Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
dreweyj
Mouseketeer

New to DISboards and Disney World!

I am new to the DISboards and to Disney! I have never been to Disney World (or any Disney park for that matter) and I can't wait! I am so pumped!

I am taking my significant other for his birthday as a surprise. I already bought some personalized apparel to wear at the parks and a Disney backpack for the occassion (all wrapped up of course to surprise him when we leave for the airport)! I thought I might as well go all out for his special occassion! We will be staying 7 nights at the POR resort. I have bought extras like tickets to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and a personalized birthday cake for when we see the Hoop-Dee-Doo Revue!

Also, I am getting the birthday package from the Disney charaters where they leave presents in the room! I have also purchased some pins on Ebay and a couple lanyards to begin trading. I made sure I bought them from legit sellers thanks to this board! Anyway, he will be so surprised... but can anyone recommend a tour to add? Something moderately priced (around $200 or less) that's definitely not doldrum and won't take a whole day?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! And thanks to everyone for this wonderful board. I'm new to the whole "magic of Disney" but I can't wait to get there!

Andrew
dreweyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Hi and welcome!

We just got back on Wednesday from a week at the Polynesian. It was an amazing vacation for all of us.

If neither of you have ever been there before, I wouldn't spring for a tour; there's more than enough to keep you occupied in the 4 main parks.

Probably the best piece of advice I can give you is to do your homework ahead of time. (Hey, I'm a teacher. It's what we do )

-Know which rides and attractions you really want to see
-Know what a fastpass is, how it works, that it's free, and know how to best use it to your advantage.
- Know when "rope drop" (park opening) is for the days you'll be there, and BE AT THE PARKS for rope drop.That first hour of touring is absolute golden. Don't miss it!
- Make any ADRs for restaurants ASAP. Some that my family particularly enjoyed were the Coral Reef, Le Cellier, and Yak and Yetti. But take a look at the menus at www.allears.net and see what you're likely to enjoy. Take a look at the meal plan and see whether it will save you money.
- Have a plan for approaching the parks. Take a look at the sample plans at www.touringplans.com for ideas. We were there with horrendous crowds yet didn't wait more than 15 minutes for any ride all week. It's possible, you just have to do that homework!!!

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
SFBayDon
D23 Charter Member and LOVING every minute of it

Welcome to the boards!
I posted a link to your thread on another board for others to help with suggestions.
Good Luck,
Don
SFBayDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Welcome. I think any of the behind the scenes tours are really nice but as another person pointed out, if its your first time at Disney, you're probably going to be overwhelmed with just visiting all the parks, shops, etc.

Personally we enjoyed the Behind the Seeds Tour at Epcot. My partner loves growing vegetables (we have a hydroponic garden) and found the tour very interesting, plus we got to try some organically/hydroponically grown vegetables. It was a fairly short tour (~30 minutes) and didn't cost all that much.

Most of the tours are fairly inexpensive unless you step up to a full day or private/VIP type tour.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Disneydonnam
DIS VETERAN

Welcome. Have an awesome trip.
Disneydonnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #7
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Just a word of warning: the Magic of Steam Engines tour has been cancelled indefinitely in the wake of July's monorail accident. The roundhouse that's part of the tour is being used to house the monorails involved. There's no word on when it will begin again.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
OrlandoMike
all I can say is beer hurts when it comes out of your nose!
I don't think we hijacked Halloween, we just do a better job at it!

Mr. Mike, plain ole head

DISboards Moderator

I am hearing mid September for the return of the Steam train tours....
OrlandoMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
insoin

DIS Veteran

Welcome to the boards!

I also liked the behind the seeds tour at Living With the Land. It is only about $20 so really cheap and not long at all. You get a much better look at the green houses and even if you are not into gardening its still a neat tour to take.

Also if you really wanted to do a tour, the Keys to the Kingdom tour at the Magic Kingdom is really neat. But it takes half the day, and is about $65 per person. There are discounts if you have AAA, an Annual Pass.

However as others pointed out, this being your first time, it may be to much to take the Keys to the Kingdom.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
jenn&nelsonrego
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP Happiness is marrying someone you can annoy for the rest of your life!

My DH and I really liked the Keys to the Kingdom tour.

I cannot remember exactly how long it was but it was great. I think our start time was 8:30 a.m. and we ended around 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. We learned alot of little things about the great amount of detailing behind the Magic Kingdom. Our tour guide was wonderful!

The price was very reasonable (look into an AP, DVC, Disney Visa discount if you have one of those) and it included lunch. When we went on the tour last year, lunch was at the Columbia Harbor House which was great because we have never heard of it and enjoyed it so much we ended up back there for lunch 3 times on our last trip in June/July.

It sounds like you have so many awesome things planned. My biggest suggestion is that you take it slowly and don't try to see everything... It is not only impossible, but it will make your trip very exhausting.

Have fun!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
RNtheRN
Real men love Disney World

Warm Greetings and Welcome Home!! You will LOVE the Disboards!!
DVC Memeber since 2005
RNtheRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM   #12
bubie2.5
Oh, so that's what a tag fairie does
She has everything a villain needs... she's mean and looks like someone I know ;-)
I need help in the kitchen. I can't even boil water

Welcome. How about the Segway Tour at Epcot?
bubie2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #13
MarkinNM
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!

MarkinNM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1st time, birthday, newbie, question, tour