Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Hubby & Prego do Disney in August! - Final Thoughts (5/25)

Hey all and welcome aboard!
For a tiny bit of information about me: my name is Amanda, I currently teach middle school history and just finished (as in a couple of weeks ago!) my Master's degree. My DH and I celebrated our first anniversary in June, but since we were both in classes, we decided we could celebrate in August (kind of double whammy). One a side note, Johnny (commonly referred to as "J") and I met in grad school a couple of years ago and we've been together ever since!
Info about J: he is also a history teacher (but teaches high school level at a private school). J finished his Master's but decided to go for his PhD. Have fun with that one, babe!
One more thing which brought a "slight" change of plans. J and I received some surprising (yet wonderful) news in early June. Turns out that I'm pregnant!! Granted we had started trying, things just happened a little sooner than we planned. No big deal cause we were still going to Disney and were both going to have a great time!!
So my sweet hubby and I just returned from our wonderful week at Disney...and I'm ready to go back!! It was J's first trip and this would be a test to see if he would want to return. Feel free to check out my Pre-Trip Report here for more details!

Anyway, on to our trip!
Day 1, August 9 - the night before we both tried to go to sleep around 9:30 or so since we had an early flight. Also keep in mind we decided to host a garage sale with my mom that Saturday! I don't know what we were thinking since we were also finishing up graduate courses for the summer. Oh well, it worked out. We got some extra spending $$$ and we both got A's in our class! So we were both in wonderful moods!
Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well. Too excited!! My alarm was set to go off at 4:30am so we could be ready to leave by 6. But I was up by 3 and just sat there in bed. Finally I got up at 4:15 to do a last bit of cleaning and get organized. J was soon up (guess I wasn't exactly quiet). He then went to water the yard and take our two boys on a walk. We had a friend of mine from work that was going to doggie/house sit, but we didn't expect her to walk the pups, they can be a handful!
My dad came to pick us up before 6 and of course we weren't ready. In fact we didn't leave until 6:10. Now, normally I would have been freaking out cause I'm one of those people that likes to get to the airport really early and our flight was scheduled to leave at 7:45. I couldn't tell if J was worried or not, but I was completely cool cause I had a little surprise in store...
As an added bonus for our trip, I upgraded us (for a small fee) to BUSINESS CLASS! So we had virtually no wait and were on the front row of the plane!! It was a nice little surprise for J! We literally walked into the airport, walked to our gate and it was time to board!!
The flight went by fairly quickly. Once we landed J grabbed our carry-on items then we were outta there!!! First off the plane and my goal was to beat the crowd to Magical Express, which we did, hehe!
The wait for DME was not long at all and then we were on the bus!

J was wwwaaaayyyy more patient than me!
"Are we there yet?!"

Finally! We're home!!!

We pulled up and I almost started crying! But I was able to keep it together as J told me I should head to the lobby (there were quite a few people on the bus going to the Boardwalk). I walked inside and it was awesome!!

Check in was pretty smooth! There was a new guy working, Noel and he seemed pretty nervous. I felt bad for him cause he was sweating all over the place! Poor guy! But, our room was ready!! So we headed up and I was floored! It was gorgeous!!!

Check out our view!!

Up next, we're heading to Downtown Disney for some shopping!!

Day 1 Continued
The Start of Hollywood Studios!
Day 2 Continued, Can You Say "Food" Much?
Day 3! Report on the Water!
Day 3 Continued...Time for Poly!
Day 4! Starting out!
Baby Stuff!
More of "Where the Wild Things Are"
Finish Off Day 4!
Baby News!
Day 5...Finally!
Day 5 Finished!
Day 6 Started!
Day 6 Finale!
Some Final Thoughts...
Time to go for Christmas! Dec '12 PTR
TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009

Last edited by amandaluvsgoofy; 06-06-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add links
Old 08-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
pixidustmom
Dreaming of the World

So I may be the first to reply, cool. Looks like a good TR so far, looking forward to hear how it all goes.

Come check out my pre trip report.http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3254412
POFQ 1996POR 2006 and 2009 Going to POP 2014 Disneyland too many to count
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Day 1 - continued

Once we checked in and did a little unpacking, we decided (actually I had already planned) to head to Downtown Disney. By this time J and I had virtually nothing to eat that day. I snuck in a fiber bar and J had a granola bar on the plane. We thought business class would serve breakfast, but just snacks, and I gave my bar to J. I'm not a big fan of raisins and it was covered in it!
So we were both starving!!! We waited for our bus for 10 minutes or so, not too bad.

We got off the bus and headed straight for Wolfgang Puck's Express! Oh my gosh!! This place was soooo good!! Keeping in mind that we were a bit hungry, I forgot to take some pics this day. But I managed to get a few!
J ordered a pizza with meatballs

And I ordered the Spinach Salad with gorganzola (sp?), walnuts, and apple pieces

J and I have a wonderful relationship in that we can both order two dishes and share with each other. I was soooo glad cause his pizza was awesome!
We also ordered a cookie and a frozen yogurt for dessert (gotta love the Disney Dining Plan!). Unfortunately, as soon as we sat down we tore into that cookie! So no picture. But we did get a shot of the swirl frozen yogurt with chocolate chips!

That was a great and filling meal!! Oh well! Time to walk/shop some of that food off!
Gotta love my goofy hubby!

Run, Johhny! Run!!

It was time to head back to our hotel so we could relax and finish unpacking (yes. I'm one of those that can't totally relax on vacation until I'm totally unpacked, hehe!).
It took a good hour for us to get back to the Boardwalk after all the stops and such. I could tell J was getting a little frustrated since he didn't know what to expect. I tried to calm him down by guessing his level of frustration. Level 1 would be nothing at all, totally cool. Level 10 would be something like Mt. Vesuvius. He said he was closing in on a 7.5.
We finally got "home" and relaxed for a bit. Then we cleaned up and headed to Epcot for some dinner.
Side note, for some strange reason I was feeling fish and chips. I tried to call and switch our reservations for the next night from Garden Grill to Rose and Crown, but no luck. Oh well, we decided to head to Yorkshire for a counter service fish & chips and they were awsome!!! Sorry, again no pictures. I guess I wasn't thinkingn straight.

We walked around Epcot and through Future World to get to the monorail for to TTC so we could head to Magic Kingdom which had Evening Extra Magic Hours! Once we arrived, Spectro was going on. We watched a little bit of it then decided to walk over to Tomorrow Land.
Monster's Inc was about to start so we headed in. It was really cute! I even heard J laugh a few times! Now I know we'll both be able to act like kids and will have a great time this week!!
We walked through to Fantasy Land and saw that Peter Pan's Flight had next-to-no wait, so we got in line! By this time, Wishes was getting ready to start. So that explains the small crowds in this area. Wait posted said 20 mins, but we probably waited 15.
The Haunted Mansion was next. The wait again said 20 mins, but we seriously waited maybe 10. J really like it! And I loved it just as I had when I was younger!
We then walked over to Pirates of the Caribbean. I could not believe how much this ride has changed since I last went it. Granted it's been close to 15 years, but still! Anyway, it was fun!
After that, we headed over to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Here's where reality starts to set in that I may not be able to ride everything I wanted to. Our plan was to have J go on some of the questionable rides first and determine if it was safe for me or not. So we both waited in line and I took the "chicken exit". Here's J getting ready to board

I patiently waited outside and was certain that J would tell me it was fine! Unfortunately, he came off the ride and kind of pouted at me.
"I don't think you should ride this one, hun."
"Really?! I didn't think this one would be that bad!"
"Better play it safe for now."
Ugh! Keep in mind, I jog/walk almost every day (used to jog more often, but had to tone in down a bit once the belly started to grow) and my idea is if the baby can handle that (which the doc said was fine) then the baby could handle a little shakey, shakey.
We then walked around for a little bit and decided since it was past 11pm we should be probably head out. After all, we had a busy morning scheduled at Hollywood Studios!
All in all it was a long but GREAT day!!
Here's a (blurred) pic of the castle. Still trying to figure my settings out

TR-Yogi Drags Her Dude Back! Aug 2011 TR - Hubby & Prego do Disney in August 2009
Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
OhioDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Hey BangBang Chicken...Where's Carl?http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post50814403 CURRENT TR in Progress Really? All of us? ... a Jan PTR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3186622
The Most Wonderful Thing About Tiggers...happened to us! A 2013 TRhttp://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066866
Road Trip! Stop1: Inkedupmomma's Wedding, Stop 2: Disney - A Feb 2013 PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post45966160
Small Po-taaaa-toes! My Sept 2011 TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post42885313
The "I said I wasn't going to do a PTR...PTR (Sept 2011) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9#post39927349
Drama Please End...Fun, Please Begin..A Sept TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38357331
Old 08-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
SKTiger
Mouseketeer

Great TR! Can't wait for more!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Great start! I got so excited when I saw the pictures of the Boardwalk. I absolutely love that area and I can't wait to be there myself!!! Can't wait to read more.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Great start, can't wait to hear more!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 08-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

Loving the report!!! Can't wait till the next installment! I feel you on the whole grad school thing!!! I am in the process of getting my MBA now. It is definitely stressful that is fo sure!! June can not come fast enough... I will be offically done. Then again like your hubby, I think I'm moving on to my PhD.

Oh and congrats on the baby!! Your trips to disney will never be the same once your wee one arrives!!! There is nothing like seeing the magic thru their eyes!!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
stacikristine
DIS Veteran

Hi Amanda!! I'm so glad you had a great trip! GREAT first update! Your dress is super cute. And now I'm really, really excited to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express for our first day too I'm anxious to see J's reactions to everything. I'm sure he loved it. And sorry you couldn't ride the intense rides--I know Michael would have been the same way if it was us.

Upcoming: Dec 2012 Animal Kingdom VillasSept 2009 Animal Kingdom Villas (PTR) (TR: 1st Trip as Mr. & Mrs.) Oct 2006 POP Century June 2003 Fort Wilderness Campground July 1989 Off-site

Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
BippityBoo
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!

My stupid laptop was broken! I read your first post through my iPhone but I could not reply

LOVE the TR already! It seems like you guys had a big first day with lots of stuff for the pregger lady to do

You look awesome by the way! Can't wait to read more!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #11
binkytell
DIS Veteran

so happy you guys had a fab time

i think lookin from your view from balcony you could see our room at
yacht club

we already counting down to next year, only 343 days to go,
not many lol

hope you an bambino are keeping well
sarah
Old 08-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
NateNLogansDad
Still Wish'n

I'm in! Our home is the Beach Club but we all love the view of the Boardwalk from our side of the lake! Only 450 days till we MIGHT go again!
Is that bad that I'm counting down to a date that hasn't even been set yet?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDisneyLover View Post
Welcome!! And enjoy the popcorn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKTiger View Post
Great TR! Can't wait for more!
Thanks so much!! I hope to post very soon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Great start! I got so excited when I saw the pictures of the Boardwalk. I absolutely love that area and I can't wait to be there myself!!! Can't wait to read more.
The Boardwalk area is sooooo beautiful!! I'm torn where we should stay next since I LOVED that resort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonsDisneyMom View Post
Loving the report!!! Can't wait till the next installment! I feel you on the whole grad school thing!!! I am in the process of getting my MBA now. It is definitely stressful that is fo sure!! June can not come fast enough... I will be offically done. Then again like your hubby, I think I'm moving on to my PhD.

Oh and congrats on the baby!! Your trips to disney will never be the same once your wee one arrives!!! There is nothing like seeing the magic thru their eyes!!
Good luck with your MBA! I'm sure you'll do great! And much more power to you for going for the PhD!! I really admire people who can go all the way like that!
And thanks!! We're so excited to plan the next trip with little ones in store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacikristine View Post
Hi Amanda!! I'm so glad you had a great trip! GREAT first update! Your dress is super cute. And now I'm really, really excited to eat at Wolfgang Puck Express for our first day too I'm anxious to see J's reactions to everything. I'm sure he loved it. And sorry you couldn't ride the intense rides--I know Michael would have been the same way if it was us.
Hey Staci! It was awesome! I keep thinking where I was this time last week! OMG! WPE was AWESOME!! That is one we plan on returning to next time!!
And no worries about the rides! I was able to squeeze in a few that were do-able for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BippityBoo View Post
I'm here!!

My stupid laptop was broken! I read your first post through my iPhone but I could not reply

LOVE the TR already! It seems like you guys had a big first day with lots of stuff for the pregger lady to do

You look awesome by the way! Can't wait to read more!!
That first day was the perfect beginning to a great trip! I really could have lasted at MK for a while longer, but glad I didn't push it, hehe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binkytell View Post
so happy you guys had a fab time

i think lookin from your view from balcony you could see our room at
yacht club

we already counting down to next year, only 343 days to go,
not many lol

hope you an bambino are keeping well
sarah
Hey Sarah! We did! And I am so tempted to stay at the Yacht or Beach Club next trip! Just looking over the lake at those resorts made my heart melt!
And the baby Mickey has found a temporary home on our bed until we get a crib!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateNLogansDad View Post
I'm in! Our home is the Beach Club but we all love the view of the Boardwalk from our side of the lake! Only 450 days till we MIGHT go again!
Is that bad that I'm counting down to a date that hasn't even been set yet?

Like I said, I LOVE the idea of staying at the Beach Club! And keep counting those days!! Lord knows I'll be there soon (J may not know about! )
Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
amandaluvsgoofy
DIS Veteran

Day 2 coming soon!

Hey everyone!! I promise to post soon (by this weekend at the LATEST!). It's been super busy with inservice and such this week!! Hope everyone is doing great and I'll write soon!
Old 08-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #15
reyasmommy
DIS Veteran

Enjoying your TR thus far!! Congratulations on the baby, when are you due?

I'm currently 24 weeks along today and couldn't imagine doing WDW in my "condtion" I can't wait until we're able to take the baby in March though.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: