Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #16
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Whoa! First day, and it looks amazing already! The view from that "scenic chair lift" look spectacular. What a gorgeous area. You've gotten some gorgeous pictures there! (And being me, I *love* the closeup of the flowers!)

Were the binoculars decent binoculars? I bought some small Eddie Bauer binocs, but I'm wondering, assuming we'd get them on the Alaska trip also, if I should leave mine at home... oh, well, they are small, and if there's only one pair per room, maybe they'd come in handy. We shall see.

I'm looking forward to it!!!!

Looking forward to more report!

Sayhello
Did I mention I took about 700 pictures? The scenery was breathtaking the entire trip.

The binocs are 'decent'. I must admit we didn't use them for anything other than looking our of our hotel room. Other families used theirs more. Thanks for checking in. You're going on the Alaska trip??? Be sure to tell us how it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyrehc View Post
More!! More!! I need more!! We leave on Thurs. to head out west. We start in Vegas and continue on to Grand Canyon and keep heading north until we check in with Disney. Your trip report is absolutely awesome!! You are really getting me excited about the ABD portion of our trip. I was getting a little nervous when I read the posts that have been coming lately but you have put my fears to rest. You are a wonderful photographer. I may end up trying to "steal" some of your photos if you don't mind. Please finish your report by Thurs. I am Sooooooo looking forward to the rest of what you write!
I'm blushing about the photog comments Feel free to use anything you want. I was nervous too before the trip after reading some comments. Our experience was wonderful. I'll try and post a bunch tomorrow so you can get even MORE fired up for your trip!! Thanks for reading and for your kind comments!
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #17
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGrumpy View Post
Ok I am not looking anymore after today!

I am getting so excited! I feel like a kid at xmas like your parents telling you not to peak in the closet when you know darn well there are xmas presents in there!!

It's going to be VERY hard!!!
I'll miss you. Let me know how you liked your Adventure when you get back!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
Did I mention I took about 700 pictures? The scenery was breathtaking the entire trip.

The binocs are 'decent'. I must admit we didn't use them for anything other than looking our of our hotel room. Other families used theirs more. Thanks for checking in. You're going on the Alaska trip??? Be sure to tell us how it is!
700 pictures? Sounds like me and SWS. I took upwards of 800 pics... And yes, I'm going on the Alaska trip in 2 weeks! I leave Sep 1. And rest assured, I will write an in-depth PHOTO-FILLED Trip Report all about it when I get back!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
700 pictures? Sounds like me and SWS. I took upwards of 800 pics... And yes, I'm going on the Alaska trip in 2 weeks! I leave Sep 1. And rest assured, I will write an in-depth PHOTO-FILLED Trip Report all about it when I get back!

Sayhello
GREAT! I'll be able to get my ABD fix vicariously through your upcoming trip!!
Old 08-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Your pics and report are awesome, can't wait to see more!!!!!!!!!
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #21
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Western Majesty

Morning on our own with a breakfast buffet
Woke up and went down to our private room for a nice breakfast buffet (served from 7 am to 9 am) Daniel and Landon were there the entire time. DS1 never did make it down but his loving parents grabbed him two muffins. One muffin actually made it to his room. OK DH had a craving for a yummy poppyseed muffin and wasn't responsible for his actions. DS2 enjoyed the buffet with us. Scrambled eggs with melted cheese, link sausage, muffins, pastry, and pancakes. Cold cereal too. Juice, milk, coffee and tea. I of course asked for and received Diet Pepsi

We went to visit the Jackson Hole Museum right behind our hotel. VERY interesting to young and old alike. We arrived after 1000 (after DS1 consumed his muffin) and only had about 45 minutes until we met our ABD group for lunch. We really needed more time here. I think for our entire family the entry fee was $9.00. Don't let it's humble exterior deter you!

We all recommend spending time at this museum for part of your 'free time'.

Met in the lobby of the Wort at 11:15 for our lunch at the Jackson Hole Playhouse. We lingered a bit waiting for all the families to arrive and finally left without a family. They had tried to squeeze in the Snow King festivities and didn't allow enough time.

Lunch at Jackson Hole Playhouse
One of the aspects of the trip we enjoyed the most was the exclusivity of our events. Our ABD group was the only group having lunch at the playhouse.

We received a bit of history of the playhouse. All the people working there were singers/actors who also served in the restaurant. It was very enjoyable and delicious. Like the boot glasses?
We ate in the saloon:

While we were eating lunch the cast would break out in song! All had really nice voices. Here is our waitress Mallory who was also playing one of the leads in their production of Grease.

Now as a mother of a teen I about died (in a good way) when Mallory broke into 'Crazy' which is one of my favorite Patsy Kline songs and started to sing it to my sons. DS2 took it pretty well. DS1 turned 15 shades of red and hid his face! I captured the moment on video for posterity. Can't wait to pull that out later...I then had a discussion about the importance of not taking life too seriously (for all who remember Stripes the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, "lighten up Francis") The next time he was the object of a love song he was much more congenial!

OK - remember the pickle request? Well DS2 did indeed receive a pickle with his burger. Landon had gone and purchased a jar to be shared by all. He even checked in with DS2 to see if he liked it. Might I recommend the sweet potato fries???? YUMMMMM-a-Licious! Our lunch started with salad and rolls followed by our entree selection (when Landon took our order the day before). HUGE PORTIONS.

Beef sandwich for me (I didn't eat the yummy bun):

DH and DS2 had buffalo burgers, DS1 a regular burger. Here is DH's lunch entree:

DH was the object of our finale song. After my speech to our son he was a great sport! Here is my DH setting a good example of being able to laugh at yourself:

After ordering a 'little' portion of chocolate moose we needed to go back to the Wort to get ready for our rafting adventure!

We gave the Jackson Hole Playhouse (out of 4)

NEXT UP: ABD hits the white water
Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 PM   #22
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkistevej View Post
Your pics and report are awesome, can't wait to see more!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I was just posting day 2 and am now off to do part II. Thanks for taking the time to read it. Hope you enjoy the rest
Old 08-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Whoa! That lunch just looks like a ton of fun! And glad DH was such a good sport. And you went rafting after that? I'd be afraid I'd sink after a lunch like that!

Still loving this report! You're a photojournalist after my own heart!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #24
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Rafting the Snake River

Disney Difference aka 'Why do we pay big bucks for ABD?'

Did I mention that I'm usually the one planning our trips? One of the HUGE advantages of this trip for me was the assurance of knowing ABD has check out all the contracted excursions. We met in the lobby dressed and ready for our rafting adventure. We were met outside the lobby by a bus (think school bus) to take us to our 'put in' area. It was about a 40 minute bus ride but very scenic. We did make a quick stop at the Barker-Ewing office and were able to rent water shoes if needed. We also picked up a few people (about 8) to take them to the rafting spot. They were not with our group in the rafts. Plenty of time to apply sun screen on the bus!

Equipment needed/suggested: Water shoes or shoes with a back. Lots of Keen shoes and water shoes. NO flip flops. My guys wore t-shirts. Most families had water shirts (material that was quick dry) so you wouldn't be rubbed by the life vests. I brought along my trusty Olympus Stylus 790SW which is a nice little water and shock proof digital camera for the excursion.

Here is my family ready to shoot the rapids:

DH and I have done quite a bit of rafting back in the day (OK, when we were young and didn't have the boys yet) We were really happy with the quality of the Snake River. The river moved right along and the rapids were challenging enough to be fun but not so much I was a-feared for the life of my kids The scenery was BREATHTAKING. Here a are just a few to whet your appetite:

Ian was our guide and was quite pleased with our group. He had had a morning excursion with 'lilly dippers' which is raftin' lingo for they didn't put their paddles in the water with much oomph. Our boys were in the front. When Ian said 'all forward' the guys dug in and we followed. Ian said it was great that the raft actually lurched forward when we paddled. All puffy chested our group of adventurers paddled like we meant it!

All forward!

The Snake River this day was a mix of class II and III rapids. The biggest being 'The Big Kahuna' There were two industrious companies that were kind enough to take our picture shooting this rapid. I was happy to cough up $80 for the CD of the images and $25 for a DVD clip. Both were waiting for us when we got home. I was quite pleased with both. The DVD had the clip and then had it in slow motion with 'Wipe out' playing. Don't you think these are priceless?? The look on my guys' faces says it all.

Wahoo!

Everyone still in the raft and ready for the next wave:

HOKEY SMOKES!!!!

DSs both fell into the raft (go team) and DS2 was still paddling!

Those brave enough did have the opportunity to hop over the side and 'swim' in the Snake River. Everyone but the moms took Ian up on it. The water was chilly. Luckily the day was just beautiful and the gang that decided to go swimming warmed up back in the raft.

Here are the guys with Ian at the end of our journey. both sons proclaimed this the highlight of their trip.

So we commenced our first 'hike'. It was a good 15 minute walk up hill to the bus. At the end of the hike we were greeted by Landon and Daniel with bottled water and towels. We all were excited and enjoyed the bus ride back to the Wort. Daniel explained our agenda for the next day before we got off the bus.

We showered and then headed to The Merry Piglet for dinner. It featured Tex-Mex food and a fun atmosphere. We had about a 20 minute wait to be seated. The chips and salsa were delish! (Notice the empty basket) We ordered the appetizer sampler and with that and the chips we probably didn't need dinner entrees. We ordered them none the less. We would recommend this to you for dinner on your own.
Here we are (aka 'the thirsty family')

Breakfast on day 3 was early! We needed to have our bags packed and outside the room at 0715 so we didn't stay out late. We were informed that our next two stops did NOT have television. The boys headed back to their rooms for an ESPN fix. DH and I wandered around town and he purchased a fine hat. We turned in fairly early. Did I mention we had chocolate on our pillows with the turn-down service?? YUM again!

Next up: Yellowstone Journey

Last edited by tksbaskets; 08-16-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: can you believe I forgot to mention something??
Old 08-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #25
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Whoa! That lunch just looks like a ton of fun! And glad DH was such a good sport. And you went rafting after that? I'd be afraid I'd sink after a lunch like that!

Still loving this report! You're a photojournalist after my own heart!

Sayhello
It's a mutual admiration society! I loved your SWS trip report.

I'm glad you are following along with us. No worries about sinking like a stone after lunch! The life jackets were quite sturdy
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #26
Gwene65
Minnie Brown
Always a bridesmaid

Making Dreams Come True Everyday

Great Job!!

This trip report is great! The pictures are top notch and your descriptions make me want to go on this adventure; and you're only on day 2!!

Can't wait for more.
Gwene65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #27
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwene65 View Post
This trip report is great! The pictures are top notch and your descriptions make me want to go on this adventure; and you're only on day 2!!

Can't wait for more.
Hi Gwene65! Thank you for your kind words I'm having fun re-living our trip. Plenty more to go. Just wait until you hear what happened to my camera on the next day

I highly recommend this adventure! Hope you enjoy the rest of my trip report.
TK
Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 PM   #28
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Best trip report I've read by far!!! You're an awesome story-teller, and the pictures of the raft trip are excellent. I have been contemplating this trip with my daughter, and you just might have sold me by your trip report alone. If I book, I will tell them to give YOU the commission! Can't wait for more stories!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #29
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK1 View Post
Best trip report I've read by far!!! You're an awesome story-teller, and the pictures of the raft trip are excellent. I have been contemplating this trip with my daughter, and you just might have sold me by your trip report alone. If I book, I will tell them to give YOU the commission! Can't wait for more stories!
Aren't you sweet I'm glad you are enjoying my report. I write in a journal each day when we are on vacation so the memories stay fresh. I think you and your daughter would really enjoy this adventure. There were kids of all ages on our trip and they all seemed to love it! More tomorrow.

My pillow is calling and I have to work tomorrow. More tomorrow night I hope!

TK
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #30
kayla87
Mouseketeer

I'm so glad I stumbled across this! Your report makes me miss Wyoming; I'll just have to experience it through your pictures! I can't wait to read more
kayla87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: