Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #151
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I find I can read for hours on end. If I listen to a book....I'm asleep in minutes. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm not doing anything.
I listen to books while I am driving - I'd better not fall asleep!

Listening to books can be very soothing, so I can understand you falling asleep in minutes.

My partner really likes me to read aloud to him. We used to take turns, but I am a better reader, so it is mostly me now.

I read aloud all of Typee: A Peep at Polynesian Life and Omoo: A Narrative of Adventures in the South Seas by Melville, Wind in the Willows and the sequels, Tom Sawyer and more. Sometimes the next night, I would have to read read the last few pages from the night before because he dozed off while I was reading.

BTW - I enjoyed these two Melvilles more than Moby Dick.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #152
Decorated_Dust
Live from the Magical World within my brain...

Speaking of audio books, I'm looking for one (or two) to keep my mind occupied when I drive to TN since I'll be by myself. I was thinking of getting Harry Potter and putting it on my iPod, but it would be too long. I already have all of the Chronicles of Narnia in audio form, but I have listened to it so many times I need a change (and I am a little sick of the creepy voice they gave Aslan). Anything like those two would be great.

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Decorated_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #153
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

We were at Dollar Tree yesterday and they had a big bin of books. I found "The Wonder Spot" Melissa Bank. I didn't like her novel, "Girls Guide To Hunting and Fishing"...but I am really enjoying this one. If you have a Dollar Tree nearby, definitely check it out; occasionally I've found some good titles there.
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:56 PM   #154
robertgp124
DIS Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorated_Dust View Post
Speaking of audio books, I'm looking for one (or two) to keep my mind occupied when I drive to TN since I'll be by myself. I was thinking of getting Harry Potter and putting it on my iPod, but it would be too long. I already have all of the Chronicles of Narnia in audio form, but I have listened to it so many times I need a change (and I am a little sick of the creepy voice they gave Aslan). Anything like those two would be great.
Get Michael Palin's Around the World in 80 Days. I found it relaxing, funny, and interesting. He narrates it himself. It's about 6 hours long (or so) if memory serves. Both my wife and I devoured it.

I'm working on his Full Circle now. Palin has a way with words. He can draw a beautiful picture with his narration, such that you are fully engaged in the story. I am always wondering what will happen next, what we will see. But since these books are travelogues, there is no real tension. You can listen to these books and forget your worries.

It's a bit like listening to the podcast.

I suppose Palin does an occasional rant, but no where near as good as Pete's. And I'd love to see him take Kevin to some of the restaurants he finds on his trips.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #155
Decorated_Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgp124 View Post
Get Michael Palin's Around the World in 80 Days. I found it relaxing, funny, and interesting. He narrates it himself. It's about 6 hours long (or so) if memory serves. Both my wife and I devoured it.

I'm working on his Full Circle now. Palin has a way with words. He can draw a beautiful picture with his narration, such that you are fully engaged in the story. I am always wondering what will happen next, what we will see. But since these books are travelogues, there is no real tension. You can listen to these books and forget your worries.

It's a bit like listening to the podcast.

I suppose Palin does an occasional rant, but no where near as good as Pete's. And I'd love to see him take Kevin to some of the restaurants he finds on his trips.
Thanks for the suggestion, although you did make me a little confused. When I read your post I said, "I thought Jules Verne wrote that book." Then I remembered it's something different. I will definitely keep that in mind though. I will have to look that up. I LOVE travelogues

On the suggestion of a couple other people, I actually got The Kite Runner and In Cold Blood on audio at the library. I can only listen to one, though. I'm a huge true crime fan, but I am also interested in fiction taking place in modern historical events. Which is the best thing to keep me awake on a 12 hour drive in everyone's opinion?

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Old 08-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #156
Mouse Skywalker
The Force is strong with this Podcast Correspondent

Quote:
On the suggestion of a couple other people, I actually got The Kite Runner and In Cold Blood on audio at the library. I can only listen to one, though. I'm a huge true crime fan, but I am also interested in fiction taking place in modern historical events. Which is the best thing to keep me awake on a 12 hour drive in everyone's opinion?
Oooh, I loved both of those books Ashley. I remember In Cold Blood being pretty graphic though. My opinion would be start with The Kite Runner. I really liked getting a glimpse into life in Afghanistan. It was pretty eye-opening. I ended up reading A Thousand Splendid Suns too.

2010 WDW Half Marathon; Mickey's Halloween 5K; Wine&Dine Half Marathon
2009 WDW Half Marathon; Muddy Buddy Orlando 2008 Inaugural Exp Everest Chall
2007 Marine Corps Marathon 4:28:50 PR (Thanks again WISHers!)
2007 WL WDW Marathon 5:05.08 (Thank you WISH Racing Team!)
Mouse Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #157
Decorated_Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Skywalker View Post
Oooh, I loved both of those books Ashley. I remember In Cold Blood being pretty graphic though. My opinion would be start with The Kite Runner. I really liked getting a glimpse into life in Afghanistan. It was pretty eye-opening. I ended up reading A Thousand Splendid Suns too.
Thanks, Dave. That's what I was leaning toward, too. I have been dying to read The Kite Runner for the longest time because it seemed like something I would love. Besides, I don't know how wise it would be to listen to a story about people meeting their bloody end while I'm driving in my little car in between two eighteen wheelers on the interstate.

Facebook

Twitter
Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM   #158
Mouse Skywalker
The Force is strong with this Podcast Correspondent

Quote:
Thanks, Dave. That's what I was leaning toward, too. I have been dying to read The Kite Runner for the longest time because it seemed like something I would love. Besides, I don't know how wise it would be to listen to a story about people meeting their bloody end while I'm driving in my little car in between two eighteen wheelers on the interstate.
Yeah, I read In Cold Blood about 10 years ago, and some of those scenes really stuck with me. Plus, the killers are "on the road" too - maybe not something you want to think about while you're on the road. Good luck with the move Ashley.

2010 WDW Half Marathon; Mickey's Halloween 5K; Wine&Dine Half Marathon
2009 WDW Half Marathon; Muddy Buddy Orlando 2008 Inaugural Exp Everest Chall
2007 Marine Corps Marathon 4:28:50 PR (Thanks again WISHers!)
2007 WL WDW Marathon 5:05.08 (Thank you WISH Racing Team!)
Mouse Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #159
wtlivesey
GoofyGuyInDelaware

Wanted to add a book I just finished and absolutely feel in love with. Not sure if anyone mentioned it previously. The Lottery, for the life of me I can remember the author, I remember it was a female writer and it was her first novel. What a great story, a real feel good story, and they usually aren't my kind of book, but this one was wonderful. Just started Dirty Job by Christopher Moore, again I'm not really into humorous books, I usually go for suspense and historical nonfiction, but so far am loving Dirty Work, keep the suggestions coming, I'm loving this thread!!!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #160
AnninIowa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse Skywalker View Post
Yeah, I read In Cold Blood about 10 years ago, and some of those scenes really stuck with me. Plus, the killers are "on the road" too - maybe not something you want to think about while you're on the road. Good luck with the move Ashley.

I haven't read "In Cold Blood"; the TV movie (with Anthony Edwards as one of the killers) was tramatic enough! My dad, however, loves true crime novels and has read it.
AnninIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 PM   #161
mainegal
I am becoming very good at making crushed ice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtlivesey View Post
Wanted to add a book I just finished and absolutely feel in love with. Not sure if anyone mentioned it previously. The Lottery, for the life of me I can remember the author, I remember it was a female writer and it was her first novel. What a great story, a real feel good story, and they usually aren't my kind of book, but this one was wonderful.
Lottery by Patricia Wood.

Excellent book!

From Publishers Weekly
Perry Crandall has an IQ of 76, but is not retarded, as he'll have you know: his IQ would need to be less than 75 for that, and he knows the difference even if others may not. Perry, the 32-year-old narrator of Wood's warm-fuzzy debut, has worked at the same marine supply store for half his life and lives with his wisecracking grandmother Gram, whose gems of folk wisdom help him along. But when Gram dies, Perry's selfish, money-grubbing family members swoop in and swindle him out of the proceeds from the sale of her house—and then come a-knocking again when Perry wins $12 million in the Washington State Lottery. Suddenly everyone is paying attention to Perry, but who can he trust? Even his friends from the marine supply store behave differently, and on top of everything else, Perry finds himself falling for convenience store clerk Cherry, who has problems of her own. Despite his family's shenanigans and sinister maneuverings, Perry holds his own and discovers abilities he didn't know he had. The wisdoms here run more cute than deep, but Wood's light humor and likable narrator should have mass appeal. (Aug.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
mainegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #162
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Kindle Owners

Dan Brown's new book, The Lost Symbol...the follow up to The DaVinci Code, is available from Amazon as a pre-order.

The price is $9.99, which is shockingly low, and the release date is 9/15/09

Just pre-ordered my copy.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #163
Plutes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Dan Brown's new book, The Lost Symbol...the follow up to The DaVinci Code, is available from Amazon as a pre-order.

The price is $9.99, which is shockingly low, and the release date is 9/15/09

Just pre-ordered my copy.
I think I'm #2 on the list at my library for this one, so I'm holding off. If they make me wait more than two weeks, though, at least I know where I can get it for $9.99 Thanks!

Oh, and BTW, I'm about halfway through that 'Paranoia' book that I downloaded...not bad at all...especially for free!

Plutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 AM   #164
corky441

It's not the pace of life than concerns me... it's the sudden stop at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutes View Post

Oh, and BTW, I'm about halfway through that 'Paranoia' book that I downloaded...not bad at all...especially for free!
Thanks for the update on that one - I downloaded it too and was planning on reading it as soon as I finish the List

Me & DH(Dino) Kelly K.C. Magoo Emmett
corky441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #165
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

I think that since this will be an ongoing discussion and doesnt have an expirartion date....

This thread should be stuck to the top of the Unplugged Board.

Hope this helps everyone find us.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: