Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 07:46 PM   #16
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Living in Pa-I am familiar with Hershey Park-it's actually quite nice-not Disney-but quite nice for a regional park...The Frog Hopper...hmmm....cute ride but methinks that Heckle is going having some explaining to do to Jeckle...

You've been to Edinburgh...?-I've never been to Scotland but have been to London-actually the first time on my honeymoon...and Southern England...I'd love to go to Scotland and actually I would try the haggis at least once to see what I thought-you could always wash it down with a nice red wine or a Scotch if necessary... BTW...what is a neep?

I think your plans look good-and I also think having a "flex" day is a great idea...I envy the Halloween party-you'll have to write a review of it-we've done the Christmas party and I've been dying to do the Halloween party-maybe next year for DD's 16th in October...

I have ressies at many of the same places...Jiko, Boma, and Sanaa for lunch our last day. O'hana is a fun breakfast -I hope it works out for you...if not you have Kona at a possibility for lunch-there is no Lilo and Stitch-but they do a nice lunch...
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Living in Pa-I am familiar with Hershey Park-it's actually quite nice-not Disney-but quite nice for a regional park...The Frog Hopper...hmmm....cute ride but methinks that Heckle is going having some explaining to do to Jeckle...
I think you're right about that one.

For our honeymoon, we went to London (only spent a few days there, so I don't feel like I've really seen it at all), York (which we explored for a few days - there's a wacky museum there which is in the old prison and has a display on the history of obstetric medicine, which made me glad I wasn't a woman giving birth in the 19th century) and Edinburgh. I loved Edinburgh and would go back there in a heartbeat. We spent the better part of a day at Edinburgh Castle. I'm pretty sure neeps are boiled and mashed turnips. Haggis was also served with tatties, which were mashed potatoes. I liked those.

A good friend of mine has done the Halloween party and said it was wonderful, so I'm really looking forward to that. Especially seeing how excited the girls were at the very idea of Halloween at the World!

I think I'll ask about Ohana when we first check in to make sure there won't be a problem. I don't mind eating at Kona instead - and I'm going to make sure Jeckle doesn't know about Stitch until we actually get there and know it's going to happen. She doesn't do well with disappointment (which I think is in part due to her age and the fact that she is very stubborn).

Your description of your son in your PTR reminded me of Jeckle to a certain extent - she will play with other children but has always excelled at entertaining herself. To the point where her pre-k teachers commented on it. They didn't see it as an issue, but thought it was unusual. Have you ever seen the movie Stripes? There's a scene where John Laroquette (sp?) is playing with his army men. He's doing the voices for the men and making the sound effects and having a great time. I think of that movie whenever Jeckle is playing with her toy castle.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2009, 12:48 PM   #18
SilverL
My DH thinks he's Tarzan and I'm Jane. Go figure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarak View Post
But I digress. I do that a lot. Which you may have noticed if youíve read any of this PTR.
I enjoy the digression! It's very entertaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
Hahahaha...I totally had to LOL at this post. My mother is from Greece and I've been a few times and her side of the family is seriously out of My Big Fat Greek Wedding.
Are you related to me? The older generations of my dad's side of the family are very, very Greek.

Shawna (Me): Matthew (DH): (both in early 20's) | 8/01, 1/03, 9/07: Off Site w/family | 9/15/09-9/23/09: Pop Century Disneymoon w/DH!
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m6b514zwo2i71.png[/img]
Read my Pre-Trip Report : DISNEYMOON: "Honey, you didn't list underwear!"
Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #19
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverL View Post
Are you related to me? The older generations of my dad's side of the family are very, very Greek.
HAHA! Umm..I'm sure if you ask either of our families they'll find some sort of connection.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverL View Post
I enjoy the digression! It's very entertaining!
I'll have to tell my husband - sometimes it makes his eyes glaze over.

SilverL - one of our family friend's refers to them as the Greeky Greeks (she is Greek herself, but married a non-Greek, which can still raise eyebrows around here - heaven knows what they think of me). OTOH, my husband's family has embraced me (and especially my kids) like I never expected to be. I grew up with a very small extended family (I have one sibling and one aunt and uncle and two first cousins), so it's neat to see my kids grow up with such a huge family.

There's a local restaurant that we've had breakfast at on Sundays since before our first daughter was born, so our kids have pretty much grown up there. This is our son in an outfit they bought him for Christmas last year. I'm seriously thinking of making this our Christmas card for this year.

While this is another tangent, the owner is Greek, so that's why I thought of it.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
SilverL
My DH thinks he's Tarzan and I'm Jane. Go figure!

That picture needs to go in a slideshow at his wedding someday! That's too funny.

Shawna (Me): Matthew (DH): (both in early 20's) | 8/01, 1/03, 9/07: Off Site w/family | 9/15/09-9/23/09: Pop Century Disneymoon w/DH!
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m6b514zwo2i71.png[/img]
Read my Pre-Trip Report : DISNEYMOON: "Honey, you didn't list underwear!"
Old 08-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #22
tarak
DIS Veteran

SilverL - I always wondered what he was thinking in that outfit - maybe if he didn't cry, we take him out of it?

Jeckle started packing for disneyworld last night. She still doesn't know we're going in a few weeks, so I'm assuming this was for next Christmas. She packed away:
4 pairs of panties
2 1/2 pairs of socks. Maybe she thought the extra sock was lonely.
Dollhouse furniture - specifically a bathtub, refrigerator, and stove. The dollhouse baby was crammed inside the fridge.
Hat and bib for her baby Winnie the Pooh (or Pinnie Wooh, as our kids have always called him). Pinnie Wooh was no-where in sight.

Not a terrible start. I told her we'd put the suitcase away for a while and we can decide later what she needs to pack.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Your description of your son in your PTR reminded me of Jeckle to a certain extent - she will play with other children but has always excelled at entertaining herself. To the point where her pre-k teachers commented on it. They didn't see it as an issue, but thought it was unusual. Have you ever seen the movie Stripes? There's a scene where John Laroquette (sp?) is playing with his army men. He's doing the voices for the men and making the sound effects and having a great time. I think of that movie whenever Jeckle is playing with her toy castle.
I haven't seen Stripes in a while-I'll have to get it on netflix......Depending on what the other children are doing-sometimes you can be your own best company-it's not a bad thing to be able to do...

Quote:

This is our son in an outfit they bought him for Christmas last year. I'm seriously thinking of making this our Christmas card for this year.

That is simultaneously so cute yet so funny I'm not sure whether to laugh, cuddle him or rescue him...

While this is another tangent, the owner is Greek, so that's why I thought of it.
I go off on tangents too-so I totally get it-I sometimes have almost stream of consciousness conversation...

Quote:
SilverL - I always wondered what he was thinking in that outfit - maybe if he didn't cry, we take him out of it?

I'm sure his psyche is totally intact..

Jeckle started packing for disneyworld last night. She still doesn't know we're going in a few weeks, so I'm assuming this was for next Christmas. She packed away:
4 pairs of panties
2 1/2 pairs of socks. Maybe she thought the extra sock was lonely.
Dollhouse furniture - specifically a bathtub, refrigerator, and stove. The dollhouse baby was crammed inside the fridge.
Hat and bib for her baby Winnie the Pooh (or Pinnie Wooh, as our kids have always called him). Pinnie Wooh was no-where in sight.

Not a terrible start. I told her we'd put the suitcase away for a while and we can decide later what she needs to pack.
Hey-I'm impressed she had the socks and underwear-on DS's first go -he just had books and stuffies...
Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post

Hey-I'm impressed she had the socks and underwear-on DS's first go -he just had books and stuffies...
I was surprised she had the underwear at all. And books and stuffed animals can take you far in this world!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:34 PM   #25
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
So Iíve been perusing the proposed schedule for our September trip, and I really donít have much. Which is odd considering how much time and attention Iíve put into planning this trip. How does that work? Iím starting to see some frightening similarities between our itinerary and the work I do as a lawyer. Spend hours and days researching and/or writing to come up with a document that is one page in length. But with any luck is at least lawsuit-proof. I donít think my kids would file an action against me for negligent infliction of emotional distress, but you never know. My husband, FIL and SIL are all attorneys, so it sort of runs in the blood. I havenít planned to spend any time at DHS, for example. Heckle loves the Tower of Terror. And she has convinced Jeckle that itís ďjust likeĒ the Frog Hopper ride at Hershey Park, which Jeckle loves. The Frog Hopper does bounce you up and down Ė three feet at the most, so any similarity to the ToT ends there. So if we donít go, Heckle is mad. If we do go, Jeckle is upset because itís not the Frog Hopper, but an elevator that will drop you a few stories at random intervals and she's now scared and feeling betrayed. Not a good combo in a 5 year old. You just canít win.

Jeckle has her heart set on finding ďthat plant ladyĒ at Animal Kingdom. Which Iím gathering from reading other TRs is easier said than done. The girls know that weíre going next year, so my planned response to complaints that they want to do something this time around is ďwe canít do everything this year, but we can try for next year.Ē Iím assuming that this will not go over well, since statements like ďI know you want to go to the mall, but itís 9 oíclock and itís past your bedtime, the stores are closed and we canít go before Saturday, anyway" are met with either stony silence, or a dramatic drop to the floor and a pronouncement that the world, and I, am not fair. Not fair at all. And letís face it, when youíre young, time moves at a glacial pace. Itís only when youíre old like me that a year passes at what seems like breakneck speed.

I know my mom wouldnít sue me. Sheís not the type. Sheíd just shrug her shoulders and sigh. Honestly, Iíd rather be sued.
Nice to know it's not just MY 7 year old who is besieged by "the drama".
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #26
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:

Has he been asking for a Red Ryder BB gun, too?

All I can think when I see that photo is the Bunny Suit Ralphie wears at the end of "A Christmas Story".

Though the above "suit" is much cuter....
Old 08-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #27
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
But I digress. I do that a lot. Which you may have noticed if youíve read any of this PTR.
Isn't digression the better part of valor??

Loving the PTR, so far.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:21 PM   #28
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

I somehow missed all these lovely updates you did in the recent days! They are a lot of fun. Your son looks so cute in that snowman outfit!!

I am glad you finally got paid for your job, what a horrible situation not getting paid for the work you do (I guess it is stil better than loosing a job, but nevertheless!). It's good that they started paying you in time for the trip.

I had to laugh at your comment about doing lots of research for very little output. I am like that, too! But I think after a few Disney trips having detailed plans seems much less important than for the first trips. I find myself planning much more for our January trip than for the last because it will be my sisters first trip, so I feel that we need to see a lot.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! Ė Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 08-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #29
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Isn't digression the better part of valor??
Old 08-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #30
tarak
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I somehow missed all these lovely updates you did in the recent days! They are a lot of fun. Your son looks so cute in that snowman outfit!!

I am glad you finally got paid for your job, what a horrible situation not getting paid for the work you do (I guess it is stil better than loosing a job, but nevertheless!). It's good that they started paying you in time for the trip.

I had to laugh at your comment about doing lots of research for very little output. I am like that, too! But I think after a few Disney trips having detailed plans seems much less important than for the first trips. I find myself planning much more for our January trip than for the last because it will be my sisters first trip, so I feel that we need to see a lot.
Thanks for the comments on my son. I feel bad leaving him behind with my husband. The last time I took the girls somewhere without him, he wanted nothing to do with me for a few months - only my husband could put him to bed, he didn't want me to hold him. He was seriously ticked off at me.

There are times that Jeckle tempts me to take him instead of her because he's so generally easy going and she is bull-headed as can be. And DH says no way is he going to swap. Jeckle is a clone of her father, BTW.

This is my mom's first trip to WDW as well - I'm just hoping that I'm not building it up too much for her.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: