dinner @ Planet Hollywood
Tuesday: our open day. Whichever park we feel we need more time in (I'm thinking Epcot but we'll see). Dinner @ Chef Mickey's
Wednesday: MK, lunch @ Plaza, stay for Spectro and Wishes
Thursday: Magic Kingdom until noon, when we'll have to leave to catch DME about 1pm.

Oh, and the other fun thing is that we bought RideMax for this trip. It doesn't have December hours added yet, but we've had fun just playing around in the November hours and seeing how it works. I'm excited to try it for the first time.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #44
KGH
Mouseketeer

Ridemax... I forgot about that! I was thinking about trying that out. Do you find that it is easy to use?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #45
pixleyyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGH View Post
Ridemax... I forgot about that! I was thinking about trying that out. Do you find that it is easy to use?
Yes, it's very easy to use and I like that it figures it out for me. I've been on here enough that I'd have a really good idea of when to do what but this saves me the time and effort. So far I really like it, but we'll see exactly how it works when we're there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: