Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,568

Hicks on Holiday 3: "2nd Biggest Rodent We Ever Seen" Update 7/6/10

Yes my friends, batten down your trailer and hold on to your false teeth,
the Hicks are back, and bigger than ever!


We will be heading to WDW on 8/29, arriving 8/30,
and staying at All Star Sports for 7 days, 8 nights, with free dining.

We're Hicks, even though both our vehicles run,
and our house has only one color siding,
and Dh and I are in no way "blood" related to each other.

Having a big family makes us also a bit of a freak show.
But I digress.

Come meet our cast of "Characters":

Me: 41 year old Disney Trip Obsessive Planner and Fan,
amazingly 17 weeks pregnant with our 8th little Disney Fan.
Yeah, you read that right.

DH/John: 39 yo Automotive Manufacturing Manager who wants to be Indiana Jones, or a Ninja.
And has trained for both. Denies his Geek-ness.
Takes us to WDW to keep me happy. [Sigh, I love him!]

DisneyGirl: 15yo dd. Co-planned the trip,
because she's as OC as I am when it comes to Disney.
Feels I have not packed enough yet.

The Chef: 13yo ds. Looking forward to free food.
Starting to enjoy the roller coasters.

DangerBoy: 10 yo ds. Loves to live life on the edge...
except at Disney. Won't ride anything Grandma won't ride. LOL

The Inquisitor: 8 yo ds. Has a LOT of questions about everything.
Digs Disney Transportation in all forms.

Princess K: 6 yo dd. Excited to be tall enough to ride a lot of things,
and is a bit braver than her older brothers.

Bitsy: 5 yo dd. Tall enough to ride some good things this time,
waiting to see those princesses.

Babycakes: 3 yo dd. Doesn't remember our last trip,
so everything is exciting and new at "Dizeewald."

Grandma/Mom: My 70 yo mom,
who shocked us all by agreeing to go back with us.
We think she might need a break from the full time care of her 97 yo mother in law.
Grandpa/Dad will be staying home with Great-Grandma.

Bionic SIL: John's 30-something sister.
She is looking forward to her second trip to WDW.

Pocohontas Jr: 12 yo niece. Wants to meet Snow White,
who eluded us last time.

Stitch Jr: 10 yo nephew, and best friend of DangerBoy.
Loves the thrill rides.

So that's my little introduction.
I'm hoping to post our itinerary, and some thoughts as we pack and pack,
and, oh yeah, pack. LOL


Thanks for reading!

First Day Traveling updated 9/16
Travel Day 2
more travelling...we arrive at WDW!
Park Day #1 - MK part 1
MK day #1 part 2
MK day #1 part 3?
MK day #1 part 4 updated 6/29/10
AK Part 1 updated 7/6/10

Last edited by DisneyMom5; 07-06-2010 at 02:02 PM.
DisneyMom5 is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
akayek31
DIS Veteran
 
akayek31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,048

OMG Congratulations!! That is exciting news. I bet you are excited to be back in WDW in 10 days. Can't wait to read more.
__________________
ME 42 DS 21 DD 17 DDBF 20

1985-Day trip, 7/08-offsite, 5/09 Pop Century, 2/11-Pop Century,9/11-Pop Century, 2/12-Pop Century, 10/12-Pop Century, 2/13-Pop Century, 2/14-Pop Century, 10/14-Pop Century

akayek31 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #3
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran
 
FairyGodmotherJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,161

I'm here! Can't wait!

(I have to do all my DIS-ing on nights I don't have things to do for school - which started a week ago, thank you - I'm not really stalking you.)

__________________
me (Jen) dh: dd ds ds

October 2012 Trip report


FairyGodmotherJen is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
whogirl'smom
Any leftover grumpiness can be taken care of by a little wine
Like a box of Cheez-its, I couldn't put it down
 
whogirl'smom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 3,253

Where will you be feedin' the young'uns this time?
__________________
whogirl'smom whogirl'sdad whogirl Morris


whogirl'smom is offline  
Old 08-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
micandminforever
DIS Veteran
 
micandminforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Small Town, N.W. Ga.
Posts: 2,142

Signing on to another hicks adventure. I can't wait to see pictures of how much the kids have grown in two years.

Congratulations on expecting the new addition to the family.
__________________
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline  
Old 08-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by akayek31 View Post
OMG Congratulations!! That is exciting news. I bet you are excited to be back in WDW in 10 days. Can't wait to read more.
Thanks for the kind words! We are rather excited. Weren't sure at my "advanced maternal age" that it might happen again, so we're not taking this one for granted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
I'm here! Can't wait!

(I have to do all my DIS-ing on nights I don't have things to do for school - which started a week ago, thank you - I'm not really stalking you.)

Stalk away. LOL
You know you're always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micandminforever View Post
Signing on to another hicks adventure. I can't wait to see pictures of how much the kids have grown in two years.

Congratulations on expecting the new addition to the family.
Thanks!
We've been commenting how much they have grown, The Chef being the one with the MOST growth! Taller than his sister now. Sigh.

I think I got the last of our travel groceries today. [I'm sure we'll think of SOMETHING else before next week!]

Thanks for reading!
DisneyMom5 is offline  
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogirl'smom View Post
Where will you be feedin' the young'uns this time?
I had a whole page-long reply done yesterday, and accidently hit some key and lost it all.

So here goes again:

Our dining plans -

8/30 - SIL will be flying and arriving in the a.m. They're spending the day at DTD, so will be eating at Planet Hollywood.

We'll be pulling into Sports around supper time, so will be eating there.

8/31 - MK Day
Breakfast - Crystal Palace before opening.

Dinner - Liberty Tree Tavern.

9/1 - AK Day (SIL is going to Water Park.)
Lunch - Tusker House (new for us)

Dinner - Kids and Mom and SIL's bunch at Sports
John and I are having a date night at Epcot, so will find something there.

9/2 - Epcot Day
Lunch - Sunshine Seasons
Dinner - 'Ohana (new)

9/3 - DHS Day
Counter service all day

9/4 - MK Day
Breakfast - Chef Mickey's
Dinner - 1900 Park Faire (new)

9/5 - SIL leaves; Epcot/DHS day
Lunch - Biergarten
Dinner - CS

9/6 - MK/Epcot day
Lunch - CS
Dinner - Rose and Crown

9/7 - Epcot/MK day
Lunch - Le Cellier
Dinner - CS

9/8 Leave WDW

This plan was complicated by: 1) our party's size,
because we couldn't get into Tutto Italia with a large group.
You have to call them directly, and they said they wouldn't take my phone call for my Sept. ressie until AUGUST!!!
A few days later I tried again through Disney Dining, and there was nothing left for a party of 13. Sigh.
2) My SIL only got base passes. So no hopping the days she's there. We worked around it.
3) The remaining days we only wanted to eat at Epcot, but didn't want to spend three whole days at Epcot. So a LOT of hopping going on those days.

But...it all worked out.

Really getting excited, only a few more days!
DisneyMom5 is offline  
Old 08-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
micandminforever
DIS Veteran
 
micandminforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Small Town, N.W. Ga.
Posts: 2,142

Your dinning plans sound wonderful.
__________________
One day trips with Family 1972,1973, 1976, Honeymoon off site June 1985, Off site June 1986, Off site June 1989, Grand Floridian June 1992, Wilderness Lodge June 1995, Dixie Landing(POR) April 1997, Hilton at Downtown Disney April 2000, Beach Club June 2003, POFQ June 2005, Pop Century Dec. 2005, Pop Century Jan. 2006, Pop Century Sept. 2007, POFQ Jan. 2009, Pop Century Sept 2009, BLT 25th Anniversary Trip June 2010, CBR March 2011, PORS Sept. 2012, Pop Century Jan. 2013
micandminforever is offline  
Old 08-21-2009, 04:41 PM   #9
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran
 
FairyGodmotherJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,161

Oh, I think you'll have a blast!! Can't wait to hear about a few of them - esp. 1900 Park Faire for dinner. We're going to be trying that one in June. And a few you have are among our favorites - Chef Mickey's and 'Ohana (it doesn't always get wonderful reviews, but we enjoyed it in 2007 and the entertainment meant the adults had a fairly hassle-free dinner) are great.

Ok, I'm asking for advice again...I'd bet I could get some info from you on good restaurants for large groups. I think we'll be 16 strong on our trip... Fun, but what a crowd!!! And SIL and I are in charge of planning it all, including dining (we'll be on the dining plan despite the price increase, I think). I know a few places that will work, but not enough And I think that, since we're all family (on one side or another), we'll want to eat together most nights.
__________________
me (Jen) dh: dd ds ds

October 2012 Trip report


FairyGodmotherJen is offline  
Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
Oh, I think you'll have a blast!! Can't wait to hear about a few of them - esp. 1900 Park Faire for dinner. We're going to be trying that one in June. And a few you have are among our favorites - Chef Mickey's and 'Ohana (it doesn't always get wonderful reviews, but we enjoyed it in 2007 and the entertainment meant the adults had a fairly hassle-free dinner) are great.

Ok, I'm asking for advice again...I'd bet I could get some info from you on good restaurants for large groups. I think we'll be 16 strong on our trip... Fun, but what a crowd!!! And SIL and I are in charge of planning it all, including dining (we'll be on the dining plan despite the price increase, I think). I know a few places that will work, but not enough And I think that, since we're all family (on one side or another), we'll want to eat together most nights.
Grand Gatherings is great for helping you set up dining. A few restaurants make you call them direct, and that didn't work out for us (Tutto Italia and Garden Grill were the two a ran into.)
Otherwise, most restaurants can accodate big crowds. They might put you at 2 8-tops next to each other. We usually just throw the big kids at the other table.

The suggested to us to try to get seating close to either opening or closing of that particular meal, such as an early or really late lunch.

We've taken 10+ people to:
Crystal Palace
LTT
Chef M's
Le Cellier
Biergarten
Norway's Princess Breakfast
Rose and Crown
Hollywood and Vine....

I think that's it.

Like I said, the CMs at GG are really helpful.

Hope that helps!
DisneyMom5 is offline  
Old 08-22-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
SilverL
My DH thinks he's Tarzan and I'm Jane. Go figure!
 
SilverL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Long Beach, Wa.
Posts: 410

Wow, 13 people? That's going to be a crazy, crazy trip! We went with 10 one time. Parents thought they should've brought leashes, LOL!

I'm looking forward to your TR!
__________________


Shawna (Me): Matthew (DH): (both in early 20's) | 8/01, 1/03, 9/07: Off Site w/family | 9/15/09-9/23/09: Pop Century Disneymoon w/DH!
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m6b514zwo2i71.png[/img]
Read my Pre-Trip Report : DISNEYMOON: "Honey, you didn't list underwear!"
SilverL is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
FairyGodmotherJen
DIS Veteran
 
FairyGodmotherJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,161

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
Grand Gatherings is great for helping you set up dining. A few restaurants make you call them direct, and that didn't work out for us (Tutto Italia and Garden Grill were the two a ran into.)
Otherwise, most restaurants can accodate big crowds. They might put you at 2 8-tops next to each other. We usually just throw the big kids at the other table.

The suggested to us to try to get seating close to either opening or closing of that particular meal, such as an early or really late lunch.

We've taken 10+ people to:
Crystal Palace
LTT
Chef M's
Le Cellier
Biergarten
Norway's Princess Breakfast
Rose and Crown
Hollywood and Vine....

I think that's it.

Like I said, the CMs at GG are really helpful.

Hope that helps!
Thanks! We've thought of several of those, so we're on the right track. Now I have to go look up menus...

How many more days? You're getting close, aren't you? The suitcases are probably out...
__________________
me (Jen) dh: dd ds ds

October 2012 Trip report


FairyGodmotherJen is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverL View Post
Wow, 13 people? That's going to be a crazy, crazy trip! We went with 10 one time. Parents thought they should've brought leashes, LOL!

I'm looking forward to your TR!
We left crazy in the dust about 5 kids ago. LOL
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGodmotherJen View Post
Thanks! We've thought of several of those, so we're on the right track. Now I have to go look up menus...

How many more days? You're getting close, aren't you? The suitcases are probably out...
We leave Sat.
I'm about 75% packed, and can pack a few more things tomorrow.
We're trying to pin down all the last minute stuff.
DisneyMom5 is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #14
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran
 
reyasmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,729

WOW!! What an adventure you're going to have!

And to be 17 weeks pregnant on top of it! I'm currently 24 weeks along and couldn't imagine being at WDW in my condition. I would hate to miss most of my favorite rides and walking around in that heat. I know a LOT of pregnant women do it and love it though.

Congratulations on your latest addition! And I hope you have a fabulous time!
__________________
reyasmommy is offline  
Old 08-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyasmommy View Post
WOW!! What an adventure you're going to have!

And to be 17 weeks pregnant on top of it! I'm currently 24 weeks along and couldn't imagine being at WDW in my condition. I would hate to miss most of my favorite rides and walking around in that heat. I know a LOT of pregnant women do it and love it though.

Congratulations on your latest addition! And I hope you have a fabulous time!
Thanks, I'm a little aprehensive, but we're just planning on taking it slow. My mom does pretty well, but isn't getting any younger, and my SIL has recovered from a major accident, but still has bad knees, and my son has some special needs due to an accident, so we're not a sprinting kind of family to begin with.

I'll be 18 weeks on this Wed., so turning 19 while there. Already looking big and pregnant. LOL

I was 8 weeks pregnant with #5 when we went in '04, but needed to sit out with our 10 mo at the time, so didn't mind so much.

This time probably will be keeping my mom and my 3 yo company. And anyone else who is too chicken to ride. LOL

Thanks for reading!
DisneyMom5 is offline  
 



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
**UK Community Holiday Chart** mandymouse UK Community Board 612 06-14-2014 02:44 PM
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report - 1,500 pictures, dining reviews, and DISmeets! alan_renfroe Completed Trip Reports 1275 01-31-2010 10:13 AM
DVC 7th Year Christmas Tree Sharing a Little Holiday Magic. wdwstar DVC-Mousecellaneous 484 01-25-2010 05:43 PM
*** Happy Holidays in WDW - November & December 2009 - DIS / DVC Member List *** TheDISneyFamily DVC-Mousecellaneous 400 11-12-2009 08:08 PM
Crazy peak holiday rates = split stay? Please help me decide what to do! olive Disney Resorts 10 08-19-2009 09:15 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: